Welcome to Dos 006 – The Side Mission
223 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bit of an update: I've been working on the rewrite of Planetary Brawl that I started on Royal Road. I'm now bringing it here. This means that the previous work up to chapter 27~ has been scrapped and I will work harder to put out quality over quantity. Unfortunately, I'm still fickle in when I write, and real-life commitments still interrupt me, so the time between updates may be wonky. I've already updated the previous five chapters so from now on it'll be new chapters uploaded like this one.

Sorry if you don't want to read through 20 odd chapters again, feel free to come back when there is enough posted, otherwise thanks for reading!


While Dustin and Ben continued their trek through the forest, intent on finding whatever had constructed the trail, the students remaining on the hill at dungeon entrance grew tired.

The constant stress of fearing an impending attack took a toll on them, Dustin’s friends most of all. Jennifer was pale and dabbed at the beads of sweat gathering on her forehead. They had been sitting in the sun for over two hours now, and the shade of the forest was looking like an attractive alternative.

The other students shared her sentiment, and a few brought up the issue to Sam, who argued for staying on the spot to wait out their alien imprisonment where they had first appeared. Kantaro and Markus remained silent through the argument, weighing up which side to take.

The benefits and consequences of entering the treeline were obvious. They would trade a favourable defensive position for shade. Heatstroke was a concern, and with the force of two suns bearing down on them, it was coming close to reality.

“I say we move into the forest,” Jennifer piped up, her finger striking the bow slung across her shoulder. Kantaro looked over at her and nodded. His hands clasped around the metal bat, almost pruning his fingers from the sweat that dripped down them.

It would soon impact his ability to swing the bat without throwing it instead. Markus listened to the whispers of his girlfriend, who was in the class that Sam taught, and waited for her to decide.

It’s a fair point, but we can’t guarantee everyone’s safety. I don’t want a repeat…”

The students shifted to the right, glancing at Jennifer who flinched under their accusing looks.

“I think it’s going to be dangerous if we stay here anyway, I’d at least like to get away from the sun,” Kantaro said, wiping his hands down his shorts. The students overwhelmed by the heat nodded their heads and groaned in agreement. Sam bit her lip and looked down at the treeline. If the mutated animal carcasses had not entered her vision, it would have been an easy choice.

Alright, let’s go down. If anything happens, we can run back up the hill.” She decided, letting Kantaro take the lead. Taking careful steps to avoid tripping, the class descended into the forest, sighing with grinning faces as the tree canopy high above them blocked the sun’s harsh beat-down.


On the opposite side of the forest, Dustin and Ben were moving through the forest at a walking pace. The trail twisted and turned, revealing nothing but more trail around the bends.

Dustin questioned if they had gone the wrong way. Signs of goblin interference still laid at intersections or long stretches, featuring the same mark as previous bone piles.

The terrain shifted into a rocky outcrop as the treeline broke away, gifting Dustin and Ben rays of sunlight again. The large rock formation was a dull grey in colour, made up of sandstone. Under constant assault from wind and rain, it had weathered the rock down, revealing a cave created from run-off.

Ben glanced around the clearing, searching for any signs of movement. The trail led towards the rocks, ending at the foot of the cave.

“Are we going inside?” Ben asked, swinging the bat in his hand around in a circle.

Dustin was no geologist, he couldn’t estimate how long the cave was. What he could guess awaited them were goblin traps.

small dark area was a perfect place for them to set up an ambush. Goblins had a much better night vision than humans, and they were small enough to remain unnoticed to any with an untrained eye.

There were no noises coming from the cave and no signs of goblin interference in the area. Despite that, Dustin knew they would have laid several traps around.

Dustin tossed up whether to investigate the cave. If the dungeon’s boss was inside, he could save himself the effort of hunting it later and save the students before casualties arose.

The unknown factors were the boss itself, and whether Ben could escape unscathed. Disabling the traps was child’s play, and any goblin’s below the level of a dungeon boss were easy targets outside of an ambush.

“Stay here for a second,” Dustin whispered, moving towards the rocks. He placed his bat on the ground in front of him, sliding it side to side. After a few metres, the bat sunk into the leaf-covered ground, sending a few tumbling. The hole was far from natural, and when Dustin gave it a push, the rest of the leaves fell into a pit below.

Crude wooden spikes stuck up from the ground at the bottom of the pit, now adorned with yellow and brown leaves.

Ben approached on Dustin’s side and looked down into the holehis eyes wide.

“Nasty.”

