V08 – Chapter 80 Frontlines
470 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***

--- Greater Elies Region, Iruos highway, Kerush City, Havcristen Outskirts ---

September 15th, 2025

 

Legatus Propraetor Pelue Muilk, a leader of the Elies Imperial Army garrison is rushing through a hedgerow and heading to a trench system. All around him he can hear his soldiers yelling, scream, calls for help. He also hears the loud explosions and rattle sounds from the enemy weapons.

Above his head, he hears the strange zooming sound from the enemy artillery.

An explosion happens right next to the trench he is running in. The explosion blasts force him forward, landing in this dirty puddle.

He slowly gets up as his ears ring. Looking ahead, he sees this boy archer laying against the trench wall, with his arm missing. Blood coming out of the holes from his body.

He gets up and heads to his command tent.

The tent is built between three hedgerows, using the landscape as protection and to hide from the Other Worlders flying machines.

When he walks in, he sees many of his junior staff. They all look scared out of their minds on what's happening out there.

Normally he would never accept this kind of weakness out of his troops. He would have beaten the fear out of them. A soldier if the Empire never fears the enemy, never retreat from the enemy, never to accept defeat.

This war has thrown all those traditions out into the mist. While those values might remain strong in Sadera and the other high noble cities, far away from the battlefield, here on the field there is only one rule now. Survive as long as you can.

"Report!" He orders.

"Legatus, first-line has completely been destroyed." One of his junior officers said.

"There flying beasts are destroying us." Another one said.

He walks over to a table where a map of the battlefield. He has seen their flying beasts, seeing two different types. One kind that can hover and snipe out our forces. The other is these high-speed beasts, dropping these strange firebombs and liquid fire.

He saw one of these black looking wing shape beasts zoom right above this one bunker that was engaging the enemy, destroying it with ease. All that was left is fire and smoke.

Another large explosion is heard, shaking the ground slightly.

That is when another soldier rushes in. "Legatus. They just landed a few hundred troops behind our trenches. We’re being split up into groups."

"Damn!" He yells, slamming his fists into the ground.

When Krysist first laid out his defensive strategy, it seemed like it would work, or be more effective that the tradition formations. Early battles showed some decent signs. The Imperial Army and local Knights have inflicted some damage the Other Worlders first wave. Even slowed them down.

These people adopted quickly to their strategy. It is clear they just did not fully understand the equipment these Other Worlders uses.

"Tell the Eighth Legion to move here and counter their landings. How many catapults do we have left?" He asked, looking down at the map.

One of the officers walks over. "From what I understand, four left. But they are in the rear inside bunkers. Doesn't it matter though?"

He understood what the young man said. Most of their catapult and other ballistics could only get one shot before being destroyed. The only advantage the Legion has is the hedgerows they are in. That is forcing the Other Worlders to get in close. Their weapons allow them to engage at far ranges, this helps prevent that advantage.

"Regardless… damn…," Muilk said as his mind progresses the situation.

Looking at the map, he is struggling to find a way to delay the enemy without his army being g wiped out. "What are you planning Krysist. Why are we doing this?"

He then looks up to his staff. "Alright, we can't hold anymore. Give the order to retreat to Havcristen. We will regroup our remaining forces there with Krysist."

"Sir, they will spot our retreat." One man said.

Another one of his staff walks over. "It is like they have eyes everywhere."

"True… tell the cavalry to engage the enemy." He responds, heartbroken. Knowing he just sent thousands of his men to their deaths to save the Legions.

 

***

--- Eastern outskirts of Irios ---

September 16th, 2025

 

“Delta-Six-Seven, this is Bravo Eight-Two-One, you have artillery danger close over…”

As British SAS line up against a hedgerow, getting ready to clear out the other side.

Captain Albert Nelson is leading a mission through the Imperial defenses, hoping to help speed up the clearing operation. The NATO forces in this area of operation is heading to take the city of Irios. The mission is simple, one thing Albert has learn from his operation in Valtris(1) is that the execution will be complicated.

