V3 Ch 21. Double agent
201 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You found us a good amount of resources.” For a second I expected a continuation but Alba was silent.

Is this it…?

“Why would I need to say more? Or perhaps you expected some sort of a reward?” She approached me.

“Don’t worry, we all are brothers and sisters here.” She patted my shoulder and gave me a meaningful smile.

Well, this Beast did a decent job. Still, she could’ve done it faster.” Patricia started spouting nonsense.

As if you could’ve done it better.

Of course I could! The merchants would surrender immediately just after seeing the ‘Black Demon’!” That black sail battleship came to my mind.

Ha… Patricia, make us some tea.” (A)

Can’t a guard do it…? Like, I am fine with talking for a bit longer, and we are…” (P)

Go and make us some tea.” Alba cut off the started objection.

Yes, Mother…” As Patricia left the hut, I felt a glare on me.


Alba was sitting and glaring at me, without saying a word. I also did not rush to start talking, and so we spent at least a minute just looking at each other.

“Fine, I’ll start talking. So, what do you want?

What do you think of Patricia?” It was the least expected question.

“She’s rude.”

“She lacks manners.” (A)

“Yeah, and she also is too ungrateful.”

“And constantly nags.” (A)

Wait… Why would you be describing her like this?” Alba only laughed.

Do you know why are you still alive…?” I stiffened.

Because I am useful…?

“No, because you are expected to return. The Doge already knows where we might be, since we heard nothing from the second smuggler. He wouldn’t need a lot of time to find us. And unless you draw his attention away, he will start with this area.” (A)

“Why would you tell me that?”

Just a friendly reminder. In case you understand what is better for you.” (A)

And in case I say no?

Alba shrugged her shoulders and waited for me to continue talking.

Something is rotten in the state of Benezio.” After my words, Alba covered her mouth with her palm. She was clearly about to laugh. I continued thinking.

“Why do the pirates want to stay here? Wouldn’t it be easier to run away? Benezio has battleships and a lot of them.” I remembered the port’s roadstead, where dozens of ships were anchored.

“Some may call us pirates but we are more than that. It is not the matter of robbing but a matter of our survival.” (A)

Before this talk continued, Patricia entered with a teapot.


After we finished drinking, Patricia and I prepared to leave.

Wait.” (A)

“Yes?” (P)

“Kuronami has another mission to do. We will discuss it, while you will order supplies for her. A week’s worth of dried food and fresh water.” (A)

“…” Patricia appeared to be dissatisfied but nodded and left the hut.

“So, what are you going to ask?” I faced Alba.

“Take a look at this map.” She spread out an old map of nearby area.

Looking.

“In case you change your mind, come here.” She drew a circle at one of the islands.

What if I bring a tail?

“You appear to be fast enough for battleships or galleons to follow. Also, it is only a messenger. I would be surprised if you decide to join our cause but in case you want, this is the rendezvous point.” (A)

“Why wouldn’t you try to ‘sell’ me your cause?” She was weirdly passive, unlike the Doge who promised me rewards.

Actions speak more than the promises. In either case there will be bloodshed. Can you promise me to keep one secret…?” She looked in my eyes with a timid expression.

I will try…

“No, promise me.” (A)

“Okay.”

Alba collected her thoughts.

“We are preparing to strike the heart of the Leviathan. While they will be plundering our main base, most of our forces will strike the Capital. We will raze the city, and sink whatever we could. Try to stop us, if you want but in the end we, the free people, will either die, or clutch to this only chance.

You are free to go with the supplies you get. Also, I would be grateful if you pass this envelope to the Doge. Go.” She pushed me away and pretended to lose interest in talking to me.”

“Understood. Farewell. Maybe we will meet again…


I headed to the harbor.

Patricia was standing near my ship.

What? Done talking?” (P)

“Yes.”

“Your supplies are on the deck. I’m not a porter so carrying them is your problem.” (P)

Thanks.

What? Not going to talk? Whatever. After your mission is over, report back to me. I was put in charge of your operations. What a pain…” (P)

“Nice to know that. I am going away for a long time.

What?! Hey! It was not mentioned! Why would you go away by yourself? You are yet to prove your capabilities! I need to find someone to supervise! Wait… It’s night already… AH! Wait a moment, I will pack some things and return!” Before Patricia could run away I caught her sleeve.

“It is a special mission. Only I am going.” Patricia looked at me with stupefied face.

MOTHER!!!” She ran away, and while she was gone, I sailed away.

2