V02 – Chapter 17 Siege of Italica RM
925 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***

--- Fort Alnus, Alnus Command ---

May 9th, 2025

 

A few hours later at the Command Center of Fort Alnus of the NATO Expeditionary Force.

Lieutenant General Stanford is sitting in his chair that is in his staff meeting room.

He is not alone, there being three other officers in this meeting, Colonel Thomas Anderson of the 101st Airborne, and Colonel Harold Kurt of the 1st Cavalry. They oversee their respected rapid response forces. The other is Colonel John Yang, the head of the Ranger Vanguard teams.

The man he wants is Kurt's sister brigade, Colonel Robert from the 1st Cav but Robert forces are busy engaging the enemy to the west. Robert is an aggressive but cool-headed commander, and he can trust him to resolve the situation and make a message. Recalling him is not possible though.

That is not to say the officers here are not up to the task, but this mission has some urgency.

Anderson is the head of our airborne forces, all units from the 101st Air Assault Division. He can currently field a full infantry company and close air support with his helicopters wherever our field teams need it. He is a level head Colonel, prefers seeing the big picture, and is careful to use his forces.

Kurt from the 1st Cavalry Division on the other hand has been itching to get into the fight. His aggressiveness is a good thing but in this unknown alien world, it also could become a curse. The current strategy is to wage a limited scale war, focusing our attacks.

Yang was part of the second wave during the Battle of Aluns Hill(1), his Rangers helped achieve the great success in taking the hill. It was his idea to divide his Rangers into recon teams and begin exploring this world. Besides sending basic soldiers out there, have highly trained soldiers that can adapt to 'any' situation.

"As you all already know, we got an SOS from Vanguard-7. Their mission is in the memo that was sent out, read it if you have not. The basic point is that they say they are under siege at the city called Italica and are requesting support," he explains.

"What is the full situation there?" Kurt asked.

"Lieutenant," he said.

Sitting behind Yang is Vanguard-7 Logistical Officer First Lieutenant Sarah Rose. She stands up and walks up to the desk.

"At 1833, Major Sharpe sent out an SOS to Alnus Command," Sarah said. "The city of Italica is being besieged by ex-Imperial soldiers."

"Ex-Imperial soldiers?" Kurt asked. "You're kidding."

"I am not, sir," Sarah said. "The Major was informed that they are part of the units we decimated last month. They are deserters."

"How did an elite unit get stuck inside an enemy city?" Kurt asked. "By the way, being besieged by the same enemy."

"Let her speak Kurt," Yang said in an annoyed tone.

"Major Sharpe does not fully know enemy strength," Sarah continues. "Right when they got there, the city was just attacked. He is afraid to take his unit outside the city wall without knowing the enemy's makeup."

Kurt leans back thinking. "Aren't Rangers supposed to be fearless? Our weapons should be able to overcome anything they have to throw."

Yang looks to him and speaks up. "Stupidity is not the Ranger way. For all, he knows they might have five thousand horsemen. One good ambush and everyone is dead."

"Plus, you already know about the heavy rainfall yesterday," Sarah adds. "It seems rainfall is heavier on their world, or at least here. There was no way for them to come back to Alnus safety, being forced to help the town defenders."

"Colonel Yang and Lieutenant Sarah are correct," he said. "We still don't know much about these people. We are not there and must take the SOS seriously. This mission is to reinforce our forces on the field, provide any support that is needed. The city of Italica safety is the mission. After that, we will determine the city is a threat to the war effort."

H finds the context of this mission strange. He is sending soldiers to protect an enemy city that is being attacked by its own forces. He graduated from West Point in 1997 and served in Afghanistan, the Occupation of Iraq, and Operation Inherent Resolve(2). While he has seen many strange situations in war, never one this twisted.

However, he sees a chance to gain some ground without laying siege to a city. Seeing US troops coming to the defense of an Imperial city besides attacking it might sway some opinions in the city. He wonders if Major Sharpe is thinking the same thing, trying to create an opportunity or this is just dumb luck.

Everyone nods and then again Kurt speaks. "My forces are ready to go. When they see our tanks roll up should scare them away."

"Not good enough," Anderson responds. "The memo made it clear time is not on our side."

