V3 Ch 2. The Wild Blue Sea
401 32 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I watched how waves drenched the sand on the beach.

It was a sight I could enjoy forever.

Yet, I had to move out. If I don’t want to rely on the lunchbox, I need to find a civilization.

I approached the water, and stepped on it. Then again. And again.

Only after I made sure I can stay afloat, like a water strider, I made the test sailing. I quickly got used to moving on the surface of the water. What made my training harder is that pinging sound that appears when I am afloat.

Ping… ping… ping…

Soon I started feeling what was happening in the water nearby. The sonar was detecting fish and other animals. I knew their movements and location. This vague information was enough to act. And, just to test the concept…

Splash

Two barrels fell into the water and soon hit the bottom.

BOOM BOOM

I felt the shockwave and saw the pillars of water but I did not have my ears bleed. The sonar turned off right before the explosions and turned on immediately after the sound stopped.

[Tonight I will have some grilled fish.]

There was so much fish around me that I could literally carry a pile of fish in my arms. There was no need for that, so after I picked up a couple of large specimens, I left the scene of bioterrorism.

I sailed at full speed through the sea. In the distance I saw a couple of islands but they would be as deserted as the one where I was.

Ping… Ping…Ping…

Instead of usual fish dots I heard something else.

‘Ping. Ping. Ping.’

I immediately dropped depth charges.

Ping-ping-ping

BOOM BOOM

Ping-Ping-Ping

A large object quickly changed direction but still was circling around.

Splash

The object immediately changed its direction and moved away from the barrels.

BOOM BOOM

I continued dropping the barrels like crazy but they all were exploding deeper than the target and neither of them wanted to deal a serious blow to it. But it forced the attacker to approach the surface.

It was a shark, judging by its fin. A large fin.

Bang Bang Bang

Small splashes of rapid-firing guns were landing near the fin but they too could not hurt the shark. So, I…

[I’m going to regret this decision…]

Splash

One torpedo was dropped into the water. And sunk immediately.

I had no time to facepalm, so I continued peppering the shark fin.

Bang Bang Bang

One of the shells hit the fin and the shark dived. I dropped a lot of depth charges, and kept on firing at the surface of the water, to disorient it, or to at least keep it underwater.

BOOM BOOM

The pinging stopped. A black shadow started rising from the water, as well as a red spot on the surface.

I patted my shoulder, because I am the only one who can, and continued in the same direction I was going. But the longer I continued, the less islands I was seeing. Soon I understood, that I am only heading further into the open sea and that I will never encounter anything useful out here.


The crimson color of the sky reminded me that I am an idiot. I wasted a lot of time for no reason and now I will have to sleep in the middle of nowhere. Without a shelter or food. Also, I only now noticed that I dropped the fish into the water when I was fighting the shark.

I AM SUCH AN IDIOT!!!

Ping-Ping-Ping

My shouting attracted another object…

After I dropped a few presents I steamed away at full speed. Luckily, my speed was much higher than the pursuer’s.

But it had its own consequences…

[So, I am in the middle of nowhere… I see no land… I have no idea where I am going… It is already night…]

Even in the complete darkness I was able to see where I am going, albeit worse than during the day. It helped me navigating but the sight distance was not enough to see any land.

I was already desperate to find something so I just set course and maintained it. I was betting everything on it.

My watch showed that it was past the midnight, but I saw nothing, except for water.

By the dawn I managed to find that not all of the water is the same… There are some algae colorings to it…

Also, I bombed a few sharks…

Only when the sun was already visible, on the horizon I saw something. I just rushed there, without thinking…

What I saw there was disturbing…

It was a wreck of a sail ship. It was not mossed, neither it was stranded. It was afloat but with a lot of holes in its sides. It was slowly sinking.

It was still somewhat floating so I had no choice but to climb inside and sleep there.

1