Chapter 05 (part 2/2) – The adventurer’s guild and the Guild Master
111 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the party wanted to give their report on a request they needed to go to the request completion and failure (RCF) counter. They also brought Laura with them because she tried to intervene in the request, although that was just the excuse Finn found (he also wanted to help her so he wasn’t ready to leave her yet, and there might be another reason but he didn’t reveal it).

They arrived in front of an RCF counter and the receptionist asked them the request ID, which Tris gave, and whether they succeeded, which they said they did. She then asked them to wait for a bit and came back with a request notice that has a green dot on it. She took the identification proof of the party leader, aka the only one who talked, to check if the party name matched, and asked:

“So the request was to ‘confirm the sentience of the dungeon near’ blah, blah, blah, ‘and assess its threat level’, right? Though the report will have to be given to the guild master, please come with me.”

“That’s the one, yes.” Tris said while smiling dryly at that half-professional receptionist that skipped the location description and didn’t wait for their answer before going out of the reception toward the stairs.

The group followed her, and they arrived in front of a door with “Guild Master” written in cursive on it. There was also runic written on the door, which the party knew was for security purposes: It prevented the door from being open by someone else than an official guild master or higher if no one of such rank was inside. (Meaning, a guild master could technically imprison someone with a rank below guild master, but then they would have access to anything the guild master had access to, unless extra security was used.)

The receptionist knocked on the door and when the guild master said, “Enter!” she opened the door and moved aside to let the group in. Then she came in herself and gave the guild master the request notice, went back to the door, bowed to them and closed it. After which the guild master looked at them expectantly, having read the notice while the receptionist was leaving.

“We have confirmed the dungeon was sentient. As for the threat level...” Tris started.
“When we first walked in, the threat was some unseen before green monsters. The thing is, they kept shouting as if to warn us. At first, we thought nothing of it – after all this is a unique monster, but...”
“At one point, I thought the fights were too easy, so I tried making it harder for me by making a mistake, and the creature still died. Which means these creatures were indeed making it artificially easy for us.”
“After which before we had the ‘chance’ to encounter one more of those groups, that idiot over there entered the door!” Daler almost interrupted shouting at that point, while pointing at Finn. “And he even asked us to survive without him! He was ready to die!” She was to the verge of crying at the end.
“... Ahem. And then the difficulty suddenly spiked. There was a gas that got released from the walls and stone slabs started falling from the sky – erm, sorry, ceiling. We started fleeing with all of our strength. That was pretty terrifying.” Tris continued, to defuse the uneasiness going on and smiling wryly when he said that last sentence.

“Yeah, I guess I can believe you. I’d run too in those conditions.” The guild master said half-smiling half-worrying. “Is that all? That indeed proves that the dungeon is the ‘killer dungeon’ and is completely sentient... Anything else? How did you survive?”

“Well, while we were running away the monsters were still and on the sides, so they didn’t hinder us while fleeing, and at one point we arrived in a safe room we couldn’t escape from.” Jiro intervened for the first time.
“And then I’d say about half an hour later the dungeon released us, and led us to the unconscious body of Finn.”
“He woke up, but we still haven’t determined if that was real Finn or not, there was a lot of suspicious behaviors coming from him. We were gonna check him up a bit later, after the report.” Said Daler.

“... I... see...” The guild master’s complexion was pretty bad at this point. “Anything else?”

“Yes, some of my memories were locked during our return from the dungeon.” Said Finn smiling dryly, speaking for the first time. “And before you ask, it was the ones that involved the necessity of escaping the gods, or that’s what the dungeon told me, and also they came back now.”

“... Seriously? What did I do to merit this...?” the guild master muttered while holding his head with both of her hands.

814 words Part 2 (2076 words cumulative, so more than 1000 words per part)! And I guess you could say also a cliffhanger? Though the next few (up until chapter 8 in fact) contains clearer cliffs.

Random poll: Which one do you prefer?
  • Left aligned Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Justified (the whole line is used) Votes: 1 33.3%
Total voters: 3 · This poll was closed on Sep 8, 2020 09:22 PM.
4