The Only One That Matters
2.1k 42 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Here's 13,150 words for you to ponder over. If you like it, comment and share it.

“I hate this bloody country.” Vernon spouted for the hundredth time as he drove down the road. Their trip across the state was taking much longer than he thought it would and he wasn't in a good mood. “The absolute nerve of them to break off from England is appalling.”

“Vernon, dear.” Petunia said, soothingly. “We're rich, remember?”

Vernon glared at her for a second, then he grumbled that it might not be worth it.

Petunia laughed and her one year old son burbled from his car seat strapped to the back seat. She turned around to play and distract him, then she pinched his plump little cheek to make him laugh. Her eyes caught sight of the other baby in the next car seat. Her nephew, Harry. He didn't make any noise whatsoever, not even when her son smacked him or when Vernon had accidentally kicked him when he had mysteriously appeared underfoot.

He's such a freak. Petunia thought and Harry's bright green eyes stared at her. We're going to do our best to stomp that freakishness right out of you. We're going to set you right back to normal, because there's no way that the Dursleys are going to raise a freak.

Almost as if fate had heard her thoughts, there was a loud blare of a car horn, a flash of headlights, and then a very loud crashing sound cut off her thoughts forever.

*

“I swear, officer. I didn't see them coming around the corner.” The shaken man said as he huddled inside the blanket the paramedic offered him. “They were driving on the wrong side of the road, too!”

“Sir, there's no skid marks or anything.” Another officer said. “I also pulled these from the woman's purse.”

The lead officer took the small leather folders and sighed as he read the passports. “They're from England.”

The shaken man cursed his bad luck and shook his head. “How long have they been here?”

“The car rental says yesterday. They drove here right from the airport.” The other officer said. “There's nothing anywhere in the papers we've found that tells us what their actual destination was.”

“Wonderful.” The lead officer sighed. “At least that explains all the bags and household items. They were moving here to the states.”

The shaken man cursed again and put his head in his hands.

The paramedic put a hand on his shoulder. “If it's any consolation, they didn't feel a thing. It was practically instantaneous.”

The shaken man started crying. He wasn't sure why the adults being dead didn't bother him very much. It was the babies. Two babies were dead and that was the worst feeling in the world.

“ONE OF THE BABIES ARE ALIVE!” One of the paramedics yelled and that made everyone react. They all abandoned their current tasks and ran over to the second ambulance. They all gathered around the open back door and stared inside to see a pair of bright green eyes staring back at them.

“Now what do we do?” One of the officers asked and no one had an answer.

*

“What the hell were you thinking?” Renee asked her husband Charlie as he tried, quite fruitlessly, to explain to his wife why they now had another one year old baby to take care of besides their own baby girl. “We're barely getting by with our own baby!”

“No, you're barely getting by.” Charlie said and immediately knew that had been a mistake to say.

“ExCUSE me?” Renee asked, her face angry. “What did you just say to me?”

“I said we've been getting by just fine.” Charlie retracted. “I've already been putting in overtime at work and we can handle another mouth to feed. He won't be any trouble.”

“Charlie, we can't possibly...”

“Mom and dad said they would help out, too.” Charlie said and saw the accusatory look on her face. “No! I didn't go to them first! They were at the hospital for dad's appointment while little Harry was getting checked over.”

“Harry.” Renee frowned. “His name is Harry.”

Charlie sighed. “It's actually Harrison. The guys at the station shortened it to Harry.”

Renee's expression brightened at the name. “Harrison is a much nicer and outstanding name. I like it.” She said and then scowled. “You will never call him Harry within my hearing.”

Charlie sighed and nodded.

“How long are we supposed to host him?” Renee asked.

“It's just for a few weeks, I swear.” Charlie said right away. “It's just until social services can find a suitable family to take him.”

*

Five Years Later...

“I'm done, Charlie!” Renee said loudly as she packed up her clothes. “I've had enough of this life!”

“Honey, please...” Charlie pleaded.

“No! I've pestered you to take that better job for years! We should have moved a long time ago! You promised me!” Renee nearly shouted. “Your parents have been getting sicker and sicker and I can't do it! I can't spend every day in the goddamn hospital! I can't!”

Charlie closed his eyes and sighed.

“I'm filing for divorce and you better not dispute it, you spineless idiot!” Renee said. “You are going to give me everything you should have given me years ago and you are going to like it! Do you hear me?”

