Unexpected escort
55 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Trumpets signal the arrival of the imperial family. The Emperor leads the parade, tall and buff just like Xavier, followed by the voluptuous, gentle-faced Empress a few steps behind, and then the two sons, the Crown Prince and the Second Prince, who’s probably my age and is basically a mini Xavier.

I don’t know about you, and I am in no way looking down at consorts, but I cannot live my life forever walking a few steps behind my husband, a woman serving only as a reflection of the man.

Xavier looks even more handsome. With his hair slicked back, wearing his all-white ceremonial uniform, he cleans up well. He is already taller than everybody in the room, but he’s holding his head high, nodding to greetings directed to him without so much as a glance. It’s worlds away from my impression of him. He’s usually so overly familiar and touchy.

All the nobles fall in line, me behind my father, bowing and curtsying as the imperial family walk past us.

“Your highness?” 

I look up and Xavier had paused in front of my father, looking right at me. When I look up, he flashes a smile, and returns my father’s greetings with a bow.

But the Empress pulled on him to keep the parade going.

The trumpets signal the arrival of the guests of honor. The footman’s voice booms across the noise in the room: “His majesty King Longkodo of the Kingdom of Ming, his Queen Consort Shu Xian, and the Second Prince Yin Zhi.” 

They descend onto the drawing room followed by ministers and generals. I gaze in awe at the appearance of people who look just like me, a first in the empire, wearing the most splendid, flow silk robes—yellow for the King leading the way, followed by the Queen in red, and the Second Prince behind her in black.

The Emperor steps forward to the King of Ming with a warm aura, hands outstretched, welcoming the king, who firmly shakes hands with the emperor.

The emperor’s voice booms throughout the room. “I never thought I would see the day. The West and the East exchanging a handshake like this, for the very first time in history. This year’s centennial ball is in honor of the Atlantia Empire’s friendship with the Kingdom of Silla. We welcome our guests of honor, the king of the Kingdom of Ming, along with their Queen and Second Prince.”

While the Emperor is all smiles, the King kept a straight face as everyone clapped their hands politely. 

In this world, the West belongs to Atlantia, the East belongs to Ming. These two superpowers never peacefully interacted in the original story. They even went to war in the end. 

Yet before me is a heartwarming scene of two powerful families breaking protocol and interacting intimately together.

I wonder how far the ripple effect of my transmigration goes.

My thoughts were interrupted by trumpets. The Emperor and the King are already walking side by side into the banquet hall, with the Empress and Queen and the two Second Princes behind them.

Xavier wasn’t in the group. Instead, he had his eyes locked on me, separating the crowd, refusing to be interrupted. I intended to turn around and pretend I didn’t see him but I can’t seem to take my eyes off him. When face to face like this, something about him ruffles me inside. His bold stare, his purposeful stride…

He had just put his hand up to an ostentatious red head in an equally loud red gown. 

“Did he just ignore the Princess of Fraid?”

A shiver runs through my spine at that name. It's the villain of the original story. I had completely forgot about her existence and that she might endanger my life someday.

“Best not cross paths with her tonight," the gossiping echoes my thoughts! "She paid a grand sum for all those spinels in her dress, only to be treated like a wallflower.”

Mean-spirited cackles throughout.

“Is the Crown Prince headed this way?”

“I knew he was looking at me. He’s been staring at me since he arrived.”

“Lady Catherine,” calls out a male voice. 

I turn and it was the newly-instated young Duke of Birmingham, a charming fellow who I had already met as a child. His father is the guy who had been obsessed with Leon Archangel and immortality elixirs. He recently passed away, so the young man before me was quickly made head of a family that actually no longer had much to its name after the former head's will turned everything over to the suspicious head wizard. I smile at him. I remember him being pleasant enough company. “How have you been? It’s been a while since our summers in Normandy…”

I heard a gasp and whispers from behind me. A shadow falls over the young duke. Finally, a deep voice talks over his. 

“May I have your first dance?” It was Xavier, hand stretched out, his eyes pleading me to say yes.

A circle forms around Xavier and me instead of filing into the banquet hall.

“But your highness,” I pretend not to mind them. “Dinner has not even begun.”

Xavier chuckled. “I just don’t want some other gentleman to beat me to asking for your first dance.” His gaze deepens. “And you cannot say no to your first dance.”

Whispers surround us. I try to play it cool and smile back. A glint in Xavier’s eyes tell me he’s enjoying my displeasure. “It is my honor,” I reply with a deep curtsy. 

“I’m looking forward to it. Not only on my honor, but my joy as a man.”

He bows in response, like he didn’t just say something so ridiculous that our audience couldn’t bottle up their squeals. Right on cue, the footmen ring the bells signaling everyone to move to the banquet hall.

Xavier offers his arm. “May I escort you to your seat?”

What can I do? I put my hand on his arm. “Of course.”

A footman approaches us. “Your Highness, the Crown Prince. Lady Catherine of Westburgh.”

Xavier holds back a laugh at the mention of my real name, me being caught in my lie, and I turn my head in the opposite direction. 

A bright, warm glow emanates from the golden crystal chandeliers and golden candelabras throughout the splendid hall. A string orchestra provides the musical backdrop. The white marble walls are embellished with golden moldings and large paintings of important moments in the Atlantia Empire’s history. 

The horseshoe shaped banquet table is vast, seating 170 guests, lined with a grand floral arrangement of red roses—the flower of the empire—as the centerpiece.

“Princess Catherine. Lady Catherine. Catherine of Westburgh.” Xavier thoughtfully repeats my name for the nth time in varying tones and inflections as we walk.

I face him and his eyes are sparkling as he gazes at me. “Catherine.”

I can’t help but laugh at his silliness. “Your Highness, why do you keep repeating my name?”

“I knew you were no Ashley. And now I finally know your name and it’s a name as beautiful as I imagined,” he answered.

I brushed it off. “Did his highness have a matter to discuss with me?”

“Please call me Xavier,” he insists.

“It is only right to call your highness, your highness.”

“I have no desire to just be your crown prince.”

“Your father has already sent a marriage meeting proposal to mine. Even without knowing it was me, you could have at least asked--”

“That settles it, then. You’re stuck with me forever.”

I turn around to argue, but nobles keep interrupting our banter to greet us as we make our way to the top right side of the table. His place is in head of the table. I see my dad take his place at the head of the table, too, next to the Queen of Ming. 

Another footman approaches us. “Your highnesses, the Lady of Westburgh has been moved to the head of the table.”

He adds, as if reading my thoughts, “The head of the tower is unable to make it tonight and my lady is the next most honorable guest.”

My seat is between the Second Prince of Atlantia and the Second Prince of Ming.

Xavier places his hand over mine and leans forward to my ear. “Don’t forget. First dance.”

Before I could respond, the two Second Princes standing by their seats already saw us. A look of amusement from the Second Prince of Atlantia, and from the Second Prince of Ming, is that one of--is that disappointment?

Xavier escorting someone is a bold enough move. A declaration. I swallow my pride, ignore the awkwardness and greet the two princes. It's going to be a long night.

4