3. Volunteers
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They arrived at the Central Mainstay. Zondreah pulled open the doors allowing Rexi to step inside. Annalise and a few of the elders came up with the idea of having a huge structure constructed that would be capable of housing all of Mistbury’s inhabitants. While it wasn’t a comfortable fit, it was doable. Their population wasn’t that large to begin with. 

The building had been over four stories tall, with pillars and supporting beams of wood holding up the structural integrity. Many of the carpenters and constructors worked together to ensure it would be able to handle the harsh weather conditions during the winter and summers. While it had taken many months to accomplish, they were successful in making it. Although the building did not have rooms, it did have plenty of open floor space. The biggest space being the ground floor. The center had an open ceiling, allowing the upper floors a chance to look down from the opening on their floors above. A railing was designed to keep those from falling below. On those open floors many people opted for stand-in huts, makeshift tents, and furniture easy enough to break down and move if need be. They were industrious, small, and accommodating. 

The ground floor had been there gathering location, where they would share lunch, discuss future activities, or assign work to be finished before the week ended. As such, many of the early risers had begun rallying. A welcome desk of sorts had been made near the entrance to guide those who needed help. Or if they somehow got a traveler. 

The second floor had all of the crafting, carpenters, blacksmiths, and tradesmen setting up shops and miscellaneous needs. While the town did not have a use for currency, they did have a use for food, clothes, and other essential goods. Any currency the village actually procured and had was saved by the elders, and only used in extreme situations—like with Rexi’s prosthetic. Which was why when currency was brought in from the outside, it was looked at with very keen interest. 

The top sections of the building, the third and fourth floors were all living quarters. 

Last Rexi heard, they were close to 250 people. Give or take a few dozen not counted in the official rounds. Most of the time they lived in harmony, making do with what they had at their disposal. Although some individuals chose not to live within these close quarters. 

Rexi’s uncle was one of them, having volunteered to run the northern part of the farms and crops. Another farmer took over the southern parts of the farms, but they preferred to live in solitude. Aggy, an older senior who had seen to the construction of the iron gates before Rexi had been born, ran an infirmary outside of the central mainstay. Her home was easy to find as she grew tons of herbal plants within the large garden in front of her property. Several of the guardsmen lived near the perimeter of the gate, they were the eyes of the village and alerted them with either the bells or their screams if something were coming. Zondreah’s father, as the Head Guardsmen of the village, chose to live on the outskirts.

There were many reasons why some chose not to live in the Central Mainstay, but they were also a huge part as to why the border held against the mist. 

Inside the girls found themselves in the midst of activity. Annalise was a woman in her early forties with her hair slowly graying at the roots tied back in a loose ponytail, and dressed simply. She was ushering people to the ground floor where many were sitting. Different rugs, mats, and clothes were laid upon the ground to offer seating. 

“Rexi!” The girl stopped in her tracks to look for the source. It didn’t take long before she saw the arm waving in the air. “Over here! Zondreah, you too! The morning commencement is about to begin!”

Zondreah shrugged her shoulders, before they walked over. Rexi smiled as she looked to the two occupants waiting for them. 

The one waving enthusiastically at them had strawberry blonde locks of hair tied back in two split braids, brown eyes, and freckles. Her gathering clothes were simple in taste and designed for comfort. This was Alita Frior. 

Sitting next to her was her brother Belfyr Frior. He too had shaggy strawberry locks of hair, that tumbled just a bit behind his ears and neck, brown eyes, and a similar assortment of freckles. His clothing style was similar in taste to his sister’s. 

They sat in a semi circle, gauging the dark circles under each of each other’s eyes. 

Rexi stretched her legs out in front of her. “So Alita, Belfyr how was your morning?” 

“Boring.” The boy replied dully.

“Tiring.” Alita perked, despite the sullen atmosphere, they were still trying to be cheerful. 

“Zondreah’s got a big scoop from this morning, want in?” Rexi jumped right into the heart of it. She knew she got both of the siblings attention. They turned to Zondreah expectantly. 

“A monster?” Belfyr questioned.

“A traveler?” Alita followed up excitedly. 

“No—it has to be something beyond the gate.”

“Who says it can’t be a traveler?” 

The siblings argued between each other before Zondreah calmed them down. She raised her finger to her lips to indicate them to stay quiet. “Shh—I happened to overhear my dad—but they need the elders approval for something. I’m not sure what it’s about though.” 

They gave Zondreah their undivided attention. Getting the approval of all the elders definitely was a big deal. 

Rexi smiled mischievously. “And I think we’ll find out more if we press a particular elder for answers.” She gave a slight nod over in the direction of Annalise. 

Zondreah nodded. “Our best chance of finding out would be through her—or just sneaking into her desk when she’s busy.” 

Alita tapped her clenched fist into her open palm. “Oh, like now would be a good time to snoop!”

Rexi smiled deviously. “Exactly!” 

Belfyr imitated Rexi’s expression. “I like your style Zondreah.”

“But wouldn’t that not be a nice thing to do?” Alita countered now. Her good conscience was winning against her curiosity. 

“Oh come on Alita—can’t you just—” Her brother started to argue with her. 

Zondreah sighed. “Shhh—you guys are going to draw us more attention than we want.” 

The four of them looked around, making sure no one else happened to overhear. They leaned their heads closer to one another so they could whisper to each other. 

“Look it’s either now or never.” Zondreah said.

“But guys—this sounds like a bad idea.” Alita argued. 

“Quit being a baby Alita.” Belfyr snapped. “Mom and them never tell us anything anyway.” 

