V3 Ch 26. Wooden phalanx of the Seas
248 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

70 miles to the southwest of the pirate base.

We were patrolling near a long island for an entire day and night. As Patricia explained, it is one of the possible directions of attack. During the patrolling we encountered only one ship, another lonely submarine.

After we surprised the sub with a couple of far-away depth charges, it retreated. My plan is to make the enemy fleet come here, which might eventually happen.

The enemy showed up in the morning, as expected.


We had 7 frigates and 2 caravels, under the cover of a single destroyer. Against us were 17 frigates and 21 caravels.

Those guys surely want us dead…” I was looking at the approaching pennants through the binoculars.

“We were enough of a pain for them to risk everything. If Mother is right, then the main attack should already be started.” (P)

You said they want to draw us away…? How could they already be at the port?

“They are not at the port, yet. We knew there would be spies in our ranks, like we have ones in Benezio’s, so we set sail to trigger the attack.” (P)

A nice gamble you have…

“Life or death. Nothing else.” Patricia giggled, as if it is something normal. I couldn’t help laughing nervously.

“Here it starts. Kuronami, holster the Jolly Roger!” At the ‘admiral’s’ command I raised the flag, and the fleet started lining up for combat. We, on the other hand, started to approach.

Bang Bang Bang

After a couple of salvos I achieved a hit on a frigate. The ship was damaged but did not withdraw. Meanwhile, the fleets were lined up and started closing in on each other. We were mostly ignored.

Bang Bang Bang

Bang Bang Bang

Despite my efforts we neither achieved significant damage, nor disrupted the enemy line formation. As the fleets entered the firing range, the first clouds of white smoke popped out.

As the frigates fired, one of the enemy ships lost its sails and steered away. Even from afar I was seeing small pieces of ships fly out after being hit. The first broadside ended with routing of one enemy but losing one of our frigates, and all of the caravels.

Bang Bang Bang

With my guns I managed to do severe damage to one of the ships, making it withdraw. As I shifted fire to a group of caravels that approached too close, I scored a hit.

The caravel started smoking, and then exploded like a firework.

The allies were not standing still. Two enemy frigates were sunk and one fled. Two more pirate ships headed down.

As the ships approached to firearms range, I sunk two more ships. The remaining frigates exchanged broadside shots. The pirates sunk one frigate, and immobilized another, while Benezio sunk two frigates.


After the sides suffered huge losses, the fleets separated and quickly withdrew from the area. Benezio lost 10 vessels, some of which withdrew earlier, while we have only one battered frigate and ourselves.

While I was turning the rudder to pursue, Patricia stopped my hands.

“We have a more important thing to do! Head back to the base!” (P)

And what about that frigate? If the enemy returns, they are doomed.”

“We caused significant damage, that should be enough of a breathing space. Return to the base at once.” I wondered if it a good idea, after all the light ships will return.

“They will not return for a few hours, that’s for sure. They need to lick their wounds and repair the holes. Move at your top speed, we need to return immediately!” (P)

“Aye, captain.” Even if the enemy was going to return, I am convinced enough they need more time to repair.

The ship was accelerated to the maximum speed, and while we were heading back, I checked the stats,

Ding

You received 3 copper coins, 2 silver coins, 520 upgrade points


IJN Kuronami – DDL. Upgrade points – 47.

Torpedoes – 6/6.

HP – 3676.

HI – 98%. Damage control compensation – 2%.

AU – 83% (2507nm).

3'' Single turret

Increase caliber - 0/200

Dual gun turrets - 0/400

15'' Dual torpedo mount - Wet-heater

Increase caliber – 0/100

Improve mounts – 0/250

Improve propulsion – 0/500


By the time we arrived, the battle already started. The remaining light ships were engaging each other, while the battleships were sailing at a respectful distance. Only two battleships were an exception from the ongoing mayhem. The black-sail battleship, and a huge Benezio battleship.

You have guts to show up…’ Patricia mumbled.

What?

“Don’t ‘what’." She pulled my ears.

"Bring us closer to the ‘Black Demon’. They are waiting for me.” Nobody shot at us while we were sailing to the pirate battleship. I approached as close as I could, and Patricia jumped to the ship. She thrusted her sword into the side, and used it as a step to jump to the deck.

Only after I separated from the battleship the action started. And I was in the middle of it.

2