V3 Ch 10. A cat in a cage
235 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While I had nothing to do, I focused on thinking of a way to set myself free with diplomatic ways. If nobody agrees to consider letting me go, I can always escape myself but with casualties expected.

In the end I could not think of a better way than naively asking to let me be freed.

I waited until a sailor was nearby, alone.

“Why don’t you open the cage and let me walk around? It’s not like I have anywhere to go.

I… I guess it’s fine…? Just don’t go anywhere.” (S)

The cage was opened and I wandered around the cargo deck.


When I examined the crates, I confirmed that there are unmarked crates placed throughout the deck. All of them are hidden among the normal crates, on which I found marking of what is inside, where it is shipped, and who is the receiver.

The sweet freedom was very restricted and nobody allowed me to move out of the hold. I did not pursue further mobility for now and just waited for the best opportunity.

Ya were let out of da cage?” The captain climbed down and looked at my examination of the crates with irritation.

So I must sit there all the time?

Ya must. I ask ya to never stick yar nose out of dere without a permission.” (C)

“But I was permitted.” I said in triumph.

If he’ll let ya out of dere one more time, he will be occupying a cage next to yars.” (C)

Bah! Can’t you be lenient?

I can’t.” (C)

At least tell me why I must sit there all the time?!

Before the captain could answer, a sailor sled down the ladder.

Captain, we are being intercepted!” (S)

Just sit dere and don’t cause me trouble!” (C)
I obediently sat in the cage and prepared to run, if situation favors me.


An hour later, a group of people climbed down here and started thoroughly examining every crate.

They were dressed in purple coats and had a lot of papers with them.

The captain was here as well, walking around and giving them petty excuses, when the inspectors were finding any error.

“B-but it was not our fault, Signore! Da crates were received as is! Da client refused to let us confirm da contents before loading!” (C)

One of the inspectors pointed as a crate and whispered something. His colleague nodded and proceeded to the next crate.

Another counterfeit good. It can be explained as the owner’s stupidity, or as a direct violation.

Keep searching. We need a concrete evidence.

I was tired of waiting for them to reach me. When I glanced again, I saw the captain’s gaze on me. While nobody was looking at him, he put his palms together in a desperate plea not to cause trouble. I continued playing around and remained silent.

The inspection was finding wrong markings again and again. The captain’s face was becoming redder and redder, possibly from fury. I wondered if he was enraged at his suppliers, or at the inspection.


After an entire hour of searching through the cargo, the inspection arrived closer, and finally noticed me.

“Look, a beast. What does it do in here?” (I1)

Hey, Signore, is it a slave?” (I2)

O-of course no… S-she was caught when she tried to steal the goods.” (C)

The inspectors glanced at me with apparent doubt.

Really?” They asked me.

You can say that. A minor insubordination but no stealing.”

So you are not enslaved?” The inspector was still doubtful, so I pushed the door of the cage, which, to the captain’s fortune, was not locked.

You see?

Why would you need to stay there then?” I managed to confuse the inspection.

I smiled, which made the captain pale.

“I was not locked because…

BECAUSE SHE WAS JUST WARNED. IF YA TRY TO STEAL SOMETHING AGAIN, YA WILL BE LOCKED THERE FOR REAL!” (C)

Did anybody ask you?” The inspector barked.

So…?” (I2)

Sir! The Radiant Sun called for you!” We were interrupted by a head, that peeked from the crew deck.

Got it! Mario, make sure you find out what she wanted to tell. Arrest him if necessary.” (I1)

Only one inspector remained. He continued asking me questions.

So… is it true…?’ I already whispered him the locations of the contraband, while the captain was far from us and distracted by delving in something.

‘Nod’

“Signore, can you come here for a mo…” (I2)

BANG

A white cloud shot out from the captain’s hand, and the inspector fell dead.

4