Chapter 5: The Other Family
54 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alphonse’s face turned pale at the words the man let out, the once cunning expression turned to a dreadful one. His heart beated faster than he could have imagined by the mention of his own little sister. The thought of this man laying his filthy hands on Lenna made his blood boil. His pupils faltered, shaking with great intensity as he tried to claim himself back from the desperate comment he heard earlier.

 

“Haha, what sister~? I’m my pop’s only kid. You must have mistaken her for another person’s sister.” He replied, trying to hold back the truth from spilling.

 

“Lies will not get you anywhere, then how do you explain this?” The man reached for his pocket and let out a piece of paper in front of Alphonse’s face.

 

His frightened expression became more distinctive as he saw with his own eyes, a picture of him in front of Lenna’s apartment door. With Lenna opening the door and smiling at him, the expression he so desperately wanted to protect. His adrenaline drive became wild by the seconds as his mind scrambled around in horror.

 

“Won’t you look at that, quite the beauty isn’t she?” The Godfather waved the photo in front of Alphonse’s face, triggering him even more as he bared his fangs.

 

“Leave her alone, you son of a bitch” Alphonse hissed ferally at the Godfather, only to amuse the enemy in return.

 

“Touched a nerve, didn’t I? If that’s the case, we should find a way to use her.” 

 

DON’T YOU FUCKING DARE TOUCH HER!!!” Alphonse launched himself forward towards the man, only to be thrown back with a kick on his face. 

 

“Let us not waste time, shall we? I heard the other guests are arriving” The old man chuckled, turning his back from Alphonse as the figure beside him followed.

 

I’M GOING TO FUCKING TEAR YOU BOTH APART FROM LIMB TO LIMB IF YOU EVER LAY YOUR EYES ON HER, YOU HEAR ME?!?! TOUCH HER AND I WILL MAKE SURE YOU NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY EVER AGAIN!! SHE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THIS!! YOU FUCKS!!” 

 

He limped towards as far as the chains let him, metal scratching around his bare wrists trying to free himself from it. Stretching his body forward, forcefully putting the strength in his legs, even with the one with the gunshot wound. Lumps of tears began to form around his eyes, continuing to bark aggressively at the two fading men.

 

“Shut him up, will you?” 

 

The words from the old man’s mouth hold the towering figure in place. Silence enveloped them as the figure turned their backs. Walking towards Alphonse with sounds of his neck and knuckles cracking.

 

“Do know your limits. You may do whatever you want, but if it happens that I find that his body is all broken… You know the consequences, son” The Godfather threatened his own men with a deep and low voice.

 

“...The Don’s words are absolute...”

.

.

.

Lenna POV

 

“WHAT, SERIOUSLY?! HIS ASS GOT BUSTED?!” 

 

A shocked scream came from the other side of the line as me and Adrian stood outside of the infirmary. With me and Adrian pulling our ears far from my phone in surprise

 

“Calm down, Jules. There are people resting here, you shouldn’t be so loud.” Adrian whispered to my phone, scolding Julia as giggles came after it.

 

“We-hell Mister stolid, first off, HOW CAN YOU BE SO CALM WHEN HER BROTHER IS BEING DETAINED BY THE MOST NOTORIOUS MAFIA FAMILY IN BREMERWOOD?! YOU’RE PARTNERS WITH HIM FOR GOSH SAKE, ADRIAN!!” 

 

Her loud screams made me even stick my finger to my ear that is next to the phone. Adrian let out a sigh and palmed his face in frustration, “Do I sound that calm? As you might know, I’m the one handling to settle down all of the tension here, Jules”

 

“Oh, you just noticed?” A bubbly voice replied to his questions

 

“Just give it a rest, Julia. He has been through a lot today, some authors just stick some of their butts on his face” I slightly smirked at Adrian as he stared at me with a straight face, arms crossed.

 

“Of course, as you wish, Your Royal Highness. But, both you and Adrian are okay right?”

 

“Yeah, thanks for asking.”

 

I could hear stressed groans coming from Julia, slaps echoing to the skin can also be heard, “Ugghhh, I wish I could be there with you guys. Being stuck here in a dorm like a damn inmate and not seeing you guys now is torture” She whined, it made me chuckle in return.

