Divine Intervention
406 2 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Godfather Matsui angrily slaps the angel lieutenant across the face, the noise of the blow resounding across the empty nightclub. The blonde angel man looks down in silence, the expression on his face contrite. 

"I know Gallant had removed your balls." Matsui growls, "But I didn't know you had your brains removed as well."

The angel drops to his knees in a deep bow, apologizing profusely, "Godfather! I am willing to atone if I have done something wrong, but all I did was for the sake of the family and the young master."

The Godfather snorts unhappily and turns to the window of his office, giving him a bird's eye view of the nightclub's dance floor. Directly beneath the office is an empty stage meant for the DJ and live band with the dance floor itself dominating most of the space. However, a small swimming pool has been installed in the middle of the dance floor. The club's marketing people had claimed that foam parties were the in thing these days and that the swimming pool would help with the 'wet and wild' theme they were aiming for. 

Matsui just went along with marketing's suggestion and had the swimming pool built. As far as he could tell, the pool had become something of a selling point for his club and did bring in customers, no matter how silly the concept sounded in his head. The pool had been used for another purpose the past few days though. The water had turned into a murky red, with thick slurry drifting lazily about on the surface. A powerful vortex of spiritual energy swirls within the water, releasing an almost invigorating sense of energy throughout the vacant premises. Family enforcers surround the pool standing guard and locking down the nightclub, preventing anyone from gaining access from the outside. 

When Ken's friend approached Matsui, telling him that there was a way to save now totally insane son, the Godfather had scarcely been able to believe it. Matsui could not decide what exactly was it that allowed him to be persuaded, desperation or that girl's charisma. Whatever the case, the Godfather went along with what was requested of him, just like he went along with his marketing exec's plans. Hoping for the best and not really thinking much of the idea. 

But Ken got better. He started eating, talking, walking about, just like a normal person. As if he had never fallen ill in the first place. Matsui had gotten his son back. He did not understand the process behind his son's recovery, but the Godfather was now a believer in whatever he had inadvertently signed up for. If Ken staying well requires Matsui to play his part, then the Godfather would be happy to do whatever was required of him. 

Except now this moron kneeling in front of him threatened to ruin everything. 

"Explain." Matsui snaps to the angel. 

"I had a vision that Gallant is heading towards the old lab." the angel explains. 

Visions. Ever since 'that' had been brought back by his men to the nightclub, anyone who was stationed at the premises would experience visions, incredibly vivid and accurate ones describing what was going on elsewhere in The City. To Matsui, the visions were more proof that the mysterious power that had healed his son was the real thing. His men were quickly converted into believers as well, the gift of prescience was something they simply could not dismiss. 

A small corner of the Godfather's mind nevertheless continued a tiny, futile protest. Who was this girl that claimed to be Ken's friend? What is this power he had been exposed to? And most importantly, what exactly had he agreed to become a part of? As the uncomfortable sense of doubt begins to build once more, Matsui decisively squashes it without a second thought. This mysterious power had provided a solution when none previously could be found. There is no point in even questioning it, especially when no other alternatives exist. 

"So did I." Matsui fires back, "The visions had specifically warned us about taking action against Gallant so soon. Neither had I allowed you to send my enforcers to fight him."

"Godfather," the angel continues unrepentant, "the visions prove that the health of the young master depends on defeating Gallant. We know where he will be. I merely did the responsible thing."

"Gallant is wasting his time." the Godfather sneers, "We brought back everything of value in the hidden basement of the laboratory. If not for you, Gallant would have been left floundering in the dark."

The angel frowns, "I don't understand?"

"No, of course you don't." Matsui dismisses, "You claim to be so concerned about Ken. Tell me, do you actually know how my son had been cured of his illness?" 

A puzzled grunt is the only answer the Godfather receives to his rhetorical question. Matsui raises a shot glass that rests on his table to eye level, scrutinizing the dull red liquid within. There is a coppery scent rising from the shot glass, the same smell that permeates the entire pool on the floor below. Taking a deep breath, Matsui chugs down the contents of the shot glass in a single gulp, a look of distaste on his face. Forcing the liquid down his throat, the Godfather's expression finally relaxes and he turns to address the angel once more. 

