V2 Ch 13. The breakwater
441 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My plane was looking at the battlefield from above. Through the loud sounds of battle its engine was appearing as a wind. Because it was unnecessary to mask it while everyone is busy, I was getting a steady supply of information.

The enemy army is getting shredded rapidly but even that was not enough to completely stop the advance of the orcs. When the pressure became unbearable I offered myself as a shield to hold the orcs back with my armor. The orcs’ bronze swords were too weak to even scratch my armor while my stiletto was making them die one after another. My survivability is a great advantage which makes the enemies stay here while the others are preparing to defend in the village. It is a risky move but we lack manpower and strength to keep staying outside of the village.

I am assured that the enemy can’t get past me until I myself decide to retreat.

Miss Delight, retreat!” When the others were done with their preparations I was called and within a moment I retreated.

I can already feel that the collateral damage will be high but the villagers will repair what they lost, as long as they survive. With no reasons to hold back I continued firing whatever guns I have. The main caliber is out of commission and I am reluctant to repair its unreliable mechanisms, so for now I will have to do everything with smaller guns which do not have break downs worse than jamming which can be solved in seconds.

“Just how many are there?!” The adventurers were astonished by the amount of work they received.

“Did I not say there is an entire army? Furthermore, won’t you be paid for the materials you gather?” Adventurers in the novels usually receive money for trophies they gather, so isn’t it better for them?

WE DON’T GET ANY MONEY FOR DYING!” I guess it is better to stop angering them while we are fighting.


With one more adventurer dead our fighting capabilities decreased even more. What saves us is that there are not too many orcs. I doubt that the orcs sent all of their army here. They might just walk over us if they wanted to.

Nothing is going to happen if we will just stay here. I pushed into the orc tide, to their great surprise I am much sturdier than a common human. The reason I did this is to make the orcs surround me and thus my fire will have at least some chances of hitting anything.

Even with me as a breakwater, there were too many orcs and too few hits to stop their advance.

Soon I pushed far enough to make the orcs behind me try attacking me instead of the adventurers. It was enough to decrease their load to the level they can handle the enemies who make it past me.

The village was turned into a mess. Everything is filled with bodies and shredded by the gunfire. I could only pretend I had nothing to do with this.

The orc masses began moving again, this time, however, they were falling back. The ones who already were in the village continued fighting but the main enemy force retreated to the hills around. I could not understand their actions but at least it gave us enough breathing space. Ten minutes later I could cease fire and join the others in sweeping the last survivors.

My gut doesn’t tell me that something is wrong, perhaps the enemy army acknowledged its excessive losses? Whatever happened, the assault has ended and I could concentrate on scouting what the orcs do.

“Miss Delight, what are you going to do?” Lilith pulled my sleeve.

“I am sorry, it was rude to ignore you. What would you like to talk about?”

“The orcs ran away so what should we do?” (L)

“There are too many of them, what should we do, I wonder. They encircled the village.”

What?!” Did she really think that everything is over?

“You don’t need to worry, just trust me.”

“Yes, the ‘best’ option. Listen, if you are such a capable person as to tell what the orcs do, then how about you go there and help them find their way out of here? (X)

Did I not mention that it is my plan?

“Are you crazy?” Xera was dumbfounded after my statement but it is not my problem.

“You really are a dumbass… The orcs are not known for their hospitality. With their brutality going there is a suicide.” (X)

“Thank you for your concern, I shall be going.

Xera, you are going with her.” (L)

“Aye, milady.” (X)

Did you not say that it is a suicide?” While I am assured of my safety, it cannot be said about Xera’s safety.

“Blabber all you want but those are my duties. I’m not going to give you all of the glory for stopping the orc invasion.” I could only sigh and let her follow me.

We never said anything until we arrived.

6