V3 Ch 5. Big city streets
375 8 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I crossed the long stone bridge and stepped on the streets of the city.

The first impression I had was that I am in the same village I was this morning.

Around me were small wooden houses, some small shops, and cattle. There were people walking on the road and making way only to the wagons that were flowing into the city. However, I quickly understood that those are some sort of slums where people live because they cannot live in the actual city.

Soon I was walking on a paved road and was surrounded by stone buildings with extravagant decorations. Only few of them were 2 floor buildings, because those were the lowest.

What surprised me even more is that every passer-by was smiling. Cheerful talking and smiles were everywhere. The shops were crowded by happy customers, the markets were filled with laughing, the streets were bustling.

I approached one of the street stalls.

“Hello, can I buy an apple?”

Oh, beast-kin? A rare sight here. Of course, choose the one that you like the most!” The vendor showed me large baskets of red and green apples that were almost screaming how juicy and fresh they are.

“When were they harvested?”

“Just today! Every morning they are harvested and by the midday they are already on the stalls! The government does its best to keep the people healthy and happy!” The smile of vendor calmed even my paranoia.

In the end I chose a couple of apples and paid a copper coin from my reserves.


I continued strolling through the city and the further I went, the richer were the buildings. Of course, for a city to have all of its buildings well-decorated is already commendable but I am sure that I am yet to reach some kind of a ‘noble’ district, even though I see gold decorations on normal houses.

While I was searching for what to do I decided to listen to the gossip. I hid behind a corner, as if I am resting. My cat ears hear from a large distance, and soon picked something curious.

Those ruffians again?

Yeah, I heard they sunk another merchant ship.

Oh, God… Are there any news? Did the government do something?

I heard they increased the patrols but they lack fast ships to chase after the pirates.

That’s what happens when you build too many battleships.

At least we are well protected. Those cutthroats will never dare attacking the city.

You’re right, you’re right… What about the…

After that their talk switched to a different topic.


I continued making my way deeper into the city and soon I started seeing less people, but the ones who were on the streets were dressed much better. Also, the wagons changed to carriages.

Another thing that changed is the way people look at me.

In the city I did not see any direct hostility towards me but I surely felt glances from the passing people. I was under constant observation throughout my journey but after I entered this rich district, the people stopped caring. Actually, they were paying more attention to me when I folded my ears and hid the tail.

The further I went into the rich district, the saltier was the air. Then, I started seeing warehouses and wagons. I continued walking there and saw the sea.

It was the main port of the city and the roadstead was filled with two and three mast ships. Even more ships were docked and unloading. Further in the sea I saw a number of even larger ships, quite possibly the battleships the people were talking about.

I remembered the way to the port and returned to the city, to the cheaper part of it. For now, I need some accommodation, and preferably, cheaper one.


I entered one of the inns.

“Can I book a room?”

“We don’t serve beasts. Sorry.”

The next inn…

“The owner forbids the beasts to book rooms. Sorry.”

And the next…

“No beasts allowed. Sorry.”

I kept on trying but everyone refused…

Then, I remembered that the rich district was not too negative when looking at me. I gave it a shot and…

“On whose name will the room be booked?”

On mine…

Are you sure…?

Yes.

Do you even have the money…?” I put 3 silver coins on the table.

Ugh… Fine, you can have a room for a night… Just don’t get into anyone’s sight…

For an affordable price of 2 silver coins I was given a small room for servants…

2