‘A side story of darkness and a cat’ No 26.
262 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The saladmeister

Remember what I said and everything will be PERFECT.’ The fat man was giving me the final instructions.

All of the contestants gathered in a large hall. Every team has a table and the utensils provided by the king.

Contestants…! You can start now!

Everyone started cooking in hurry. Some were cutting the ingredients, some were mixing something in their bowls, and only we were leisurely setting up all of the plates and sorting every ingredient.

“Now, do you see how the bindweed stem has hardened?” (FM)

“Yes.”

“You will have to peel the hardened outside until you reach the softened insides. Do it only right before serving it. UNDERSTOOD?” He glared at me.

“Yes, chef.”

“Start cutting these.” (FM)

Unlike the other contestants we did not hurry and even though our salad is simple, I know what should be done to win.

2.5 hours later.

Everyone! Put away your utensils and present the dishes! Who will be the first?!

We are the first.” The fat man shouted and pushed me towards the small table where the jury sat.

That cat-kin, ha? Let’s see…’ The king grinned.

What are you presenting to His Majesty?” The current royal chef asked me with disdain.

“The Chef’s ‘I will cut everything that stands in our way’ salad.” I placed the small dish with some uncut vegetables and a few stems of the bindweed.

Cut-Slash-Cut

Cut-Slash-Cut

Cut-Slash-CHOP

“Bon appetite.” Said I as the last pieces of vegetables and stems stopped falling down into the dish.

Y… W-well, it is a… peculiar… presentation…” The king was smiling so it does mean I won, right?

Crack

Bom

After all, the victory receipt was right: [‘You will cut everything right in front of His Majesty. Your swordsmanship should do the trick.’ – ‘Then why did I pick the stems?’ – ‘Well, the dish needed something conspicuous.’]


Of course, the king had no way of rejecting the dish. Not with the sword’s tip near his face and surely not with the table cut in two right in front of him. The salad itself was rescued before it fell on the floor, but it is a completely different story...

3