V3 Ch 16. The mice and the cat
255 7 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I steered the rudder as hard as I could. The ship started turning faster and faster, until the ship started moving sideways. I almost came to a full stop, while the battleship was approaching rapidly.

I set full ahead and started retreating. This is not a fight I can start unprepared.

The battleship changed the sails’ angle and followed me. While the boilers were still heating, and the ship was accelerating, the battleship continued approaching.

Splash

I launched the last torpedo with a slight hope of giving myself time.

The torpedo did not start, which left me an awkward position. Due to its high speed, the black sail battleship was closer and closer, and the wind favored it. By the time I started accelerating and outrunning it, they already had their guns aimed at me.

BOOM BOOM

Two shots landed right in front of the bow. I felt like they shall not let me run away. I holstered several signal flags, and reduced speed. The battleship approached me on the move, until it closed to 10 meters from me.

Its hull was as long as mine but its side was on the level of my main superstructure. Its side was covered in portholes with cannons barrels sticking out. On top of its deck were standing a number of people in bitty clothes, each one aimed a rifle at me (ship).

Then, somebody jumped from the battleship, and landed on my deck. It was a figure in a cloak.


I exited the bridge, and walked out to the figure.

I stood in a stance.

Ping

In a second our swords clashed. We stood like that for a couple of seconds, which felt like eternity.

You are not bad.” The voice was feminine.

Welcome? Can your friends stop aiming at me?

The figure waved to the battleship, and the people raised their rifles.

“I don’t like it when somebody sinks good people.” The figure removed the hood. I saw a brunette female with short hair.

“Shots were fired, they brought it on themselves.”

Why would you even approach? Won’t it be easier for this nimble girl to just avoid an engagement?” The girl was glaring at me.

“I am a free captain, who sails freely. They were on my way, and they attacked me.” I decided to try being cheeky.

Then you’re going to answer for it, are you not?” She grabbed the hilt of her sheathed sword.

Not going to. If you have any trouble with it, then let us sink each other for this stupid reason.” I shrugged my shoulders and made a poker face.

Ha-ha-ha! Now we’re talking! Just what storm brought you here?” For no reason, she patted my shoulder and hugged me from a side.

“Well, we can have a little chat before the showdown.” I did the same, and like that two interlinked girls headed inside.


“Just like that I ended up here.” I told my story, with a bit of censorship about Veronica and meeting the Doge.

“Wow, you’re quite a corsair. Not bad.” She was much more amiable.

Now it’s your turn.

No, problem. Freebooter, started since… what was it…? 4 years…? Now, an independent captain of a small bunch of friends.”

[What a detailed story… We have a candidate for Pulitzer Prize!]

“Great, you are a pirate. Good for you.”

Got any problem with that?” She clenched her fists.

Who am I to judge you? I was just drifting anyway.”

What do you mean?” She showed some interest.

“Since that ship was sunk I had nothing to do, well it’s just me talking. We had a chat, so let’s finally sail our own ways?

“No way, I can’t let you go, can I?” She was just sitting, so I guess she waits for something.

Then fight it is.

JUST WHY ARE YOU SO FOCUSED ON FIGHTING?” She exploded, so I felt like it’s the time.

Then what?” She gulped, and was clearly lost.

So?” I hurried her to make an impulsive decision. No idea where from I had the confidence that it will work.

“You know what? Follow us. It would be disgraceful to abandon a fellow captain.” She showed me to the exit.

And if I remind you that this is my ship?

S-still, let’s go.” I led her to the bridge, and I thought:

[Please, let her be caught on my nonsense, and let her lead me to the pirate hideout.]

After she gestured something to the battleship, they started changing the course, and I followed them.

3