"Bloody hell mate. You think these bastards would just give up by now," Sergeant Connor Reid said.

As the man spoke, an AgustaWestland Apache helicopter slowly flies overhead. Its chain gun firing away at the Imperialist.

The team sergeant rushes up and points to two of the soldiers. They grab a fragmentation grenade and toss them over the hedgerow.

After hearing a short scream of someone dying on the other side. Albert and his team rush around through a gap in the hedgerow.

They see a few soldiers Legionnaires. Four humans, one green orc, and dark elf. In front of them are four British soldiers, three dead and one wounded. There are other British around the trench, pinned. They are trying to reach their compares The Imperials are trying to grab one of their wounded comrades. It looks like the four British soldiers walked into a trap.

“Hey you fuckers!” Albert yells. Once the Imperial soldiers look at them, his men use their C8SFW rifles and kill them all.

Once the SAS cleared the trench, the other British soldiers rush over and start treating the wounded and dead. It is a sigh that while NATO troops are pushing through the Empire lines, there is a cost.

"This is Lieutenant Colonel Harvey to Viking Command, we have engaged a heavy force, trolls, and Ogres. Requesting Polish Armor platoon to my flank."

When the war started, just like other countries the United Kingdom answer the Article Five declaration. At first, that was just it, the UK just doing this part. Unlike most wars were the population is war-weary, this was different. This time it was some war for some corporate greed or just interfering in another country business. This time, it was fighting an alien invasion. Even though the attack only hit the United States, it felt personal.

"Alright, keep moving. We can't let the Marines get ahead of us," Albert said.

A US Marine unit is pushing through the main road. This British unit is covering the right flank. The Imperial Army has made the approach to Havcristen complicated with their trench network. Unlike the battles a around Alnus this tactic has bogged NATO forces because they must clear out the trench/ hedgerow systems.

As the SAS move forward, they can hear jets and bombers flying overhead.

Right before this assault, Lieutenant General Stanford sent a message to everyone. Eleven nations are part of this assault, close to twenty-five thousand troops from NATO, Japan, and Australia.  As usually, the Americans, English, and French are leading the way.

“This is Whisky-Seven, dropping JADAM on a bunker complete. Alpha Company holds up. Dropping in 3…2…1…”

After many intense skirmishes, the SAS break out into the hedgerow they are in, they enter this large section. This strange-looking field of plants, sticking up to the soldier's waists. There is these strange purple with green strips fruit hanging offs them. 

"Move it, people!" Staff Sergeant Calvin Reid shouts.

"Contact!" Corporal Adrian yells, pointing inside the field.

"For a firing line. Chew them up, mates!" Albert orders

Everyone gets in the formation and. It begins open firing. The Imperialist troops that were hiding inside the small field. A few arrows land at the soldier's feet or pass him.

It only takes a few moments for the SAS soldiers to overwhelm the Imperialist unit. The ones in the back begin to flee, heading to the gap in the hedgerow in the back.

"Get the L7A2 and focus it on that opening. Everyone, concentrate fire," Albert orders.

Hearing the order, all the soldiers focus fire and let the Imperialist have it.

The hedgerow to the right of them, they can hear more soldiers fighting. It would be the rest of the platoon engaging the Imperialist forces. Clearing out these farm fields and hedgerows trenches.

"This is Alpha Company of Two-Three-Eight, we have engaged a battery," Adrian said with static over the radio.

Above them they hear another helicopter. This time the French Tiger firing its missiles at some distance target.

Once the field is clear, the soldiers rush through it, going through that opening.

When they get there, Albert looks to the other side. He sees far more Imperialist soldiers bunkered down, firing arrows toward the main road. Inside the bunker, they see this impressively large Oxybeles. A minotaur loads it with a flammable pot and then the humans fire it.

The pot hits a US Marine LAV as the Marines engage a Legion formation, around fifty soldiers. Then they see this large Ogre that broke through this vine wall and begins charging towards the US Marines position.

