Ch 3:A Princess’s Idea of Fun
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Princess Marilyn Thunderfist was shaking with anticipation. Prince Jraken’s performance in the courtyard was exactly why she and her friend, Ryllah Bolt, had snuck into the Jhori Academy in the first place. Only the best and brightest of the Jhori Elementi were invited to this school. Marilyn was dying to see how strong the Jhori Elementi were. When her people, the Imperians, were forced to flee their home world, very few of the other Elementi came along. Since her father, Overlord Darex Thunderfist, was having a secret meeting, she decided she would sneak off the ship and have a secret meeting of her own.

  “Well, that was nothing short of amazing,” said Ryllah, who was still in a daze from witnessing Prince Jraken deflect Kaizo’s large fiery attack into the sky. Marilyn and she both wore tight purple and blue shirts that were cut above their toned abs. Their blue pants belled at the bottom. Which was a style that got them some strange looks from several of the students.

  "I have to fight him,” Marilyn said popping her knuckles.

  “Have mercy on my wicked soul!” Yelled an older student with blue spiky hair. “Have we just not had any classes together? I’d remember someone as beautiful as you!” He was tall and thin, and walked with a cocky strut as he approached Marilyn.

  “She dyed her hair,” Ryllah said thinking fast, “We both did. Not enough blondes in this school! You know?” Then she grabbed Marilyn and started walking away.

  “Name’s Tyke Wave,” he said, pursuing the ladies down the hallway, “And you are?”

  Marilyn had lost sight of Jraken thanks to Tyke and was getting frustrated with her newest admirer. “Listen, Tyke, I’m sure getting to know you would be absolutely exhilarating, but unfortunately we have prior engagements.” She said hoping he would take the hint.

  “Aren’t you a last-year? We should be done for the day!” Then he held up his hand and created a flower made of ice, “Let me buy you lunch,” he said as he offered the ice rose to Marilyn.

  “Aw! That’s kind of sweet,” said Ryllah.

  Marilyn, however, was not quite as impressed, “What in the abyss am I supposed to do with that?” She asked with her arms folded and one eyebrow raised.

  Tyke chucked the flower behind him where it shattered upon hitting the ground. Then he put his arm around her, “Can I at least get that name?”

  Marilyn put two fingers to his side and sent several volts of electricity into him. He seized up and passed out immediately. Ryllah quickly opened a door to a room that had no one in it and Marilyn threw him in. 

  “Poor sap,” Ryllah said while closing the door.

   A couple students had witnessed what had happened. Marilyn just smiled and waved, hoping for the best. The students laughed, shook their heads, and went about their business.

   “I think I’m starting to regret having not gone to school. This place is fun.” Marilyn told her friend.

   “Yeah. Well, this venture is starting to lean over the ever so slim line that separates fun from danger.”

   “We’ve lost the little prince.” Said Marilyn, ignoring Ryllah. Her mind was fixated on fighting with Jraken. She could not get her father or his generals to spar with her. Ryllah was the closest to her skill, but still did not present any real challenge for her. She was desperate to put her abilities to the test.

   “Mayhaps we could ask a local?” pondered Ryllah, “Preferably a younger and less male one?”

   “Mayhaps that one?” Marilyn pointed at a younger girl who had a dark complexion and dark brown eyes. Her rosy pink hair curled out into an afro.

    “Excuse me!” Ryllah yelled out to get her attention.

    The girl turned around and quickly gave a look of surprise.

    “She knows we’re not from here,” Ryllah said under her breath to Marilyn as the girl made her way over.

    “I was hoping you might know what class Prince Jraken Ferno is in?” Marilyn asked the girl.

    “He’s in my class,” she said coolly. She squinted her eyes and crossed her arms. “Are you two going to try and recruit him for a tournament team? Because if so, I got to tell you, I’ve got dibs.”

    Ryllah and Marilyn thought for sure she was about to call them out for not being students.

    “No, no, I just wanted to thank him for saving us!” Said Marilyn. “Would it be alright if we walked with you to your class?”

    The girl’s face grew red, “Uh, sure.”

    Marilyn and Ryllah gave each other sly smiles.

    “What’s your name?” Inquired Ryllah.

    “Hardu,” then she coughed and said, “Jessa Hardu.”