"I Agreed with Anderson," he said. "It will take hours for ground forces to reach the city and as Lieutenant Rose stated before the highway is covered in mud. If it took the JLTVs an extra day to get there, then it might take you two."

"Our only option is an air assault," he continues. "Besides Kurt, until the 2nd Armored Division arrives you are our backup reaction force."

"I understand sir," Kurt said. "We will get into the war another day."

"Colonel Anderson, get your boys into the air ASAP," he orders.

"Yes sir," Anderson said.

Everyone nods and leaves to carry out their orders.

He sees Lieutenant Sarah Rose leaving after all the Colonels. "Lieutenant. Hold up for a moment."

Sarah stops and walks up to his desk. She then stands at attention. "Yes sir?"

While being very professional he noticed that Sarah seemed nervous that her team is under siege. He understands the feeling of sending soldiers into battle while staying safely back at base.

He also heard the drama of Vanguard-7. As a General, he knows what is going on and knows Major Sharpe was not respected by his troops. Sarah's concern shows something different.

"You seem, concerned Lieutenant," he said. "Worried about your team."

"Of course, sir," Sarah replied, confused. "They are my team after all."

He nods, understanding the feeling. "It is not easy to send your team while you stay safe. Never knowing they will come back. Even the most Elite warriors have a bad day."

Sarah takes a breath. "With respect sir but I am not that worried."

He looks at her. "Why is that? I know your team has struggled with your new commander."

"Rocky starts usually builds stronger bonds sir," Sarah said.

"Interesting response," he said. "You passed West Point with a 4.0. At Ranger School, while you did struggle with the physical section you aced all the schooling. With your mind, you could have done anything in the Army, but you stuck being a Ranger. Why is that?"

"My dad was an Infantry Captain in the Army," Sarah said. "Going the easy route is not in my nature and besides, I want to be with the best. If I can help the best win then I did my part. Soldiers cannot fight the enemy if they do not know who to shoot sir."

"And Major Sharpe?" he asked. "I know you two don't get along."

"I wouldn't say we didn't get along sir," Sarah replied. "Just differences."

He can tell she is being careful about how she responds. "Explain."

Sarah stands there, getting a bit frustrated by the questions. "Most saw him as a prick sir when he took command. The situation seems very odd for the Army. However, if he was everything the rumors say, then he wouldn't have helped those refugees or stay in the city to help."

"So, you do think this is intentional?" he asked. "You don't think this is just a coincidence? You think he actually cares?"

"I had a choice to stand by my new commander or bitch about him sir like everyone else," Sarah said. At "And I don't know what your mom told you but mine always said don't listen to what a man said, watch what he does."

He chuckles. "Good dating tips."

"Should have listened to it sooner sir," Sarah replied. "If you are asking me what I think about Major Sharpe then it is this. I think he just needed someone that believes in him. I am Vanguard-7 XO, so it is my responsibility to support him."

Sarah looks at him directly with a firmer tone. "If you are asking me if he cares about the mission or if you can trust him then the answer is yes General. To take one of his silly sayings from his shows, I do think there is more than meets the eye with him. And I am going to do everything I can to encourage it, sir."

He taps on his desk, finding her response interesting. "Thank you very much, Lieutenant. You are dismissed."

Sarah salutes and leaves his office.

He leans back in his chair and thinks. "Mother always said to trust a woman's intuition."

 

***

--- Italica ---

May 10th, 2025

 

For the past few hours, the Rangers of Vanguard-7 have been helping the townsfolk get ready for the coming battle. They are helping build makeshift barricades and other types of defenses. None of the defenses are of great quality however it is the best they can do on short notice.

Major Sharpe can tell that this has been annoying some of the nobles and that young Knight, seeing these 'Americans' getting dirty and interacting with the peasants. It is clearly showing a big difference between the two groups.

He filled his team on the new plan. Alicia, the team radio operator contacted Sarah and reported their situation. Sarah said that Alnus Command is sending in the 101st.

That is when that old Knight Grey walks up to him. "Hello Major Sharpe, I don't believe we have properly introduced each other."

He is currently helping the villagers set up the wagons into a defense line around the gate. His pants and gloves are all dirty from helping, gaining respect with some townsfolk.

He has noticed the Knights armor clean, to the point someone could eat off. He can see how top-down this society is.

