Chapter 34
806 10 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gensokyo - Kourindou

-= Marisa Kirisame's Point of View =-

I travel down a gloomy, unmarked path. My clothes feel twice as heavy as usual. A natural result of this morning's drizzle, of course.

Be it sunlight or pouring rain, this forest's leaves will dissipate it completely. Whether it's sunny or rainy doesn't make much of a difference here. You can't even tell if it's night or day... I really like this unbounded feeling a lot.

But it sure is hard to walk when your skirt is so heavy. I feel the rough object I'm carrying within it, and look up. Come to think of it, wasn't it drizzly on the day I got this, too?

He had been running a shop here for as long as I can remember. I don't really like to think about the past often but, well, I remember lots of stuff and the pleasant dimness inside the shop. Yes, there was no such thing as day or night, human or youkai there. It's that kind of place. It's definitely comfortable there, but there's just one thing I can't stand.

It probably has to do with my family, but he's so stiff towards me. Well, of course, since before I was born he was an apprentice to the Kirisame family. In the end, it seems he said that by dealing with our everyday merchandise and human customers he couldn't make the most of his "ability", and struck out on his own. This ability of his, though... it's just a so-so ability that can neither kill nor revive. Just a while ago he was saying stuff like "This is a heater.", and how he uses it in a really weird way. In any case, since long ago he's been reserved when it comes to me, even though I already said I'm not going back to live with my family.

Just then, I saw a fairy sitting on some huge mushrooms. This type of mushroom can cheer people up, so I'll take some to recover from fatigue. He's always being anti-social and listless, so maybe I'll give some to him as a gift.

The forest's mushrooms grow in a blink, and they always grow in different places. They practically pop out of nowhere and vanish just as fast. The forest itself is alive, and it's always changing. But there are things that change even faster than the forest. Like humans. It's really humans that are the elusive ones.

But him, that guy hasn't changed in any way at all since long ago, neither on the outside nor on the inside. For as long as I remember, he was already running this shop, so I don't really know when this apprenticeship story of his happened. How long is he going to live anyway?

There are humans who defy gravity. And there are humans who can stop time, too. But not changing on the outside nor the inside? That may be the one thing no human can imitate. Man, am I jealous.

That's when I realized I had grabbed too many mushrooms so the fairy looked unhappy. It didn't look like I could carry that many, but it seemed a waste to leave them behind, so I just stuffed them inside my hat. They were wet, so they felt a little gross. Wow, I just can't seem to be able to throw stuff away. I amaze myself sometimes.

It was just like when I was living with my parents. During one of his rare visits to my house, he was carrying some scrap of metal, and got in an argument with my father for some reason. I was very young, and even though I desperately tried to listen in, stuff like "hihiirokane" (crimson ore) and "rare metal" was all I could hear. And after that I got curious and started to gather everything from iron tools to old iron rods and even iron scraps, anything that was metal. In the end, it was pointless, but even now that I've left my parents' home, all the iron scraps I gathered at that time – well, trash, really – I still have them at my new house. I could throw away my home, but I wouldn't throw away those metal scraps. I sure amaze myself.

While I was remembering these unnecessary things, I saw my destination. The "rin" comes from being close to the forest and the frequent drizzles. Yes, this is a shop with an owner that would make such an obvious name. The "kou" of incense relates to gods, basically meaning shrine. Geez, this guy really likes this stuff. "Kourindou''. This old and small shop is the shrine that sits on the border between human and youkai, drizzle and forest. So in other words, is this place supposed to be the heart of Gensokyo?


Gensokyo - Kourindou

-= Rinnosuke Morichika's Point of View =-

I slowly opened my eyes to see the old trusty roof of my room.

"Ahhh, that was a good night's sleep."

I got up from my bed and stretched my hands as I let out a satisfied yawn. Then soon headed downstairs as I scratched my head to clear my cloudy mind.

*Yawn*

Another yawn escaped from my mouth as I reached the store and then turned around to head to the bathroom.

"..."

