Chapter 1
117 9 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It has been five days since I was born into this world. In that time, I have come to know a few things. My name is now Zuren, and I now live in a world of magic. I'm not sure if there are monsters, but I have seen magic being used. I live in a large manor, and I have seen many maids and servants around. I think my parents are nobles of some sort, but I haven't been able to see them since I was born. I have had a group of three maids taking care of me, and they seem like kind young women.

All three of the maids have light brown hair, and they seem to be related in some way. I am lying in a crib, looking up at the ceiling, when I hear the door to my room open. I don't have very good control of my body yet, but I am able to turn my head towards the door. Looking through the white bars of my crib, I see Gen, one of the three maids, stepping through.

Gen is a tall woman, standing at around a hundred and eighty centimeters in height. She has long wavy hair, reaching just below her shoulders, that is usually pulled back into a pony tail. Her eyes are green, with flecks of brown and yellow in them. She has a kind face, and a thin body. Gen seems to be the leader of the three, and the oldest. I think she is around twenty three years old.

As I watch her, Gen moves into the room. She walks up to my crib, smiling. "Hello little Zuren, I see you're being just as quiet as usual." She is talking in a sweet, cooing voice, the kind you use with babies. It's a little annoying, but I will probably have to deal with it until I'm old enough to be considered a girl, not a baby.

I'm not sure how I know the language, I don't even know what it's called, but it's definitely not English. It's a soft, flowing language, and I'd love to hear a song from it. I think any song from this language would be beautiful, seeing as normal speech already sounds song-like. 

Gen lifts me from the crib, holding me to her chest, with my head laying against her shoulder. She starts telling me random things, like how cute I am, and how happy my brothers will be when they find out they have a sister.

Apparently I have at least two older brothers, and they probably don't live with my parents. I wonder when I will meet them, seeing as I have only seen my parents once. They probably have very busy lives, both my parents and my brothers. I'm a little sad to know that, but I understand that they can't just stop their usual routines. That's probably why I have three maids to take care of me.

Gen carries me around the manor, chattering at me about anything that comes to mind as she does her normal duties. Gen seems to be mostly helping the other maids, not actually doing anything herself. She probably doesn't have any other tasks, other than tending to me.

I guess that makes her my personal maid, same for the other two. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. If I'm supposed to be a noble lady, I'm probably going to have many restrictions placed on me. I will need to use proper etiquette, and I'll probably have a fiancé. The kind of thing nobles have to deal with. That also means I'll be surrounded by fake smiles again, though I'll probably have a few years before I have to deal with that.

 

The days pass by like this. I don't have much to do, seeing as I'm a baby. I am gaining more control over my body though, and I should be able to actually do stuff by the time I'm six months old. I think that's early for a baby, but I never really paid much attention to that kind of thing in my previous life.

I'm a few months old now, and I have managed to sit up. It was really tiring, and I fell asleep just a few seconds later, but I did do it. No one was with me at the time, since it was the middle of the night, and I don't cry for attention every time I can't see someone.

I have been training every night. Whenever I'm alone, I practice my muscle control, doing anything I find to be straining or difficult. It seems to be working, as I can do more difficult things each time I try. I believe I'm much stronger than a baby my age should be, but I can still barely lift myself into a sitting position.

During the day I act like a normal baby. I don't move much, and I don't show any reaction to the things people say around me. It would be annoying if people found out I remember my previous life, so I'm trying not to let that happen. I think I'm good so far, no one seems to think anything is strange about me, other than the fact that I don't make much noise.

I'm not sure how magic works, but I have seen it many times now, and it seems like a normal thing in this world. I probably won't be able to use magic until I'm a lot older, so I haven't even tried using it. I'm focusing more on my physical body, and I hope to be able to continue doing so as I get older. I'm not sure if woman are allowed to fight or train in this society, but I'm not gonna stop.

 

I keep following my routine for months, training at night, and being a baby during the day. I'm nearly a year old now, and I still haven't seen my parents since I was born. I'm starting to think they don't care for me, even with all the excuses my maids give me. I have been listening to them talk about how busy my parents are, and how much they wish they could see me, since I was six months old. They said that before then too, but not every day, like they do now.

I can walk now. It was easy to relearn it, but not so easy to gain the strength required. I now have the strength of your average ten year old, something I'm shocked I managed to do, but I guess it's possible. It could also be because of magic, even if I still can't use it.

I have learned that my father is a duke, and my mother his wife. I haven't seen my brothers yet, but my maids say they will be here for my birthday. I'm actually a little excited to meet them, but I doubt they will be any different from what I expect a noble to be. I still have a little hope though.

I still don't act differently than a child my age should. No one has seen me do anything other than sit up, and I haven't spoken to anyone. I have repeated words I hear though, I don't want them thinking there's a problem with me. That might be bad, I can't be sure they won't just drop me in a forest and walk away, if they think I'm not normal.

I think they just see me as a normal one year old. They act like I am, anyway. The servants around the manor seem to like me, but they definitely think I'm at least a little strange. I understand though, even I think I'm strange. I'm just going to blame my previous life, and the fact that I remember it, though. I'm perfectly normal otherwise.

I'm still sleeping in the same room I've been in since I was born, but now it has more than just a crib and some decorations. My crib is set in the back right corner of the room, and the door is in the center of the front wall. The door itself is just a dark brown wood, with a simple window in it. The walls are also wood, though they're a little lighter in color. The floor is covered by a red carpet, but I assume it is similarly made of wood. I don't think there are many options to choose from, but the wood is definitely high quality.

