Journal Chapter Lucia; 1/5
379 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A woman sat in-front of a Camera that she had just set up inside of her tent within Main Landing Zone 1 or MLZ 1.

She wore something unfit for a battlefield, as she had something really casual wore, shoes for hiking with pantyhose with shorts that only went to her knees. Leaving her lower half she had a T-shirt on and a lab coat over top, leaving that her pale skin with some tanned areas around her hands, neck and collar bone.

Although within view of her Camera was three other items, One of a camouflaged lab coat that had been worn out from many years... Two was a vest of Nano-woven body armor it is only half as good as the armor that the soldiers wore but it was the best any civilian could expect. Last but not least was her sidearm the Browning HP Mk23, just like their predecessors the point was to be a deadly as a rifle but be the size of a pistol.

"Entry 1 of the Arcadian campaign. Entry Title; Arcadian's Abnormal Readings." Her voice was smooth, although she looks older IE someone in their late 30s or early 40s she was really 25... but due to the nature of her work it isn't wrong to say you age fast in a stressful environment. 

"My name is Lucia Lania, I have just landed here about a day ago and had my chat with the Commandant. The port that will allow my mobile tab be landed will take another week and half... but none the less... *COUGH*" She gave a fake cough, "Me and my assistant McMarian were sent ahead of the rest of us, officially the campaign started a week ago but during that time the ships above us detected abnormal readings, of an unknown form of Radiation as it is even within our camp, but has been deemed but the ships above alongside what I have as..."

She pauses.

"I am unsure myself, but it doesn't seem to do anything... it has merged with the background Radiation but can still be detected as a sperate entity... so the lead Science Officer aboard the 'TFS Explanation'... err silly name, anyway... I just wanted to make this before we head out, McMarian equipment has been going insane and he has only managed to get it under control.

But the Camp Commandant wants the pair of us to go on a petrol area, we have been assured that the area is already clear of enemy forces but he wants us to check where exactly is this Radiation is, or in his words, 'You and your little science boy there are going to find the fuck out what is the sources,' end quote..." She let out a sigh.

"End of entry, we have to go soon." She says as she checked her watch.

 I ended the Camera recording...

"Fucken hell." She bitched and changed. She took of her lab coat and put on her body armor and then throw on her camo lab coat... "Why the fuck do I have to dress like this? Why can't I have anything else but no I have to be dressed for the job I have and not the one I'm assigned." She kept going for the next few minutes as she secured her she and tied her holster to her hip.

She left her tent and headed to the one next to it and found assistant finishing strapping his "Alpha-Gamma Radiation scanner" Fuck she hates the names that people made up.

"I'm ready Lucia, fuck sake." He said then fucked up with the last strap...

I sigh and help him with the last one, "Here you go."

"Do you know who is helping us?" He asked me.

"No idea, since I'm a Civvy I can't know bla bla. Look we dealt with them enough." She hated the regulations, she was a soldier...

"Hehe, I hear that." 

"You hear what?" A burly man entered McMarian's tent, he was in full dress he had camo from head to toe, he had his M7 Carbine was slung over his shoulder the only oddity was this Units prerogative to never wear helmets but instead they wore slouch hats, with feather meaning ranks and this guy had three feather so a Sergeant was he...

"Just BS about us being not in the military." I responded.

"Fair, Now if you two are down please follow me."

We followed the Sergeant and after some minutes he presented his Section and the plus one.

The Section was normal, seven riflemen including our SGT, then there is two for the Saw Gunner and her assistant, leaving the tenth the squad medic but what was odd was the two other...

"Whos her?" I asked pointing at the odd one, she had white feathers which I had no idea meant.

"Her my dear, Civvy is First Sergeant of the First Company." He tell me with a shit eating grin...

"So-Sorry." I rush to say.

She from what I could tell was born on Terra proper and not the Orbital Habitation blocks... great, She was wearing the same normal shit but she was most defiantly no part of the Australian or New Zealander... I wasn't sure but out side of her head I couldn't see any skin... lucky bastards with they jumpsuits... Her amber eyes bowered into me but I stared back, we didn't move for a full minute. 

