Birthday (13)
578 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Other than that, Feng Qi had something else to add, other viewpoints which would continue to shake up Jun Yang’s current worldview. “Furthermore, I never said I did not have a plan, if anything, not having a plan is exactly my plan.”

Jun Yang tossed Feng Qi a confused look and the latter explained patiently like a teacher to his student, “It might sound pretentious for me to say this but I have always believed life can be equated to a river. Sometimes the stream is rapid and other time, it is slow but none of us can predict what will come after this next bend.

“We are like flowers floating and bobbing down this river of life. All that we can do is to hold onto our values and principles, and navigate the treacherous river to the best of our ability. To put it simply, it is to follow the flow but not to get swallowed by it.”

After the explanation given by Feng Qi, Jun Yang got a better understanding of the ideology that was practiced by Feng Qi. Jun Yang had to admit it perfectly reflected the way with which Feng Qi live his life. The young man always seemed like he had no worry or care in the world. Jun Yang could see the reason now, because if Feng Qi had no plan or expectation to achieve, then there would indeed be nothing to worry about.

Jun Yang still held out his judgment regarding the way of life proposed by Feng Qi. Even though he did not reject it outright, he still had his reservation about such a seemingly loose attitude towards life. He had been brought up under a certain philosophy his whole life, he was not going to abandon it after a brief conversation with Feng Qi, although things that happened recently did shake Jun Yang’s conviction towards a life of frigid schedule and tight planning.

As the new ideas percolated through Jun Yang’s mind, Feng Qi continued, “All that I can hope for is that I maintain my ideals as life swept us away.”

It felt incumbent for Jun Yang to ask, “What are your ideals?”

Feng Qi looked at Jun Yang and then he said simply, “It is to be with the people I love. Life comes and goes, as human, we are too singular and weak to stop it. The only goal I have in life is to be together with people that I love and people that love me. I have no need for anything beyond that. Everything else is just bonus.”

That was a simple wish but it was something that was hard to achieve, perhaps even harder to achieve than the goals that Jun Yang’s parents had set for him. In spite of himself, Jun Yang could not help but get impressed by the purity and conviction of Feng Qi’s belief.

Earlier Jun Yang criticized Feng Qi for having a lack of planning in life but who would be able to confirm that the ideal Feng Qi held dear was not a valid one?

Feng Qi was not yet done. “Therefore, Jun Yang,” he called the other young man’s name to grab his attention. After Feng Qi made sure he had Jun Yang looking at him, he continued, “I was not being frivolous earlier when I said what I plan to do in the future is to be with you. Because you are the people that I love and one day, I hope you will become someone who loves me. I want to stay by your side to celebrate many more birthdays with you and to bake the cakes that you love for you.”

It was a sweet sentiment that made Jun Yang’s cheeks turn red again. ‘How did he manage to be so smooth with these things?’ Jun Yang thought with a trace of resentment. One day, he had to have his payback and make Feng Qi fluster in public. Although just thinking about it made the young man realize how hard that mission was going to be.

Jun Yang turned his face away and said nothing. Feng Qi was satisfied with the result that he got, at least Jun Yang did not push him away and bar him from being in the future of his life. Baby steps, he reminded himself.

Both of them shared and finished the cake. They left Mist Café and parted at the door. Feng Qi stayed back to lock the door and he wished Jun Yang one last time, “Happy birthday, Jun Yang. I hope it has been an enjoyable birthday for you.”

Jun Yang flashed a sincere smile and replied, “It will definitely be a memorable one. Thank you, Feng Qi.”

While Feng Qi worked with the locks, Jun Yang looked at the man in profile. This young man before him had managed to single-handedly turn his lousy birthday around. And he had presented him with the best birthday present that he had ever received in his life.

Jun Yang’s footsteps that were turning around slowly stopped. Before the moment passed, he rushed forward to give Feng Qi a hug. While Feng Qi was fiddling with the locks, a pair of arms curled around him from the side.

Before he realized what happened, he could feel the warmth transferring from Jun Yang who was hugging him. Jun Yang said in a soft whisper, “Thank you, Feng Qi.”

The hug barely lasted more than 5 seconds. Before Feng Qi could savor the moment, it had already ended.

Jun Yang released his grasp around Feng Qi and he took a clear step back. Jun Yang kept his face lowered and before Feng Qi could say anything, the former turned and walked away.

Feng Qi had always been the one who made the move so he was surprised by the initiation from Jun Yang, he was caught by surprise or else he would have grabbed the opportunity to pull Jun Yang closer and never let go.
In any case, a grin lit up his face. He turned towards Jun Yang’s back which was retreating and he yelled cheerfully, “Anytime, Jun Yang!”

 

13