V02 – Chapter 21 RM
951 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***

--- Fort Alnus, Vanguard Headquarters ---

May 10th, 2025

 

For the first time in weeks, everything is quiet at the base, well relatively quiet for an army base. The military base at Alnus Hill, now being called Fort Alnus has been a buzz of activity since the invasion(1). Most of the Vanguard teams, which are made up of Ranger from the 75th Ranger Regiment, are out on missions. When Major Sharpe’s unit called in reinforcements, the bulk of the airborne forces were deployed.

It is nice that the base is quiet. The rainstorm yesterday canceled many missions leaving the base with a strange sense of peace.

 First Lieutenant Sarah Rose is walking between two buildings, carrying forms, mission reports, and other paperwork. She had just finished a staff meeting and now she is heading back to her barracks, Vanguard-7 Barracks. She is the logistical member of Vanguard-7. While they are out on their missions, I get the necessary resources and information for the next mission. And if necessary, work with the other Vanguard staff members for joint missions.

She looks up at the sky and smiles. "What a beautiful world, the sky is so blue."

Looking up at the sky, she would begin to think about her team that she is responsible for. She got her team SOS and sent it up the chain of command(2). From what Alicia said the situation sounded bad. She was glad to see that the General took the matter seriously.

She knows the 101st went there but that was the last she heard of them.

"They will be fine." She said out loud, speaking to herself. "If what I think is true and he gets out of his head they should be fine."

She stops for a moment to relax. She takes a deep breath and smiles. "I do love how clear the air is here. Reminds me of home." She takes a moment to think about Wisconsin, living in the suburbs.

She walks into the Ranger Vanguard command center and sees the other Vanguard Logistical officers. Each one leading a small team with the sole purpose of supporting their teams while they explore this mostly unknown alien world.

As she sits down at her desk and gets caught up with what happened at Italica, she begins to think why Major Sharpe is allowing those three girls to tag along. They are locals and can help navigate this world, but I seem strange that he would.

On Earth, he was so distant with the team, almost like he hated joining the Rangers. But something always seemed off about that and now he is working with Lelei and Rory. Plus, he saved that little girl Selina.

And now he is protecting a city from an attack. "I had a feeling he was not a real dick."

 

***

--- Italica ---

May 10th, 2025

 

After the treaty was formalized and signed, Colonel Anderson and Major Sharpe are walking out of the East gate.

"Are you sure you don't want an escort back to base?" Anderson asked him

"We got it sir; we still have to complete our original mission," he responds.

He looks around as they leave the city walls. There are dozens of Airborne soldiers guarding the Blackhawks and Chinooks. Soldiers loading up a dozen prisoners into a Chinooks for integration. Besides all that, there will be dead bodies everywhere.

"Something on your mind Major?" Anderson asked.

"Just thinking sir," he replied. "I was just wondering if battlefields were like this back in the day."

Back in the day, where large armies would meet and clash in hand-to-hand combat. You would watch it on film or read it in some history books but seeing it with his own eyes is an eye-opener. He finds it unreal. Modern wars are brutal but compared to this, they seem different.

"Don't know if it's just the difference in technology and culture but all this just seems strange. It feels like going back in time, seeing yourself in the mirror. One of these days some professor will figure this out, find some answer," he comments.

"Probably, but I don't think they had flying horses two and a half thousand years ago," Anderson said looking out in the sea of bodies.

He looks at him and watches as Anderson looks back at him. He then starts laughing. "Who knows sir."

"Right," Anderson replied. "We should get back to the base before it gets dark."

Both shake each other's hand and then the Colonel starts walking away, barking orders to his men, telling them to load up.

Before Anderson leaves, he looks back at him. "Sharpe, by the way, what is your mission here?"

He was about to answer the question but then he stopped himself from speaking. After thinking on the question for a moment, realizing what his mission was and that they all came close to dying for it. It made logical sense just yesterday but now? He will be back as the Colonel. "Shopping sir, teenage girls... shopping." Saying that out loud made it sound even dumber.

Anderson laughs out loud like he does not fully believe the reality of it. "Well, not the worst thing dying for... Shopping, yeah. Teenage... yeah. Just be glad they don't have credit cards Major. Girls are very expensive; trust me I have two of them. See you back at base Major, good luck. Was going to say you owe me a beer, but it seems you got the short end already."

He chuckles and gives him a quick salute. He then walks away as the Cavalry unit begins to leave Italica.

