V3 Ch 6. The purring outcast
325 9 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After my illegal sleep in the inn, as well as losing the majority of my funds, I decided it’s a good time to find myself a workplace.

I started with a market.

Even in the morning the market was filled with people. The vendor from yesterday did not lie, there are many wagons arriving with fresh goods. The yesterday’s food is loaded into the wagons, replacing the fresh goods unloaded.

Unlike the usual people here, the coachmen don’t smile. I mean, they don’t smile as naturally as the people here. Their smiles are so forced that it makes me shiver.

“What’s up with the coachmen?” I asked one of the vendors.

With ‘em? They are from the villages. Those people are not as happy as we are. They live by themselves, with little to no support from the government.” (V)

“Weird, if the government supports people here so much, then why not support them in the villages…?”

Ha-ha-ha… You must not be local, that explains everything… Just don’t look into it too deep. You won’t find anything but simple ‘The city needs to prosper’.” I thanked the vendor and started searching for a workplace.

I approached a small shop in the market.

“Can I work here?”

Beast? S-sorry, we have no free workplaces here.” I skeptically looked at two workers, who barely handled the amount of goods delivered. Not to mention a long queue of people waiting in front of the shop, because there is no shopkeeper in place.

At least think of a better lie.

It… is not your problem, beast.” I was pushed away.

Instead of making a scene here, I just headed to a different place.


I entered an inn.

“Do you need workers here?”

“We don’t hire beast-kin.” The manager stopped me immediately.

“I am nimble and smart.”

And I am strict and law abiding.” I was pushed out at once.

I tried inns everywhere, including the ones that are in the bottom of the world. Every single one refused to even consider me as workforce. Even as toilet-cleaning workforce.

[Damned racists…]

The longer it dragged on, the less I felt concerned with it. After my initial disappointment and rage subdued, I felt melancholic and apathetic about this.

I just continued trying here and there. With the same results everywhere.

By this point I actually caught myself thinking of applying to a brothel…


After understanding the depths of my desperation, I thought about the capitalistic action. I have an entire silver coin, which I can use to buy goods and sell them. But the reality has its own will.

I approached a ‘policeman’ to ask.

“How can one become an owner of a stall at the market?”

First things first, ‘one’ should be a citizen. You are not local, are you? Beast-kin are not citizens, so don’t try. And if you would be caught trading with no license, you will be arrested.” (P)

Why is it so hard…?

“There is nothing personal, girl. Beast-kin were caught stealing so many times that everybody lost their faith in them. Now, they are struggling to keep themselves afloat, and prospering is but a distant dream.” (P)

“Still, it is too harsh.”

The policeman petted my head.

“The laws of this city are harsh but just. That is why we keep prospering, unlike many states around. If you find yourself a source of income, then you would forget of any needs. However, don’t mingle with any criminals. Just a friendly advice.” He continued petting me. I even felt the urge to purr.

Seeing how this man was so kind, I felt like it might be my only chance to find a job.

S-sir… I will do anything, if you tell me of a place that will actually consider hiring me…” I tried to make a sexy pose. This city was ruthless but I don’t feel like surrendering and going back to the village.

You will…?” His face twitched a bit and he led me behind the corner.

[I am stupid… S-so stupid…]

I unbuttoned my collar.

“If I tell you where you can find a job… will you…

…let me touch your ears?” (P)

^_^ ?

The man was ‘lecherously’ looking at my cat ears.

F-fine…

He gently touched them and made me purr.

Purrrr

Purrrr

So soft…’ (P)

Purrrr

“The docks are always short on workers. Everyone is becoming a lawyer, a trader, a realtor… The dockers are so desperate that they are willing to accept everyone. There you can find many options. If you like water, you might try... ‘Purrr’ …joining one of the ship crews. They too have the need for sailors.” (P)

Purrrr

I cuddled and rubbed my cheek against his chest to show my gratitude.

Thank you~.

He patted me again and I headed to the port.

Is alienating beast-kin in this city a bad thing?
  • The city is too intolerant. Votes: 8 26.7%
  • The beast-kin are guilty for that. Votes: 3 10.0%
  • It must be because of supersticions. Votes: 19 63.3%
Total voters: 30
3