Reality
36 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dark caves saturated with crackings, squeezings and slurpings seem alive and endless, as a small troop moves forward in a soundless march, forcing themselves forward in a one of life charge.

Without slowing down no matter what the unseeable group run inside the infinite maze of dark tunnels, their steps were strong enough to hold onto the ground but at the same time, softly enough to reduce any unnecessary sound, after all, they were surrounded by a countless number of threats always ready to drag them at the first sign of weakness or negligence. 

Some of the silhouettes let out heavy breaths as their path suddenly started to rise like a rocky uneven ramp, thankfully it was not enough to stop my new "allies" pace. My body was badly hurt when they found me almost beyond help and given the situation, I wouldn't have expected to survive, but thanks to their proper treatment and the Will they shared with me, I managed to survive, and now my body was healing the remaining injuries on its own.

Hey, How are you feeling? – By the sound of their breaths I could infer they were healthy, but a small sense of fear haunted me since moving me on a handmade stretcher, should drain their stamina faster and could leave them open to an ambush.

Well, I would be lying if I said “It’s nothing” … – Dirgis's voice replied to me with a sincere tone, letting out quick breaths of air, every six to eight words.

Luckily you are not that heavy – Oidrat's low pitch voice intervenes, while not sounding tired at all – We have been carrying your ass for around five flames, but since you are a light-weight my arms are fine.

That’s good, how is Penum? – Since I’m currently focused on healing myself, my eyes must remain close, and since Penum cannot talk I can only rely on Dirgis or Oidrat to inform me about her state.

Well, she is fine, Penum might lack physical strength but her stamina and speed surpass by far our own, maybe including yours, mister Legionary – Dirgis announced with a proud tone.

Anyway, Fol? – Dirgis changed her tone to a more polite and official one – We accepted your petition, and we are likely going to get in trouble because of it, so, we would appreciate that you don’t forget to report that we found you “dying”.

Sure, but to be honest if we make it back with this information, I find it difficult to believe that you will be punished in any way, even if you belong to The untainted – Even If I know The untainted was in charge of the citadel's security, many of their commands and oaths were unknown to me. They used to have almost total authority over anyone to the point they were even feared by Elders, of course until the Purge of the innocents. From then on, The untainted was mostly known for their brutality, cruelty, and extreme methods.

Well, we would prefer to avoid any possible situation…- The official tone in her voice remains letting me know she needs a proper confirmation.

Very well, I would tell them that you found me “dying” and you provide me with lifesaving treatment, the moment I regain my ability to speak I reveal the current situation in the front line, especially the information about the thread that lumbers against the citadel, but since my body was too weak i fell unconscious, so, you had no choice but to craft a stretcher and take me back with you, in case what I told you wasn’t enough or all – As I finish to recite the summary I just came up with, sights of relief followed by a deep breath reach my ears.

Thank you… - Dirgis softly answers, dropping the official tone.

Anyway, take a nap Fol, we need you completely healthy by the time we reach the crossroads - Oidrat advises me, which sounded like an order.

Don’t worry, I’m almost done – my lips soften as a small smirk twitch on my face ~ This ass needs to learn some manners. 

Remaining in silence as I take deep breaths, my blood flows, reaching every corner of my body, empowering me and spreading my Will increasing the speed of my regeneration. Every breath I take fills my lungs enhancing my body, sharpening my senses until finally, I reach peak condition.

Done – As this word leaves me, my eyes open, hoping to see the beautiful orange light or just the mist on the cave’s ceiling but instead, they are met with four pointy legs piercing falling towards me ~ A Stalker! ~ 

All my muscles prepare to avoid the attacker while my senses collect the information around me, all in between breaths.

The ground rumbles as the earth shatter, spilling green bile to the surface, Oidrat without losing momentum even during an ambush, grounds his left leg while twisting his hip contracting his right leg to his abdomen, before thrusting it forward with enough force to break a wall, pushing the stalker that rushed towards him to a nearby cliff, taking him out of the battle while letting out a battle roar which spreads through the air, stopping the stalkers for a moment.