He wipes off the sweat from his forehead and looks at him. He looks at him with a skeptical look but nods. He sees this as a chance to learn more about these people and get some intelligence. "Ok."

"My name is Grey Co Aldo of the Rose-Order of Knights. I am the second in command here," Grey said. "Mind if I offer you a drink?"

He agrees to his offer. He can see that this man is trying to figure him out. He also wants to figure this man out too. If he is close to the Imperial Princess and a veteran soldier, any intelligence he can get will be useful against the Empire.

They walk over to a nearby table. Grey then grabs two mugs of water and then hands it to Sharpe.

He takes the mug, gives it a quick sniff, and takes a sip. "That taste... good." He said as this stale, dirty taste of water goes down his throat. "So, what is it, Grey?"

Grey takes a drink from the mug and then looks at him. "I take it you are the leader of your unit. I figured it would be good for us to have a short chat, before the battle."

"Make sense to me," he states. "I have some questions."

Grey nods as he thinks. "To the point. Ok. First I wanted to say thank you for inspiring the people."

This takes him by surprise; he never expected a 'thank you' by any of these nobles or knights. He met everything he said. The United States was born based on peasants raising and gaining their freedom, something nobles and royalty would not like. But it seems like that annoyed them. "None needed. If they don't believe they could win then we already lost."

"I mean it," Grey states. "The situation here becomes dire, but they seem to believe they will survive the next day. But why are you doing it?"

"We are stuck here too, either fight or die," he explains, trying to be careful one what he said and doesn't say. He can see that Grey is trying to figure out his motivations, to see if he has honorable intentions or not.

"You could have turned around and left right when you learned of the situation. But you stayed." Grey asked again.

Grey then looks over and sees that young girl that has been traveling with them. "You have three of our people traveling with you. One being Rory Mercury. Somehow you were able to convince her to be on your side."

"None of them said they were Imperial Citizens," he states as he takes another drink.

Grey takes another drink. "I see. Maybe not Rory but the magic-user and that young girl are following you."

He looks at him, putting together what he just said. "First, Rory Mercury and Lelei Lalena chose to come with us. They wanted to hang around us after the fight with the Flame Dragon. They can leave anytime they wish. They are not my prisoners or slaves but comrades."

He then looks away and sees Rory helping some of the peasants. He is surprised that she has all this power and yet she is still so humble with the people. "I get the vibe I can't force Rory to do anything anyway."

"And yet she obeyed your orders at the gate," Grey points out.

"True," he said and thought. "What point are you making?"

Grey thinks about what Sharpe just said, it is remarkably interesting. Clearly, Rory sees something in these people for her to decide to help them. It is very well known she does not like to work for a Kingdom, preferring to freelance herself.

"I know you are here looking to recruit people to your side. Not in means of war but in popular support." Grey said.

He looks at him, thinking. "Maybe, or I am just looking out for my people."

"I believe that, but I have fought many wars, been in many battles. We are from two different worlds, yet the warrior spirit appears to be the same. Your eyes betray your motives, Sir Sharpe. You are helping because you want to help. That is why you are helping those two girls, that is why you are here." Grey said, finishing his long through.

"I don't think your highness will like you having this conversation. I do what I can when I can. Genocide is not something we like where I am from. We came to learn about this town and trade, all that is true. But I know I can help," he said. He does not know how to reply, just said what was the first thing on his mind.

"I think we both know someone's status on the battlefield is meaningless," Grey responds. "So, I understand the magic-user and Rory. But why do you bring along the young girl? You both seem attached. I take it you helped her in some manner?"

Hearing that question, he is having a hard time forming a response. He is used to fighting his enemy to death rather than having a friendly conversation with them. It already has been a long day.

When he saw Selina there was this big urge in his heart, forcing him to intervene when he saw that. "Well, we ran into these slave traders transporting her(3). The short answer is, I freed her. No child should be a slave for anyone's pleasure. Until I find someone who can take care of her, I guess I am acting as a guardian," He replied.

Grey thinks about what he said and nodded. "Interesting."

That is when Johnson's voice comes through the radio. "Sir, can you come to CP. Over."

Grey looks at that device with great interest. A human voice came out of that black box. "What is that?"

He presses the NW box on his vest, that controls his headphone and replied. "Roger."

