13. The Ming Dynasty Envoy
1.3k 2 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The chatter of the crowd came to an abrupt halt. 

"Look...there! In the sky!" Someone else shouted. 

Soon everyone's line of sight was focused on the sky, or rather a tiny spot in the sky that was growing bigger. Mu Chen, whose trance had been broken, looked into the sky as well.

"A flying ship?" Mu Chen took in a deep breath. 

Even the lowest level cultivators could fly using their flying sword. However, this wasn't the most comfortable way to travel. Not only would you have to consume your profound energy for flying itself, but you would also need to use it to minimize the wind resistance. Flying on the sword was certainly not the most comfortable means of travel. Moreover, if you accidentally fell off the sword you might end up with broken bones or worse death. 

So cultivators relied on flight treasures. These treasures were often shaped like a ship and could house several people comfortably, protecting them from wind and rain. They could operate on spirit stones and could also fly automatically. The disadvantage was, besides being costly and difficult to manufacture, the rate at which they consumed spirit stones was monstrous. Only the rich could afford it.

The Mu Family also had a flying ship, but it was small and could only house a dozen people. It was more apt to call it a boat. However, the one that Mu Chen was currently seeing was huge. As it came closer, it's size became apparent. It was over a hundred feet long and almost half as wide. The height was comparable to a two-story house.

The ship soon came to where everyone was and stopped in the sky. The shadow of the ship eclipsed the area the cultivators were standing as the ship lowered. The people quickly moved aside to make space for the ship which slowly landed on the ground.

Thud!

The door of the cabin opened and a few young people came out on the bow. They were all dressed in the same style. Their robes were made of silk and an emblem resembling a dragon was engraved on the left side of their chest. The dragon was the totem of the Ming Dynasty and only those from the Dynasty were qualified to display it on their body. If anyone else was seen using it on their garb without approval, that person would be apprehended, even executed.

The youngster leading the group swept his eyes across the crowd. His eyes were filled with disdain as he smirked. Because he was on the ship which was several feet high, he truly gave the impression of looking down on everyone. Many of the young talents gathered instantly felt their fighting spirit ignited.

"Sir Envoy is coming!" The youngster announced. While others behind him had divided themselves into two rows, forming a path between them.

The heads of the families and sects of the Falling Stones City had already stepped forward together to greet the guest. Although they were powerful figures within the city, they could only lower their pride and greet the Envoy. After all, the strength of the Ming Dynasty wasn't for show.

The door of the cabin opened once again and an old man slowly walked towards the bow of the ship. The young men and women bowed their heads in respect as the old person walked past them. Even their leader stood by the side, with his head bowed. There was none of the haughtiness that he had displayed before.

"We welcome Sir Envoy!!" The various leaders of Falling Stones City said in unison with a slight bow. Following their cue, the other cultivators behind them also sang their greetings.

"We welcome Sir Envoy!!"

"We welcome Sir Envoy!!"

The sound of the crowd was loud. Some of them had even infused their spiritual qi while shouting. The sound was deafening enough that Mu Chen felt his eardrums almost burst.

The old man who looked in his sixties, stood at the bow with his hands clasped behind his back. He looked at the welcoming crowd and smiled in satisfaction. He raised his hand and the crowd slowly quietened down.

"Everyone! I am Chen Ning, The Ming Dynasty's Envoy. I am very pleased with your enthusiasm. As you all are aware, I am one of the few that have been given the task to select the candidates who will enter the secret realm..." Chen Ning paused for a bit. Seeing everyone was listening to his words with focus, he caressed his beard in satisfaction. "After a month, a contest will be held here and a hundred talents will be selected. They will travel with me back to the Capital..."

Everyone looked blankly at each other. They had gathered here in great fanfare, because they thought the Envoy was in a hurry and he would select the candidates immediately. But now the Envoy said that there was still a month until the selection began. This caused several hundred people to be at a loss.

"Sir Chen...do we have to wait here for a month?" Finally, Du Zhelan, the Sect Master of Purple Clouds Manor, asked the question that was in everyone's mind.

Hearing Du Zhelan's query, Chen Ning frowned. He once again glanced at the crowd that was gathered. Most of them were youngsters under twenty. They had all gathered here for the selection they thought would happen today, not exactly for welcoming him. As this realization hit him, Chen Ning felt his face burn in embarrassment.

"Cough..cough! These were the guidelines set by the Imperial Family. This one month of time is to allow qualified participants enough travel time to attend the selection. The secret realm cannot be entered within the next three months, so there is no point in hurrying either way." Chen Ning said in a flat tone.

"Since Sir Chen is planning to stay here for a while, why not stay at our Mu Family?!" Mu Xuefeng, the Patriarch of the Mu Family, took the opportunity to invite Chen Ning.

"Crafty fox!" Du Zhelan, Liu Xiulan, Fang Wuying, and other Heads glared at Mu Xuefeng and cursed him inwardly. 

"Fang Clan invites Sir Chen to come and stay with us…"

"Our Liu Family also welcomes you. Sir Chen you should come stay with us. Our Liu Clan is known for its hospitality..."

"Hospitality? It's just a bunch of old women fawning over men…"

"Fang Wuying! Do you want to di—"

"Cough! Purple Clouds Manor also welcomes Sir Chen…"

The Heads of other families and sects also sent out their invitations. Everyone was trying to flatter the Envoy. Seeing them fight like kids, Mu Chen found it amusing. 

Seeing the leaders of the city compete amongst themselves for his acknowledgment, Chen Ning's vanity was stroked and his mood improved. He flew off his ship and landed gently among the group of the leaders that had started to fight like little kids.