 

“Didn’t you always sneak out of your room at night when there’s emergencies like this?” Adrian tilted his head, with his hand underneath his chin

 

“Problem is, I couldn’t, security in the dorms have just got tight since last night’s incident. So, I’m in a pickle right now, well that’s what my room smells like anyway.” She explained with a joke at the end.

 

“Hehe, right, the turf war happened near your campus” I replied with a realization hit my head.

 

“Eeexactly, but if only I can get away from here, I would’ve give some hugs to my best gurl~ and maybe some pecks on the cheek right now” She ended with imitating noises of kisses at that moment.

 

“Awww, that’s so sweet, Julia. But talking with you now is enough for me, hearing that you’re doing A-okay always calms me down” I replied, and Adrian leaned his head next to the phone as I’m holding it in front of my face.

 

Our cheeks are only inches apart, I couldn’t help but notice the mole beneath his left eye as he narrowed his eyes towards the phone, “What about me, Jules? Do I get pecks on my cheeks too?” His voice went from calm to excite.

 

“Hmmm, I dunno about that, I only offer this to Lenna, you know. But-” She stopped for a second and cleared her throat

 

“I would be glad to give it if you want to~” Her voice turned drastically, lust can be felt only by the notes of her tone. 

 

When I looked over to Adrian, his eyes went wide, disturbance written in every inch of his face. A baffled laugh echoed through the hallway with her voice, along with me joining in her little session of mocks. Adrian just stood there still as a rock, letting out a few stutters as his cheeks are dusted with blushes.

 

“U-uh…. I… I..”

 

“Did I get ‘im all flustered, Lenny?”

 

“Sure thing, congrats, you just broke our best friend’s sanity” I scoffed as Adrian cleared his throat and went back to being his usual self.

 

“I… did not expect that kind of answer, Jules… Although part of me was anticipating this was coming. Using your voice like that is just ‘tempting’.” Adrian replied, still all flustered from Julia’s words.

 

“Haha! Don’t bet your butts that I’ll actually use that on da boys tho, I’m not good with actual flirts”

 

“So what? You’re going to hook up again with some random stranger whose looks are just too surreal to be true for you to practice flirting again?” I sarcastically spoke up, it was just me and Adrian on the hallway at that time, others were on standby to guard the place.

 

“Hell no! You’re just saying that to get on my nerves, Lenny! And fyi, that last guy’s a total butthead lemme tell ya, he’s just a pretty boy with no brains.” She huffed angrily at my words, muttering things under her breath.

 

“Okay, okay I’m just kidding, Julia. Can you ever forgive me?”

 

She stayed silent.

 

“Pleeaasseeee????” I pleaded with such a childish voice, knowing that Adrian would laugh about it later.

 

“How can I say no to my bestie? Welp, guess I have to go now, gotta finish my project tonight. Stay safe you two, best wishes to your Daddy and Alphonse, Lenna. You got this, gurl, YOU.ARE.STRONG, Lenny!! I’m rooting for you!” Hearing her encouraging me like that always hit the deepest place in my heart.

 

Julia’s just too sweet, she’s always been like that ever since I met her. Back in those days, we were just pen pals through the internet. She and I got along discussing things such as novels, boys, and even a few things that we dared not to share with others. It was about a decade ago when Adrian left abroad that I started to muster up the courage to actually make more friends. 

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f34753449486330753633656275673d3d2d3934373131393631382e313633343633336163346630666531393531393730363231363337332e6a7067

It all began when I came across a blog website, people chat about their own lives going around them in every single post. I became invested in it and began my life in the media world. But it didn’t come up to my expectations, not only was I hopeless, none of the messages that I sent were replied to. Was I too straightforward? Was I too open? Or was I being too weird? I was about to give up one day when someone replied to one of my messages. 

 

And that someone is her, Julia Caspers. We would chat for hours whenever we were free, and sometimes when I had my studies here in the mansion. At first, I didn’t expect her to be so friendly, I wasn’t used to it. But later on, as we get to know each other, we decided to meet up in real life. Boy was that first meeting one heck of a chaotic memory. I don’t know what to say to her when we first encountered each other. I remembered that I just quietly stood there in awe scanning her freckled face, that curly Dark-brown hair of hers all tied up into a ponytail. Her hazel irises met mine as she was waiting in front of an arcade.