    “Jessa! What a pretty name for a pretty girl! I’m not too familiar with all the Elementi names. I’m guessing your Onyxian. Is Hardu an elite family?” Asked Marilyn.

   “Not exactly,” Jessa answered. “My father is actually a musician. My mother was from an elite family though. The Diamond family. They say she was being looked at by one of the Jhori Agencies when she attended this academy, but then she had me.”  

   Ryllah could sense the hidden guilt in what Jessa had said. It was in her nature to make people feel better. Which was why Marilyn enjoyed keeping her around. “I’m sure your mother wouldn’t take it back for a second! My mother certainly never thought I’d befriend a princess!”

   Marilyn gave Ryllah a pinch and a look for mentioning the word princess. Luckily, Jessa just assumed Ryllah was talking about one of the many princesses that actually attended the Jhori Academy. She did not at all find befriending a princess to be to outside the realm of possibilities.

   “This is it,” she said as they approached a door that read Jhori Philosophy.

   Marilyn stopped as soon as she saw the door and made a sour face.

   “Aren’t you coming in?” Jessa asked.

   “You know what? On second thought, I’ll just wait and thank him after this class,” she responded.

   Jessa shrugged and continued on to class.

   Marilyn and Ryllah found a nearby room that was empty. They decided to stay there to wait for Jraken.

           

   “Your dad is going to be livid. He might take your ship this time,” said Ryllah breaking a short silence.

   “How long are these ridiculous classes?” Asked Marilyn, “He’d never find out if we could just get on with it!”

   “And what’s your plan exactly? Challenge him out in the courtyard in front of everyone like that Pyran kid?” She asked in return.

   “Guess I’d better not,” Marylin replied, “I’m hoping to get him alone somehow.”

   “Aren’t you bit old for him?” She asked jokingly.

   “Shut it. You know what I mean,” laughed Marilyn.

   “That Prince Dravon is more your age though. Not too hard on the eyes either.” Ryllah admitted.

   “You’ve always liked the strong silent type. You’d prefer they didn’t talk at all.” She jested.

   “All that need be said, can be said, with a well-shaped ass.” Ryllah responded in a matter-of-fact tone.

    A loud horn came over the intercom and the girls could hear students shuffling out of the classrooms.

    “Showtime!” Exclaimed Marilyn.

   “You are way too excited for this,” Ryllah said shaking her head.

 

   As luck would have it, the girls were able to follow Jraken off campus. He walked into the nearby forest, and he did so alone.

   “How do things always work out for you?” Asked Ryllah quietly as they followed Jraken deeper into the woods.

   “Not sure. You won’t see me complaining though,” Marilyn said looking back at her with a big grin. Before she turned back around, she ran into something and was knocked down. “Hey!” She yelled out.

   Looking up from the ground she quickly realized what it was that had blocked her path, and her adrenaline started to spike.

   “Prince Dravon!” Ryllah blurted out, “We were just-”

   “You two don’t go to this school,” Drovan said flatly in his deep gruff voice. He eyed them both up and down. “So, I’m going to need to know why you are following my little brother.”

   “I wanted to challenge him! Looks like you’ll have to do for now though.” Marilyn said hopping back and forth.

   Dravon stood unamused with his arms crossed.

   Marilyn knew he had no idea who she was, but still found it offensive that he did not bother to get into a fighting stance when he was challenged. She jumped into the air and after a well-timed spin, she threw a hard kick at the fire prince’s head.

   Dravon was able to block but was still knocked into a tree a couple paces back from the force of Marilyn’s kick. He recognized instantly that he was dealing with an exceptional fighter. He focused all his attention on to her. He did not want to make any big mistakes if things started to heat up.

   Marilyn wasted little time and dashed towards him sending several fast attacks. He parried every attack well, until an elbow finally found his mid-section. In the small amount of time that Dravon’s body was reacting to the pain, she was able to get in several more hits.

   He got away and jumped high up onto a thick branch to catch his breath.

   “Did I just scare off the big bad fire prince?” Marilyn taunted. “Now, leave me alone! I want to see if your brother will actually be a challenge!”

 

   “Yikes! How could something so beautiful say something so ugly?” Asked Chren. He was on a higher branch than Dravon, just out of sight and earshot from Marilyn and Ryllah.

