Chapter 24.5 : Nuvole Bianche
22 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Play this to get the feels

Thanksies!!


Alvar POV

 

I was clearly watching her from the living room area of the suite. How she giggled mischievously under the covers, to the point where she gave in to the fatigue. It’s nothing more than your typical childish woman. I despise those types….

 

“Urgh...” I muttered as I rubbed my face with my palm, slouching over the couch lazily.

 

At the very least, tonight doesn’t have to be a hectic one filled with meetings with the other Families of the North. It’s a huge headache just thinking about it, moreover…..

 

The fact that I couldn’t sleep makes it slightly troubling in this situation. In addition, that loud snore of hers is getting on around the air. It would be fairly annoying if anyone would see her like this. 

 

I laid down on my back on the couch and looked up towards the lavish ceiling adores with velvet floral patterns on it. Staring blankly as I recall the moment when the Godfather’s tongue spoke to me earlier.

 

.

.

.

.

 

“Welcome, my boy. How is the reception? To your liking?” A croaked voice came from the man who was sitting on his grand chair. Smoking a puff of his cigar, one that has been on his mouth for a while.

 

“...”

 

I returned to his main office in the hotel, hidden from plain sight for anyone to notice.

 

“Do you know why I called you here, my boy?” He asked with a sly look in his eyes.

 

“...”

 

The man straightened up his back and leaned over to the desk. With his hands covering his mischievous smirk behind it. His obnoxious aura is lurking around him as if it’s waiting to intimidate me all the time he’s talking. As always….

 

He let out a chuckle, “So, anything interesting happened back at the reception? Curiosity? Eavesdropping? Or perhaps you’re anticipating your lovely wedding night with that girl?~” The Godfather added, trying to crawl under my skin.

 

“... Nothing of the sort, I was keeping a lookout between the guests,” I replied unwillingly to break him of dissatisfaction.

 

“My, my, my, you never let your guard down. Just like what your mentor had taught you. You seeped in through his “lessons” splendidly, you’re right to be cautious. Those Esmonds could have planned something up their sleeves. And the whole Southern Families won’t leave an opportunity like this so easily,” He slurred.

 

“Now then,” He grabbed the tip of the cigar and pulled it from his mouth as he blew a trail of smoke in front of me.

 

“Did any of those Southern folks approach you while I was gone? That damned Don Roderick? His petty little advisor? His… deranged son? Or perhaps any of those hitmen from the Melchior Family?” His tone became lower as if he was growling like a lion.

 

Then I remembered the meeting I have with that…. Seemingly conspicuous Consigliere…

 

“Take good care of my younger sister, I leave her in your hands. Please... don’t break her heart,” 

 

What is he planning to do with telling me that? Something ambiguous? Or something much more than that? It couldn’t have been a sincere request. He should have at least treated me as an enemy, especially with this arrangement.

 

That man is known for being a tactical genius, in both turf wars and the market. I heard that he’s a cunning man, it could have been something blown by the hollow wind. Not to mention that he’s his younger brother’s mentor. With those two combined, there’s nothing to be not suspicious of. What could they be planning around the corner?

 

…...Why does that Consigliere’s aura have some sentimentality within it?

 

“Are you even listening?” A voice dragged me back to reality.

 

I lightly took in a huff of air before my focus returned to the man in front of me.



“What’s gotten into you? You’re not usually like this, Alvar,” He drew his brows together and glared at me, trying to assert his ominous aura over me.

 

“I ask you again… Did any of the Southern Folks approach you?” He slowed down his pace of speech at the end with a more grumbling tone.

 

This feels unusual, questions like this aren’t supposed to be hesitant to answer. But why… why does my body hindered me from spewing out the words instantly? It was as if something else took over my body and shut my tongue before I could answer him. 

 

“...No sir, none of them did approach me,” I replied in a monotone voice, a lie to be exact.

 

There was satisfaction plastered across his face, “Hmmm, good. We ought to be suspicious if any of them did approach you. They might have ulterior motives that they want to lay upon you, my boy. We mustn't risk that,” He commented.

 

He then turned his back on me as another puff of smoke emerged from his seat, “Now move along, you must be exhausted. I will see you tomorrow at the usual place, do bring the girl along with you. For a proper introduction to the Flammia family~”

 

Once he gave permission, I was relieved from my duties. However, I still felt uneasy about the words and thoughts that came from me earlier. 

 

“I expect that you will do as I told you to for tonight,” The Godfather spoke

 

“Leave an imprint on her, will you?”

 

“...yes, sir….”

 

But there was still one question that I ought to ask him before I go.



I straightened my back up and looked at him in the eyes, “When can I see Mira again?”



He replied with a chuckle, “Since you have been a good and obedient son tonight. I will let you see her tomorrow back at the skyscraper. Where her room is, of course,” The Godfather then waved me off with his hand poking from the side of the chair.



“Good night, sir,” I bowed down before I turned my body around to continue walking straight to the door of his hiding spot in this hotel.

 

I heard a low and grumbling snicker before I finished leaving the room.

 

“Do well on the bed, surely the ones charged with the cameras will enjoy recording it… for research purposes~” He then let out a burst of laughter as I felt goosebumps running up my skin.

 

I clenched my jaw and stormed out of the room with only one thing crossing my mind…

 

Mira… when was the last time I have got to see your bright smile again?... A few days?... several days?.... Weeks? 

 

I should leave as early as I could to check on her tomorrow… 

.

.

.

 

Back to the present

.

.

But now the matter in hand… My “wife” was clearly opposing to the marriage as I did. We ought to despise each other later on. We are both pawns to this game in the underground world. 

 

I was lying down, staring up at the ceiling as my heart grew envious of how easily she could shut her eyes and let her consciousness fade away.

 

“..If it were that easy for me,” I muttered as I laid my back down on the couch and sighed.

 

I inhaled some of the chill air through my nose and slowly closed my eyes. Hoping that whatever is waiting for me in the dream world would let me be in peace. Not to once again let real life swallow me up in the countless hours where I could have used for rest. That is…. If I have the privilege to…

 

I slowed down my breathing…

 

 

Placed my hands on top of my abdomen and chest…

 

 

My mind is starting to fade away….

 

 

And here’s the worst part of it…

 

 

As my mind began to shut down, whispers of agony began to fill themselves around me. Screams and cries of pain from those who had been taken care of by my own hands. It revolves around me, chanting curses, pleads, and guilt-tripping words into myself. Those words of them started to seep into my body like a clean cloth being dipped into a puddle of coloring dye. It was starting to take a toll on my body and mental.

 

I was starting to sweat cold moistures, my heartbeat was racing high. My body was pushing me to go back into the real world instead of getting lost in a sea of dreams. Or rather, in a sea of nightmares… endless ones… for a person like me….

 

Just when I was about to escape this void of darkness, I saw a glimmer of light in the dark. A speck of the sun’s ray floats itself in front of me.

 

“Rest easy, Alvar,” A tender voice of a woman coaxed my whole body in warmth.

 

And after that….

.

.

I didn’t remember anything but feel my body drowning in the sensation of tranquility for the first time in forever.

.

.

What was that?

.

.

1