In Sight and Unseen
521 4 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once again, the SUV comes to a stop at the hospital's parking lot and I disembark. Making my way to the vehicle's rear, I pop the boot open and retrieve the heavy liquefied oxygen canister stored within along with a length of rubber hose. I know I must probably look suspicious as fuck right now, but the hospital isn't a high security area, at least everywhere other than the ward the Hero is in. Carrying an oxygen canister is not sufficient cause for anyone to stop me, I hope. 

More importantly, both The Voice and I are running out of time. We need to retrieve the Hero and do a system reset, fast.

"You're sure this will work?" I whisper as I make my way around the side of the building. 

The Voice rasps, "Yes. The canister is loaded with the same toxin cocktail we used in the sarcophagus. Strong enough to kill Fate's minions, but not the Hero. We pump the block the Hero is housed in full of toxin to clear the opposition out. Then you move in to retrieve him. You brought the gas mask?"

"Yeah. Its under the trench coat." I confirm as I shoulder the canister more comfortably, "Not bothering with collateral damage huh? Overkill for dealing with just five guys."

"Who cares about that now?" The Voice answers irritably, "If you have not noticed it yet, the well-being of an entire civilization is at stake. Keep your mind on the larger issues at stake."

"Those larger issues include your own well-being?" I snark back. I know I shouldn't do it, but the opportunity is just irresistible. 

"Yes." The Voice brazenly fires back, "It also includes your reward. Now get to it. We do not have much time."

I think back to the laptop sitting in the SUV and the message the Hero's status screen displayed last night just before I went to bed. The message that changed everything. 

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE: MARRY IRENE SCOTT

The Voiced continues grumbling in a highly agitated tone, "Inspector Scott will ruin everything for us Transmigrator. Communications intercepted from the von Amsterg manor indicate that she has secured a guarantee from Gustav that only the Hero's children with her will be regarded as legitimate. If this marriage goes ahead, what happens during the duel will no longer matter. The civil war over the von Amsterg territory will not occur and the world will be doomed."

"I already told you the solution to the problem." I reply tiredly as I cut through a busy orthopedic footpath, "I break into the manor and punch Big Tits hard in the stomach. Problem solved, and I don't need to risk a fight with an incarnate."

The Voice rasps unhappily, "Turning the fetus currently in Inspector Scott's womb into bloody pulp is not a long term solution. The Hero is now determined to go through with this marriage, and his potency all but guarantees that Inspector Scott will get pregnant again."

I am about to make a joke about castrating the Hero as well, but then remember that the Hero has yet to impregnate Brocon, the last Heroine. The Voice and I still need the Hero's dick and balls functioning at full capacity. What a bother. 

"You sure the toxin can take out the Incarnate as well?" I ask while scoping out the building's exterior for s suitable vent. 

"Probably." says The Voice, "If you are correct about the servant being weak at direct combat."

Probably? I know did make such an assessment, but now that my safety's on the line, I really feel like backing out of it. This whole mission is very badly rushed anyway. The Voice roused me from my sleep in the morning and we rushed to the hospital straight away. I would feel better about the whole affair if there was a bit more time to prepare. Unfortunately, time was a resource we did not have. The Voice told me that Gustav's staff had contacted the wedding planner already and were very obviously rushing the marriage. 

I narrow my eyes as I notice a young couple walking towards me from behind. The lady labors underneath the burden of her swollen belly while the man pats it affectionately. I spotted them at the orthopedic footpath, but what business would a pregnant woman have at the side of the building?

"You told me that Siobahn's people are lurking nearby?" I ask The Voice urgently. 

"Yes." The Voice confirms, "They are closing in on you as we speak. Eliminate the scouts and proceed with the mission."

I nod and continue leisurely surveying the building as the couple draws closer. I am leery about starting a fight in broad daylight while in a public area, but I can't set up the toxin canister with these two harassing me. Once I take Siobahn's muscle out, I'll be on a very tight time limit before the rest of their compatriots show up. Hustle will be the name of the game. 

I shift the canister down from my shoulder into a two handed grip and activate the artificial core. Turning to face the couple, I see alarm and surprise all over their faces. That's right. You've been made.

The man releases his affectionate hold over his "wife" and reaches into his coat for a knife, if what matter sense's telling me is correct. Before he can finish drawing the weapon, I swing the canister hard into his face. The makeshift weapon makes a meaty thud on impact, as blood and teeth are sent flying. 

As the man collapses on the ground unconscious, his "wife" rips open the bulge on her belly, revealing a large pouch carrying a sawed off pump action shotgun in a sling. In one smooth, practiced motion, the woman scoops up the weapon with one hand and levels the barrel at my face. 

"Not bad." the woman says, "But I've got dragon's breath shells loaded in the gun, so don't bother with physical reinforcement."

I roll my eyes and the woman's brows knit together in annoyance as she prods my forehead with the gun.

"Move." she says, "You're going home." That confirms it. These flatfoots were sent by Siobahn. 

I snort as my right hand snaps out like a striking cobra and wraps around the woman's wrist. Before she can react, a quick twist of my hand shatters the wrist, sending the shotgun tumbling free. A hard pull from my arm sends the woman jerking towards me as I drive my head downwards in a headbutt. I feel the my opponent's nose break as warm blood splatters over my forehead. The woman falls to her knees, holding her face and groaning incoherently. 

Not giving her a chance to recover, I grab the shotgun by the barrel and lift it above my head like a hammer. With a single swing, the gun's butt crashes into the woman's head like a sledgehammer, and I feel her skull fracture underneath the skin. As muscle number two slumps to the ground down for the count, I hear distant cries of alarm. 

"Hurry." The Voice rasps, "Siobahn's men are -" A harsh blast of static cuts whatever The Voice is saying off.

"Hello?" I query as I tap the earpiece, "Can't hear what you said just now." But all I get is the non-stop crackle of static. 

A sudden wave of sickness sweeps over me, causing my stomach to do somersaults. I repress the urge to puke as the sky begins to turn an ominous red. Impossible. I can still see people at the orthopedic footpath gawking at me. Why isn't anyone else freaking out at the sight of the sky going all trippy?

Unless I am the only one that can see it? Is that the reason?

 As I am trying to swallow my bile, red threads begin to extend from the hospital building like an out of control weed. The thread swallows me and the unaware crowd, subsuming the entire hospital grounds. Weakness overwhelms me as my muscles scream out in protest all of a sudden from the strain of carrying the heavy canister. The crackling static from the earpiece ceases, leaving behind only silence. I let the canister fall from my tired left arm. Its so heavy that my arm almost popped out from the socket thanks to the strain. 

That only means one thing. The artificial core is shutting down. I've lost my powers. 

I need to retreat. Now. 

I abandon the canister and the length of hose and walk as quickly as I can back to the SUV. Panic begins to build as a stray thought enters my mind. What if the SUV has been affected by the Incarnate as well? Would I need to drive it by myself? 

Never mind about that now. One foot in front of the other. One foot in front of the other. 

Almost there. I'm close to the parking area. I'm going to make it. But a figure steps out from between the parked cars.

Chance.  

20