“Yes, dear.” Charlie said and Renee finished packing her things. He helped her carry the bags out to the car and then his heart nearly broke as Renee came out with Isabella in her arms.

“I'm taking Isabella and I'm raising her right.” Renee said and glared at her soon to be ex-husband.

Charlie was too choked up to say anything about that, then the screen door creaked. They both turned to see 6 year old Harrison step out onto the porch and his bright green eyes stared at Renee.

Renee let out a sigh and walked over to the porch. She put her 6 year old daughter down and watched as the two children embraced.

“Bella.” Harrison said.

Both Charlie and Renee were shocked, because it was the very first word that he had said in the entire five years that he had lived there.

“Harry.” Bella said.

“Th-that's enough. Let's go.” Renee said and picked Isabella up, walked by Charlie without comment, and hopped into the car. Once her daughter was strapped in, she drove away with a peel of her tires.

Charlie watched the car disappear down the road. “Well, it looks like it's just you and me now, Harry.”

Harry gave one last look at the road, nodded, and went back inside.

*

Five Years Later...

Albus Dumbledore was in a panic. All of his searches and spells, hints to the Aurors, and his reserve Order members being sent abroad, amounted to nothing. Harry Potter could not be found. The house the Dursleys had purchased stood completely empty. The bribe that had made them rich in the muggle world was also completely untouched, even though ten years had passed.

It was as if they had dropped off the face of the earth... or worse, were eliminated. None of the trace spells he had placed on Harry's things were in effect and the blood wards that were supposed to protect him, also were not active. In fact, they hadn't even formed on either the Dursley's old house or the new one. It was very worrying. If the magical world no longer had Harry Potter as its savior... he had no idea what he was going to do now.

Albus knew that Voldemort was going to make a comeback, and had even put pieces in place to ensure that Voldemort was enticed to come out into the open when he did try to appear again. Unfortunately, if he didn't have Harry Potter here to encounter him, the world would be in serious danger and all of Albus' planning would be for naught.

The reaction of everyone when Harry Potter's name was called to be sorted that September and he didn't appear, was profound. The entire Great Hall was in an uproar, as were most of the teachers. Only three of them didn't react. Albus, Severus Snape, and Professor Quirrell.

The first because he had known all summer. The second, because he was relieved that the son of his hated enemy wasn't there. The third, was both overjoyed and dismayed that the savior was a no-show. It meant that he no longer had any real opposition and the light side of the war no longer had their poster boy to rally behind. His rise to power was going to be so much simpler now.

*

Five Years Later...

A now 16 year old Harry rolled out of bed and hopped into the shower. After a quick lather and rinse, he was dried off and dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. He looked in the mirror and the slight blurriness made him sigh every time. He picked up his thick rimmed glasses and put them on, so he could clearly see his five foot 8 inch reflection.

The glasses were the cheapest available, because that was all they could afford. The alimony payments were absolute murder on his dad. Even with Harry working at the hardware store on the weekends combined with what was left of his dad's pay, it was barely enough to get them groceries every week. If it wasn't for the garden and growing their own vegetables, their diet would have been sorely lacking.

When Harry had been old enough, he had taken over running the household. He did all the cooking and the cleaning, because his dad was absolutely horrible at both. Charlie would apologize every time he tried to help, because he always made a mess of things. Harry loved him, though. Charlie had taken him in when no one else wanted him and then raised him.

The adoption had finally gone through when he was ten years old and he was legally and officially Harrison Swan. It had taken that long for the authorities to search all over the world for Harry's relatives and the only one they found was a horrible fat woman in Britain that raised pit bulls. Since she believed that Harry was the cause of her nephew Vernon's death, she wanted nothing to do with the boy.

Harry chuckled as he thought about the look on the adoption officers face as she listened to that phone conversation. He had asked for a copy just so he could surprise Charlie with it every now and then, because it always made him laugh. That thought made Harry remember the look on Charlie's face when Harry had signed the adoption papers of his own free will. It still made his heart beat faster when he saw that proud look on his father's face.

Harry pushed those thoughts aside and flexed his muscles in the mirror. During the summers, Charlie spent an inordinate amount of time down at the native reserve with his distant by blood relatives and close family by emotional bonds. He and Jacob had hit it off at a young age and hung around each other as much as their schooling would allow.