"Ha your no white dove? Your already bloodied. No?" Her voice was comforting, a Veteran to a Veteran form...

White dove... a Civvy that is in a role where they have to fight... funny.

"He's the white dove, me no... I'm not happy to say it but it was the Titan Campaign." My face turns down cast remembering those days... all my dead brother and sisters and for what? Just to fight again...

"Wait where?" She asks me her tone was serious.

"Anica." Her face turned and she raised her weapon against me, "Don't bother, I'm the only one left." I looked straight at her I was a dead woman walking it all depended who did it.

"What Unit!?"

I gave a sigh... why did there have to be a Veteran of that war here...

"I served with..." I paused, "The Three Hundred-eighty-second fourth battalion or known as the 'Titan's Heroes' And let me guess you was apart of that First Company of that SAG? That Company that got it's ass destroyed by an ambush that lead to over 95 percent of the unit killed?" I continued and asked her.

"STAND DOWN!" The SGT in the squad that was going to be leading us ordered her and me, "What is your malfunction?" He address her.

"This bitch was apart of the Unit that ambushed the Company I was in."

He looked at me and I nodded my head, and spoke, "Before you say anything the Commandant already knows who I am, but yes... I guess. Listen here the Federation Military could care less where the bodies come from as long as the bodies come. So yes, I am a is you would call me a 'terrorist'." She gave air quotes for terrorist, "But no I was fighting for my planet after the Federation tried to draft over a few hundred thousand of us for a clean up operation in god knows where, so yes. I was one of the many that after being mustered and trained we rebelled.

"But yes, I was there but only as a Combat Medic, and funny my role was to ensure that you had no survivors so those we found were given a quick death... and the people supported us fully and they knew what we had done. But that was over when we surrendered after the reginal capital of Anica fell... sadly they still wanted us so we got thrown in Civvy roles but are still sent us to die... but that is all I am at liberty to say since none of you are Senior Officers, Sorry." I gave her and the rest a mocking smile, well fuck my secret is out...

"So what now? I could really use an actual rifle not this side piece." I asked and said to the SGT.

He gives me a look laughs, "Well then... that is interesting. I thought you had been off but I couldn't tell. As far as I knew that you weren't any White Dove from what command said, and they also said you would bitch about you weapon." He turned to his Squadmates. "You got the spares?"

"Yep Serge." He leans over and it was only then that I had noticed that he had two rifles with him along with a tactical rig I was alto familiar with, "He you go miss Death." He tells me as he tosses both the Rifle and the rig.

The rig is the same one that those from Titan are equipped with it was just a chest rig but it was fully stocked, the rifle was the standard M7 Carbine. Quick weapons check I smiled.

We took a few seconds longer for me to put my rig on but no issue.

"Ready, also Miss Death belongs to another who died."

My assistant was confused, he knew I was on Titan as a non-combatant but Combat Medics love that gray area. Then again he may have thought I was fighting for the Federation.

The Squad minus the First Company Sergeant liked that they had another Veteran from that hellish fighting but did keep an eye on me, said Titan Campaign was only seven years ago. And this is the culture I am in all tents of the word a traitor and yet? Nope I can get armed by the same unit I fought seven years ago whatever. 

"Let's get moving." The Squad leader says to us and we get moving.

We walked for a few hours and during that the reason why the First Sarge chick was here was due to her squad had been the one to clear the place.

I kept quiet and so did McMarian, rule one when working along side soldiers? Shut the fuck up and do your job. And that is what we did.

Beep. Beep.

"Hold it." McMarian called, "I picking up the area ahead is dense then what is at the camp."

The Squad move aside for him and I and we did a more scans, while this maybe a backpack device it could tell you shit.

Looking at the screen on his backpack, there was a few bars in very obvious colors so that at a glaze anyone could tell what it says, "Right, I'm only getting the two greens."