"Get in the fight mates," Albert said as his troops break from their position.

All the British soldiers clear out the trench that is close to them, only taking a moment to do say.

"This is Captain Franklin, company size Imperial company in sector eight. Requesting close air support"

Now using the trench as cover, they begin firing at the Ogre and bunker.

The combined fire from both the British and US Marine soldiers seem to confuse the Ogre.

A Marine Personal Carrier follows up from behind the LAV and moves up and begins firing it M2 Browning .50 caliber machinegun at the Ogre.

Right above this A-10 flies quickly pass them, firing its minigun at some distant target.

Before the Ogre is torn apart from the .50 caliber fire, it tosses its giant mace weapon at the MPC. The mace rams right into the MPC, leaving a small dent in it. However, the mace shatters into many pieces, hitting a few of the Marines.

Albert notices that and then looks to his soldiers. "Alright mates, the yanks need help. You five stay here and suppress on that bunker. Everyone else with me."

The soldiers get out of the trench and rush over to the American Marines. As they run, they heard the loud thump of the Ogre landing on the ground dead.

Once they arrive, Albert moves his men around to help cover fire. He gets his medic Corporal Julian Barrett to start helping treat the wounded.

Albert looks and sees this one Marine with this large wooden piece that was part of the mace in his leg. Another Marine laying on the ground with half a dozen pieces of metal and wood shrapnel. Another Marine laying on the ground with what seems like the metal piece of the mace hit him right in the back.

"What can I do?" Albert asked.

The Marine that is trying to reorganize his healthy troops looks to him. "Need cover. LAV inbound. We need to get these wounded out of here."

"That one looks really bad. Let's gather… Fuck!" Albert suddenly yells as an arrow bounces off his helmet. He turns around and fires his C8SFW rifle at an Imperialist soldier.

As the Imperialist swordsman falls into the mud, this Marine LAV-25 drives up to pass the damage MPC. It passes the MPC and drives into the small field. He then stops, acting as a shield so the medics can help the wounded in safety.

Albert watches the turret turns its M242 Bushmaster 25mm chain gun to the well-fortified bunker.

The Empire soldiers inside fire everything they have; all the arrows just being deflected off the LAV armor. Their Oxybeles fires this long wooden spear with a metal tip at the LAV. Once it hits it snaps in half and bounces off.

Albert looks out and sees all the Imperialist soldiers inside the bunker. They just stop and stare at the LAV, seeing that nothing they did seems to be doing a damn thing.

Right then the LAV opens fire, shredding the bunker apart.

 

---

 

Right now, a US Air Force Lockheed AC-130J Ghostrider gunship flies high above, sniping targets of interest as it circles the battlefield.

"Do you see that?" Jackson asked.

"Yes, I do, that is a big sucker," Ashley responds.

"I think that is an Ogre. They eat men alive." Jackson said, chuckling.

"Only men? I feel left out." Ashley said laughing.

"You are more than welcome to go down there. Permission to fire the main cannon?" Jackson asked.

"Ha, I am fine up here. And yes, fire main cannon." Ashley responds.

Jackson investigates his computer sights. He sees this giant Ogre moving around, getting ready to attack NATO forces down there. He fires the main weapon, the M102 howitzer. The shell flies and then lands right on the Ogre, destroying it.

"Ha, target destroyed," Jackson said.

"Target destroyed confirmed. Nice shot." Ashley responds. "I just got new targets. F-35 are transmitting the data now." There is a short delay. "Alright, the first target is a Trebuchet inside a bunker. It is currently throwing these firebombs at some 10th Mountain boys."

"Roger that. Permission to use GBU-44/B Viper Strike munitions?" Jackson asked.

"Permission granted, be advised, you only have two left. Make them count." Ashley responds.

"Roger. Firing missiles." Jackson said.

He confirms the target and then fires a Viper Strike missile. The missile adjusts itself and hits the Trebuchet bunker. A cloud of smoke can be seen from the enemy bunker.

"Target hit," Jackson said.