“Look guy’s calm down—fighting with ourselves is not doing us any favors.” Rexi sighed. “Zondreah, when she looks most distracted go to her desk. Belfyr and I will try to keep her from heading back. Alita, be the lookout.” 

The four of them agreed, Alita being the nervous one, sighed. “Well fine, I prefer to see everything unfold from the back.” 

They would have executed the plan that moment but a hand clamped down upon Rexi’s shoulder. She would have jumped had the pressure of this hand not pushed her to stay still. 

“What are you four troublemakers getting into now?” An older voice, with a slight crack in her voice snapped the four from their whispers. Turning their heads, they found themselves staring into the wise cloudy eyes of one of the old crones that lived longer than most people in this village. It was none other than Aggy. She had white, long thinning hair, tied back behind her. Her back was hunched from old age, as she shook her head at their antics. 

“Aggy!” All four exclaimed. When did she come up to them? And so stealthily at that. With how slow she walked with her cane, it was a shock to them that she was able to sneak up on them so easily.

The pressure on Rexi’s shoulder was relieved, but a sharp pain shortly followed. A hardwood stick slapped the top of her head. Grasping it, Rexi curled up on the rug. 

“Let that be a lesson for mischievous children plotting deviously. Now sit quietly during the morning gathering and be patient.” Aggy gave her piece before slowly walking over to her place at the front. Many of the elders were gathering at the precipice as people awoke. 

Alita comforted Rexi lying in pain, but Zondreah eyed a familiar figure striding up to take his place. “My old man is also attending—most of the guards in fact.” She gazed around to see plenty of people moving in what little space remained. The ground floor was abuzz with activity, and even on the railings of the upper floors above, there were people gathering to look below. 

Belfyr nodded. “Rexi, your uncle is here too.” 

Rexi lifted her head to see her uncle Oak shaking hands with a few people before taking his spot up at the front. It was normal for the elders not to attend the commencement in the mornings—but today all four of them were in attendance. 

Belfyr whistled. “I think we’re going to find out one way or another what Zondreah delivered.” 

“Morning all.” The booming voice of Annalise gathered everyone’s attention. “Bless the morning sun, and our iron walls that protect us for another day.” This led into a morning prayer, most of the people bowed their heads to pray. Rexi did not, she looked straight at her Uncle who met her gaze from up at the front. 

When morning formalities were over, the central mainstay quieted.

“You all are probably wondered why all four of us are in attendance this morning,” Annalise replied, she looked to the three others sitting next to her. “And we decided it would be best to make this a community decision rather through our vote. Today we are forced to lay a heavy burden on a select few. But know that it is through these selected individuals that our community may survive another day because of it.” 

A man with jet black hair, and sharp brown eyes interrupted from the front. This was Zondreah’s father, Gray Grecig. “The mist is seeping into the southern parts of the village where the iron is failing. The crops are withered, and half of our food stock is ruined. We need a group of people to go beyond the gates to kill the thing causing this mist.”

This caused an eruption of chaos in the mainstay. Shouts from below and above chorused in a mesh of confusion, fear, and anxiety. The four of them looked silently in shock at the four staring at the masses. Rexi read the conflicting expression on her uncle’s face as she realized what was next. 

“No...”

Gray continued. “We know that some of you are upset, and as a show of good faith I suggest that the ones who go are the ones who are strong enough to do so. I recommend our own children to be picked from the first.” 

 Rexi had never known the feeling of all eyes on her until that very moment. She always felt someone had always been keeping an eye on her, but it was never to this scale. The three others sitting next to her also froze under the pressure of their communities stare. 

This was when Rexi’s uncle stood up. He clenched his hands together at his side as he spoke calmly. “We are, however looking for volunteers. If these four do not wish to go, I will not be the ones pushing them to go. After all, they are only children—just barely turned of age. I ask those who might be willing to talk with Annalise. If no one volunteers by the end of tomorrow night, we will pull from a lottery.” 

Aggy sat silently, her wrinkly hands held onto her cane as she watched the crowd. 

Annalise looked conflicted next to Uncle Oak, as she furrowed her brows in frustration and worry. 

Gray spoke without emotion. “Zondreah—what will you do? Are you going to hide away like a child, or will you stand up to face this challenge?” 

Rexi snapped her attention to Zondreah then, her friend looked pale as the attention was brought solely to her thanks to her douche of a dad. Everyone knew that her father always had a stick up his ass, but they never imagined him to throw his own flesh and blood into danger. 

The whispers began, as they mentioned names of countless others who chose to leave the gates. How only one of them came back—how Rayne survived within an inch of his life—but was it really living? 

He basically signed her a death warrant.

Zondreah stood up, her hands clenched at her sides as she let her black hair cover her eyes from view. She looked ready to answer until the swift pounding of a cane upon the ground stopped her. 

Everyone stopped their leering to look to Aggy angrily looking out. “I will not stand by and let you bully those four because of a little goading. Let them decide before the end of this afternoon, and if they decline we will look for volunteers until tomorrow night. If that is all, I will head back home.” 

Rexi stood up, standing next to Zondreah. She offered her support as Zondreah glared at her father. He seemed emotionless in this exchange as he conceded. 

Annalise and Uncle Oak gave a sigh of relief as people began to whisper to each other. The events from last year started to bubble up in topics all over. And the stares. The eyes of everyone lingered on the four of them as Aggy rose from her spot. The thought of a potential lottery being made to pick individuals sent everyone into a frenzy of activity as well. Because who in their right mind would volunteer for a suicide mission? 

Alita and Belfyr rose from their spot, not enjoying the feel of being a scape goat for their home. 

“Guys, let’s head outside.” Belfyr quietly pulled his sister to the exit. Rexi and Zondreah followed suit.

0