 

And from that moment on, we were inseparable, she’s an only child living with her parents at that time, but two years after we met, she got herself a little brother, an adorable one you see. I would sometimes include her when I’m in a video call with Adrian, that’s how the two of them met. So when he got back to Bremerwood, me and Julia were ecstatic welcoming him home. And that’s the story on how the three of us became besties. She didn’t mind if I’m part of a Mafia Family, she really didn’t care. 

 

Julia’s kind of like Al in a way, they actually get along pretty well. Considering their laid back attitude and loud-mouthed personality, I say that the two of them should get a room. Both of them are really protective of me, so yeah, it’s like having two Alphonse in the mansion.

 

“I’ll call you later, gimme a heads up on how things are going, kay?” An energetic voice asked, me and Adrian hummed in sync at her question.

 

“For sure, good luck on finishing the project, Julia. See you soon”

 

“See ya soon too, guys!” And then she hung up, still staring at the blank screen with her profile picture of her and her brother displayed in the middle of it inside of a circle.

 

I let out a sigh and put my phones back in my pocket as Adrian stood still with me. We were completely lost when we were chatting with Julia, and now that she’s gone, desperation began to wash over like a wave. Reality hit me like a truck when I think about Alphonse again and again. I started to cross my arms and bit my  right thumb anxiously,

 

“Hey” A soft voice called out as I was distracted by my thoughts.

 

A hand gently placed itself on top of my head with our bodies next to each other. A smile as warm as the sun’s basking light flashed on his face. A small hint of worry can be seen from his expression, even if he tries to hide it. 

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f362d48774e424653366b536b73673d3d2d3934373131393631382e313633343633343665343037343438333537393736383837313337362e6a7067

“Everything’s going to be fine, Lenny. Trust me,” He ensured as he gently stroked my hair, it calmed me down a bit. His silk-like skin always soothes me by the touch, I couldn’t help myself but be flattered by him. 

 

“Hmm? Hold on a second, Lenny.” 

 

His face leaned closer to mine until it was like a few inches apart. His Violet eyes stared deeply into mine as he was scanning my whole face. His hair fluttered forward when he moved, his long tied hair hanging from his shoulder. My heart beat faster at his approach, racing over the roof when his body hovered over mine. A smile appeared across his face as he gazed at me

 

“Knew it” He pulled back and snapped his fingers together.

 

“What?” I asked, confused by his claim.  

 

He let out a chuckle, one that is barely hearable.  His hands slithered into his pocket and took out his plain Teal handkerchief. A symbol of his family name planted on the bottom right of the folded cloth. The cloth then spread like a blossoming flower with his hands as he hold it in his right hand

 

“Your eyes are dirty because all of that crying, let me help you clean them up, may I?”

 

He must have noticed the semi-dry linings of the tears that flowed earlier, “Okay, but please don’t press too hard” I added, it left him to nod at me.

 

“Of course,” 

 

He then took hold of my cheek and started to cautiously wipe the remains of the liquid on my face. I couldn't thank him enough, he’s always been like this to me ever since we were kids. Watching over me, accompanying me when I’m down, every gesture of his filled with such care. Was that why Al said that he can become one of those ‘candidates’?

 

“There you go, all clean, Lenny” He smiled as he pulled and folded his tear-stained cloth back to his pocket.

 

“Thanks, Adrian”

 

“No problem, should we go somewhere else other than here? Just to get things out of your head?” He asked.

 

“Hmmm, maybe. But I want to make sure that the injured ar-”

 

“SIR ADRIAN!!” A voice yelled out in the hallway, a man with a beige suit came running to us. Adrian’s face became straight, his lips as straight as a line with his brows frowned. The man was out of breath as if he was horrified to death running away from something.

 

“You… What happened?” Adrian asked with a voice so worried.

 

“You have to get to the lobby now! There’s an emergency!” Adrian’s face became more stressed as he narrowed his eyes. Both of us then looked at each other, worried, he then turned his head back to his crewman. 

 

“Lead the way,” The crewman nodded frantically and turned his back from us. Suddenly, Adrian’s left hand wrapped around my right, holding it tight in place. 

