V3 Ch 32. The new way
195 4 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My numerous attempts at finding crew ended up in vain, so I had to return to Patricia.

I was directed to Alba’s hut, since Patricia is there.

Instead of entering, I put my ear to the door, trying to hear anything.

…You understand?

No way! Why would you think…!

Just accept the reality.

Even if you tell me…!

Pssst…

I felt like I was spotted. I backed away from the door.

Rustle

I stepped on dry leaves, and now I was surely spotted.

Creak

The door opened and Alba looked outside.

This little trick always works. Watch out for the leafs~.” The woman giggled and pulled me inside.

“No matter what you heard, right now you should be concerned with other things.” (A)

“Can I borrow Patricia? I need at least anybody. I’ll die of boredom if I remain alone.” I put an emphasis on the latter part.

You hear that, Patricia? Cats must not be left alone, or they start being very, very b*y.” Patricia grumbled and turned away.

“You want something from me? What things I should be concerned with?

Alba sat down and threw me a small bag.

Inside were some trinkets.

And?

“Those things are from the West. The Westerners are known for their intricate craftsmanship, and Benezio relies on them for their most profitable businesses. We should try cutting off the ties but it is impossible without contacting the West.” (A)

[Just what stops you from sinking their ships…?]

“What should I do?”

You… you might be the only ship to have chances… The way to the West is deadly. Only few ships return, despite being sent in hundreds. I want you to arrive to the West, find whoever is the leader, and make sure the Western goods stop being sent to Benezio. We have enough strength to disrupt the caravans but it is common sense not to touch ships returning from the West. Our hands are tied there.” I started laughing after hearing that.

[The pirates who have common sense of not attacking ships?]

Laugh all you want, Beast. The people who navigated the Great Abyss ocean are just a step away from being legends.

Cross the ocean, stop Benezian trade with the West, and we all are golden. And we will be diamond if you reroute the trade to us.” I felt that she’s missing the part that the ships rarely survive the trip.

“Then I’ll take Patricia and head out.”

My dear daughter~?” Alba kindly smiled and showed Patricia the way out.

Why me?!” (P)

“Nobody else is willing, and…” I pointed my arms at Alba.

“… the cats must be cared for~.” She showed back at me.

Argh... Just when did the two of you…” Patricia stomped out, possibly in the correct direction.

Alba and I remained alone in the hut.

“Don’t mind her words. She still needs to step over her fails. Can I ask you to look after this impulsive child of mine?” (A)

“Sure thing.”


Patricia packed her stuff and was already aboard when I returned to the ship. I immediately undocked and set sail for the open sea.

Since my presence at the bridge is not required for the controls, I went outside.

The seagulls were circling above the ship, all of them.

Are you guys hungry?” I went to pick up the fishing rod.

Ca-ca-ca!

They immediately started meowing after I moved. The moment I stood, they went silent.

I stepped back, they meowed. I stopped, they shut up.

What do you guys even want from me…?” I ignored the noisy birds and picked up the fishing rod. When I headed for the starboard, the seagulls started meowing again.

“Fine, I’ll fish from the stern.”

When I was walking to the stern, they grew even more agitated, and started to actually swarm around the bow.

CA-CA-CA!

Their shrieks grew so loud that my patience was at the limit.

FINE!” I stomped to the bow, and they went silent. Immediately.

I checked the compass, and I was heading East.

I stopped at the bow, and turned to the starboard.

Ca-ca-ca!

To the portside.

[‘Tumbleweed crosses the ship’]

Then I looked at the stern…

CA-CA-CA!

[Really? They want me to head East, or what?]

I kept trying different things. I was changing the way I look, I was trying to look and walk in different ways, but one thing was constant. The seagulls were meowing only when I walked West and South.

Then it was the time to try steering the ship.

After I set course for the East, the seagulls flew ahead of the ship, and some of them were meowing near the bridge. The closer I was to following the flock ahead, the less noises I heard. I did the same with the North, and the seagulls were showing me the way again.

In the end I understood that they are guiding me. Somewhere.

The problem is, where should I go?

Where should KN head?
  • To the North. Votes: 3 33.3%
  • To the East. Votes: 6 66.7%
Total voters: 9 · This poll was closed on Jul 8, 2021 10:52 AM.
1