Chapter 7: L’accordo
51 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“This is it,” I said to myself as I looked at the reflection on my mirror. I was left staring at the dress enveloping my body just right. Wondering if the reflection I saw is the real me and not just some illusion of some sort.

 

An elegant Aruba Blue Mermaid dress with an illusion neckline and dropped shoulder sleeves. Brandished by the softest transparent silk cloth at the bottom folds. It was a gift from Al on my twentieth birthday a few months ago. He always said that shades of blue always fit me best ever since we were teens. Kalem secretly told me that it took a long time for Al to even decide on which dress he would give to me. Even though he had given me gifts more than I could have imagined, he had always added one that was special each on my birthday

 

So for his sake, I’m willing to wear a dress like this. I’m not the type of person who likes to go all-out, or even wear dresses. Wearing my usual denim jumper is an exception, tho, I love it too much to say no to it. Please be okay, Al….. Your “lil sis” is going to be there soon enough… don’t die on me just yet, idiot….

 

“And here’s the last touch, Lady Lenna” A maid called out from behind.

 

In her hand, lies a hair clip in a shape of a White Lily flower. The one that mom gave me back when I was still five. After all these years, the edges of the petals are tarnished with scratches, but the Pearl white coating has not been damaged. I took it from the maid’s hand as she took a few steps back. I began to remember the memories me and mom had together, staring down at the hair clip with a heavy heart. 

 

I swiped the left side of my hair where my usual turquoise hair clip was and attached the floral one on my hair. A flow of confidence flowed through my body, feeling as if the hair clip gave me the strength I needed. I turned with my head tall, positioning myself not to lose balance from the high heels I’m wearing.

 

“Everything’s ready, let’s go”

 

Walking out of my bedroom, I felt mixed feelings on what I was about to face. Why was I so willingly to obey them? Even though Kalem was the one who sided with my dad to keep me out of these, as well as Alphonse. But why the sudden change of emotion? I don’t usually see dad all that expressive while handling these kinds of business. Clicks of my heel echoed throughout the hallway as I reached the end of it. Standing on the high podium with slicks of nervous sweats rolling down the sides of my neck

 

I looked down on all of the men below the stairs, some of their faces were enchanted by my appearance, some from the opposing crew even made some perverted faces. It was so disgusting, I just wanted to puke right there. I stood there with my hands beside my hips, walking down as two maids trailed behind me. It felt weird to wear something slightly revealing on the top side. I’m just glad that the bottom part is all covered up.

 

“As expected nonetheless, patched up real quick for a girl.” The satisfied Capo spoke up, I began descending the stairs to where Adrian was standing along with Kalem.

 

It seems like they were talking about something serious when both of them averted their eyes to me. I can see a light pink blush dusted on Adrian’s cheeks, he offered his hand out to me as I got close to the bottom of the floor. I took his hand and walked closer to them.

 

“You look magnificent, Lenny” he complimented while whispering next to my ear.

 

“Thanks.... Adrian.”

 

“I couldn’t help but notice, even though the situation isn’t fit for me to say that. I'm sorry..” 

 

"No, it's fine, don't feel bad about it"

 

His words did lift my heart a bit, but it wasn’t enough to completely diminish the mixed feelings deep inside me.

 

“Did they do anything to you while I was changing?” I asked Adrian.

 

“Fortunately, no. Only taunts and rather imprudent jokes were made. They’re trying to assert their control over us, despite their relations to us.” He replied with a whisper

 

“Lenna” 

 

Kalem quickly called out to me with a whisper, pulling me closer to his side in a hurry. Kalem gave me a quick hug before he pulled himself away from my body. He looked at me with grateful gazes and a guilt-tripping look on his face. He scanned all over my face and sighed lightly

 

“Thank heavens, you’re alright. Did anything happen before I got here?” Still in whispers, his tone contained cracks and fright. I shook my head in response

 

“God, Kalem. What did they do to dad? Or Alphonse? What happened?” 

 

“About that, I can explain everything later.”

 

A clap silenced the three of us in the lobby, we turned to look at Blanche groaning as he put his hands on the side of his hips.

 

“Now then, let’s get going, people. The Don doesn’t want to wait anymore setbacks to the scheduled meeting.” He walked over to me with a smile.

 

Adrian and Kalem suddenly became alerted by his approach and began to block his path.

 

“We will go only under one condition” Kalem commented.

 

“Ughh, you Esmonds are such petty people. WHAT conditions?” He complained with his arms crossed.

 

“She will take off with me and him in one car. Otherwise, we won’t allow it. Having her being handled by strangers is the least that Don Roderick wants” Kalem pointed out to Adrian and lifted up his glasses right in front of the short Capo.

 

“Why should I care for your Don’s satisfaction? But again, if it will make you move your asses, then I suppose we can work this out.” He grunted, glancing over his crew and then back to us.

 

“The drivers of your car will be from my side, take it or leave it.”

