Chapter 26 – Going home…?
36 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The five, not understanding what was going on, immediately knelt by reflex. They could hear the imperative tone of the god, who seemed a bit anxious.

“Where did you go?” he asked.

“We do not know.” they answered.

“How did you get there?”

“We do not know.”

“Tell me about where you went.”

“It looks like this planet, but everything was really weak.”

“... Is that all?”

“... Yes.”

“I see... ...Who did you see?”

“Natives. People and animals. Called monsters there.”

“No God?”

“No God.”

“Hey, come on, you can see they don’t know a thing. No use trying to push them so hard. Rather, come, we need to help the others. They sent me here.” A new voice just descended with an other god.

“...Fine.”

And with that, the two gods went away to do their things, leaving a still kneeling group, that only stood up after a solid five minutes.

“Well... That was strange. I guess we really weren’t here... Speaking of, where are we exactly?”

AN
So apparently some people want them to have a breather, so here I go for a slice of life :p (This has absolutely not given me an excuse to delay the reveal that I have no idea where this arc is going x) )

[collapse]

“I don’t know. Guess we’ll find out soon... This direction then?” One of them pointed at a random direction.

“Sounds good.”
They all followed.


After walking for a long time, confirming them they are not in the same forest they started with, they finally arrived at a city, with wide open gates and a welcoming ambiance.
Though, this city looked like the cities they are used to, so they didn’t think too much of the absence of guards, only happy to get back to civilization as they know it.

As soon as they entered, they were startled by the festivities happening inside, and all the joyous faces all around them. They navigated through the crowd to get to the adventurer’s guild, where they ‘submitted’ their request, as well as asked for what happened (meaning, they explained briefly that they were out very far without any means of communications).

“Oh, you mean the festivities? Nothing really, they are just all the time like this. Like not celebrating is forbidden. Well, don’t worry, when night falls they’ll make less noise. By the way, welcome to Qoutoyd!”

“Thanks... Odd name though.”

“Yeah, well the founders were odd. Well, you might as well enjoy a bit your stay here before resuming your journey! You’re quite far away, after all. When you’ll want to leave, just come back here. Unless you want to go now?”

They looked at each other, then unanimously decided to enjoy their stay for a bit, like 2-3 days. (They decided that after a week they’d immediately leave, regardless of whether they want it or not.)

And, as soon as they reserved a cheap but comfortable inn (that the inhabitants were kind enough to point to), they joined the festivities that happen for no reason.

In it, they found some stuff they already knew – stuff like playing with cards, some ‘magic’ tricks – and stuff they never even thought of – like real magic spectacles, with some odd powers for some.

After some scouting, they decided to first split up, and enjoy the festivities separately, then when night would start to fall they would regroup in front of the inn they reserved.


Jiro started going back to where all the spectacles happened, and watched the marvels they could make.
She saw dramatic plays, she listened to vocalists, she admired sparring sessions...
She avoided magic displays though, so they could watch those together.

She was so engrossed in those that when she realized a long time has passed, she was surprised that night was only starting to fall.


Laura, instead, decided to look out for the farmers she saw a bit sooner.

She enjoyed speaking with them a bit, about gossips (though they didn’t have a lot), farming tips (gotta help her family!) that they then used with some examples (and the help of a magician who seemed to be able to accelerate growth). She walked away from them with new ideas and techniques in mind, feeling thankful to the group, but without any idea where to go next.

And luckily (or not?), night started to fall at that moment.


Daler, like Jiro, went to see some spectacles and such, but separated from her to see some more energetic and energizing plays (comedic, mainly). After that, she got to talk to someone who performed, and while she did enjoy it for a while (and she found someone who could keep up with her energy!), she realized near the end of the conversation that night was about to fall.

She waved her hand at the comedian while going back to regroup with the rest. 1I blame this story for this bit :p


Finn went to the ones playing music, and enjoyed the sounds they made, that were all, more or less oddly, pleasing.

After that, he tried to get more information of where they were, but after failing, he didn’t insist and instead decided to try to learn the basics of music.

Time flew by quickly, and when he managed to get his first notes off the instrument he was holding, night started to fall.


Tris, being the paranoid being he is, decided to go to the guild first, to try and ask some more information on their whereabouts. But, after seeing the receptionist quite reluctant to hand it to his, and given that she told him it involved gods and whatnot, he decided to leave it for now.

After which, he scouted in a bit more depth all the activities, before going back to the inn as night started to fall.


2So... As you can guess, I didn’t go to a lot of festivals x)

“Wow, time really flew by. It should’ve been early in the morning that we came.” Finn said.

““Yeah...”” Jiro and Daler both agreed.
““Huh, really?”” Tris and Laura were surprised by his statement. “Um, I mean, yeah, right.” Tris caught himself quickly, which only led the four to be suspicious of him.

“What do you mean?” Finn asked.

“No, nothing... Let’s enjoy ourselves first. We’ll know more when we leave anyway, right?” Tris looked away as he tried to make up excuses on the spot.

“...Fine...” Finn eyed him suspiciously.

1086 words!

Huh, seems like next chapter will also be some slice of life... Side note, even now I know how this chapter is going to end, and it has lore implications >:)
Though, I really wouldn't mind some inspiration on what should happen when they finally arrive in Jiro' homeland... :/

(Future author of chapter 28: I think I found what I'll do... Still ideas are welcome.)

1