Nun
707 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Devils?" Zato asks seemly unphased by the reveal of this otherworldly race. "You mean those red half goats half-human things with the wings, horns, and tail?" Zato asks while looking at the wings but takes notice of the Akeno girl. One of her wings is the same as the fallen angels that attacked him.

"Devils aren't like the ones you hear about in fiction. We're much more human in appearance and besides the wings, we don't have tails, horns, or the lower body of a goat." Rias goes on. "We also aren't born evil either. While the bible and other forms of media may paint our race in a negative light, devils help people more often than not." Rias explains

"That's interesting and all but can you hurry up and tell me why I'm here," Zato says as the devils hide their wings.

"You see I'm a high ranking devil. To put it in comparison think of it as I'm a princess in the devil hierarchy. Every high ranking devil has a peerage or has the option to make one. A peerage is basically a group of other devils that the leader has selected to follow him or her throughout time since devils live practically forever." Rias explains

"So I'm betting you wanted me to join your peerage, am I right?" Zato asks 

"Yes, you see I know you were attacked by fallen angels yesterday so joining my peerage will give you my protection, you'll live forever since by joining my peerage you'll become a devil-" Rias would have continued but Zato cuts her off

"That sounds pretty untempting. So I'm gonna have to say no," Zato replies quickly and bluntly

This answer surprises Rias and all the other devils in the room. Most humans would jump at the offer of becoming a devil or almost any being from fiction without a second thought. So finding someone who didn't even think twice about turning down the offer, is definitely surprising.

"You didn't even think twice before turning down my proposal," Rias says as she looks at Zato with a slightly surprised look. While on the inside she's completely and utterly shocked.

"Zato, I highly recommend you rethink your decision," Kiba tells the demon of Kuoh 

"Why? Let's say my decision remains the same.  What do you plan to do? Are you gonna force me to become a devil?" Zato asks as he shoots a soul-piercing glare at the blonde. Kiba unknowingly takes a step back, while Zato is human his presence alone gives off a vide that would unsettle anyone caught by a glare that made his eyes seem to glow a shade of red even brighter than Rias' hair.

"No, we won't force you to become a devil. However, not being a devil or a member of a peerage will make it much more difficult for us to protect you from those fallen angels. " Rias explains as Zato only turns around and walks toward the door.

"I don't care about protection if they wanna come after me, let em." Zato says as he leaves the room. "Besides I can't die until I find that bastard," Zato tells himself as he begins to walk back toward the school

A moment of silence goes by before Akeno speaks. "Ara, ara. I wasn't expecting no to be the answer we received." Akeno says to the group

"I thought any human would jump at the idea of becoming a devil, but today proved me wrong," Koneko says as she looks at her king

"President, what do you want to do?" Kiba asks

"Nothing. Zato has made his decision and I respect it. Plus if he forced two fallen angels to retreat I'm willing to bet he can more than take care of himself even against supernatural beings. Though I will have my familiar follow him for some time. I want to know why those fallen angels are in my territory and since they went after Zato once before it's likely they'll try again or at the very least observe him from a distance." Rias explains as she looks out a window. "It's sad though, Zato Cero you truly interest me. There's an aura to him that is darker than anything I've felt before. He also would have been a fine alley to have for what's to come." Rias tells herself as she gazes out the window.

The school day soon comes to an end and Zato walks down the street looking down at his own hand. "So there are other races in this world besides humans winged guys, Fallen angels, right?" Zato asks himself. "I wonder how strong the one I'm looking for is?" Zato asks himself "Joining those devils might have helped me find more information about that fallen angle, but becoming another race sounds like a major pain in the ass." Zato says as he rubs the back of his neck. However, at that moment, he bumps into a girl much shorter than him, so short than him. She has long yellow hair, bright green eyes, and is dressed in the attire of a nun.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't watching where I was going." Zato says as he offers the girl a hand. Looking at her closer Zato notices her attire is that of a nun. "Is she already a nun? She looks no older than me if not younger than me? Well, the church does like em young." Zato thinks to himself as the girl takes his hand and gets back on her feet.

"No, no, it was my fault. I should have moved." The girls say as she meets Zato face to face.

"You shouldn't apologize for something that isn't your fault. Trust me this one's on my dumb ass. The names Zato Cero, you aren't hurt are ya?" Zato asks the nun before him

"N-no I'm fine. Oh, I haven't introduced myself. I'm Asia Argento." Asia says with a bow as Zato could only look at her with a confused look on his face. Why is a nun in Kouh? The only church they have in this town has been abandoned for years.