   “Did you follow me all the way out here?” Dravon asked, “Don’t you have any life of your own? Or do you just have to come and commentate on mine?”

   “I’ll always be here for you buddy!” Chren replied.

   “Then are you going to help me fight them?” He asked.

   “Since when did Prince Dravon Ferno ever ask for help?” He asked with a chuckle. “By the way, they are totes leaving,” he pointed his index finger out at their fading silhouettes.   

   Dravon let out a long and frustrated growl. His feet and hands burst into flames as he started jumping from branch to branch.

 

   “He’s coming in hot!” Yelled Ryllah up to Marilyn. Both were in a dead sprint to catch up with Jraken. They were soon stopped when Dravon suddenly dropped down in front of them.

   “You’re a quick one! Is that a Pyran thing?” Marilyn asked hopping back and forth once again. 

   “May I, princess?” Asked Ryllah.

   “But of course!” She replied.

   “Princess? Who are you people?” Dravon asked as he got into a stance.

   Ryllah charged at Dravon, but he was able to send a wave of flame at her faster than she could evade. It sent her eight paces back. She quickly ascertained that it was better to have badly burnt arms than a badly burnt face, so she covered her face with her arms.

   Marilyn rushed over to her fallen comrade, “Damn it, Ryllah! I thought you could handle this guy!”

   “He’s pretty pissed now,” Ryllah said through her teeth. “That was a lot of fire,” she continued as she winced from the pain of her badly burnt arms, “Really, really hot fire.”

   “That should even us out then, because now I’m pretty pissed!” Marilyn replied as small bits of electricity could be seen dancing all around her body.

   “An Imperian?” Dravon did not know of any Imperians that could fight like Marilyn could. At least, none that were in the Jhori Quadrant. “There’s only two Imperians that made it into the Jhori Academy, and you’re definitely not them. Are you descendants of the banished ones?”

   “We are of the Free Elementi of the Farak Quadrant! Unshackled by Jhori rule. My ancestors were the ones brave enough to stand up to an evil empire.” Marilyn explained as she gathered a wobbly ball of electricity in her hands.

   Dravon had fought against Imperians before. This was nothing like that. He could tell this warrior was much more gifted than the ones he had sparred with. He had no idea what to expect from what he now could safely assume was a banished Imperian royal. He encased himself in a hollow sphere of flame hoping that would protect him from whatever attack Marilyn was about to unleash.

   She threw the electricity she had gathered at him. It turned hot pink and leapt quickly through the air. A loud boom shook the area as lightning met fire.

   He could feel his flame shield growing unstable. He could also sense that this certain mixture of energy was about to unleash a great explosion. He sent all the flame that he was holding around him up into the electricity that was trying to push through. Still the feeling of unstableness grew. Twice in one day Dravon now felt as if death might be right around the corner.

   His every muscle shook from exhaustion. With all his might he tried to push the lightning away using his flames. However, the force behind the electricity was too great. He could make neither flame nor lightning budge. He gritted his teeth as his arms slowly started to give under the great force.

   Suddenly he felt the immense weight and unstableness of energy disappear. He fell to his knees gasping for air. His whole body ached and spasmed. He looked up only to see that Jraken had once again swooped in and swept his oncoming death away like it was nothing.

   “What’s going on here?” Jraken asked innocently, “That was some pretty intense energy! Do students always spar this hard at this academy?”

   The mixture of lightning and fire exploded high in the sky. It was much larger and louder than the one he had deflected from Kaizo earlier that day.

   Marilyn and Ryllah were stunned all over again. Jraken made these incredible attacks look like child’s play.

   What is the depth of his power? Marilyn wondered. She looked over at her badly burnt companion. She knew Ryllah wanted to leave, but she had come so far for this. Now the rumored prodigy was standing right in front of her.

   “Prince Jraken! I am Princess Marilyn Thunderfist. Just like you, I have no one to truly test me. Let us battle so that one of us, or perhaps both, can know what it feels like to be challenged!”

   Jraken did not know what to make of the overly excited woman. So, he simply said, “Okay.”

   Overcome with anticipation, Marilyn made the first move. She started low and tried to sweep his legs out from under him. He hopped over her attack and into a back flip. Landing with a smile on his face.

