V2 Ch 14. A private detective
435 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Soon we approached the orc position. Large figures of pig-faced monsters glared at us. A blood-soaked warrior with two swords and an out-of-place fragile looking girl with a sky-blue cloak.

While I expected the orcs to attack, none of them approached. As soon as we walked to them, the orcs stepped aside giving us way. Some of them were looking at us with fear, some with respect, some with sorrow and rage they barely held back. I quickly made my way to the place where I suspected will be their chief. There I saw a huge orc with countless trophies on his armor. He looked at me and his attendant gestured us to come closer.

Xera smiled with a sense of pride and placed a sword on her shoulder. She walked forward but the attendant blocked her way. I made my way past the enraged knight.

The orc chieftain and I stood facing each other and none of us was willing to greet each other first. In the end the orc gave me a small bow with his head to which I responded with a flawless curtsy.

Strong. Kill many brothers. Protect settlement. Know why orc come?” The chieftain tried speaking in human language but it was hard for him.

“My honorable enemy, it was my pleasure facing your brethren. It was too close to our death ‘Chuckle’ yet we really do not know the reason your kin attacks this village.”

Sweet words. Feeling mutual. Sweet tongue honorable. Me answer, humans take from orc, orc want back.” (C)

“What did they take?”

Son, heir. Never see back. Ask, beg, nothing. Gather brothers, come here. Die here from sweet tongue war sprite.” This was enough for me to have some suspicions about the villagers.

“I am not going to say that I trust you but I still should look into it. However, if you think you can fool me…” I threatened him, just in case.

Orc stay here. Wait war sprite return.” (C)

I turned around and dragged Xera by her hand. When we were far enough she asked.

“What will you do? Do you really plan to make the villagers answer about it?” (X)

“That is the plan.”

“Do you think they will agree? I hope you are not that stupid.” (X)

“They will answer eagerly. No one refuses to answer when a blade is aimed at their neck.” She grinned.


It did not take us long to return, the villagers all gathered around us with happy smiles on their faces. The adventurers stood a bit further from the crowd and perhaps wanted this quest to end as soon as possible. I approached Lilith and whispered to her that something is fishy in this one. She nodded and went to the adventurers. Meanwhile, I approached the villager who was giving the orders when we were preparing.

“Congratulations! Thank you for saving us!” He was smiling and thanking us again and again.

“Do you know why the orcs attacked the village?” I dropped the bomb.

“They want to grab everything we have, what else could they want?” I felt that he was confused for a moment which fueled my suspicion.

“Nothing else? They suddenly showed up to plunder the village?”

“Yes! They s-showed up not too long ago.” He was even more confused.

“And it is not related to an orc child in any way…”

What are you trying to… erhm… I mean we have nothing to…” I just pressed the stiletto against his throat.

“From this moment on, please, do tell everything sincerely.”

“What the hell are you doing? Hey, noble, are you finally nuts?!” The adventurers ran here and tried to stop my interrogation but Xera blocked their way.

“Would you be so kind to tell?” I continued pressing the villager.

“I don’t know what you are talking about! Hey, you! We are paying you!”

“So, my good sirs, will you ask him why you had your comrades killed? Or will you try to stop me?” The adventurers decided to wait until the villager tells. The other villagers were also not feeling comfortable and the one I interrogated finally spilled out what they did.

“So, you captured an orc child and then sold it to a slaver? Then you understood you are in a trouble and asked for help.” I feel like Sherlock.

YOU…!!!” The adventurers were now being held by Xera to avoid bloodshed.

“Where did the child go?”

“We… we can tell you…” A couple of people who were involved in the deal have told me everything in exchange for me making the orcs go away. Soon I told the orc chieftain about that and the orcs retreated.

I decided to go and search for the slavers whom the child was sold to. Lilith joined my cause too.

“So, busybody, where are we going now?” Xera tagged along as well.

“For now we will go and find a town the villagers mentioned.” There we will try to find more adventures.

7