Chapter 3: Re-encounter with a frenemy.
14 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

 

 

 

- CHAPTER THREE - 

 

 

 

 

 

The air was somber but oddly electrifying. Usually to randomly see your old friends that you haven’t met for a long time can be quite awkward if you haven’t kept in touch. Especially if you didn’t share good memorable experiences together. Except when both of you share a history of something terrifyingly traumatic together. It’s hard to forget and move on.

 

‘Long time no see, Ayase,’ Taelyn said without looking back. He continued to unsort his belongings bit by bit. 

 

‘I see you're the same as always, especially with that arrogant behavior of yours,’ said Ayase as she sipped her water bottle, staring intently at Taelyn’s back. 

 

The room feels heavy from where she stood at the doorway, but Taelyn feels perfectly comfortable from where he is. He felt the air is definitely clashing; fighting dominance in who can overwhelm one another indirectly with just their presence. He stood his ground like always.

 

‘I guess it shouldn't be too ironic that both of us would end up here, but you? I thought you would aim higher like Armonia or somewhere far from here at least.’

 

‘I would, but I have my own set of tasks I need to finish here first. I honestly thought you’re just going to live under that old man’s house, wither away, and eventually die. Honestly, it would give me a peace of mind if you would just … pass out there.’

 

Taelyn whistled. Now, it's only his clothes to unpack. Two huge closets, each on the separate side of the door. The right side. He looked straight into her eyes. 

 

‘Who am I talking to? Violenta?’

 

‘I’m cured,’ she said as she seethed and gritted her teeth and furrowed her brows. 

 

‘Exactly. Congratulations. I never get to applaud for you at the institute when you’re finally let out. Since you never invited me, or... tried to kill me before you got taken in I guess.’

 

‘Let bygones be bygones. Just think how this new moment in your timeline would be us rehashing our..relationship. I guess we’ll be meeting each other more often now..annoyingly,’ as Ayase muttered that last word, plopped up the desk chair to sit and crossed her leg. 

 

‘I assume you know this is the boy’s dormitory?’

 

‘Oh, dear. Oh NO. Excuse me, good wise sir, did I accidentally stumble upon the boy’s dormitory when I’m supposed to be in the girl’s dormitory like a proper young lady? Oh, shut up.’ as she quickly shifted out a single cigarette. ‘You have a lighter?’ as she rummaged through the desk’s drawer. 

 

‘Hmph. You stole the card from the dormitory care’s office, didn’t you?’

 

‘Duh. How else would I get in?’ as she quickened her search.

 

Taelyn pointed at the window without turning his back. 

 

‘Yeah, nah fam. I’m not about that life anymore. I’m saving my efforts for when the real tasks start.’

 

‘Honestly, I admire how you always tell me your illegal plans, but yet still make it obscured enough for me not to be interested in whatever you’re going to do or doing. I’m glad we have that level of friendship.’

 

‘It’s not a friendship. You’re just happened to be my old acquaintance who I despised yet appreciate at the same time. Consider yourself lucky. I don’t think anyone with that worth of value. No one.’

 

‘Im touched?’ as he walked over to Ayase and gave her his red lighter. He flicked the switch and lighted her cigarette, already in her mouth. She huffed and puffed. 

 

‘You smoke now?’

 

‘No, still haven’t and never will.’ 

 

‘Hmph, other students will beat you to death, sweetie. Also, you’re forbidden to carry a lighter too. By the way, if you don’t smoke, why a lighter?’

 

‘Never know when I may use it,’ as he put back into his black bag of assortments. 

 

‘You still carry that nerdy bag?’

 

‘It’s not nerdy..’ he muttered as he gently put in his school bag. 

 

For a moment, just for even a single moment, everything felt like the old times. The good old times. When everything used to be much simpler, easier, and just ... wilder. But of course, time waits for no one. Good or bad. Sentimental odors temporarily fill the air, until Ayase’s phone sharply cuts the nostalgic atmosphere with the ringtone.

 

‘Oops. I got to get ready for class.’

 

‘What do you mean? Classes don’t start until 8.05 AM.’

 

‘I have a scheduled appointment with the headmaster.’

 

‘Wow. First day at school and you already got yourself into trouble?’ 

 

Ayase slightly smirked, adjusted her circular glasses, patted down her black hair bangs, smoked, and started walking towards the door. ‘That’s not quite right. Like I said, I got my set of tasks I need to do. So long.’ 

 

Taelyn contemplated whether he should explore the perimeter like Ayase. A good detective would scan his perimeter. ‘Yes, that’s right. Or wait, should I bring my tricky baggy? Hmm. No. Wait. Where’s my bottle?’ He frantically searched in his suitcase. Not there. Wait. Where the hell is it? Sweats started dripping down his pale face. Did I leave it in the car? Holy crap. The old man took it? Ayase? The woman in the office? The guard? Oh crap. He started seeing it. He was overflowing with sweats again. Oh. His jacket. He took it off. *POPPED* 1...2. 2, it is. He gulped. No water, but saliva. Good enough. He always endured it. The nervousness subsided. ‘Okay, time for some exploring.’ He dabbed his sweats away and walked out with his backpack. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2