"And that means Traitor?" The First Sarge asks me with a snarl.

"One shade of green is the background radiation and the other is a deeper green for the whatever is inside the camp, Maam." I respond and hold my emotions.

Beep. Bop.

Looking again it was saying that the detailed scan showed that we are good. I give the Squad leader a thumbs up and we start moving again but this time with us ahead just incase it changes to something deadly...

Beep. Beep.

"Did you set it again?" I asked, and what I had asked was that he change the sensitivity so that it will pick up only the next big change.

"No I set it."

BEEP. Beep.

"Hold it." I order and move next to him.

The damn thing is loosing it's mind...

"What it say?" He asked me as he waved both the general and detailed scanner around.

I noticed it slightly, "Stop moving, Gamma is going up and down every time you move it."

McMarian stops moving both arms.

"You come here," I call over one of the Squaddies, who with a nod from the Squad Leader moved next to me, "See that." I point at the red bar on the device. He nods, "Good now tell us when you lose it."

And for the next few minutes we kept finding that every time we got it, it would move and this patch of Gamma radiation we were picking up was now moving around us.

"What happening?" "Doesn't gamma rays kill us?"

I ignored the Squaddies chatting useless things... At one point they started following the aim of McMarian...

"What is happening?" I bitch...

"Lucia?"

"Yes?" I snap up looking at McMarian right arm and the detailed scanner looking right at my face... "Okay what?"

"Well while you were thinking the guy says that it is something right in-front of your face."

I feel the wind being pulled to a point near my face I try to roll back but just before we were sent flying back from a god knows gust of winds and the device on McMarian's back was going nuts.

The Squaddies still standing opened fired and all directions not knowing what the fuck was happening.

I collected myself and moved over to McMarian and the Squaddie with him.

"All green?" I asked without realizing it I had returned to 'Combat Speak'.

"No left arm fucked." The Squaddie tells me as he was crushed by my assistant and who was fine he had a comfy soldier as a pillow.

 After pulling McMarian off the man... yep the man was done. His humorous bone was broken and I could see the bone.

"Medic! Open break!" I shout at the Squad medic.

I move to my assistant and started moving the scanners around, "That way!" I point at the direction where the scanner was loosing it's mind more then anywhere else.

The Squad started firing the way I was pointing obliterating tree branches as they went and long with a few trees that were to weak for the combined firepower of a bunch of pissed off SAGs.

"Hold fire!" The Squad leader shouts and the fire subsides and everyone starts setting up a perimeter.

"Command come in?" One of the Squaddie called over trying to get anyone but there was no one, "Sir I've lost COMMs."

"Agreed. Sir I've got nothing." The Squad started making similar agreement.

Without any word from command and us haven't been walking in a search pattern we really had no idea where the fuck we were, and our composes were not working whatever just tossed us fucked with all of our equipment...

"Forward, men."

As we walked for a few minutes we found a cave.

"McMarian?"

"Yeah?" I point over at the cave.

When he aims over the device short fused at the moment the detailed looked at it... but what I saw amazed me all bar were going at once that has never happened before...

"Sir."

"Yes?" The Squad leader says pissed he already had shit to do.

"That cave, I have reason to believe that cave is the cause of the radiation that we have been detected."

He looks at me and says, "Well that cave is our only shelter, but it gives me the creeps..."

As we advanced to the entrance I called out, "Punji Sticks, doorway."

"Fuck me... this might be an Arcadian recon point or maybe staging? We have no idea how big... FUCK." The Squad leader was evolving from pissed to furious, "Alright. Everyone ready yourself we are clear it of everything living."

"But sir we have wounded?" The Medic says.

"He and you will stay at the entrance, you too science guy but you." He points at me, "Your coming with us."

I nodded and we started moving with the Squad but I could feel the First Sarge with her white feathers staring me down...

Dear god if your going to shoot me in the back do it when we don't have more shit or enemies...

6