Of course, the other kids on the reserve absolutely adored Harry, especially Harry Clearwater, Leah's and Seth's father. How could he not love an adorable kid with his name? It was the girls that Harry liked more, especially after he had his fifteenth birthday and he was legally an adult on the reserve. He dated a couple of the girls and they had some nice clean fun while hanging out.

Nothing serious went on with any of them, as long as he didn't count getting to third base with Rachel, Jacob's four year older sister and twin to Rebecca. It had been at a beach party last summer and the two of them let things go a little too far, because they both knew that Rachel would be leaving for college soon and neither of them wanted a long term relationship.

Then again, they both really enjoyed getting to touch each other intimately like that and they had made out nearly all night as they played with each other. Rachel was quite regretful that they couldn't go all the way and he promised her that if she was still interested when she was done of college and he wasn't seeing anyone else, he would be more than happy to continue where they left off.

Their goodbye kiss was spectacular.

Now it was a year later and Harry could almost feel her as his fingers and lips tingled. He chuckled as he ran a comb through his tousled hair and it remained tousled. He tucked the comb into his back pocket and decided he was done getting ready.

“Harry! You're gonna be late!” Charlie yelled up the stairs.

“I know!” Harry yelled and ran down the stairs like a herd of elephants.

“I'm glad you get a discount at the hardware store.” Charlie griped and Harry laughed as his dad tossed him the keys to the old truck. “Her flight gets in at three.”

“Don't worry, Dad. Even if I get caught speeding, I know a few of the cops that live around here. I'll be okay.” Harry joked.

“Bite your tongue!” Charlie said loudly and threw the paper at him. “Get going!”

Harry laughed and handed the paper back as he gave his dad a hug. “You don't have to be so nervous.”

“You're too smart for your own good.” Charlie grumbled under his breath.

Harry grinned at him and then ran out of the house. He climbed into the truck and it roared to life. He and Jacob had spent the last two months putting the old thing back together and getting it running. He had lost count of how many times they had gone to the junkyard looking for parts and then came back with stuff that they didn't need for the engine.

He laughed at the garage full of spare parts and pulled out of the yard. Despite his words to his father, Harry never sped. He also didn't drive recklessly or took any chances on the road. He fully remembered that a careless car accident had killed his whole family and it had left a lightning bolt scar on his forehead. It wasn't until he was eight that the plastic surgeons were sure enough with the procedure to fix the damage.

A tiny balloon was inserted near the scar and slowly inflated over the span of a month to expand the nearby skin. It was a neat procedure, because it gave them enough play to completely cut off the scar tissue and replaced it with healthy flesh and skin. After several more laser treatments, Harry's forehead was completely blank and looked normal.

Of course, the entire community had rallied together and raised the funds for the expensive procedure and the doctor performing it had even donated his services. They only had to pay for him to visit and to stay for the month and a half for the procedure. When it was done, the man was surprised that the people sang his praises and he left the town of Forks as a local hero.

Harry kept an eye on his watch and drove to the airport. He wasn't nervous at all as he drove past the spot that had a permanent memorial for his family. He didn't know them at all, except for several half-imagined words like freak and diddykins, whatever that last one was. In any case, it didn't matter. His sister was coming home for the first time in ten years and he couldn't wait to see her again.

*

Bella was in a funk. She had spent the last ten years taking care of her mother and it had filled her life. Her mother was flighty, a bit air-headed, and she didn't care what anyone thought of her or her actions. Bella had cooked, cleaned, paid the bills, and essentially was the mother in their relationship. She hated it for years, because she hadn't been allowed to just be herself. She always had to be the responsible one.

Then her mother met the next love of her life and married him after six months. She didn't even ask Bella what she thought of the man. Luckily the man was a great guy, a minor league baseball player, and he made quite a bit of money. The downside was that they were a newly married couple and they had a fifteen year old teenager in the house.

Bella barely survived it for about six months, until her birthday that she celebrated with her four friends, then out of the blue she announced that she was going to go live with her father. She hadn't planned it, or even thought about what that would mean for her or her life. She had just blurted out the first thing she thought of and her mother had practically assaulted her with hugs and kisses.

It wasn't until she was packed and on the plane back to Forks that she realized why her mother was so happy. It wasn't because Bella was leaving. Oh, no. It was because she had exhibited the exact same behavior that she hated to see in her mother, Renee. Bella sighed at that thought as she picked up her two large bags from the baggage carousel and walked over to the exit gate.

