Beware
678 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Working at the chicken factory is strange. Seeing all this headless dead bodies hanging uniformly at some sort of hanging machine that ascends, descends and zigzags just below the ceiling is certainly an interesting experience. 

I can't say for everybody that it's an enjoyable one but its certainly fascinating. I remember being told once at the induction that every single day two million chickens gets killed and slaughtered here. Now that's a scary number, considering this is just one factory.

It makes me laugh how humanity isn't sickened by the genocide that's occurring. I suppose one can argue that their only chickens, but aren't all life equal in the eyes of God? Maybe that's the thing. We aren't Gods.. so we must feel superior somehow. The apex predator. Top of the food chain sort of thing so it justifies the killings.

Well I suppose in a way, it is supply and demand. We just crave too much of their flesh to justify condemning a lot of them to death. I suppose it doesn't matter since we breed them by the millions right?

But I'm glad I don't work at the kill line. I've heard whispers that it's a horrible job to be in. Imagine being one of the people responsible for killing a large numbers of chickens for eight hours a day, five days a week. It must take its toll eventually. Well my speculation should be true as I've seen them first hand. The people that works there.

Their eyes looked lifeless like they've witness numerous untold horror that weighs heavily on their shoulders. They amble around with their eyes pointed at the floor, their shoulders slump and heavy.

I guess in a way, I'm lucky. My job here is only printing out labels and sticking them on crates and pushing them down the automated line, for people to stack them on pallets.

Well that's the only thing I'm thankful about really, especially since weird things have been revolving around me. I mean my life had been for all sense and purposes normal. It all changed yesterday when the coffin magically appeared into my life. Like I haven't suffered enough.

My parents died when I was ten years old, and I've been pass around to unwilling relatives who did not want to take care of an emotionally troubled child.

"160-180 kg." I muttered, searching for that exactly number on the screen. I pressed it and the printer beside the screen spat out a yellow label. Yellow meaning that the thighs in front of me came from a chicken that's been feed corn as their main diet. Their considered as cornfed produce.

 Without warning the lights around me seemed to dimmed. The sounds of the machine grinding to a halt slowly reached my ears and I couldn't see anyone else. I looked around, bewildered by the strange phenomenon that's happening before my eyes.

It felt like only a moment ago, my line colleagues were there talking and joking with each other. And the second it took for me to blink, the whole scenery changes. At least the lights isn't off, just dimmed inexplicably.

"Hello!" I called out.

Nothing.

The only thing that greeted me was a hollow echo of my own voice. A clanging sound captured my attention. My head tried to follow where it might have occurred but sometimes with sounds, your senses will befuddle you, it depends how well you hear and how your brain interprets that information.

A shadow flitted at the corner of my eye and I couldn't help but tense up. I paused, my whole body poised and ready to burst into action. Any action, whether to fight for my life or run like the devil is on my tail.

I realised too late when tendrils of shadows began to wrap around me. Starting from my legs, winding and snaking around my body. It wasn't until I wanted to take a step that I found myself unable to move.

I look down and gasped in sheer terror at the languid constricting tendrils wrapped tightly around me. I shrieked and screamed but nothing happened. The shadowy tendrils just began to constrict around me tighter until my legs and arms were held close tight to my body, similar to how a soldier would stand in attention. Back straight and ramrod.

What's happening!

I keep my ears peeled for any sign of movement or presence. The tendrils are starting to pressed my muscles very tight against each other making it difficult for me to breathe. I gasped and inhaled deeply trying to get some oxygen into my lungs. I almost feel light headed and faint.

I tried to cry out but it was already a struggle to stay conscious, so I stood there gasping and inhaling loudly. Then something changed, the light flickered and buzzed with a weird static and then darkness.

All I could see was darkness. Pure blackness, devoid of any colour. Just pure mute black. I swivelled my head left and right, my body shivering and trembling in fear. 

I suddenly feel very claustrophobic like the whole world was pressing against me. I closed my eyes, whispering prayers to every deity in my head.

My heart hammering and ramming against my chest as it began to beat in unnatural rhythm. 

"MMMMIIIINNNNNNEEEEEEE....."

A quite whisper, it's voice penetrated my thoughts. Echoing against my skull. I shivered again, my teeth chattering creating a weird dissonant echo. I could feel a cold breathe against the nape of skin, a cold sensation that felt like dead chapped lips hovered against my skin making the hair on all body stand in attention.

I find myself unable to speak, not even able to open my mouth. I prepared for the worst but then the weird sensation disappeared and I was back again. 

The chugging, whirring noise of the various machine reached my ears, the fluorescent light blinding as my eyes had to adjust to them. I hear the familiar voices of my line colleagues and I look around dazed and absolutely confused.

What’s going on?

“Are you alright? You seem pale? Are you cold?”

A female voice called out. I recognise that voice. Anna. She walked towards me, a worried look on her face. She brushed a stray blond locks back into the confines of the blue hairnet. I haven’t ask how old she is but she seems young like around the age of 25.

“Umm..” I blinked slowly, my brain still trying to make sense of what just happened. I look around looking for any sign. I look at the people’s expression but from their faces it seemed like it was just me who experienced that weird creepy event earlier. Did I imagine the whole thing? Was it because I’m just sleep deprived?

“Daniel..”

“Umm.. yeah.. I’m good..” I replied slowly.

“Are you sure?” From the look on her face I can tell she doesn’t quite believe me.

“Yeah..”

She gave me a troubled look but eventually nodded and turned around. 

“Umm... heyy.. Anna..” I called out before she could start walking away.

“Yes?” She responded looking back at me.

“Did you experience anything weird a few minutes ago?”

She gave me a confuse look.

“Umm.. never mind.” I said with a sighed and turned back to doing my work. 

Am I going crazy?

22