But it was this move that looked casual that shocked many people, including Mu Chen.

"Heaven Opening realm?" Mu Chen spoke to himself with some disbelief.

Any cultivator could fly using his flying sword. However, this wasn't true flight ability. In a way, it was just lifting yourself in the air with the support of the flying sword that could move through the air.

Only after stepping into the Heaven Opening realm could a cultivator gain true flight ability. The Envoy didn't rely on any flying sword or other treasure to fly, which meant he was at least a Heaven Opening realm expert.

Even the Mu Family only had one ancestor that was in a Heaven Opening realm. But just an Envoy sent by the Ming Dynasty was already a Heaven Opening realm expert. And he must have been just one of the dozens that had been sent out for this task.

No wonder all the Heads were struggling hard to invite the Envoy. The strength of the Ming Dynasty was indeed horrible. Mu Chen thought.

"Everyone! Please calm down. As the Ming Dynasty Envoy, I cannot favor one over another. However, since everyone is so enthusiastic. I also find it hard to reject..." Chen Ning said as he stroked his beard, which was so long it almost reached his belly. "How about this? I have been tasked to supervise this province during my stay here. So I will need to visit several areas...Since the Mu Family Head was the first to invite, I will be staying with them. But I will visit others as I complete my inspection. This should be okay?"

Mu Xuefeng was elated to hear that the Envoy was staying with their Family and he smirked at the other Heads. The other Heads could only clench their fists and restrain their frustration. Thankfully, the Envoy would be visiting them as well, so they would still have an opportunity to improve their 'relationship'. Although it wasn't as great as the one Mu Family would have. Who asked their Head to be quickest when it came to flattering?

"Sir Envoy can visit us, it's already our honor!" Other Heads could only agree with Chen Ning's request. They did not dare to have excessive demands.

"Haha...Sir Envoy can stay at our Mu Family is a blessing. I am sure Sir Chen will enjoy his stay at our residence. Everyone, since Sir Chen has just arrived from a long journey, we shouldn't disturb his rest! Sir Envoy, if you will..." Mu Xuefeng gave a signal and the Mu Family members that were standing immediately spread out forming a path to their luxurious carriage.

Chen Ning smiled and nodded as he started walking towards the carriage with Mu Xuefeng. 

"What about Sir Chen's entourage?" Mu Xuefeng asked.

"Them? They are here to help me manage the contest-they can just stay with the ship…" Chen Ning said with a slight pause. In fact, he had forgotten about them for a moment as he enjoyed having his ego stroked. But he had already started walking towards the carriage with Mu Xuefeng and he felt it would be embarrassing to turn back now.

"If I may suggest...Since they are young, I can have the younger generation of our Family entertain them, so they won't be bored." Mu Xuefeng suggested after a moment of thinking.

"That would do. But they still need to guard the ship…" Chen Ning was still slightly hesitant.

"Haha...Sir Chen is really cautious. I can leave some Mu Family guards to ensure the ship's safety. Young people shouldn't be restrained so much-it will hamper their growth. They should mix with others from their generation. Besides, with the Ming Dynasty's insignia on the ship, only people who have a death wish will attempt to steal it." Mu Xuefeng cajoled.

"Indeed...Very well!" Chen Ning felt Mu Xuefeng's proposal was good and nodded.

Mu Xufeng's eyes brightened seeing Chen Ning agree. "Changshou! Come here!!" Mu Xuefeng called out.

"Here, Father!" A tall and extremely handsome young man immediately came forward.

"Sir Chen, let me introduce him! This is my son, Mu Changshou. He will be taking care of your attendants...Changshou, why haven't you greeted Sir Chen?" Mu Xuefeng said with some mock anger.

"Mu Changshou welcomes Sir Chen!" Mu Changshou said as he bowed in a humble manner. 

"Spirit Condensation realm, bone age less than twenty years...good, good!" Chen Ning said with his eyebrows raised in surprise, as he swept his divine sense. 

"I thank Sir Chen for his praise." Mu Changshou said in the same humble manner. 

Mu Xuefeng's chest swelled in pride as if he was the one who had been praised.

"Changshou, you heard Sir Chen! Quickly go and entertain Sir Chen's entourage. Don't lose your dignity as the host." Mu Xuefeng instructed Mu Changshou.

"Yes, Father!" Mu Changshou bowed towards his father and Chen Ning before leaving. 

Other Heads saw Mu Xuefeng send his son to entertain the youngsters on the ship and were also inspired. They immediately started instructing their juniors to go and welcome the people on the ship.

Mu Chen watched from afar as Chen Ning entered the Mu Family carriage with the Patriarch. Following suit, other Heads also started to leave one by one. Very soon, only the younger generation was left behind.

As soon as the carriage left, the cultivators started discussing among themselves. Some of them were at a loss since they did not expect a month of delay. For the cultivators of the Falling Stones City, this was not a problem. However, there were some that had traveled from nearby cities who felt that their time had been wasted and were complaining loudly. Of course, they only dared to voice their frustration amongst themselves. One by one, many started to leave the area. However, there were also many who moved towards where the young people of the Ming Dynasty were, hoping to make an acquaintance. For rogue cultivators looking for a backer, this was a good opportunity to see if they could be recruited. 

Mu Chen was not interested in such things. Even if he was interested, he would likely be excluded from the group. He was no longer the past him.

Mu Chen looked around, but he could not see Liu Fengying due to the crowd. Moreover, she would be busy socializing with the people from the Ming Dynasty. He didn't want to distract her. Zhou Mei didn't come at all. It was good that the selection was a month later, so she would not miss it.

Since there was nothing left for him to do, Mu Chen decided to head back.

26