 

“Stay behind me, Lenna. Something’s not right” His voice toned down, whispers of ghosts can be heard deep within his voice

 

Hearing him said that made my heart thump unrhythmically, the essence of agitation spread throughout, swallowing me whole. Both of us followed the crewman in a hurry, passing hallways what felt like a second. Adrian kept me close, taking my hand into his grasp as his face remained still and calm. Although, I could tell by the way he’s breathing and the constant blink of his eyes….. He’s shaken…

 

When we got to the lobby, most of the guards were on standby as some figures with grey suits and one in the middle wearing  a striped light grey shirt with suspenders standing just a few feet from the opened doors of the mansion. The air became stiff, eyes glaring, breaths stopped, the atmosphere slithering around my neck until I couldn’t let out air. All of our crewmen were pointing guns and weapons at them, locking them on hold.

 

Seeing a situation like this, it could be one thing… They’re from another Mafia Family, not from our territory. But how? How did they pass the gates? There were supposed to be some men guarding the entrance. I put on my best strong front, although deep inside, I could hear myself crumbling down in fear. 

 

As I tried to take a peek, Adrian pulled my wrist and set me behind his body. Covering my whole body with his figure, “Stay here, Lenny” He whispered, not glancing back, he just kept looking forward without hesitation. But I managed to sneak my eye to the side and saw as the man leading them began to step into the inside of the lobby.

             

“Well, well, gentlemen, what a warm and pleasant welcome you gave us on this wonderful night. It was satisfying to see those guards drop like flies when we give them our fists” 

 

The short man with short straight bright blonde hair spread his arms wide with a wide smile, his voice is surprisingly uplifting and relaxed. He looked like he’s still an adolescent, especially with his height. Letting out a dramatic sigh, he glanced around the room with delight as our crew tensed their aim at him.

 

“Sorry for the sudden interruption that I’m bringing in to this sumptuous gathering.” He put his hands together as he put his hand together, drumming each finger in sync.

 

His eyes traveled all around the room like a scanning machine, and then his gaze met mine. Those Vermillion Red eyes of his shot daggers to my heart, quaking it without skipping a second. As he locked his gaze into me, his lips turned into a spine-tingling grin, as if he had found his prey.

 

As he took another step closer, a gunshot was fired, barely missing his feet, smokes, and traces of gunpowder made into a circular hole on the carpet. When I looked over, that gunshot came from one of dad’s crewmen. As it became clear that dad’s and Adrian’s crew were about to continue to make moves, Adrian raised his left palm up to stop the movements from happening.

 

“You have no right to be here, this is the Esmond residence and the main base of the South rulers. What are a bunch of Northern dwellers doing here appearing out of the blue?” Adrian spoke up, stepping up afar from the man, still shielding me behind him. His hands deep into the pockets of his coat, while the man chuckled in satisfaction 

 

“Northern dwellers?” I repeated with a low voice.

 

“Owh, was it that obvious? Then for correctly guessing where we came from, we too shall give the answers to your question.” The man stretched out his right hand towards Adrian, more specifically….. In my direction…

 

“We have come here to escort the fair maiden, Miss Lenna to the San Angela Docks.” He gave me a smirk as his eyes stared into mine. A round of murmurs began to fill the room, it left them to up their guard and aim towards the man. Adrian stood still and let out an inaudible sigh.

 

“And from whose command? As you know we aren’t taking orders from the likes of you, only Don Roderick’s words are ours to make true. You're nobody to us, what did the Northern rulers think to send in a child to do their deeds?” With Adrian’s words, his own crew nodded all at the same time along with my dad’s crew.

 

“HOW RUDE! I’M TWENTY YEARS OLD AS YOU KNOW!! AND I’M NOT A FUCKIN KID!!” The man yelled at us with his posture hissing like a cat when it’s angry, annoyed by Adrian’s claim

 

“Either way, turn back and leave this place. We have no interest in letting just any Mafia Family in our territory.”

 

Adrian let his hands out from his pockets when I glanced at his left hand, it began to slither into the inner of his coat. A click can be heard from his hand, I moved to stand beside him to see the clear picture. As if he’s opening something hidden from all of our eyes.

 

“Well, because you don’t know me yet, I might as well introduce myself to you all and the lady in the waiting.” He smiled and cleared his throat.

 

“My name is Blanche Mordecai, and as of my title,"

 

He paused for a second while smirking with a confident posture

 

"I’m one of the Caporeigmes of the Flammia Family.”

2