Dirgis on the other hand had released the stretcher, to unsheathed two daggers on her belt, before crossing her legs and twist with such a speed that a small whirling was the only thing the human eye could have seen. Those cuts were perfectly aimed at the most vulnerable parts of the stalker's frontal legs, cutting them clean, causing them enough pain to make them shriek. That critical moment was also part of her plan and it's not lost to her. As their jaws are about to open, she transmits an elemental blessing on her daggers, throwing them with enough force to make the air sing, reaching them at the precise time to pierce their mouths and brains and causing them to spill all their blood, dying before even touching the ground.

Lastly, Penum jumped on Oidrats shoulder to gain a high ground advantage, before releasing three steel arrows charged with an elemental enhancement. The arrows shot with an astounding finesse, pierce six stalkers that just broke out of the walls around us, obstructing the paths behind them for their kind with their own bodies, not even slowing her motions Penum blindly shoots one more arrow behind her, hitting the mark and ripping the feeler of another stalker making him jump backward, towards my right arm ~ Clever girl~

The displaced air of her attack presses violently against my right side, letting me know the stalker that Penun push backward is within my reach, so without taking me eyes of the falling menace in front of me, I grab the leg of the stalker sent to me by Penum which right now, find itself in the middle of the air, and smash it towards the one which aimed to pierce my face shattering their bodies at contact.

Thanks, to them I’ve completely healed ~ Grateful thoughts similar to this go through my mind as this double kill reminds me of my pathetic battle against just one stalker before I met them ~ It's good to be at full strength again ~ My feet touch the ground even before the vile green liquid splatters on my left.

By the time I turned around, the fight was already over, carcasses, entrails and blood were all that remained of the attackers ~ Reliable indeed… ~   

For a moment there I thought you were too old to fight ~ Oidrat snarls back at me with a grin, while punching down the cracks on the wall that just have been used to ambush us ~ Making sure it can’t happen again, good ~

Let me remind you that I’m a legionary, so show some respect – With a smile on my face and hand movement, I reply to his taunt.

So, Dirgis, what now? - I feel my body heavy and cold as a block of ice so while asking this, I take the opportunity to stretch my body and warm my joints.

Dirgis who was cleaning her daggers answers me without looking, pointing her dagger to the cliff where Oidrat just kicked the stalker – We already reached the crossroad, so we are almost there.

Following her dagger Penum and Oidrat walk towards the edge – Well, looks like we made it on time, look.

As I reach the edge of the cliff an orange light blinds me before allowing me to see an open field with a marching legion.

The battlefield, the legion was marching in was a gigantic ground with some caves at its borders, even the ceiling was higher than usual to a point where the mist that cloaked the ceiling was out of sight. The silver stone and silver sand which covered the field, made the rivers and fountains of magma to stand out, illuminating the whole place more than any normal mineral, naturally canceling any shadow that could be used to prepare an ambush.

It was the perfect battleground for an army to fight in.  

Can you see their number? – Dirgis asks me while squinting her eyes trying to see but failing.

Penum raises her hand showing us four fingers follow up by and L, Oidrat then translates the obvious – She is informing us that they belong to the fourth legion.

This would be a perfect place to fight “IT” – I remark to the others while my nose twitches and a frown mark my forehead. Ideas and plans on how to lure him invade my mind, as my teeth grit before a sour smirk stops my nose from twitching ~ If we can drag him here, we can do it! ~ 

I look straight into Dirgis's eyes as I find the way to lure that thing, but before I can say anything, a cold air freezes my skin softly lifting every single hair on the back of my neck.

The silence assaults the scene around us, any sound or voice suddenly stops as if sound itself went into hiding. My sight starts failing, forcing me to look down as a gray hand-shaped fog rises in front of me, this ghostly hand is followed by many others which make their way into my body, piercing it without hurting me, spreading like roots into the earth.

