The Director
641 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Immortality? Are you for real? Have you been reading too many conspiracy theory websites Commander?

"That's a crock of bull." I reply to Hernandez, "If the Host could provide immortality, they would not have gotten nuked at the end of the Millennium War."

Matsui grunts in agreement, "Precisely. You are looking for complexity where there is none Commander. People die when they are killed. That's a fundamental law of nature. No amount of magic can change that."

Hernandez scowls at Matsui's sarcasm and shoots back at us, "Look, the P5 and the Legion are taking this business about the URI seriously. They want the City of God put in the ground. Isn't that proof of at least some part of the rumors being true?"

Matsui drums his fingers on the table and responds, "No, its proof that the P5 is having second thoughts about leaving The City to be managed by The Council and that the Legion can't say anything about it since they have set the precedent with their historical territorial claim business."

"Yeah." I agree, "I'm with the Godfather. I don't see any connection with immortals or ascension here."

Hernandez makes an annoyed motion with his hand and says, "Oh hush. Its a job and the two of you are going to do it, alright? Any objections?"

I shrug and begin flipping through the brochure once more. I didn't give a shit about Hernandez's delusions, he could believe that Nazi Moon Rabbits were preparing to invade earth for all I cared.  A job's a job, and as long Hernandez kept his end of the bargain, I had no problem with working for him. 

"What was once divided must come together again, United in The City." the blurb on the front page of the brochure reads. Below the blurb is a picture of a bustling future metropolis playing home to humans, angels and demons. Huh, the Host is really banking hard on this unity thing as part of their advertising and propaganda. 

"Does anyone actually buy this?" I ask both Hernandez and Matsui, pointing at the blurb and the accompanying picture. 

Matsui snorts, "I definitely don't. The Host had been plastering that Unity garbage all over Six Trees while we were being evicted once the petition to add the district to the URI passed. There was that Representative which kept talking about it as well."

"That guy? I remember him, called Michael, like that famous singer." Hernandez pipes in, "He was babbling about the URI bringing Unity to the world when Council was in session. Or was it three worlds being United? It was the worst kind of nonsense, the boring kind." 

"Transmigrator," The Voice suddenly rasps, "I want to know more about this subject. Pursue this line of questioning."

Uh, OK boss. Though I don't see why you are so interested in the ramblings of a random politician. 

"Three worlds united. What's was that guy talking about?" I ask Hernandez. 

Hernandez scoffs, "Earth, Heaven and Hell. Three worlds. Michael was claiming that the URI was the first step in bringing the three worlds together as one. Makes no sense to me. Maybe he was referring to rich guys from the three worlds buying property there and staying together? I dunno."

"Trying to play on the sentiments stirred up by memories of the truce, most likely." Matsui says. 

"The City is made up of parts from several cities bolted together." I reply, "Couldn't the URI in the future include parts of Heaven and Hell that have been added in a similar way?"

"Nah." Hernandez dismisses, "You know how difficult it is to cross the spatial rifts separating Earth from those two places? Its the big reason why the P5 is still alive and kicking. No way something the size of a district is going to make it through a rift."

The Voice rumbles in satisfaction at the information received, "I will need to talk to you later about this matter, Transmigrator. Continue with your business in the meantime."

"So this job," I inquire, "I'm assuming you need me to disrupt or smash something with a connection with the URI?"

"Not just anything." Hernandez says with his attention is back on the subject at hand, "You're going to help Godfather here wreck Phase one of the Heaven on Earth housing project."

"Are you crazy?" Matsui hisses angrily, "Phase one is already completed. There's a staffed SOPO station there as well. Do you want all of us to be arrested?"

Hernandez answers, "Its because Phase one is completed that I am sending you guys there. As far as The Council is concerned, the URI has to go ahead. Too much money rides on it. The only way to sink the project is to put on a big show on just why anybody who sunk money into the URI is going to lose their shirts."

"You're getting us to wreck the properties already bought by private investors." I point out. 