Hmm? I feel like I saw someone was standing there?

"Naah, must be just my imagination."

I said tiredly as I entered the bathroom and then… Well, I did bathroom stuff.

After I washed my face I changed into another set of clothes before going back to the store and then started walking to the kitchen on the other side.

"..."

Hmm? I swear I just saw someone…

"Hah, that's stupid. Do you know what time it is? Who would just stand in… the… middle…"

As I started remembering yesterday's events, my eyes suddenly widened as I immediately turned around and looked back at the person standing in the lobby of the store.

"..."

"...Eh?"

There, standing like a statue, was probably the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in my life. Her piercing purple eyes tearing the soul out of me. My breath halted as my brain tried to formulate a reason for why such a beauty would be in my house this early in the morning.

"Ah!"

It took me a few seconds before something finally clicked. A name coming to my mind.

"Angel-san? …is that you?"

The girl huffed in annoyance before she clicked her tongue and ignored me.

I somehow heard her grumbling something along: 'Damn insect, should've just stayed in a coma forever.'

A shiver ran down my back as I smiled wryly at such horrible words. Definitely not something to be heard right after waking up.

"Aha-...haha…"

Yeah that's definitely Angel-san for sure. Killua-san did warn me about her illness before. About having Chuunibyou syndrome or something. Though I have never heard about that one before.

"Ahem! Anyway, thank you Angel-san."

As she heard me, Angel-san snapped her head back so fast I thought she broke her neck.

"?"

She scrunched her face in confusion as she gave me a questioning gaze.

'She doesn't remember?'

"Umm… for your help yesterday. That heat was really a big help, because of it I could get such a good sleep you know? So thank you again Angel-san."

I bowed slightly towards her to express my sincerity.

"Tsk."

Seeing my thankful attitude, Angel-san clicked her tongue as she crossed her armored arms in front of her strange chestplate.

I just noticed… but why is she wearing such menacing armor anyway?

"Hmph! Don't get the wrong idea lesser lifeform, I was only following the Lord's orders. I don't give a damn about your pathetic hibernation."

"Even so, I thank you for that anyway."

After thanking her one more time, I casually turned around and headed to the kitchen to make some breakfast. Some might think that it's strange that I'm tolerating Angel-san's palpable attitude in my own house, but I have to live through Reimu and Marisa's personalities each and every single day until now. I have already developed some kind immunity towards it. Such things no longer get into my nerves like a normal person would. That's just how it is.

Knock, knock, BAM!

"Hey, Heart of Gensokyo! I know it's kinda sudden, but give me something to dry myself with."

'Oh, speak of the devil…'

I sighed as I put some bread and soup in a tray and walked back to the store. I ignored Angel-san who was glaring daggers at the door as I placed the tray on a nearby table before opening the door of the store.

"Yoo!"

"..."

I saw a black and wet lump. Sure enough, the one destroying my enjoyable? morning was the same troublesome person as always.

"What do you mean by 'Heart of Gensokyo', Marisa? Oh... You are pretty wet, aren't you? Take this towel and dry yourself."

I grabbed a towel from the wall next to the door before throwing it at Marisa.

"Oh, thanks a bunch. And by the way, where ya readin' a book or something, Kourin? It's rainin' today, in case ya didn't notice. Don't you always say that 'The only days for reading books are sunny days.'?"

"I said that sunny days are the only ones in which you can read a book with the lights out. And no, I wasn't reading a book."

"Oh yeah, I brought ya these. Eat a few and cheer up some."

Marisa handed out her hat to me, while wiping her body. It was full of mushrooms inside.

"Are you telling me to eat these suspicious things? Well, knowing you, they're probably fine..."

"Make some mushroom soup with 'em. Here's the towel back."

"Hey, you aren't dry all the way yet! It'll be bad for my merchandise if you sit on them in those wet clothes."

When I took the towel from her, I froze as I noticed that her clothes were still full of water, just how much did she stay in the rain?

Marisa just waved her hand dismissively as she walked past me and into the store.