Dustin smirked and looked up towards the entrance to the cave. From his position, he could spot at least one tripwire running across the trail, and several more pitfalls.

“So cannibals, then?” Ben muttered, his eyes glued to the wooden spikes. Dustin tapped him on the shoulder and stepped around the pitfall, using his bat to move forward.

Each time he collapsed a pitfallBen would move up again and wait, letting Dustin perform the dangerous part.

As he neared the tripwire, made from spider silkDustin followed the silk to find what kind of trap it was.

The silk ran through wood splinters stabbed into the ground on either side of the trail. On one sidethe silk continued up onto the rocks that formed the cave entrance, and a small wooden plank nestled up against it. The silk attached to the side of the wood, and a pile of loose rocks threatened to fall on top of him should the plank fall.

When an intruder activates the tripwire, it would pull the plank down, releasing the rocks to fall upon the unfortunate soul waiting beneath.

Dustin had to admit that it hid the silk well against the rocky backdrop, indistinguishable from a distance. The wooden plank was only visible from further away, where one concentrating on avoiding pitfalls was the priority.

With a smile, Dustin used his bat to shift the thick cover of leaves on the other side of the tripwire. The cleared leaves revealed a rusted metal plate underneath. The trap doubled as an alarm, as the rocks hitting the plate would alert anything inside the cave to their presence.

Dustin waved Ben over, and the two of them stepped over the wire and plate in unison, leaving them at the cusp of the caveDark green moss covered the sandstone walls, and the goblins had drawn crude markings on the right-hand side. Charcoal was used to create drawings, the black lines hard to see against the dark backdrop.

Still, Dustin could make out the simple language goblins used to communicate. The further he read, the more his frown grew. The drawings marked the area as goblin territory and listed its general purpose.

goblin head, smaller than the ones he had seen carved into the animal skulls, laid above some large text.

Dustin ran his hand over the last word and sighed, turning to look deeper into the cave. He would not be facing down the dungeon’s boss, but something equal in the damage it would cause.

Ben was tapping his foot on the ground and grinning at Dustin, oblivious to the horror he might witness deeper within.

The area would provide rewards for solving or clearing it, which was enticing for Dustin. But he questioned if it was worth the graphic sight that awaited them.

Looking at Ben’s excitement, Dustin thought about his friend's purpose. Bringing Ben along would adjust him to a life in the new world, which was key in raising the chances of survival. Dustin fought against the urge to send Ben away.

Why am I bringing Ben into all of this?

Circumventing his death was the primary cause, an easy fix. Dustin could stop him from buying the item that led to his downfall, prevent him from earning enough money to buy it, or just kill those responsible before they could commit the foul deed.

Either way, Ben would continue to live past his previous expiration, and his future was undetermined. Dustin maintained his firm belief that everyone had a part to play in saving humanity, as it would require the entire earth’s effort to survive. Could he keep Ben and his other loved ones from the fight just to keep them safe?

“What are we waiting for?” Ben asked, peering over Dustin’s shoulder into the darkness.

Dustin hesitated, looking his friend right in the eye.

“It might be dangerous. Could you wait here if I go check it out?” Dustin asked, still unsure of what part Ben would play.

“If it’s dangerous, then I should go with you.”

Ben punched Dustin in the shoulder and pointed his bat down the cave. “You think I’ll leave you alone to explore? I’ve been spelunking more than you. Maybe you should stay behind if you’re so scared?”

Dustin had to admit that Ben’s smile was contagious. Looking down the dark and damp hallway with his friend, he went for it.

Unsure of whether goblins absence was a blessing or a curse, Dustin and Ben took their time descending the cave. There were no split ends, just a single path leading deeper into the rock. Damp moss covered the tunnel walls and a pool of dirty water splashed the bottom of their armour with each step.

The goblins placed torches along the tunnel, providing just enough light for them to see ahead until the next torch.

The faint orange glow revealed no green children running about, alarming Dustin. Unsure of what state the end of the cave would be in, he had his bow at the ready, determined to nail anything short and green with an arrow.

The tunnels grew tighter as it forced Dustin and Ben to crouch forwardShould we turn back? Dustin thought, struggling to keep his bow aimed forward without the tip of it scraping against the rock.

Ben was unfazed by the tight space and crouch walked forward, keeping his metal bat perpendicular to him. The tunnel grew lighter as a bright room opened up in front of them. Stopping Ben with a hand to his chest, Dustin poked his head out to look.

His bow hand itched as his eyes adjusted to the new level of light, taking in the room.