 

“Gladly, if we would also take a few men from my crew to accompany us in separate cars”

 

“Trying to overturn us? Some sort of hit and run you’re planning?” Blanche threatened and glared at Kalem with beastly gazes.

 

“I assure you such things will not happen, it’s only appropriate if one of the most important members of this family is well-guarded from harm.” Kalem argued back.

 

The speechless Capo let out a click from his mouth.

 

“You have a deal” 

 

Part of me was glad that I got to be with Kalem and Adrian on this journey. It’s much better than being surrounded by those perverted crew of his eyeing all over me. I would just shoot myself rather than being treated like that.

 

“Hurry up, or you will make the Don mad if we’re too late” Blanche rotated his body around and started to walk towards the doors.

 

All of us were silent, Kalem gazing at our crewmen and jerked his head to signal his command. While Adrian stood beside me, his eyes constantly glancing back and forth from me and Kalem. 

 

“That would give us some space to talk at least, let’s get going, you two” Kalem suddenly talked.

 

Me and Adrian looked at each other with worrisome eyes and turned our eyes towards my foster brother.

 

“Yeah, let’s not keep dad waiting” 

 

With Kalem leading us, trailed by some of our crewmen behind me and Adrian. The car assigned to us was pretty similar to the ones that our crew uses, with my dad’s being the unique one. I could feel the tension and glares between my dad’s crew and the Flammia family’s henchmen. Giving off a vibe that this was two separate wolf packs trying to resolve things by starting a fight.

 

As soon as I, Adrian, and Kalem got into the back seat of the car I could hear the buzzes of commands from walkie-talkies that the drivers had in the front seats. The engines of the car started to geared up and took off. The inside of the car was similar to the one that dad used, although the faint stench of smoke can be sniffed from the air.

 

With me and Adrian sat side by side while Kalem sat in front of us, with the seats facing towards one another. Kalem took a look at our surroundings and started to clear his throat. The passing street lights were the only sources that would let us see each other’s faces. Me and Adrian's posture was pretty much stiff until Kalem started to let out a hum.

 

“Seems like we’re in the clear,” Kalem said, his left hand placed near the seatbelt stand on the leather cushion.

 

“Is dad safe? How’s Al?”

 

“He's alright, but for Alphonse, I couldn’t say for sure.”

 

“Why not?” I asked, still puzzled about the whole thing

 

“They were keeping him out of our sights, and the only reason that family would let us ever see him again is that you were to come with us to the docks.” Kalem replied with his brows frowning deeply on top of his eyes.

 

“What you’re trying to say is that he was used along with Lenna and turned into pawns to lure Don Roderick into changing his mind?” Adrian guessed, his hand covering his mouth and chin as his body leaned forward.

 

“That is correct, however, what’s troubling me is...” 

 

He paused for a moment, his eyes shifted left and right in a flash for a second. 

 

“If they want to only target Alphonse and gain ransom from Don Roderick, why involve bringing Lenna in the first place? Why does the opposing Don want Lenna to be present?” Kalem added

 

“Were they trying to corner us with scandals? It could be that some of their associates are hidden amongst us, gaining info as we exchange them. Could they be plotting some sort of assassination? Some life for life trade? Or an ambush to finish the South rulers?”

 

“It may seem like that, but they could have just threatened to snipe us from far away to finish the job. It would also seem rather odd to see them wanting to settle this peacefully. It’s only logical they have something up their sleeves to take advantage of our current situation”

 

Words that Kalem just said made shivers run down my spine and arms. To think that they could take it that far is just…. scary..

 

“But for what reason do they have to target Al? What did he do to upset them so bad that he was hunted down?” I added, making Kalem’s brows shriveled down even more

 

“I don’t know….. those people only specifically said to bring you in or blood will be shed. So, you see, it wasn't like Roderick had other choices, if you aren’t brought there, Alphonse’s life may instantly be taken. ”

 

His words made me gulp hard as my head started to spin in circles.

 

“But I’m sure that they’re still keeping him alive, for the sake of this going to their plans. We just have to hope that whatever games that Don is trying to play at, it will end up by us taking Alphonse back alive.”

 

“I agree, it’s best for us to take this in a neutral way. If not, it will cause an uproar between the two families and something we don’t want, to be triggered.” All of us nodded at Adrian’s words.

 

Kalem POV

 

I looked at both Adrian and Lenna with upset eyes, I have to keep my cool so that they won’t panic. What happened earlier seemed too good to be a mere coincidence, seeing his face again after all these years. Lenna and Alphonse were still too young at that time to even recognize this man. Things can get worse, knowing how he acts from all those years ago. Along with the fact that me and Roderick have history with him….

 

Earlier…

 

You… out of all people” Roderick hissed, clenching his jaws

 

All of us were in the hangar of the docks, dim ceiling lights swinging so delicately above us. A man deemed as the head of the Flammia family stepped towards us with the taps of his canes and shoes following him. The wicked smile he gave us as he’s greeting us like old friends made my spines shiver. 

 

“Corleone...”

2