   “Nice one,” he said getting into a fighting stance.

   Marilyn was about to make another charge at him when she noticed a flame heading her direction out of the corner of her eye. She was forced to jump back in order to avoid it.

   “Our fight isn’t over!” Dravon yelled angrily. He was still breathing heavy and drenched with sweat.

   “Come on, now! It’s not like I’ve got a lot of time here!” Marilyn yelled. She was beyond frustrated that her heavily anticipated fight with Jraken had now been tainted. “By all rights you should be properly defeated! Mayhaps even dead.”

   Dravon gave her a loud and angry battle cry. As soon as he finished, his arms and legs ignited into large and wild flames.

   “Wow,” said Jraken.

   “I told you I don’t have time for this!” Marilyn yelled as she sent another large bolt of lightning at Dravon. This time he took the hit with his left arm. The flames absorbed the lightning until his fiery arm was filled with bright blue bolts of electricity. Then he extended his arm out and the mixture of flame and lighting shot out deep into the forest, where it made another large explosion. The force of the blast shook the hair and clothing of the two young warriors violently as their eyes stayed locked on to one another.

   He certainly had her attention now, as more electricity could be seen moving all around her. Every now and then a bolt would jump off of her and hit one of the lower branches that were above her. Flames started to grow all around them as the forest took in more heat from the ongoing battle.

   This time it was Dravon who made the first move. With an even louder battle cry he reignited his left arm to match the rest of his appendages and started an aggressive ensemble of physical attacks.

   Marilyn was forced into being on the defensive. She soon realized that blocking was almost pointless. The heat he was creating was excruciating. Her arms could not take much more. She could feel her advantage was slowly slipping away. She knew she was left with only one alternative.

   Ever so slightly, Marilyn let one of Dravon’s punches get through unblocked. Allowing him to hit her left breast.

   Marilyn howled in agony, “My boob!!”

   Dravon’s flames disappeared instantly as he was paralyzed from shame.

 

   “That’ll teach her! Nice shot Dravon!” Chren yelled while laughing hysterically from his high branch up above.

 

   Dravon’s eyes were wide with rare surprise as he waited to see what the consequences of his actions would be, “I didn’t mean t-“

   Before he could finish, Marilyn sent a roundhouse kick that landed right on his temple. Knocking him out cold.

   “Hey! Double standard!” Jraken yelled out.

   “Relax, little prince,” Marilyn responded. “I did what I did because I had the feeling he wasn’t going to let us leave.”

   “Leave? You mean you’re not students here?” Jraken asked scratching his head with confusion.

   The forest fire started to grow exponentially. Trees were beginning to fall where Dravon had sent the explosive attack.

   “Well, we’re going to dip out now,” said Ryllah through a bright smile. She was breathing heavy as she tried to act like the burns on her arms were not bothering her as much as they were. “You should get your brother some place safe.”

   “Guess so. Think we’re going to get in trouble for burning down this forest?” Jraken asked as he hoisted Dravon over his shoulder.

   “Eh, blame it on your brother,” said Marilyn. Then she put a hand on his shoulder. “I hope are stars align again soon, Jraken.”

 

   Marilyn and Ryllah ran back to their ship as fast as they could. They had parked a good distance from the academy for fear of being spotted. Upon leaving the forest they could see several students and faculty running in to put out the flames.

   “How much grief you think ol’ Kembro is going to send our way?” Marilyn whispered as they boarded their ship.

   “Lots of grief!” Kembro yelled from the cockpit. Kembro was Marilyn’s personal pilot. He was a very large canine humanoid. His body was covered in shiny black silky fur except for the white that ran down his neck and onto his chest. He had a long fluffy black tail. His ears were floppy unless he was listening intently to something, in which case they perked up. He wore a dark green vest with a red bandana around his neck.

   “But I’m very glad you made it back safe!” he said wagging his tail.

   “Best head back to father’s command vessel, Kembro,” Marilyn said as she got some healing ointments out for Ryllah.

   “I’ll get us back as fast as I can,” Kembro replied loyally, “I can see the flames in that forest from here. If Overlord Darex finds out that you girls started another Elementi civil war he’s going to be livid!”

   “I doubt that, Kembro,” Marilyn said sadly, “War is upon us.”

 

 

 

 

 

1