"This is the part where ya should be worryin' about me gettin' a cold. Anyway, I got a job for ya today. Betcha weren't expectin' that, huh?"

I closed the door while shaking my head, then turned around and saw the staring contest between Marisa and Angel-san.

"..."

"Whew-daze!"

Marisa whistled, impressed by the appearance of Angel-san as she looked back at me.

"Kourin-ze? You havin' another customer than me?"

When you admit to yourself that you being a customer is unusual, I have nothing cynical left to say. Marisa said "I came to ask ya to fix this.", and pulled something resembling an octagon-shaped incense burner from her skirt. Though it was worn out all over, the rust stood out the most.

"Ahh, this sure is nostalgic. Are you still using this Mini-Hakkero?"

"I abuse it all the time for just about everythin'. It's just gotten rusty."

This Mini-Hakkero is a magical item I made when Marisa left her parents' home. Even though it's small, it has extraordinary firepower. It can reduce a single mountain to ashes. I guess it can also be used for heating, experiments, combat, and more.

"Gee, I can't even think of livin' without it."

"I see. Hearing such things is one of the benefits of being an item-smith."

"That's why I wancha to modify it so it never rusts again. Yeah, make the whole reactor part out of hihiirokane(crimson ore)."

Hearing such a word made me briefly imagine that I wasn't talking to Marisa anymore, so I took a more business-like tone out of reflex. I also noticed Angel-san suddenly looking in our direction. It seems she's also aware about the existence of the crimson ore.

"Unfortunately, I don't deal in such material."

I said resolutely to Marisa, but she just smirked as pointed her finger at my face.

"Whatcha lack, Kourin-ze, is the ability to lie. You lack a lotta other things, too."

"Hmph, it's too much of a bother to lie so I'll drop it. But I didn't think you would know about hihiirokane."

"You bet I do. It's good stuff, right?"

"Hmm, hihiirokane is an incredibly rare metal. However, I do have a little that I guess I could use."

"I'd 'ppreciate it."

Hihiirokane is indeed a rust-proof metal. Since its properties practically won't change under any environment, you could likely make the strongest magical items with it. But that said, modifying her Mini-Hakkero would exhaust my supply of this precious metal... What should I do?

"Alright. Since this item is a proud work of mine, I might as well do it."

"Really? That would help me out a lot!"

"Oh by the way Marisa, have you eaten breakfast yet?"

I said as I looked at the wet hat full of gross mushrooms. She didn't eat these things for breakfast did she?

"You betcha I have not-ze! Just make some mushroom soup with 'em. It'll help cheer ya up and that scary lady in armor over there."

Marisa casually put her hands behind her nape as she used her shin to point at Angel-san who has been strangely silent the entire time. I don't know if it's her illness acting up or if she just doesn't bother with us at all. As I was thinking about that, Marisa leaned to my ear and whispered.

"Like… What's the deal with her anyway? I haven't seen her before-ze… she kinda gives me a bad vibe, ya know?"

"Really?"

I raised my brows as I looked at Angel-san. She was now leaning against the wall while crossing her arms. With one eye closed and the other monitoring us intensely from the side. *Shudder* I don't know why, but looking at that glowing eye. I feel like hiding in a hole or something.

"Oh right! Angel-san, where is Killua-san? Did he go out or something?"

I asked Angel-san as I just now realized the absence of Killua-san, Marisa who was somehow now hiding behind me froze as she slowly let go of my clothes. She suddenly looked pale as if the world ended while shakily opening her mouth.

"Umm, K-Kourin-ze? What did ya just say?"

"Hmm? I just asked about the other person who was with her yesterday's night. I offered to give them lodging because of that horrible blizzard."

"A-And his name is?"

Marisa gulped as she asked fearfully, what suddenly got to her?

"Killua-san"

"Eek?!!"


Hello guys, long time no see. Did you miss me? Haha, or is the MC?

So, who should MC visit first in the next chapter? Flandre or Mokou or Shinki, choose one. I'll pick the one you guys chose the most.

26