1
89 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I could hear the wind picking up outside my bedroom walls. The branches of the large maple tree on our front lawn thrashing against the glass panels covering the north side of my room. 

 I looked out and sighed. 

Another stormy night. I should have been used to it by now, you know, being a vampire and all, but I wasn't. 

 The skies were clouded over and the thunder roaring not too far away added to the eerily quiet street running down the front of the house. 

 I wouldn't say that my street was a particularly busy one, but it was frequently driven on by those who knew it was a shortcut to the highway. So seeing absolutely no cars was a big sign that something nasty was coming our way. 

 I watched as a few branches banged loudly against the cool glass encasing me. 

 "May? You ready?" 

 The familiar call of my brother made me finally get up and quickly run to the kitchen where he was waiting. 

 The house was huge and a normal person probably wouldnt have heard him, but for our kind it sounded like he was shouting. 

 "Perfect weather right?" 

 My brother was smiling as he watched the trees in the forest behind our house as they swayed violently into eachother. 

 I rolled my eyes. 

 "Not my particular choice of words I'd choose for this," I said while pointing to the now completely black skies. 

 "C'mon. It's been almost 60 years. You should be use to it by now." 

 I scoffed.

"Don't remind me." 

"What's so bad about being a vampire anyways? It's really awesome!" 

 He was gleaming now. His whiskey brown eyes sparkling with glee. 

 My brother was the total opposite of me. He was happy to be a vampire. One of the most feared creatures on this planet. 

 It didn't help that he had gotten all the 'Good Genes' from our parents either. He was tall, handsome, athletic and smart. 

He was well liked even before turning and now he was even more good-looking than before and even more popular. If that was even possible. 

 Nobody cared that he was half japanese and they never made jokes about him having 'Chink eyes' or being 'yellow' like they did with me. 

 Maybe it was his confident aura that made them shy away from saying those things or the fangs that were hiding behind his killer smile. 

 He did look like he could knock someone out with one punch though. With or without the vampire charm. 

 I, on the other hand, was what someone would consider average or plain. Whichever you prefer. 

I wasn't too thin or too big. Too tall or too small.

My eyes were shaped like almonds, just like my brother and we both wore the same whiskey shade in our irises, just like our foster parents. 

 Well, that's what we call them in front of the humans at least.

They were the ones who found us after the accident almost 60 years ago and turned us into this. 

 Miles' booming voice brought me back to reality. 

 "Are you going to stand there all day and starve or are we going to get ourselves something to eat?" 

 I grimaced at the thought of getting wet and muddy. 

Growing up on an island with the sun shining and warming my skin all while the cool salty breeze brushed the sweat dripping down my face was definitely a memory that I terribly missed at times like these. 

 In fact, the sunlight had to be avoided at all costs if we didnt want to end up with excruciating blisters all over our body, which eventually burned us slowly from the outside. 

 But the pro was that the process took a long time, so we could get away with a day in the sun as long as it wasn't too hot. A few rays couldn't kill us or expose us. 

 I rolled up my sleeve knowing that the cold October air of New Hampshire wouldn't phase me at all.

Not since I became like this. 

 Our bodies also ran a bit cooler than the average human, but not enough for them to notice if they accidently bumped into us. It would feel like we'd been in a room with the A.C. too high or we were out in the cold without proper attire. 

 We still felt like humans. Soft and fleshy on the outside, but harder than diamonds on the inside. We didn't have to breathe or eat like they did. Sleep was also a distant memory. 

 What I would give to have one more sweet dream. 

 Miles was already out the door and at the outer edge of the forest while I fought with my hair that slapped across my face like a thousand whips. 

"Ugh. Maybe I should just cut it off. This stupid useless hair." 

"You know it'll just grow back within seconds." 

 "I know," I mumbled as I followed Miles deep into the forest. 

 We recently moved into a small house located on the outer edge of a small town. We were the last house on the street, but it wasn't as quiet as I had hoped. Not with the highway close by. 

 We were now making our way up the side of a mountain. We climbed up the large boulders with ease and Miles glanced back at me to give me a smirk. 

He wanted to race again. 

I shook my head in understanding. 

 "No. Not today. I'm not in the mood." 

 "C'mon May. It'll be fun. I can already smell the bears not too far from here." 