As he heads back into the city, he reflects on his difference this war is compared to what he has come so far.

 

---

 

Selina is walking along the streets of Italica. Growing up, she was told stories of this city, an amazing hub city with many riches from around the known world. Too bad her first time here was during a battle, most of the city seems to be closed as the townsfolk work on recovering from the battle.

She is not traveling alone but with Lelei and Rory. Lelei is taking the lead, seeming to know where she is going. Coming here was her idea after all.

"I take it you've been here before?" she asked, staying close to Rory. Even though the city seems appreciated for their help in saving the city, at the end of the day they are still subjects of the Empire and that scares her, so staying close to Rory brings some felt of safety.

"Only a few times, never for a long period of time though. We rarely stayed in one place." Lelei comments.

"I don't know what the big deal about this place is. Just looks like another city to me." Rory said out loud, yawning as she speaks. She seems to be a bit tired, that would not be surprising though after everything she had killed.

"I don't know, I heard nothing but great things about this place," she said back to her.

"Yeah, after living nine hundred years and I have found that most towns pretty much start looking the same," Rory comments, not caring.

Lelei suddenly stops and then opens the door to this shop. "Good, it is not close."

They all go inside the merchant store. Once inside, they see all this pricey merchandise all around the store walls and tables.

Lelei walks straight up to the merchant and begins to talk to him. Rory just wanders around, looking for anything that looks interesting.

She starts to go looking around, seeing what the Empire has to offer. Most of it is items she sees are unimpressive. Back in her country, they had had beautiful pottery, a textile that was second to none. That was until the Empire started burning villages down and causing so much destruction.

As she walks, something catches her eye. It is a small wooden figure dressed in the ancient army. It looks different from the other wooden figures all over this shelf.

That is when Rory walked up. "Hmm... What do you have for Miss Selina." She said in a cutie tone, implying there might be a hidden message.

She gets startled for a moment and then her face blushes a bit. "Ahh...."

"Aww, so cute. I didn't mean to startle you kid." Rory said and then looks down and sees the figure. "Interesting choice."

She looks down at it and then back at Rory. "Why is it? Who is it? He looks different than the others."

"He was an ancient warrior general before the Empire existed. Way before." Rory said, recalling the information in her head. "His name was Kaeso Sura. It was during the dark ages, thousands of years ago. At least I think so, it has been seven hundred years since I heard that name."

She nods her head. "I heard that story before. My dad once told me about it. When demon creatures attacked, and they were defeated by the races of this world." She thinks about that thought. "So, it was this man? I thought it was just some old wise tale for the boys to pretend to be soldiers."

"Yes. Legend foretells a man that rallied the races together, Human, hybrids, beasts, ever orcs, and goblins. That they were able to defeat the demons and drive them back through a doorway." Rory said.

"Doorway... like what is happening now?" she points out, making the two connections.

Rory thinks about that. She always assumed that this doorway was just a historical text description of something. If the old texts are true, maybe the demons came through a Gate just like the Americans did. Something to think about. But the far more interesting fact to Rory is why is she so interested in this toy figure.

She sees Rory smirk and then gets confused and scared, not knowing which one to be. "Ahh... why..."

Rory places her figure on her lips. "So why are you so interested in this? Are you into historical text or want to be a great warrior? Or... are looking to get something, for someone?" She finishes in a teasing tone, already knowing the true answer.

She blushes. "Ahh... no... well. Not at first." She moved Rory's hand away and saw her laugh. "I don't know, it just reminded me of that... what did they call it." She thinks about the name of the toy that Sharpe had on in the dashboard. "A... 'bob head' Optimus Prime figure."

Rory rolls her eyes and smirks. "Apparently, boys from all worlds love their toys, boys will be boys."

"In that Earth show, Optimus Prime is some great leader that always knows what is right," she said. "I figured this might be inspiring too. But that's."

Rory places her hand on her shoulder to stop her. "Let's get it. Should be fun."

They head to Lelei. Once there, both are shocked by the number of books and scrolls Lelei bought.

"There goes being rich..." Rory said. "Why did you get all that?"

"Information. Events are happening and I want to know why. See if this has happened before." Lelei said. "Also, some of these books are rare and advance, I never could have afforded them before, or ever."

"Well then, it is only fair if we can get this little figure," Rory stated.

 

 

Reference:

------------------------------------------------

(1)Chapter 1

(2)Chapter 17

 

 

19