An Unwilling Partnership
783 0 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I walk into Alley's office the first thing in the morning unannounced carrying a pair of massive suitcases. Alley's face is the picture of neutrality but I see her hands reflexively clench into fists. I drop both suitcases on the floor with a thump and slump into my usual chair with a sigh of relief. 

Alley's attitude towards me was eventually going to be a problem. The Voice may have simply dismissed Alley as someone it had effectively cowed into submission, but that dismissive attitude was born from a certain lack of perspective. The Voice was not human, and therefore could not judge Alley by human standards. As the man on the ground, the signs were incredibly clear to my mind. It was only a matter of time before Alley lashed out, either by withdrawing her cooperation or outright betraying me. 

That was one of the reasons for my visit this morning. I needed Alley to become an active partner in this enterprise. I needed her to get her hands dirty so that she could not back out later. 

"Are the preparations for the concert complete?" I ask without preamble. 

Alley glares and begins to complain, but I cut her off.

"Yes or no?" I snap. Have to establish dominance so Alley cannot question me. Get her to believe that I am the one in charge here. 

Alley is taken aback by my attitude and nods. I take out an envelope of photos from my jacket and spread them on Alley's table. I start gesturing at the photos while talking to her.

"You have invited Rose von Amsterg as a VIP guest to the concert, yes?" I tap one of the photos on the table, "Our sources show that a large number of armed men have arrived at the von Amsterg manor. Our mutual friend believes that they have been hired by Nicholas von Amsterg to drag his sister back home." 

That was merely speculation on my part, but the timing of the arrival of those goons combined with what The Voice had been saying about Fate planning some kind of attack made the whole affair seem really likely in my opinion. 

Alley begins to look through the photos I had presented to her. "How in the world did you get these?" she asks, completely dumbfounded.

"Aerial surveillance and security cam footage from the manor itself." I shrug in reply. Alley visibly blanches when she hears that. The implication is clear, "our mutual friend" has more resources and contacts than she had first assumed.

Alley was not being subjected to a two bit blackmail scheme, but had been pulled into a conspiracy way out of her depth. That was the impression I wanted to give at least. Now to drive the point home. 

I heft one of the suitcases up from the floor and drop it on Alley's table. The suitcase is unzipped and opened to display its contents. Several standard issue ORPO stun batons. Alley's jaw completely drops, overwhelmed by the sight. This was probably not how she expected her day to begin. 

I explain, "Our mutual friend has agreed to contribute to the security of the concert. We have managed to negotiate the release of surplus ORPO equipment to the Academy. You will find the letter of confirmation and a user's manual in the suitcase along with the batons. Equip all members of campus security and teachers that are on duty tonight at the concert."

All bull of course. The batons and documentation had been spawned by The Voice back at the apartment for the second reason why I had stopped by to chat with Alley. I wanted to arm the Academy's faculty against any attack mounted by Fate. Alley on her part just stares at the batons, completely speechless. 

I remove the suitcase of batons and place the second suitcase on the table. I open it to reveal several sets of protective ear wear meant to block noise. A little something I had asked The Voice to spawn as a precaution against Trietel's antics. I may be immune to the power of music, but experience had shown that Trietel could get an entire crowd eating out of his hands with the right song. 

"Pass these to the teachers and campus security as well." I instruct Alley, "I don't want them distracted by the show and dropping the ball. Any questions so far?"

Alley finally manages to rouse herself from her shock and exclaims, "Yes! What is all this? What in the world is going on?"

"Just a precaution against the worst from happening." I say reassuringly, "If nothing happens, then great. But if something does, at least you guys won't be caught completely flat footed."

Alley quickly lowers her voice to avoid anyone hearing our conversation and hisses at me, "What have you been doing behind my back, Greer? What have you gotten all of us into?"

I narrow my eyes and reprimand Alley, "You already got yourselves involved when you allowed that SOPO inspector to hang around here. Its too late to back out now." More nonsense of course, but Alley has no way of proving otherwise. 

"How did you know..." Alley blurts out before holding her head in her hands, "Never mind, I should have realized that sooner or later that decision would come back to haunt us."

I continue giving my instructions, "Tonight I will be patrolling the campus. If I notice anything or get any updates from our mutual friend, I will message you on your mobile. Always keep it with you, understand?"

"You can't expect me to show up tonight! Especially after knowing all this!" Alley says in a strained voice. I just glare at her remorselessly. The Voice's previous threats against her work their magic and Alley backs down, agreeing wordlessly to my directions.

As I get up to leave, Alley asks, "Who are you really?"

I don't bother to reply.  

...

"There is a saying from your world," The Voice rasps, "Never split the party. Are you sure what you are doing is wise?"

I was lurking in the darkness outside the main building, watching the guests arrive for the concert. Some of the guests were really swank, dressed to the nines, riding in luxury cars. The Academy's reputation as the school for the rich and well-connected looked to be well deserved. I doubt that any of the students here would ever want for money. 

"Didn't you read the guest list? You tell me." I whisper in reply. 

"I fail to see the issue. Mr Gallant's sister may be in attendance as a VIP, but is that truly a good enough reason stay out here and not at the concert itself? You could just hide among the crowd." The Voice questions. 

"Sure it is. Especially when I have a literal piece of his soul lodged in me. Speaking of which, have you made any headway regarding this particular problem?" I shoot back. 

 The Voice rumbles, "Unfortunately no. Souls were never my area of expertise and your condition is already unusual in itself."

Even more reason not to go into the hall then. Gallant's soul might start agitating so strongly for a reunion that I lose control over the body. The sister might spot me and blow the entire Greer identity out of the water. Or it might be some other form of entrapment planned by Fate. After almost getting assassinated, I was not inclined to take any chances. 

I change the topic while checking my baton and stun gun, "Is the Hero and Brocon at the concert as well?"

The Voice responds, "Yes. Heroine von Amsterg was invited as a VIP as you know. The Hero is helping out backstage on the request of a classmate. Nothing unusual going on inside the hall so far."

The last of the guests arrive and the ushers retreat back into the building. I lean against a wall and breathe out a cloud of fog. Its really getting cold quickly. Does it snow in The City?

My idle thoughts are interrupted by The Voice, "Five SUVs are departing from the von Amsterg manor. Nicholas is making his move."

 

27