"So what brings you to Kuoh? I know it not to see the sight because this place ain't got shit to see."  Zato questions

"I'm here on the church's request. I've been transferred to the church in this town to work as a nun." Asia explains

"Lessen you must be in the wrong place. There's only one church in this town and it's in worse condition than my dad after one too many drinks." Zato explains while pointing his thumb over his shoulder.

"That can't be right, the church made sure that I was sent here. If you could be so kind, please show me to the church, I just can't seem to find it." Asia says as Zato sighs as he turns his back to the nun and begins walking.

"Follow me, I show you the way there. Just don't come crying back to me when it turns out you got the wrong place" Zato explains as he begins to walk in the direction of the church. 

"Thank you," Asia says following closely behind Zato

As the two walk toward the church, a boy playing with a ball runs past the two before tripping over a crack in the path and falling on his knee. As skin on his knees scraps against the stone path, there's a decent size scratch on his knee with fresh blood trickling down his leg. Holding his knee the boy no older than six begins to cry.

Zato paid the boy no mind since when he was that kid's age he was being punched in the face by other boys and he didn't shed a single tear. Asia, on the other hand, goes to the boy's aid without a second thought. Zato catches this out the corner of his eye and follows Asia to see what she planned on doing to treat the boy's wound. Zato's eyes widen when Asia's hands begin to admit a green light and the boy's wound starts to close before completely disappearing. Like it had never been there, to begin with.

"So other humans have special power too. I thought I was the only one." Zato says as the green light being emitted from Asia's hands disappears and she smiles at the boy.

"Does it still hurt?" Asia asks with a smile

"No, the pain is all gone! Thanks, nice lady!" The boy cheers as he grabs his ball and continues to play

"Where are his parents?" Zato asks as the boy vanishes from the two's sight.

"I'm sorry about that, I hope you're ok?" Asia says with sorrow in her tone.

"What are you sorry for? Wait are you apologizing for using Sacred Gear?" Zato asks as Asia nods. "Why? I wish I had that power of yours, would have my childhood way easier." Zato whispers that last part to himself as Asia's eyes grow wide as she looks at Zato

"Y-you don't think I'm a freak?" Asia asks completely shocked

"Hell no, so what['s that power of yours called anyway?" Zato asks

"My power is called Twilight Healing. A blessing from God to heal all those who need it." Asia explains

"Ok, that makes sense, but why would I think you're a freak. Last time I checked a freak wouldn't use their powers to help some dumb kid with a scraped knee. I know I wouldn't have." Zato grunts

"It's just everyone back at the church despises my power, since it can heal all manner of beings, even those who are born of sin," Asia says as tears begin to form in her eyes

"Well, you wanna know what those fucks back at your church can do?" Zato asks as Asia looks at him. "They can take their bullshit opinions and shove em right where the sun don't shine." As Zato says this Asia's eyes widen. However, Zatoi couldn't tell if it's due to what he said or how he said it. Whether it's because of the language or the fact he's sticking up for her is unknown. "One who has the kindness to heal a sinner is the best kind of person," Zato explains as he sees Asia about to start full out crying.

"Ok, let's not start with any waterworks. Come on we still have a ways to go before we reach that church you so desperately need to get to." Zato quickly says as he begins walking away as Asia smiles and runs to Zato's side.

After about five minutes of walking the two reach, the church and Zato walks Asia to the door. Upon opening it Zato sees the inside is well furnished and lights are on inside, meaning someone is living there. Despite the fact, a person is living inside the outside of the church looks as if this place was condemned many years ago. "Ok, the da fuck is up with these shitty buildings looking like donkey's backside on the outside but looking like they were built for fucking royalty on the inside!" Zato shouts inside his mind.

"Thank you for walking me here Zato, could I interest you in some tea as thanks?" Asia asks as she opens the door and puts herself halfway inside the church.

"Nah, never been much of a tea, guy," Zato replies as he turns around. "Maybe I'll see you around, so this is a see ya," Zato says with a wave as he begins to walk away. Asia waves back as Zato vanish from her field of vision.

Walking the same path he took while walking Asia to the church he soon comes upon the spot where the two bumped into each other and inside a patch of grass is a small purse. Picking it up Zato sees that Asia's name is shewn into the back. "Dammit, how did she not notice this was missing," Zato says annoyed. "I could walk away right not and leave it here. She'll come looking for it sooner or later." Zato tells himself as he suddenly sees an image before his eyes of when Asia almost started crying due to using that healing power of hers. She had been through a lot so why should she also lose her purse, plus it wouldn't kill him to take an extra five minutes out of his life and return the purse.

"AHHH, dammit, fine I'll return this damn purse! If this was anyone else I would have said though luck and left! Jesus Christ am growing soft!?" Zato shouts at himself as he begins his trek back to the church 

15