Cages made from wood sat on the right side of the room, containing a figure in each. Squinting to catch a better lookDustin could make out what race three of the females were, and one that was new to him. The one that alarmed him most was not an alien race, but a dirty female human who sat with her back against the cage, the life gone from her eyes.

She had ripped tracksuit pants and dirty dark green shirt on, torn apart to reveal her chest. Claw marks were visible all over her body, and Dustin didn’t need to look at her lower body to work out what had become of her.

He burned the image to memory and looked at the child-sized silhouettes lazing around. Three goblins sat at the rim of the caged area, playing with stray rocks, their faces twisted and grinning. They threw rocks at each other, creating welts where they landed.

One goblin was missing a pointy ear and had a sharp stone by its side. The others were more armed, carrying a spear and rusty metal shard.

Peering to his left, Dustin noticed the unmoving bodies lying in a heap, covered in a foul yellow liquid. Looking back at BenDustin bit his lip and held a finger over his mouth, then switched places, letting his friend take his first look at the cruelty of Dos.

Ben looked around the room, and his body stiffened when the cages and goblins came into sight. He moved his head forward to see more, and when his breath hiked from the sight of caged women, Dustin pulled him back, Dustin placed a hand over Ben’s mouth and looked into his eyes.

Fear swirled within them, trembling like tremors before an earthquake. His eyebrows curved downwards. Dustin kept a finger over his mouth as he pulled his hand away, leading Ben away from the room a suitable distance.

“They look like goblins,” Dustin started, looking back towards the room, his fingernails digging into his palm. Ben nodded and sat down with his back against the wall, heaving ragged breaths. Sweat soaked the front of his black shirt, and he held his knees with shaky hands.

“And they had…”

Ben’s lips quivered, and he resisted the bile that fought tooth and nail to climb its way up to his throat.

“A woman.”

Shaking his head, Ben looked up at Dustin and wondered why Dustin wasn’t shaking or vomiting. Rather than fear, sadness, or nauseaDustin was holding his bow in an iron grip, and his nostrils flared.

“You want to kill them?”

Dustin’s eyes shot to Ben, looking over the quivering mess. Even if Ben could not act, Dustin would kill the goblins for what they had done.

“They aren’t human,” Dustin growled, running the tip of his finger over one of the arrowheads, almost to the point of drawing blood.

While he looked calm on the surface, Dustin’s mind was attempting to draw his reeling body back into control. Although his memories were vivid, it was nothing compared to seeing the real thing.

He was just as terrified, more than Ben, but he knew that funnelling the feeling into anger was a better way to handle the situation. He kept his breakfast down and tensed the muscles in his arms and legs to stop them from shaking.

The two sat in silence for a minute before Ben sighed, pushing himself off the ground into a crouch.

“We can’t just leave after seeing that.”

Dustin nodded, waiting for Ben to continue, “And if that means killing the goblins, then so be it.

Ben had gathered some of his wits back, able to realise the gravity of the situation. If the monsters had killed a woman, they could do the same to them.

“I saw three of them in there. Two of them have daggers of a sort, one made of stone and the others is metal. The last one has a spear, so we need to take it out first.”

Ben agreed, hefting the metal bat in his hands.

“Shoot the one with the spear and I’ll take whichever one approaches us first. Once you’ve done shooting, grab your bat.”

Dustin didn’t argue with Ben’s suggestion. He knew his limits with archery and killing two or even all three of the goblins with his bow was possible. However, Ben needed real combat experience, and what better chance would they get. The goblins were the top of the food chain in the dungeon, but against humans, they lacked in every area.

When they made their way back to the open room, the goblins sat in the same spot, still throwing rocks at each other. The one with the spear had copped the most strikes, red patches covering its shoulder and exposed chest.

As it prepared to catch a rock thrown by the other goblins, Dustin’s arrow penetrated its diaphragm instead, puncturing a lung with ease. The goblin fell back with a screech, hitting its head against the cage and causing one of the surviving females to rouse.

Dustin put down his bow and grabbed the metal bat laid on the floor, watching as Ben approached the remaining duo. Wielding a rusty shard of metalone goblin dashed towards him, holding it high over its head.

Ben struggled to attack the creature, his arms locked in place from fear. He kicked the goblin in the chest instead, sending it tumbling backwards. The make-shift dagger fell to the ground as Dustin reached Ben’s side, holding the bat in position as the one-eared goblin attempted to escape through the tunnel.

It tried to weave around Dustin, but a sudden rush of wind met its ears, followed by the metal bat cracking against the back of its neck. It slumped forward, sliding on the rocky floor before stopping before the pile of dead bodies.