I can feel them grabbing my innards, squishing and twisting them, turning my stomach upside down while extending and compressing it. My lungs are left empty forcing me to struggle for air, finally, these ice-cold hands grab my heart and throat crushing them against each other so my terrified beating heart strangles my voice.

I know this feeling... This feeling of dread ~ The cold eerie feeling keeps a tight grab into my soul, if I hadn't experienced it before I might be in trouble. It's not immediately, but I manage to stand straight submitting my self-preservation instinct who pushes me to retreat, that's when I see them, my three companions on their knees fighting the same horrors that carve themselves in me.

Tears flow from Dirgis's eyes as her fear overflows and fights her for control in a silent but unrelenting inner battle. Oidrat releases this feeling of dread through silent screams as he tries to draw out his strength, but Penum, poor silent Penum, now it is stuck on the earth fighting to restrain herself, while her hands ignore her will, and move towards one of her arrows ~ NO! ~ normally I wouldn’t be able to feel her emotions but right now it's different, as she shakes in fear trying to control her arm, while my hand stretches as fast as I can, Penum rams the arrow into her neck.

A crimson drop runs through Penum's cloth as the arrow is now piercing her. I was too slow to stop her, but at least my effort managed to aid her. As the arrow pierced my hand its momentum and direction were slow and redirected, allowing her to only stab herself above the manubrium avoiding a fatal injury.

Careful now – I whisper to Penum with a raspy voice that is restricted and not under my complete control. Still panting and sweating Dirgis and Oidrat arrive next to us, to help Penum stop the bleeding and heal her, but as we commence the treatment a harsh wind hits us from behind and draws us slowly to the edge, as we feel the sand going around our feet no matter how hard we step on the earth the pull is overwhelming.

We prepare ourselves to fall down the cliff, but it never comes - What? - Turning around, we realize, we are still standing at the same distance as before. In unison, we shake our heads and focus on Penum's treatment ignoring what everything else ~ One step at a time ~ 

The moment Penum is out of risk Oidrat stands and walks to the edge just to inform us with a broken voice – Look… - while pointing at one of the exits in front of the legion.

My blood becomes muddy as all my muscles cramp and my nerves freeze – “IT” is here… - A ragged shadow stands in front of a cave, observing the legion in front of it ~ always looking, always waiting, always studying its prey ~

The legion looks at it and they prepare to fight it forming a line and enhancing themselves with elements and Wills, but this is not something that would work on him – This is stupid – Realizing the situation I bite my lips piercing them while trying to remain focused.

This is bad... – Dirgis tells me as she finally understands the kind of aberration he is – I don’t think they have a chance…

They are dead… and they don’t realize it – Oidrat exclaims loudly without tact as always, his fist clench packed with frustration and many negative emotions.

We need to help them! – Dirgis roars with courage and a sense of duty, which surprisingly restores her self-control without her knowing, as she takes a step forward and facing me – Fol, Please!

I know what she wants -Let me think! – Taking a deep breath my mind goes dark, as many shining paths arise, all of them spreading in all possible directions pushing towards the most optional plan. Most of them shattered into pieces, some of these stops halfway, and a few get consumed by others, while the smallest number of them divide creating new possibilities – Listen! based on the information and the objective of our mission, the path with the highest chance of victory is only possible if we fight together with the legion, it might be difficult but it’s our best option.

I agree – Oidrat exclaims supporting my idea while his heel hits the ground repeatedly, his eyes are flooding with desperation to jump into battle as the screams have already started. 

– Then it’s decided! – Dirgis answers me walking away followed by Oidrat, with the courage and determination that empowered her, with enough will to set herself free while still fighting her inner fears.

Wait, damn it! – I step behind them grabbing their shoulders before they jump onto the battlefield, Even though their emotions are giving the control over their bodies, these same emotions are starting to make them stupid and rash – The only ones fighting will be the three of us, Penum you need to go to the citadel.