Well, she was here now and there was no going back for at least two years. At least, that was her mother's last trip itinerary plan, anyway. She was going on tour with her husband as he played at different stadiums across the country and then they were going for a quick trip to Europe during the off season. Her morose thoughts were interrupted by a happy shout.

“BELLA!” A muscular young man in tight jeans and a red t-shirt shouted and waved to her to get her attention, even though there weren't that many people between them.

Bella's mouth dropped open at the sight of Harry. He was six or seven inches taller than her and even through his thick rimmed glasses, she saw his bright green eyes almost dance as he looked her over. She walked over to him and he beamed a smile at her.

“Bella.” Harry said and his voice went a bit deeper than normal.

“H-Harry.” Bella whispered back and then she was engulfed in a tight hug. She let her bags go and hugged him back automatically. Her brain immediately flashed back to the last time they had seen each other and they were doing the same thing.

Harry eased the hug and slowly released her. “It's so good to see you after so long.”

Bella could only nod in response, because her heart was beating so hard and her hands were slightly shaking.

“Let me take your bags.” Harry said and picked up the heavy bags as if they weighed nothing. “I'm parked at the end of the passenger pick-up lane.” He said and nodded at the bank of doors that led outside.

Bella walked with him and he pushed the door with his back to hold it open for her. She smiled slightly at the gesture and he brought her over to the old and pretty beat up pickup truck.

“You came here in that?” Bella asked, surprised.

Harry laughed. “That's just body work. Jacob and the guys helped me rebuild it all underneath.”

“With what, scrap from the junkyard?” Bella asked and he laughed again.

“Pretty close.” Harry said and put her two large bags under a tarp behind the cab of the truck and tied it down. He opened the passenger side door for her and it was Bella's turn to laugh.

“Why, thank you kind sir.” Bella said in her best haughty voice and Harry gave her a bow at the waist and waved his hand with a bit of flair. “Get in and drive, you nut.”

Harry grinned at her and ran around to the driver's side and hopped in. “She runs beautifully.” He said and started it up.

Bella nodded and put her shoulder bag on the bench seat between them. “Harry.”

“Buckle up.” Harry said and she did as he said, then he pulled out and drove down the road to leave the airport. “Okay, ask away.”

“Why did you come to get me and not Charlie?” Bella asked.

Harry gave her a glance and looked back at the road. “Before you start doubting that he wants you here almost as much as I do, he sent me as a test of my driving skills.”

Bella gave him a stern look. “You're sixteen. He shouldn't be sending you halfway across the state on your own.”

Harry chuckled. “He's been letting me drive all over the county for about two years now.”

“What?!?” Bella gasped and Harry laughed.

“He said you'd react like that.” Harry said. “He's also been worried since I got my learner's permit that I would be too nervous to drive because of my family.”

Bella closed her eyes briefly and reached a hand over to touch his arm. “I'm sorry. I didn't mean...”

“Hey, it's okay. I didn't really know them and they weren't my birth parents, anyway.”

“Wh-what?” Bella asked, confused.

“It all came out about six years ago after Charlie called in a few favors and had some people look into my family history. The people in the car were my aunt, uncle, and their baby. My cousin and not my brother, thankfully.”

Bella looked surprised.

“I mean, it wasn't as bad only losing a cousin. We all thought it was my brother for years, remember?”

Bella nodded and her hand gripped Harry's arm before she let it go. “I'm sorry that I didn't write back very much.”

“You were taking care of Renee as best as you could. I was surprised you managed to send me any at all.” Harry said and his voice dropped a couple of octaves as he continued to speak. “I cherished the ones you did manage to send me.”

Bella's face flushed red at his words and Harry glanced at her to give her a sly smile. She huffed at him and he chuckled.

“It's really nice having you back home, Bella.”

“You know, you're the only one that calls me that.” Bella said.

“That's because I know you hate your full name.” Harry said. “Even as kids, you hated it.”

“Yeah.” Bella said and didn't say anything else. The silence wasn't uncomfortable as they rode in the truck all the way home.

*

Charlie was almost shaking out of his clothes as he worried about what his daughter was going to say to him after being away for so long. He had done his best for her and given her everything Renee had asked for. He stayed in contact, called once a month at the designated time, and paid through the nose for the long distance charges.