Lowering his batDustin walked over to the one Ben had kicked and flipped it onto its front, placing his foot on its chest. Ben wanted to stop him but kept his mouth shut, watching the goblin curse in an unknown language. It lunged at Dustin’s foot with its mouth, the sharp teeth grazing his shoe.

With both hands, Dustin struck the goblin with the end of the bat in the nose, shattering the fragile bone structure and knocking the monster unconscious. Taking his foot off its chest, he took a step back, noting the sudden footsteps approaching him, but choosing to ignore them.

Dustin!” Ben shouted, intercepting the approaching goblin that Dustin had struck earlier. It had picked up the fallen dagger and attacked him.

Filled with rage, Ben swung his bat in an overhead arc, smashing the goblin on the top of its head with enough force to crack its skull. He could feel the bone give-way and stopped himself from falling over as the goblin fell to its knees, tilting forward as a drop of blood fell from its nose. Dustin turned just in time to see it fall, lying prone in a growing pool of blood.

“Thanks.”

Ben held a hand to his chest, feeling the heart beating deep in his chest working overtime. He worried it would explode, shooting past his ribs like a rocket.

“You need to breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth.”

Dustin went through the motions, having Ben to do the same until he calmed down.

A clicking sound came from one cage, as an insect-like creature stirred, its mandibles striking each other. Dustin looked at the wooden prison, noting the dying vines tied around the bars.

Taking up the metal shard, he sliced through the vine and opened the cage. The surviving female was familiar in appearance. If one ignored the size difference, it looked just like a praying mantis. It was taller than Dustin, reaching the seven-foot mark if it stood at full height.

The clicking continued, faster as Dustin entered the cell. The mantis tried to pull away, using the little strength remaining in its stick-like legs to push backwards, but its head was already hitting the back of the cage.

Dustin held two hands out in front of him and knelt down, stopping just inside the cage.

“It’s ok, I’m not here to hurt you.”

The large bulbous eyes looked at him, wavering for a second. Its large curled arms looked ready to spring, twitching every other second.

Looking down its body, Dustin could see the large abdominal segment lying in a pool of sticky green liquidDustin knew that there were no female goblins and that they needed to reproduce somehow.

He did not know where the reproductive organs of a praying mantis were, meaning the goblins would have even less of an idea. The sticky blood pooled on the floor, and a sharp stick covered in the same green liquid gave him an idea of what the goblins might have done to her in frustration.

Although it had stopped crawling away, it was on guard against the unknown fleshy beings in its cell. Dustin heard the clicking sound again and paid close attention. The Dos system was useful for facilitating contact between pioneering races and even disabled, the features that occurred outside of user input still worked.

The clicking sounds began to warp. It sounded at first like a cassette tape playing in reverse, and after ten seconds, it became a quiet female voice inside Dustin’s head. Looking down at the mantisDustin nodded in understanding, watching as it perked up.

“What’s going on?” Ben asked, taking a step back at the head echoing around in his head.

“It’s talking to us,” Dustin whispered. The mantis fell silent as it lost the strength to hold its arms up, the curled scythe-like arms falling limp against the cell floor.

Dustin knew it was in a terrible state. The internal damage was something he couldn’t fix with first aid, and any healing through magical means was off the table until the shop became available.

The mantis seemed to realise this, and mixed with the mental anguish of being a goblin playtoy, she asked something of the two humans. Although she had never seen their race beforeher voice was quiet but unwavering in her request.

Ben turned to Dustin as he heard her voice, his eyes widening.

“Did it…”

Dustin ran a hand down his face, meeting the desperate gaze in the alien eyes.

“She wants us to kill her,” Dustin whispered. He stood up, brushing past Ben to exit the cage and retrieve the spear. Picking it off the uneven floor, Dustin first walked over to the remaining goblin he had knocked unconscious and stabbed it through the neck. The tip penetrated its throat, only stopping when it glanced off the spinal cord and hit the stone behind it.

He felt no remorse as he pulled the spear back, the goblin’s head rising with it. When the tip came free, the head fell back with a thud, and a quiet gurgling marked the goblins last breath as it died.

Dustin gave the goblin one last look before he walked back over to the cage, using the bottom of his shirt to clean the spear of goblin blood. Ben rubbed the back of his neck and stood to the side, allowing Dustin to enter.

As he approached the dying mantis, crouching down to its head height, it noticed the spear in his hands and its mandibles chittered.

Thank you.

8