My crib is just made of white wood. it seems very simple, but it's not like most babies would care about that. I never really cared for the aesthetic quality of something anyway, just the practical quality. If it was pretty, but would break if I whacked it against a tree, I didn't like it. This crib seems like it would be fine getting whacked against a tree.

My birthday is in three days, and I'm in the center of my room, playing with some wooden blocks. I got the blocks from a large chest against the wall. There are three chests along the wall opposite my crib, and the one in the middle is filled with toys. The one on the left is filled with clothing, and the one on the right has toys that I should like when I'm older. I'm fine with the three hundred or so wood cubes, though.

I have been using these cubes to train my muscle control. I currently have a large tower of them, about twice my height, standing in front of me. The cubes are only five centimeters thick, and I made the tower's base a square, using nine of them. It's not very stable, but I'm doing good so far. I had to build myself a stepstool out of blocks, once the tower got above my height.

I'm trying to get the tower as high as possible, before I either fall off my makeshift stool, or I manage to knock it over. It's starting to get hard to balance on the stepstool, and I'm having trouble getting off to get more blocks.

I slowly climb down onto the next step, then move to climb down to the floor. I had to build a new step, after the first got too tall to climb onto. Once I'm standing on the floor, I walk over to the seven remaining blocks, then grab four of them. I walk back over to the stepstool, and set the blocks on the first step. I slowly climb onto the step, pausing every time the blocks shift.

Both steps are half my height, and I spend five minutes climbing onto the first one. I then slowly stand up, balancing carefully on the blocks below me. I grab the four blocks I just set down, then move them to the next step. After climbing onto the second step, I grab the blocks again, and raise them above my head. I gently set the four blocks on the tower, then position them as securely as possible.

I wait a few seconds, watching the tower. Seeing that it is still stable, I climb back down to the floor. After grabbing the last three blocks, I move back to the second step, then set them on the top of the tower. I then reach down and grab a block from the stepstool, placing it next to the other eight blocks, and completing the final layer.

I stare at the tower calmly, waiting for it to suddenly collapse. After a few seconds, I decide it won't, then turn around. After climbing back down to the floor, I take a few steps away, then turn to inspect my creation.

The tower is just over twice my height, and seems to be mostly stable. It's not swaying noticeably, and none of the blocks are out of place. I'm slightly surprised I managed to do it, I doubt I could have done it in my previous body, and that one was fully developed. I can't think of a reasonable explanation, so I'm just going to say it was magic, even if I still can't use it.

After looking at the tower for a few seconds, I walk over to the stepstool. I start dismantling it, piling the blocks a few feet from the tower. I'm left with a pile of forty nine wooden blocks, and I decide to build myself a castle with them.

I start laying the blocks on the carpet, stacking them into the shape of a cube. After I have a large cube, I make battlements along the top, then start building towers at the corners. I run out of blocks halfway through building the third tower, and think about my options for a moment.

I decide to make the entire castle a little shorter, then start pulling blocks off the top of the main cube. I do the same for the two finished towers, then start building the third tower again. I'm just about to finish the third tower, when I hear the door open.

There is a quiet gasp, and I look up to see Zruna, one of my maids, standing in the doorway. She has a shocked expression, as she stands there, staring over my head. That is when I realize that I still have a giant tower standing in the middle of the room.

"What?" I ask, slurring my voice like most toddlers do. I tilt my head at her, with the most innocently confused face I can manage, as I wait for a response.

Zruna just stands there for a while, before she looks down at me. Her mouth opens, but no words come out. After a few seconds she closes it again. She seems to take a few more seconds to calm herself, before she tries again.

"Zuren. What is that?" She asks, her face twitching slightly. She didn't even look at the tower, her brown eyes staring into mine.

I throw the block I'm holding over my shoulder, still looking at Zruna. I hear a light knock, half a second before the entire tower collapses behind me. A few of the blocks are thrown into my view, landing between me and Zruna.

"A pile of blocks?" I respond to her, looking down to hide my smile. I am really glad that worked. I go back to building my castle, as I try not to let Zruna see my expression. She seems to be speechless again, as I don't hear her say anything.

"Zuren, what was that?" Zruna asks, sounding slightly annoyed. Did she forget I'm a year old, or am I acting too mature? I look up at her, my expression serious. "A single big block." I say, staring at her.

Zruna blinks at me, then frowns. "Yes, I know that. Why was it there? How was it there. Why am I even having this conversation?" She asks, seeming genuinely confused. I kind of feel bad for her now.

"Because it was. Because I said so. And because you walked through that door." I say, not answering any of her questions. She just sighs at my response, then turns around, and walks out the door. She even left the door open, that's never happened before. Apparently she can't handle seeing big wooden towers...

I go back to building my castle, but soon grow bored, and start exercising. I decide to train my arm strength today, and start doing just that. I have an hour before Gen comes into the room, saying something about how I'm going to watch her clean the dishes.

I spend the rest of the day sitting on a black marble counter, watching Gen and a few other maids and servants working in the kitchens. Eventually I'm brought back to my room, and set down in my crib. I fall asleep quickly, very tired after everything I did today.

 

The next two days pass as usual, physical training and watching my maids work. Soon I am in my crib once more, wondering what will happen tomorrow. I hope I will finally get to see my parents, it's been so long already. It should be nice to meet my brothers too, even if just to actually know them. I fall asleep with these thoughts in mind, hoping to have an enjoyable birthday.

6