493 Descending into the Chasm
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While Elder Baili was having his identity crisis and Yun Bei Fen was trying to learn a new attack, Mei Chao Bing and blue butterfly had already arrived at the edge of the southern chasm. They were still standing in blue butterfly’s dreamscape though.

“I won’t come out with you. You might not know this but I’m the one responsible for creating this chasm and killing most of these people. So I don’t think it’d be good for me to be anywhere close.”

Mei Chao Bing nodded. “Well, it’s better anyway. We don’t know if this magical box will work. If there is some kind of drawback, it’s better if only one of us gets injured.”

Blue butterfly retracted her gaze that had been fixed on the edge of the chasm and turned to Mei Chao Bing. “You know that it’d be best if you got out of this uninjured as well, right?”

Mei Chao Bing also turned to look to the side. “Naturally. But I’m being realistic. This is a spiritual tool that has never been tested before so it’s hard to say what the outcome will be. Not to mention that this is the southern chasm after all. It’s not an easy place to deal with.”

Actually, there was one more thing that went through his mind: The energy in this chasm was that from resentful souls. It was the kind that invaded the mind and could cause inner demons. You needed a high mental fortitude to resist this. Considering his past, he wasn’t sure if he had that.

Yes, he would never join the other side because he hated his Master for what he had done to him. But that didn’t mean that his Master’s betrayal and being shunned by the other disciples and the Elders for years hadn’t left behind scars. Those were precisely the kind of opportunities vengeful spirits would use and he wasn’t sure if he was up to defend himself against this.

He thought of Yun Bei Fen and sighed faintly. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to come back. By now, he had reason to not let anything happen to himself. But he couldn’t deny the possibility.

Blue butterfly watched his expression and finally reached out to pat his back. “Don’t worry. Didn’t the other disciples from your sect think that this spiritual tool might be reliable? Surely, it won’t end in a disaster. Just think positive and give it your best shot! Also … try and stay as focused as you can so that I can pull you back in as fast as possible.”

“If I do get attacked, that’ll be difficult.”

“Hence why I’m telling you beforehand.”

Mei Chao Bing’s lips twitched. He wasn’t sure if that would really help but a warning at least couldn’t hurt. “I will do my best. Now, should we move?”

Blue butterfly gave a hum. “I could bring you down there in the dreamscape but I’m not sure if throwing you out where the spirits are would be such a good idea. They might get enraged because of the memory.”

Mei Chao Bing pulled out the magical box and weighed it in his hands. “Maybe that wouldn’t be such a bad idea. I can’t stay in this state for long so if you want me to retain it so that you can easily retrieve me, this’ll have to be done fast. The easiest way to do that would be to enrage them and make them come at me at once.”

Blue butterfly raised her brows. “That sounds like a surefire way to get yourself killed though. You don’t know how much energy this thing can actually store, after all. If there is too much energy and I don’t get you out in time …”

Mei Chao Bing gave a hum. That was indeed a possibility. For a moment, he wondered if he should give it a try nonetheless. But then, he thought of Yun Bei Fen again and sighed. “Alright, let me out here. I’ll find my way down on my own and then try it bit by bit.”

Blue butterfly nodded, opened the dreamscape on one side, and pushed him out.

Mei Chao Bing nodded to where she had been before and then walked up to the edge of the chasm. He had come here before when he was younger, a while before his Master had betrayed the sect, so he wasn’t completely unfamiliar with the chasm. He couldn’t be compared to Zhi Guan who had taken several trips here though.

For a while, he looked for a good way down, hoping that he wouldn’t need to waste any spiritual energy on this. At the bottom, he might need it, after all, so he’d rather not use it when it wasn’t absolutely necessary.

Blue butterfly watched him and couldn’t help but sigh. She roughly knew where Zhi Guan had made his way down so she could have helped but she didn’t dare to come out this close to the chasm. Thus, she could only watch anxiously, grumbling to herself whenever he went in the wrong direction and widening her eyes expectantly when he tried the other direction. In between, she cursed herself for not having said anything to him before.

Finally, Mei Chao Bing spotted a place where it seemed slightly easier to descend into the chasm. It wasn’t the same spot that Zhi Guan had used so blue butterfly felt anxious seeing him try but Mei Chao Bing had no idea what she was up to so he only focused on himself and the path down.

Bit by bit, he found a way, only using a sliver of spiritual energy whenever there was no other option. When he arrived at the bottom of the chasm, his reserves of spiritual energy were still almost full, making him hopeful that the rest of this trip would work out well. Now, he first needed to give the magical box a try to see if it could store energy at all.

0