What? WHY! – Dirgis exclaims before turning around with doubt and shock on her eyes – Why?

Isn’t it obvious? In case things get a turn for the worse, the citadel must be informed about this being, and as you said before Penum is by far the fastest of us – I had realized it earlier, but Dirgis was very protective over Penum, sadly right now I couldn’t waste time trying to take their feelings into account since the more we waste time more lives will end.

A scream echoes in the battlefield which strains our souls, as every additional breath we take, another cry joins it - Dirgis, you need to give the order! - I plea to her, waiting for her to make the right choice.

Dirgis looked at Penum with doubt and pain in her heart, knowing that I was right, and now her companions were waiting for her decision. Dirgis's eyes reveal small tears on them, as her heart and mind slowly settles on what it needs to be done - Penum….- she finally muttered. 

Penum is a smart girl, she knows her task at hand would be a dangerous one, and because of the previous incident Dirgis is beginning to doubt and worry about her, of course, the talented archer realizes this.

Penum hand moves towards her mask, writing an “L” symbol on her forehead releasing it from her face, and as the mask falls, light shines on her, revealing a young homns girl not even in his twenty, with curly brown hair and blue eyes ~ She is still shaken, but there is courage and will behind Penum's eyes~ Dirgis look at her closest friend, she knew Penum better than anyone and realize there was nothing else to be said, so she quietly pulled her visor down closing her helmet as she turns around unsheathing her halberd, walking towards the cliff stopping at its very edge, she then looks down probably at the monster who could mean the eradication of everything she and we fight for, before cementing her verdict.

Before you go, just remember, I won’t forgive you if you die... - The words were mere whispers, but they were overflowing with concern and love. Hearing and feeling those emotions, I cursed myself for dragging them into this mess.

What are you waiting for? you have your orders - Dirgis announced with a loud voice as she threw her halberd between “IT” and his prey stopping him before he claims another life - I’m going now, Oidrat with me!

Dirgis jumps to the battlefield followed by Oidrat who walks past Penum nodding at her before joining Dirgis.

I walk next to Penum and without any other idea, I just stretch my hand to her with a worried expression on me, saying  - Good luck... - Penum smiles awkwardly before using sign language to tell me - You too.. - after it, her small handshakes mine before taking a few steps backward and sprint towards the citadel.

While Penums disappear into the shadows I get rid of all the unnecessary thoughts that no longer have a place inside me ~ If I have to pay for dragging them into this, so be it, but right now there is something else I need to do ~ 

A deep breath fills my lungs and blood rushes through my body delivering pure WILL empowering me, memories of my friends and their deaths ignite my one desire - It’s time… - As I turn around the anger the rage inside me twists my face beyond recognition. Without any more reason to wait I throw myself towards the origin of my recent pain and from now my nightmares.

Steam and air hits me while I see the enemy in front of me pushing away Oidrat with a single kick and getting ready to screw him on the ground - NO THIS TIME, YOU FUCK!- 

As I get closer to him, time seems to slow down which can’t be anything but a blessing, following my plan of action I put my hands together channeling Will in them ~ Every single attack he received from above was parried and counter by those bone blades on his back, fighting him with a weapon is the worst course of action since we lack the flexibility to react not counting he is physically stronger than any Homns or Homura so...~

The demon does as expected and thrusts his shoulder-bone-blades upwards aiming at my lungs slowly getting closer~ You are not the only one who learns from his enemies, I have already studied you enough... ~ so as the blades get closer, I push my hands between them before releasing all the Will that was been channel in them, creating a Will Wave against each other pushing themselves in opposite directions parrying his attacks to sides leaving him open, at the cost of small cuts on my shoulders and the back of my hand.