 I shook my head again. I didn't want to play his stupid games. 

He always won. 

 Of course he did.

He was an athlete and that athletic ability had carried on to his new life while I, although less clumsier, wasn't as graceful as most vampires were. 

 "Fine," Miles grumbled, but it was followed by a low chuckle when he saw me trip over a small pebble. 

 "Seriously, how do you even do that? Was that on purpose?" 

 I glared at him through my wet hair that was plastered all over face. 

 "Of course not! I'm sorry I'm not as awesome as you are at all this," I said while gesturing to the woods around us. 

 He rolled his eyes. "Drama queen." 

 We didn't talk again until we finally found our meal and satisfied the burning hunger that scorched through our body. 

 Once we were back home we changed into some dry clean clothes and plopped down onto the couch in our living room. 

"Tomorrows the big day huh." 

Miles was leaned back and relaxed. His hands behind his head to support his massive body that was way too big for the couch. 

 "Yup. I'm so thrilled." 

The sarcasm in my voice didn't go unnoticed. 

 "Maybe you should try to fit in this time instead of making excuses." 

 Miles always thought that I was the reason why nobody liked me. He said that I "lacked personality". 

 "I'm sorry you took all the good Genes from the pool. I guess the only thing left was being boring and plain." 

 He snorted at my reply. 

 "You make yourself boring, May. You wouldn't be half as a bad if you would try to fit in. Join the cheerleading squad. Lose the attitude." 

 My hands balled into fists. I squeezed them so tight, I could feel the bones pushing against my skin, trying to poke through the tough exterior. 

 I got up and stood in front of him. A low growl erupting from my throat. 

 "And you've got a temper like a mad man," he added with a smirk. 

 That did it. I launched my body onto his and we began to wrestle, knocking down every single furniture and thing that stood in our way. 

 We were lucky that the house was still standing when Reza and Winny walked in. 

 Their eyes scanned the room until they finally landed on us. 

"Miles! May!" 

 We stopped to look up at them. Reza's eyes which were normally the same shade of brown as ours was now black with rage. They matched his dark curly hair and the thick brows that were now bunched together in the center.

Then we saw the damage that we had done. 

 "Fuck." 

Miles was already on his feet trying to piece the house together, but it was no use. We'd have to hire a contractor and re-design the whole interior. 

 "The room looks bigger at least. Isn't that a plus?" 

 Miles weakly smiled through the remnants of the wall that use to stand between the living room and the kitchen.

Reza shook his head. 

 "Miles. May," he said more calmly this time. "We've been here all, but one night and the home is already destroyed. If we want to blend with the humans, we have to be inconspicuous." 

The last word was drawn out as he eyed the disaster in front of him.

He was about to say something again, but Winny interrupted him. 

 "Rez, it's a new town, a new state. They're probably overwhelmed with all the changes happening around them." 

 Reza pinched the bridge of his nose and slightly shook his head in disagreement to what Winny was saying. 

 "We've done this long enough. We move every 3-4 years. This can't happen every time we move!" 

 "They're just nervous about school," Winny cried, trying to calm him down. 

 Reza let out a sigh. He was exasperated from his stressful first day at the law firm and didn't have the energy to fight with us too. 

 Putting up a facade each time we moved was difficult for all of us. Attending high school a million times. Once in a while we'll go to college, but that was pushing it with our never aging frozen faces. 

 It was especially hard for Reza when he had decades of experience, but had to play it off like he had only worked in the field for a few years.  

"What's the story this time," Miles asked when he felt that it was safe to talk again. 

 The yellow ringlets that had escaped Winnys pulled back hair trembled as she began to let out a high pitched howl. Tears were forming under her eyes replacing the soft smooth flesh with droplets of pink salty water. 

 "What's so funny," Reza questioned..  

He eyed her with caution, afraid that she had lost her mind. 

 She wiped away the tears with the back of her hands. Sniffling she answered, "It's just... we've been in this house less than 24 hours and it's already destroyed and the only thing Miles is worried about is what our story will be?" 

 I smiled too at the thought of our house falling apart, us being vampires and the only thing he could come up with was a cover story to blend in as "normal" humans. 

 "Let's clean up this mess first and we'll talk about it afterwards," Reza breathed as he dropped his briefcase by the door.   

5