Ch 52. Search and destroy
1.5k 2 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning I continued searching the way out of the fog. The scouting was still not showing any signs of the enemy.

After the third scouting sortie I found something in the clouds, this was just another flock but the birds looked very concerned that is why I prepared other planes and started accelerating.

I was becoming more and more anxious because something was not right. The enemy should’ve attacked me many times already. I have to think what to do if they don’t show up.

I finally decided to send a large recon force of all fighter flights. All I had to do was to wait for the results.

The results of my search also were insignificant because I failed to find enemy ships. I didn’t even try to search the edge of the fog because I already know it will take a few days to just get there. I have to try to get the initiative but it is impossible without knowing where the enemy is.

After disheartening attempts to find anything in the open space of the ocean I finally started thinking about why I fail to find the enemy. I let my brain work on solving this issue and suddenly I stared using the innate knowledge of Fuji to find the traces of the enemy warships.

The thought of using the memories of someone else was unsettling but I decided that if this knowledge is a part of me then I should use it to its maximum. The survival is more important for me.

[Think, Fuji, where would you hide yourself?]

I started analyzing the information I received so far and I found the possible traces of the enemy. Several large ships with no escorts. Considering I fought US ships before this means there can be a BB or CV task force. If I will meet the battleships I will have to maintain the distance and torpedo them until they are sunk. The carriers on the other hand will be a pain in the a*.

I am uncomfortable with trusting myself to the alien memories but I continued analysis of possible actions. The clues I had are not enough to pinpoint the position of the enemy fleet so I continued scouting using the scouting techniques of Fuji.

While the scouting continued I started anti-submarine maneuvers, just in case.


Three hours later I saw a formation of 3 carriers. They sailed in parallel to me and by the looks of it they managed to find me beforehand. I started looking at them to identify.

The first carrier I confirmed to be Enterprise, the second carrier is too covered in the smoke and mist to be identified, the third one is covered too. I sent my scouts into the clouds to avoid detection.

The carriers should have around 90 planes each, if they are similar to the ones I fought before they will have F4F fighters which should not be too dangerous for the Zero.

After I somewhat confirmed their formation I prepared torpedo bombers for a rapid strike from low altitude, and a large group of dive bombers to hit them from the clouds. At least that is the plan. While I was still hesitating if this is a good idea I still decided to do a preemptive strike and take down one of the enemies.

All 13 groups of torpedo bombers will hit simultaneously from two sides. They set course to attack from 10-20 meters altitude, that should be enough to avoid detection before it will be too late to avoid or intercept. A few moments later I will send dive bombers to attack the decks and to destroy their fighters and thus secure the air superiority.

When the attack began the carriers had to start maneuvering without having space for that and without having time to evade the torpedoes.

Torpedoes hit Enterprise and caused flooding, the second carrier took several hits but they caused minor damage. The third carrier had its bow hit and started losing speed.

A minute later the enemy started lifting their fighters from the hangars. That is when the dive bombers fell from the clouds above.

The results were pitiful, only one hit to the second carrier. The bomb penetrated the deck and exploded inside her hangar. One carrier crippled, two slightly hurt. Now they know about my actions and they will try to counterattack me.

While I was trying to identify the second and third carriers, all carriers disappeared into lights and I found 3 girls in their place. I decided to follow their lead.

Now I understood who are my enemies: Enterprise, Yorktown and Hornet.

35