NOW! - I let out one-word hoping Dirgis is nearby and in a good position, thankfully her voice answers me - RIGHT! - at hearing this I know what to do, and before touching the ground my body twists to “IT's” right side, kicking his right shoulder-bone-blade downwards as Dirgis shadow comes into my line of sight revealing her in a good pre-striking guard. 

Dirgis's not wasting any time slices upwards with her halberd the moment my feet touch the bone-blade, with such raw strength and brutality that just the shockwave almost takes my leg.

A crude, raw, cracking sound echoes through the field as his shatter shoulder-bone-blade falls to the ground detached from him. A Cruel grin loaded with the satisfaction of his loss appears on my face, driving me to turn around and scream - ON…. - but it was not meant to be, since at that moment “IT” had ignored his lost limb and was standing in front of me with his right fist about to reach my face with enough force to rip my head off.

Meanwhile, Dirgis who had made a complete turn, after she took his bone-blade with the idea of gaining even more strength and speed, all for the sake of her second swing which was now reaching an optimal pre-striking position. Her halberd was tightly grabbed with both hands above the pommel like a two-handed sword, while the shaft was over her shoulder mimicking a Zornhau guard.

~Am I going to die? ~ this being the only thought my mind can process. At this moment, the aberrations strike makes contact, shattering violently everything on its path even the ground, but instead of blood and pieces of my brain flying over it was just rocks and sand. The strike had missed, just by a mere hair only achieving to scratch my face and take my hearing on the left side. 

Avoiding to give him another chance as I lay on the ground, the Will inside me rush into my legs and arms before pushing myself back a bit more than planned but escaping his reach either way. 

As I gain a bigger view, Oidrat's silhouette is revealed to me, as he has managed to grab “IT” left shoulder-bone-blade with his palms and is now pulling him with all his might.

 - Oidrat! - I let out with a smirk ~ so that's why he missed, that bastard just save my life ~

The monster doesn’t wait or doubt after failing to kill me, and before I even land or Dirgis takes a swing, The monster's shoulder-bone-blade gains strength, thrusting itself against Oidrat piercing him.

My smirk disappears as Oidrats blood touches the ground -OIDRAT! - Dirgis and I scream before we lash out against “IT”, both focus on saving our companion or not letting his death go to waste. 

-No! - The moment my legs finally touch the dusty ground, I push myself forward pressing my hands together with one thought on my mind~ If it’s not broken don’t fix it ~

~You!~ Dirgis who just saw in the corner of her eye the attack on Oidrat, moved for the second strike she had prepared, which would be fatal for any demon. With a strike aimed to split the bastard in two, Dirgis swings, creating a shockwave that reaches the ceiling which was at least ten floors above us, enveloping us in a curtain of silvery dust.

A dreadful silence invades the battlefield only to be broken by the small rain of stones hitting the ground, which slowly spreads the veil showing the result of the interchange.

Damn it! - Dirgis grit her teeth as blood flows between them while her helm and something else falls to the ground.

He used Oidrat as bait! ~ A strong pain spreads on my left side while my fingers dig into the earth, as I lay on the ground missing an arm in a poodle of my own blood.

We moved against him hoping that our last attack had caused enough damage for him to slow down or doubt himself, but he didn't. He pulled his bone-blade out from Oidrat’s chest making him look like a crimson fountain, before using to strike against Dirgis, blocking her attack and any possible damage he could have taken. Without even slowing down he continues as he uses the same motion to turn around and thrust a new bone-blade which grew from his wrist, at me, breaking my channeling, slicing my arm off, and nailing me to the ground. 

Now as I'm ground, bleeding to death, with nothing more than regret and frustration in me, I see him stuck to the ceiling growing a new shoulder-bone-blade to replace the one we broke while he adds one more blade to his other wrist.

 

We are fucked... -

 

 

 

 

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Hello, hope you are doing fine during these stressful times and here it is a new chapter, anyway I would like to read some of for your feedback if you have it, so please share the wisdom =) also, give it a like if you can afford it
Remember English is not my first language so be kind, it'll make my day.

0