"The water of life." Matsui says in reverence, "A gift from the goddess. It brought my son back to me. Do you know what else the water can accomplish?" The angel merely lowers his head, waiting for his master to finish the explanation. 

The Godfather smiles, "Drinking it also strengthens the visions. I no longer merely see the present, but glimpses of the future as well. So yes, that is how I knew of the men you had sent to the laboratory."

"Godfather ..." the angel mutters, not sure how to react to this declaration. 

"They fail at their task," Matsui states grimly, "and Gallant will beat this location out of them. That is the consequence of your act of responsibility."

"Forgive me Godfather!" the angel slams his head against the floor of the office. Matsui instead kindly helps the angel back to his feet, a stark contrast to the anger shown before. 

"Be honest with me." Matsui asks in a gentle voice, "This attack on Gallant planned by you, whose sake was it for? My son's or your own satisfaction?"

"Of course it was for the young master!" the angel manages to blubber, not terribly convincingly. 

Matsui pats the angel on the back reassuringly, "I know Gallant cost you your manhood and one of your wings. Its fine if you hold a grudge, but I do expect honesty from my lieutenants."

The angel merely sighs and hangs his head down in shame. Matsui nods sagaciously, expecting this response all along. He leads the angel to the window of the office, directing the lieutenant's gaze to the swirling pool below. 

"Your mistake has cost us valuable time." the Godfather says, "We will need to relocate and the work is not yet complete. Can the family count on your strength?"

The angel stands before Matsui and bows deeply, "Yes, Godfather! My strength is the family's!" 

"Good. Good." Matsui hums and before the angel can react, the Godfather lashes out with the ball of his foot, catching his lieutenant in the chin. The angel is sent crashing through the window and with a shower of glass shards, plummets downwards straight into the red pool. The angel lands with a splash but hardly anyone bothers to pay him any attention. As the lieutenant struggles to surface, he shrieks with agony as the red water begins to strip the flesh from his bones. Smoke begins to rise from exposed patches of the angel's skeleton as he flails his hands desperately, seeking help that will never come. 

Matsui impassively watches the proceedings from his perch and soon, the angel's skeleton dissolves entirely, adding to the morass of slurry on the pool's surface. Pathetic. If that man loved and respected Ken as much as he claimed to have, he would have been among the first volunteers who waded into the pool. Those family members also didn't make such a fuss about the whole thing, performing their sacrifice in dignified silence. The Godfather grunts in satisfaction as he walks down the stairs towards the dance floor. A fitting end, all things considered.

"Prepare to move out." Matsui instructs the guards surrounding the pool, "We need to make ourselves scarce before the blackguard gets here."

"But what about -" one of the guards says, but his protests are cut short by an abrupt bubbling rising from the pool. The fleshy gunk churns as something starts to move within the pool's depths. 

"Ah, so we made it just in time." Matsui observes in vindication. So that angel's talk about providing his strength to the family was not just idle boasting after all. 

The slurry parts to the side and a skeleton with a horned head begins to rise from the pool. Bloody and coated in a thin layer of raw, freshly grown muscle, the skeleton takes a few cautious steps forward, its skull covered in a slimy membrane and blindly turning from side to side. The corded muscles obscenely tighten and contort as one hand is raised and a dagger like finger splits the membrane apart, revealing a pair of bloodshot eyes grown into the skull.

The eyes lock onto Matsui who hurriedly kneels in obeisance before the grotesque creature standing before him. The skeleton rattles as it spreads what is left of a pair of wings located on its back. Covered only by muscle, without any skin or feathers, the wings resemble large blades of bone more than anything else. Taking another step forward, the bloodstained creature extends a hand, placing it squarely on Matsui's head. 

Elation soars in Matsui's heart. His service has been acknowledged and accepted. The Godfather closes his eyes and basks in sheer joy, knowing that he has found his place in the world. 

Knowing that he has earned his place at the feet of the goddess. 

19