He then looks to Grey. "I got to go, but this is a radio. It allows us to talk to each other over long distances. An interesting chat should do it again." And then he leaves.

Grey finished his water and then headed towards Pina thinking.

 

---

 

Pina is in the main courtroom of the city palace. She is very frustrated with the situation. She feels like she has completely lost the situation. She is the Princess of the Empire and she allowed an enemy soldier from the Gate to take command of the defenses. Defending against her own Legionnaires.

"Stay calm Hamilton," she ordered as he looked out into the town.

The doors open and Grey walks into the room.

"I agree Princess, what he said and did was very disrespectful. Once the battle is over, we should capture them all and show them who is in charge." Hamilton will add, agreeing with her.

"Sharpe seems to be an important man among his people," she said, speaking out loud. "He must be a noble of some kind. Maybe if he captures him, we can trade him for something."

"That won't be a good idea," Grey said.

They look at Grey as he approaches.

"Speak Grey, give some wisdom during this crisis," she asked, desperate for his opinion.

"These 'Americans' are quite different. We need to be careful with how we interact with them. Right now, they are willing to help us, and he said his people are coming tomorrow." Grey explains.

She does not fully understand what Grey means. She can tell that they are different, but they cannot be that different from the Empire. It is normal to take a nobleman hostile and ransom him for money, slaves, or something.

"How though? They only just got here unless they are a scout force," she asked. "And let us not forget we are at war with them. Once our truce is over, we should take advantage of them before they do that to us."

Grey listens and thinks. "However, that man is a warrior. He is not here with ill intent. He could be a great enemy or ally."'

"An ally?" She asked, confused. "They are the enemy. The only reason we are working together is that we have a common enemy. Did you forget we are at war with their people?"

She takes a deep breath. "And let us not forget our honor is on the line. This is our first mission. This will be our only chance to prove ourselves. Assuming we even survive this battle, if I lose this then everyone will see my father's daughter coming back for his protection, like a child. It will prove that I will never be able to stand side by side by my brothers."

"Princess," Hamilton said as she placed her hand on her chest.

"Your highness," Grey said as he kneels. "I believe you need to relax and stay focused. In war, you must focus on the matters at hand. Mighty generals have fallen because they try to reach out for more before they are ready. I am not saying you are not but if you think about what the Senate will think of you, then you will lose now."

And right then they all hear the city bells ring. They are the city warning bells, which means the outlaws are back.

 

---

 

Sharpe gets back to his vehicles, where his team is now. Most of them have been helping around but since it got late, they came back here. Mainly for safety reasons.

Alicia walks up. "Sir, so what is the plan."

Everyone looks at him. "I have been thinking about it. We know they are coming to the east gate but there is a chance they will attack the south gate too, to prevent escape. We are splitting up into two teams."

"Is that wise sir?" Second Lieutenant Charles Johnson asked.

"Can't be helped. Selina and Lelei I want you to stay here with the vehicles. Johnson and William stay here too. This is our fallback position, if the city is going to fall, we get the hell out of here. Take our bets." he explains in his command but confident voice.

"Everyone else will go to the east gate. We hold as long as we can. When the airborne gets here, we will coordinate our support," he orders in a calm tone.

Everyone nods their heads after hearing the orders and then goes get ready for the battle. For a moment they all look surprised by how he calmly is giving orders. None of them expected him to be able to act during a crisis. All the Rangers rally and follow their orders.

Selina then walks up and smiles. She has his helmet in her hands and then holds it up to him.

He smiles at her and takes it. "Thank you."

"Good luck and be safe sir," Selina said in a soft voice, trying to look tough even though she is scared. She looks nervous.

He puts on his helmet and smiles. "Thank you. And no worry kid, this is nothing compared to one of my many missions in the Philippines."

He then looks down at her and sees she has no idea what place he is talking about. "Never mind".

That is when they all hear the bells ring. At the gate, there is smoke and flames.

"Everyone, this is it!" Randy begins to yell, gathering everyone.

That is when Rory starts laughing and then bursts out of their minicamp, rushing to the east gate.

 

 

Reference:

------------------------------------------------

(1)Chapter 1

(2)Operation Inherent Resolve is the US-Led war against ISIS

(3)Chapter 5

19