Ch 21. A crow in the foe’s nest
2.8k 22 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Immediately after I was done with the knights, I sent an entire flight towards the suspected location of the duke’s mansion.

I was really enraged by his attempt to make me the scapegoat. Luckily I calmed down before I ordered to bomb the mansion.

The duke is not there but there are many servants, most of which might not even know about my existence. I should avoid excessive bloodshed. The aerial reconnaissance should help me prepare the attack. Meanwhile, I will be going there, by air.

I jumped upwards and landed on a fighter’s fuselage. It would be better if I get there fast, to have more opportunities for attack.


The mansion was discovered soon. It is a large stone building with a large garden area.

At a first glance I realized that if it is guarded, then the guards are really the worst. I have so many chances to infiltrate that I should just better sneak in and do everything silently. The problem is, how?

My fox powers are lacking, to say the least. I could not make myself invisible but I could create an illusion that I am pitch-black. The medieval people are superstitious so I will be able to scare the s* out of them if they get too close.


After the sun finally set, I sneaked towards the outer fence. My ninja-styled jump was not elegant but I landed silently, that is much more important. I created the illusion around me and headed towards the building.

I easily avoided any detection due to my sharp senses and fluffy ears. The guards were either drinking or sleeping. My sneak attack should be a very painful and humiliating slap for the duke.

I decided to pray to the gods of luck. Lucky me, I found a room that appears to be the duke’s treasury.

I was a murderer, an imposter, a scumbag, and now I am about to open another exciting new side of me, a thief.

I have no idea how to pick a lock, so I decided to do it in a classic fashion.

BANG

A solid piece of metal picks a lock faster than anything.

I only did this because I had a nice idea beforehand. I created a vacuum around the barrel by using the foxfires. The actual sound of my gunfire was somewhat suppressed and mostly consists of vibration and recoil. Metal clanging might not be the normal sound of this mansion but SOMEHOW I got away with that.

I assure you, it is not an arbitrary explanation of the fact that the staff did not come to check what the hell exploded here.

Anyway, I got into the treasury and with a bit of foxfire light I saw what is inside.

Right now, my eyes should look like a cartoon character's: =($)_w_($)=

To my greatest regret I couldn’t take everything I see here so I will have to choose. And because of my genius tactics I avoided any detection. I have A LOT of time to choose my shiny beautiful things.

In this wonderland I found gilded swords, an armor made of unknown black metal, a CROWN which I immediately put on my head, a necklace with a huge brilliant, which I immediately put into my bag, another necklace, and a few rings…

I thought that I already looted this place enough after I felt that the bag is about to tear. But then I found a pretty pair of earrings… A few minutes later the bag did tear and all the precious shiny things fell on the floor with a loud noise. Nobody came to check what happened. I left the treasury to search for another bag, a couple of them.

I returned soon, and like a crow continued my assault on everything shiny. Only after I heard another sound of a bag tearing I managed to calm myself down. With this much jewelry I can buy any upgrades I want.

[Wait a minute…]

I opened the ‘Details’ screen and placed a ring near it. The ring was consumed and my balance showed 3 more gold coins…

I picked myself the best and prettiest jewelry and of course my crown. Everything else, including that armor, was sold. My balance was looking like a national tax collection report. Soon, the shopping will begin.

Ding

The heist was successful, you received 2 death warrants, 40 platinum coins, 999 gold coins, 1 level point, 1 group of D1A dive bombers, 1 skill point

I did not even exit the building yet… and I am not guilty of anything, I was not even close to this mansion! I know nothing about it!

With an almost empty bag of almost 3 kg of jewelry I decided to wander around the mansion in case I can find more shiny stuff. Just like that I found the duke’s bedroom. Where I believe must be stored something of value.

I found nothing of value but I found a big jar with 4 flying lights: white, green, blue and red. When I touched the jar the lights approached the place, when I moved the finger, they followed it, as if trying their best to stick to it. The lights are amusing enough for me so I decided to take the jar with me.

I sneaked out of the mansion with all my loot, jumped over the fence and disappeared in the forest. From there I picked flying taxi towards the camp.

69