Chapter 22: Troublesome Spell Effect
816 1 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The combat class was a pleasant surprise. Pompei told them that since they had yet to get any proper offensive or defensive spells they would be working on battle sense for the first month. He had students pair up and fight each other, the students would take turns making three attacks in a row while the defender would have to either dodge or block the attacks keeping one foot on a previously designated position.

This alone was quite a challenge for most students since overall their condition was rather terrible. Most students were quite slow and got tired after less than a dozen minutes. What made it even harder, however, was that sometimes a student that was attacking or defending would hear the teacher’s voice in their head telling them to keep attacking or move their planted foot to kick the attacker.

Villin easily topped this bit. He was extremely fit for a boy his age and could easily dodge or block incoming attacks. Meanwhile, he had enough brains to do feints at the exact right moments getting a punch in nearly every cycle.

Near the end of the class, Villin was up against two students both at opposite sides of him. This made the situation many times harder and occasionally they would be able to hit him in a non-vital position.

When the class ended everyone was sweating bullets. Some students were forced to take breaks to avoid fainting, something that caused Pompei to frown. But just before the class was dismissed Pompei spoke to everyone.

“My class has always been the best at combat overall. I teach, advise, and reward those who deserve it. Every Wednesday in our class I will be giving the top student of the week a spell blueprint which I believe fits them best. Furthermore, the spell model will have two uses, in other words, you can show it to a single other person of your choice. After a week I expect to have the spell blueprint returned to myself.”

The burly man paused. Right now he wasn’t smiling, he looked dead-serious, something that, coupled with his physique truly scared many of the students.

“Without being exceptional at combat you will always be in someone else’s control. Do well and get strong, no matter what your eventual goal is, more strength will only ever aid you. And on that note, class dismissed.”

Saying this word a wooden book appeared in his hand which he tossed toward Villin. Many of the students tried to have a look at the book to see which spell he had gotten but a black cloth was covering it stopping them in their tracks.

Once he got the spell blueprint Villin thanked Pompei before heading straight for his room. The enchanting class was only in the evening so he had time. He took away the cloth covering the book’s name before having a good look at it.

‘Drowse’

The name was unappealing but the effect was not. It was a spell that would cause the people it hit to feel drowsy, if enough magic power is injected it could even cause them to fall asleep immediately.

The spell consisted of seven nodes. Thinking about it Villin couldn’t help but wonder if the spells the teacher used to attack the students also had this spell mixed into them. Overall the spell seemed quite handy for battles in the school. Nobody would get hurt and so he wouldn’t get punished as severely if ever he did decide to attack someone with this spell.

He put the spell aside for the moment since it didn’t seem all that difficult to learn. First, he went ahead and once more put the Reverto spell into his wand, and then he put his wand aside as he started attempting a wandless cast of said spell.

It took him a while but in the end, he succeeded in the wandless cast. First, he saw a bit of faint light-blue mist appearing about ten centimeters before his forehead. Then this bit of faint mist expanded and after twenty seconds a light-blue misty barrier was surrounding his entire body. This expansion caused a massive amount of magic power to disappear for him as it seeped into the barrier allowing it to expand.

In a way this made sense. When you cast the spell with a wand you had a direct connection with it hence you could simply inject magic power when it was required. In this situation, he only built the barrier he didn’t maintain a connection afterward thus it could only use the magic power already put into the barrier to reverse attacks.

Despite this, the barrier moved alongside him. This was both negative as well as positive, after all, he wouldn’t be able to cast most spells in this situation as they’d just hit himself. After thinking for a moment Villin decided to cast the wandless version of Illuminatus. Once he finished the cast the spell immediately forced him to close his eyes.

The light was substantially brighter as it couldn’t go out of the barrier, hence it moved together with him making him a walking flashlight that was exceptionally bright.

He decided that when he found out where to buy things on Sunday he would try to get his hands on really good sunglasses. Then he could potentially use this method to light up dark places. Not only that but if he walked in the back of his own group of allies he could somewhat blind the enemies and attract their attention while making the fight easier on his allies.

At least this is what he thought of at the moment. The Illuminatus did require a constant supply of magic power so he stopped giving it and waited for the light to dissipate, something that did take quite a while.

Yet the Reverto spell didn’t dissipate as quickly. He felt the amount of energy it had kept decreasing but the decrease was simply too slow! It was even less than with the Illuminatus spell while it held vastly more magic power. Even though he knew the mist would become less potent as time went by and magic power dissipated, it was still a great thing to see.

That being said, at the rate the magic power was dispersing it would take half a day for the magic power to dissipate entire, which would mean he would have to go to the enchanting class with this spell active. Unwilling to do so, Villin walked into the hall and then deeper into the dormitories. On the way, some people looked at him oddly but he ignored it and kept going.

Eventually, he got to the room he wanted, number three-hundred and twenty-one. This was Amelia’s room number as she had mentioned it before. He knocked on it a few times before waiting. Soon the door opened and a wand was pointed right at him, Amelia looked at him with a serious expression before recognizing him and inviting him in.

“Sorry Villin, I sensed dense magic around you so I assumed you were here to attack me.”

She said with a faint smile as she sat onto her bed, inviting him to sit next to her. Villin obliged before speaking himself.

“Yeah, say, Amelia, thank you! Professor Messen told me what you did, if it weren’t for you I might’ve died back then, so thanks!”

He felt a bit awkward as he wasn’t really sure how to thank her but Amelia simply smiled and nodded.

“My pleasure, after all saving a student from possible death does give me a nice little reward too I’ll let you know.” She winked at him with a big smile on her face “Now that that’s over with what’re you here for? Don’t tell me you walked all this way just to thank me now did you?”

Villin felt even more awkward now, after all, he did feel somewhat bad that he didn’t go to thank her before this point.

“Well, about that, I’d appreciate it if you could attack me.”

24