"Bingo." Hernandez congratulates with a thumbs up, "Thrash that place and millions of nu-credits would go down the proverbial drain. Then you guys retreat to Six Trees where you will be safe from prosecution. Once the private investors realize that the Host cannot protect the money that has been sunk in, the investors are all going to pull out, sinking the URI once and for all."

"How is that different from the raids you had me mount?" Matsui says, "The URI is still being pushed along despite the damage my family has done."

Hernandez shakes his head, "Those attacks you did were small scale and hit parts of the URI that were not open to private investors yet. The Host could simply absorb the loss. This time, we're going right for the jugular. No more faffing about and playing safe. People are going to see millions, no billions worth of already sold property go up in smoke on live TV."

"Live TV?" I exclaim.

Hernandez laughs, "You're going to love this. I've got a helicopter prepped at ORPO HQ with one of those HD cameras. I'm going to stream the action live as you guys rampage through Phase one. Its going to be magnificent."

Matsui slams his fist down on the table, "No! You're mad Hernandez. 'Playing it safe' as you call it has already cost me most of my family. They are now rotting in SOPO lockup. How in the world do you expect me to pull this insanity off?"

Hernandez's grin becomes even broader, "By sending everyone left of course. And I mean everyone. We're going all in on this. We pull this off, Godfather, and the URI is dead. The P5 would also be very grateful."

Dumbfounded silence from Matsui and me is all that greets Hernandez's bold pronouncement. You could hear a pin drop. 

Hernandez coughs awkwardly and tries to rally us, "Its going to be difficult, but not impossible. Its like an army on its last legs performing a secret attack, turning the tables on the enemy. Like that American guy fighting the British. His army crossed the river and kicked ass. That's what we're going to do here."

I perform an awkward cough of my own and rebut, "First, it was the Hessians, not the British. Second, that attack took place using fog as cover. You're expecting us to 'rampage' in open sight of everyone while also being live on television."

"Fine, bad example." Hernandez waves my protest off, "But there is one big difference you guys are overlooking."

Matsui snorts, "And that is?"

"SOPO is not actually out to kill you guys." Hernandez explains, "Arrest sure. Brutalize probably. But kill no. That evens the odds quite a bit. They're going to be using riot control gear rather than live ammo or magic swords. That will provide the time you need to wreck the place before SOPO retakes the site." 

I roll my eyes and fold my arms, "Meaning you don't care if we get arrested, only that we smash Phase one up. And what will you be doing while we are rampaging about?"

"Making sure you guys don't get arrested." Hernandez smirks, "Once the riot reaches its climax, I'll send in the cavalry to take control of the situation. SOPO will be forced to let you lot retreat back to Six Trees in the midst of all the chaos. And everyone lives happily ever after."

"Somehow I doubt that." I mutter. 

"Fine. We live happily ever after." Hernandez says, "Screw the Council and the Host. Besides, neither of you have a choice in the matter. If you guys haven't noticed yet, I'm the one calling the shots here."

"If the family survives this," Matsui says tiredly, "its the last favor we do for you. Understood?"

I look Hernandez straight in the eye, "Just make sure you can deliver on the payment."

"Crystal." Hernandez signals the waiter and a file his handed to both Matsui and myself, "The details of the operation are in the files. Read up and get yourselves prepared on the designated day. Got it?"

I get up from my seat and wave goodbye to Matsui and Hernandez. Matsui quickly joins me and the two of us leave the restaurant together. As I wait by the side of the road for The Voice to bring the cab over, an eye catching white stretch limo pulls up in front of Matsui. He does not bother to wait for the driver to open the passenger door for him and just boards the vehicle after giving me a curt nod. 

Insanity. Complete insanity. I knew Hernandez was getting desperate, but this is something else. A last ditch play to turn the situation around before he is dropped like a hot potato. Matsui is also probably feeling the pressure, that's why he ultimately went along with this bonkers plan. 

"What do you think?" I ask The Voice.

"Work hard, Transmigrator." comes the amused response. 

 

21