It was going to be very different when they met in person, mainly because it was much harder to look someone in the eye and apologize for letting them be taken away without a fight. He had let Renee walk all over him and he regretted it every single day, because he didn't get to watch his beautiful little girl grow up. If he hadn't had Harry to keep him sane, he didn't know what he would have done.

Charlie heard the truck pull into the yard and he hopped up out of his very comfortable chair. He ignored the protest from his stiff muscles after sitting still for so long and walked over to the front door. The screen door squeaked when he opened it and he stepped out onto the porch. He stared at the truck's passenger side and cursed the reflection in the windshield that blocked his sight.

The door opened and a beautiful young woman stepped out into the soft breeze. She wore loose jeans and a baggy top that pretty much hid her from view, and that both made him happy and upset him, because he couldn't tell if she had been eating properly or not. Her dark brown wavy hair swayed in the wind and she swiped her hand across her brow to push the hair behind her ear.

That's when Charlie saw her face. His daughter had grown up and her features were the perfect mix of her slim mother and her striking father. They combined to give her an elfin look with an almost heart shaped face and her chocolate brown eyes were filled with intelligence. He saw the recognition on her face when she saw him and she smiled slightly. The two of them stood there and just looked at each other silently.

Harry grabbed Bella's bags from the back of the truck and walked over to the porch to whisper. “Go over to her and give her a hug, Dad.”

He went by him and took the bags inside and up the stairs. When he came back down, Charlie and Bella were both just standing there and not saying anything. He grabbed Charlie by the arm and dragged him over to Bella, then touched Charlie's mouth to move it.

“Hi, Bella! I love you! Give this old geezer a hug!” Harry said and then dodged as Charlie tried to whack him.

Bella laughed while Charlie growled at Harry to get back here for a proper smack. “Dad.”

Charlie turned to her and his face was sad as he took a deep breath. “I'm sorry I ever let you go, Bella.”

Bella's face remained impassive and the only indication that she agreed were two little wet drops from the corners of her eyes. Charlie wrapped his arms around her and held her close as she silently cried.

Harry stood off to the side for a few moments to let them have their bonding time, then he stepped close and hugged them both. “How come you're so short now?” He asked Bella and she let out a similar growl to Charlie's.

“She takes after her mother in some things.” Charlie said and Bella growled louder. He laughed and they both let Bella go and stepped out of her swinging range.

“My old room better be ready.” Bella said with squinted eyes.

“Well, considering it's been my room for ten years...” Harry started to say and she gave him a stern look. “Yes, it's ready.” He stepped close again. “I'll do anything for you, Bella. You know that.”

Bella took a breath and let it out. “No, if it was your room, you can stay there. I'll sleep on the couch or something.”

“Ha! I don't think so.” Harry said. “Should we show her, Dad?”

“Show me what?” Bella asked.

“Come on.” Harry said and grabbed Bella shoulder bag from the front seat of the truck. He passed it to her and then took her hand. Bella held on as Harry led her inside the house and up the stairs. When she got there, she took in a sharp breath.

“What did you do?” Bella asked, shocked. The upstairs looked nothing like it used to. She might have been only six at the time; but, she clearly remembered what it should have looked like.

“Harry's been working at the hardware store on the weekends.” Charlie said from behind them.

“That doesn't explain all of this!” Bella said and waved at the three bedrooms that used to only be two and a hallway between them. “Where's the bathroom?”

“Outside.” Harry said and Bella gasped. “Ha ha! Just kidding. We moved it downstairs to make room. With only me and dad here, we didn't need the big tub, so we got rid of it.”

Charlie nodded. “Once we had that huge thing gone, Harry noticed how much room it left behind. If we took out the rest of the bathroom and added the space in the hallway...”

“It was easily enough space for another room.” Harry said. “Mind you, it took about ten times as long to do because we had to do it after work.”

“It was worth all the effort.” Charlie said and put an arm over Bella's shoulders.

“Th-thanks.” Bella said, her voice barely above a whisper.

“What was that?” Harry asked and held a hand up to his ear. “Did you just say we were awesome?”

“No.” Bella scoffed.

“Dad! Bella just said we're awesome!” Harry said and held up a hand for a high five and Charlie slapped the offered hand.

“I did not.” Bella said, halfheartedly.

“Your bags are already in your room.” Charlie said. “Go ahead and get settled while Harry gets started on supper.”