"Confirmed. Uploading next… standby. New orders, the Imperialists are doing a mass cavalry charge. All available air assists are to redirect and engage cavalry before they hit our lines." Ashley said.

"Roger that, switching to Mk44 Bushmaster II. Line me up." Jackson said.

 

--- Irous Highway, western outskirts of Irios ---

 

Colonel Shunya Kengun of the Japan Self-Defense Forces moves along his lines. He gets his Type 10 main battle tank and Type 89 IFV into position for the incoming cavalry counterattack.

"Alright, everyone. Hold the position and pick your targets. Here they come." Colonel Shunya Kengun yells as he walks around.

His responsibility is to clear the left flank so Colonel Robert 1st Cavalry Division unit can storm the Kerush Village.

Kerush is a key town on the Irous Highway that leads directly to Havcristen, Elies regional capital. Lieutenant General Stanford wants to turn Kerush into a staging area and command post for the invasion of the city.

The reaper and predator drones above spotted incoming Imperialist cavalry. About four thousand horses and two thousand other mix races of some kind that move like horses. It seems like a last-ditch effort to push NATO forces back, to buy time.

"Sir, command on the horn." One of his radiomen said.

He walks over and grabs the radio. "This is Colonel Shunya Kengun."

"Colonel, you have one thousand and four hundred coming to your direction. We are redirecting Colonel Robert's unit to conduct a counterattack on their attack. Hold your position."

"Roger that. What air-assist do I have?" Colonel Shunya Kengun asked.

"We are directing an AC-130 gunship to cover you. Three Apaches and an artillery company from the 1st Cav are inbound. If you need more, just ask, we have B1 Lancers above waiting to strike."

"Roger that. That should be enough." Colonel Shunya Kengun responds and hangs up.

He rushes up to the front line. All around him he sees his troops.

This is the first war Japan has fought since World War Two. There are many reasons why Japan decided to aid the Americans in this war. While many people in his country did not agree that the country should leave its pacifism ways, many saws this to help for example the military. To get it ready for a possible war against China.

If the United States is gearing up to defend Japan in the new Cold War against China, many believed that Japan needs to pull its weight.

After nearly eighty years without fighting a war, the government saw this as the best chance to gain some much-needed experience. More important, to deepen the ties between the relationship with the US. Many believe the US-Japan relations as the new 'Special Relationship', like the 'US-UK' one.

Looking out he sees the dust of the incoming cavalry. Normally this would not be an issue because our weapons would be able to kill them at long range before they could even get close. These hedgerows and fields are limiting the range advantage.

He looks up and sees this rain of Mk44 Bushmaster II 30mm fire raining down from the sky. The rounds destroying many of the enemy units.

While these hedgerows are preventing to use their range advantage, that does not affect their air power. It helps NATO air assist as it forces the Empire forces into groups, making it more efficient to kill them in groups.

As he stands by his men, he can hear the zooming sound of American M777 howitzer shells fly over his troop's position. The shells land right into the incoming cavalry positions. The fire support continues as the artillery company maintains its rate of fire.

Watching as the Imperialist forces getting slaughtered, he just cannot believe how many they can kill. It almost seems too easy, more like a video game than an actual war. He knows that is a dangerous mindset to have.

"Fire!" Colonel Shunya Kengun orders.

All the infantry and the Type 89 IFV and Type 10 main battle tank and everything else that can shoot opens fire. A hail of bullets rain into the Imperialist forces.

Horses, men, monsters, and everything else just falls flat into the ground.

Above he sees the three Apaches hovering over. They get into a half-circle formation and then fire their Hydra 70 70 mm rockets. A stream of dozens of rockets ram in the incoming formations.

It would not take long before the thousand Imperialist attack ends. Bodies everywhere with screams from wounded, begging for help.

"Alright, clean up. The Americans will be coming soon."

 

 

Reference:

------------------------------------------------

(1)Chapter 26

 

Discord: https://discord.gg/xhNTgUYUMm

8