Chapter 8 – Home No More
202 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Matthew stood on top of a tall mountain, overlooking a large area of land as far as the eye can see. 

"Bastards, those vultures didn't take long indeed. I wonder who it is" he said, seeing a grand mansion the Asher Duchy bring rebuilt by someone else. 

As approached his old family estate after hours of walking, it was mid afternoon as several lumberjacks approached with wagons of lumber pulled by bulls. 

"Oi! Wildman! Out of the way!" a lumberjack yelled at Matthew who blocked part of the road. 

Matthew indeed looked like a wild man. He wore the silver bearskin pelt as his clothes and shoes, and his long hair was frazzled and looked wild. 

"Sorry sir. Who is the owner of the house?" Matthew asked. 

"This house is built by Viscount Grisham. He was awarded this land after the house of Asher was no more" the lumberjack said. 

"No more? Why no more? I thought the household of Duke Asher was a family honored by his Majesty the King?" Matthew asked. 

"Don't you know? After Duke Asher's death, it was found that his son... Matthew Asher plotted treason and was about to revolt against the King" the lumberjack said

"Plot treason? Wasn't he a cripple, and I think was only a teenager?" Matthew asked

"I don't know the details. I'm only a commoner. I only heard he called himself the Chosen one, demonstrated power beyond most mages. So maybe he got cocky and decided to conquer the country" the lumberjack shrugged and guided the wagon into the land. 

"Viscount Vincent Grisham. He was one of my father's most trusted subordinates. I wonder if he'll help me." Matthew thought to himself. 

Since the house was only at the beginning stages of being built, Matthew instead walked towards the land where he remembered Viscount Grisham's house was, which was quite a distance away. 

It was late evening by the time he arrived at the Viscount's mansion. He walked up to the door and knocked. It was answered by a serious looking butler.

"Can I help you?" the butler said politely

"Can you tell Viscount Grisham that his godson Matthew is here to see him" Matthew said eagerly. 

"Please wait here sir" the butler said. 

He waited for a while before the butler returned 

'Follow me sir" the butler said, leading him to the study. 

It was a grand looking study, with books lining the walls and a fireplace blazing. 

A tall man stood next to the window, holding a glass of wine. 

The man turned and looked at Matthew and smiled

"Matthew! You're alive! And you're recovered! I thought everyone in the Asher house had disappeared" Duke Grisham said. 

"They tried to murder me Uncle Vincent. Assassins broke into the house one night and killed everyone and they kidnapped me and tried to kill me" Matthew said. 

"It's a miracle you're alive Matthew. I can't say how surprised I am to see you" Viscount Grisham said and hugged him. 

Matthew hugged him back. Finally, he found someone who can help him. 

Suddenly, he felt a sharp sensation in his back, then another, then another. 

"You shouldn't have come back. If you laid low, you might at least have survived. But now, we can finally tie up all the loose ends" Viscount Grisham grinned as Matthew saw the bloody knife in his hand. 

Then he mercilessly put the knife to Matthew's throat and sliced his throat open, causing blood to spurt everywhere. 

"Why??" Matthew wanted to say, but all he could do is gurgle blood as he looked at Viscount Grisham

A man in black suddenly appeared out of the shadows. His clothes were all black, even wearing a black cloak and black mask completely hiding his face

"Shadow One, get rid of him. And punish those bandits. They can't even do a simple job like this" Viscount Grisham said. 

Matthew heard everything, but he pretended to be dying. He felt no real pain, and knew he could recover from this. But he let the black clothed man pick his body up and disappeared with him. 

--

Not far away, in pig farm owned by the Viscount, the man in black stood on the a platform as the pigs in the pen below swarmed towards the platform. 

"Here piggy piggy. Today you'll feed well" the man in black said and prepared to throw Matthew in. 

Suddenly, Matthew reached down and held his head. With one movement with his superhuman strength, he twisted the man's head completely around with a loud cracking sound. 

The man collapsed and Matthew stood up. He removed the man's clothes.

He was a middle age man, still very fit looking. But Matthew didn't recognize his face.

"Black leather boots, gloves, pants and shirt, black mask and a black cloak. Two daggers and a shortsword. He must be the Viscount's spy and assassin." thought Matthew as he realized the clothes fit him will. He even found a small purse filled with coins. 

The pigs made grunting noise below the platform, awaiting their meal. 

"You won't go hungry tonight" Matthew said as he picked up the man with one hand and threw him below. 

The body was instantly swarmed by the pigs and loud crunching sounds could be heard as the pigs tore him apart. 

Putting on the man's clothes and gear, he walked out of the smelly farm.

"I better stay hidden. I shouldn't use my old name any more. Perhaps I should go to the capital and enroll in the Royal Academy and build myself up from there". 

The Royal Academy was a place for the most talented kids who were gifted at magic or in fighting aura. Previously in his younger days, he was already offered a position due to his talent, but he wanted to wait till 13 years, where most kids would normally join. 

He's now 14, but it wasn't too late yet. The Royal Academy was also a place for him to make a name for himself, and perhaps even contribute to the country. This way, he could perhaps regain his family's reputation and name. 

"But first, vengeance" Matthew said as he walked towards the Viscount's mansion. 

3