Ch 98. Deus ex machina
620 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of flute was somewhere far away yet it was clearly heard here. I opened my eyes and saw an edge of a sword in front of my eye. I accurately slipped downwards and walked to the side of the demon king.

His hand was held by the goddess of dark and I was about to make a joke of this but when I looked at the goddess I became curious about what is going on. She was pale and shivering.

[I wonder why she is pale. If this is because my goddess can punish them then the gods should know she just went somewhere else.]

“Why are you holding him? Is it somehow related to your complexion?”

“You are saying it without knowing anything. Ignorance is bliss, am I right? If you knew what this music is then you would cry in terror and try to dig yourself a grave while you can.” (S)

The flute stopped playing and Shrea breathed out in relief, she also let go of the demon king’s hand.

My Goddess, why did you let this … go?” Instead of getting his answer he was disregarded.

“Now that we worked it out, can I get my answers?” I waved my hand to attract the goddess’ attention.

“Why should I answer to you?” She looked at me like at an ant and arrogantly turned back at me.

‘Flute’

Right after a melody started playing again Shrea turned at me and amiably asked “What would you like to know?”

“Can Rin be resurrected?” I showed her the cloth. This time I was not showing off how great I am because I am not in the best situation right now. I have the demon king who was too close to killing me and the goddess who can quite easily screw over my plans.

“This is impossible for me, however, if you are willing to kneel and beg for the answer, I know how it can be done.” After the flute went silent again she returned to being arrogant.

I did not answer her anything, neither I did what she asked. I only flicked my fingers and as if waiting for my signal the flute continued with a different tune. The next moment Shrea was as pale as she was in the beginning.

So, it looks like… Okay, you answer me and I let you avoid kneeling and kissing my feet.” I want to pay her back a bit yet I want to go away from this crappy place ASAP.

“If you find the source of the melody then you can save your fairy.” With this I left the demon king’s palace. The melody was changed immediately after Shrea stopped being arrogant and now I just have to trace its source.

At the front door of the castle I walked into the god of light. He was as amiable as was Shrea when the flute played something threatening. Considering that I have a moment before the taxi arrives I asked him about why the hell I could not kneel the demon king.

“Do you really think you had any god abilities to begin with?” (A)

“And how I was able to do something without them?” I still don’t understand how the hell it works.

“We were the ones who gave you a part of our own powers, right after… [Whisper] she made us do it.” (A)

I was not able to understand what is going on or why would they give me their power and then strip it away from me just on that person’s whim. I have a lot of time to ask what the hell is going on but right when I was about to pepper the god with question my taxi arrived and I had to hurry my packing.

After I jumped on a plane and sent it to climb up then turned off its engine and let it glide. Without noise interference my ears were able to hear the flute and I was closer and closer to the source.


I saw a figure in a field. The field was large enough to let me try landing the aircraft but after a couple of tries I decided to just jump down in an old-fashioned way and then land the out-of-fuel plane at the deck.

Soon I approached the source where I saw my old acquaintance. She continued playing flute without paying any attention to me. Knowing that I might receive physical harm for irritating her I just sat near and waited.

“What did they say?” She stopped playing for a moment.

“I heard that the source of the music can help me.”

“Not the answer Akagi-sama was looking for.” I will have to tell her everything.

[Wait a moment, I can just recall what happened.]

As I was remembering what happened I saw how Akagi lightly nodded and soon changed the tune she played.

“So, do I really have no super powers?” After I was done recalling the events I asked her. She nodded.

[Why nobody said that to me?]

“Because Akagi-sama said from the start, you will not be a goddess. Only divines have godly powers. You are not even a step closer to being divine. Akagi-sama lets you play a goddess but I never said you will have some powers of your own.” (A)

“Fine, can you?” I showed my cloth ball for Nth time.

She looked at it, then at me, then again at the ball.

Hmm… don’t want to.” With this she returned to playing the flute.

[What? What the f*?]

11