“Harry?” Bella asked, surprised.

“Yeah, I don't know what I would do without him.” Charlie said and slapped Harry on the back when he saw the smirk on his face. “Don't get a swelled head.”

“Too late, Dad.” Harry said with a laugh and went down the stairs.

Bella stepped into the middle room and she saw the large windows that gave her a great view of the nearby field, the backyard, the trees, and the trail behind the house.

“It's really nice to have you back.” Charlie said softly and closed her bedroom door.

Bella sat on the bed and looked around the bedroom. Her bedroom. “I think... I think so, too.”

*

The weekend before school started, Charlie brought Harry and Bella to the reserve. They took Harry's truck and Charlie drove. They pulled into the Black family's driveway and Harry hopped out, excited.

“Bella, you've gotta meet my namesake! He's hilarious!” Harry said and waved for her to follow.

Bella shook her head. “There's no way I'm going to find one of Charlie's friends hilarious.” She said and her voice was full of doubt.

“You don't know what you're missing.” Charlie said and picked up the large case of beer from the back of the truck.

“Harry! HARRY!” Harry yelled and there was a laugh from inside the house. The door opened and a very pretty native woman stood there.

“How many times do I have to tell you to stop yelling every time you come here?” Sara asked.

Harry stepped up onto the small step and hugged her as he kissed her cheek. “You just answered your own question.”

Sara laughed and pushed him into the house. “Hey, lips off.”

“What? I always kiss your cheek!” Harry complained.

“Which of us has been seeing a tall and quiet girl every few weeks behind everyone's backs?” Sara asked and Harry's face looked shocked. “Yes, I know all!”

“Well, damn. She wanted me to keep it quiet.” Harry grumbled.

An old native in a wheelchair rolled into the room and laughed. “Is it serious, Young Harry?”

“Not really, Billy. She's just worried about people finding out. It's none of their business, she said.” Harry responded. “She won't let me take her to the mall or anything.”

“The mall is in the next town, that's why.” Charlie said and he kissed Sara's cheek, too. She didn't tell him not to, either.

“Hey, no fair!” Harry pointed at them and Sara chuckled. Charlie just shook his head as he handed the large case of beer to the now very happy man in the wheelchair.

“Ah, liquid of the gods.” Billy said and hugged the case. “We will perform the proper ritual while we watch the ancient dance of the chosen.”

Bella stared at him and didn't know what to say.

“Don't freak out. They're just going to watch football.” Harry said with a laugh and waved her forward. “Jacob's room is back here.”

“Seth's there, too.” Sara said. “Old Harry will be here soon if you want him to meet Bella.”

Harry nodded and Bella followed him through the house to a plain bedroom door that he banged on.

“This is a RAID!” Harry yelled through the door and there were several bangs and thumps. He gave a laughing Bella an evil grin and opened the door.

Jacob was on the floor and partially wrapped in a blanket as he tried to snuff out the joint he had and Seth was frozen halfway out the window with a bag of weed dangling from his teeth. Harry and Bella laughed hard at them while Jacob and Seth sorted themselves out.

“S-s-sorry! I couldn't... resist.” Harry said between laughs.

“You almost gave me a heart attack, man!” Seth exclaimed and sat down on the floor beside the bed.

“We're gonna get you back, Harry.” Jacob promised.

“The looks on your faces was totally worth it.” Harry said and sat down on the bed. “How's the taste?”

“We're working on it.” Seth sighed and handed over the bag.

Harry opened it and took a sniff. “You're not using the plant I told you to cut in.”

“It reduces the buzz too much.” Jacob said.

Harry sighed and closed the bag. “The whole point was to cut the hit and then extend it to last longer.”

Jacob shook his head. “I don't know how you can figure all that out and you don't even smoke it.”

Harry chuckled. “Just because I don't partake, that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing.”

“Yeah, yeah. Old Harry's been teaching you every summer. We know.” Jacob said.

“Teaching you what?” Bella asked.

“Everything he knows.” Harry said with a grin. “He's the best.”

“You should propose and marry him already.” Seth joked and Jacob laughed.

“I'd wreck that old body if I tried anything.” Harry scoffed and that made them laugh harder.

“Harry?” Bella asked, looking concerned.

“I'm joking.” Harry said with a roll of his eyes. “Come on, guys. Pack up. We have to get to the meeting spot.”

“It's all right. Sam and Embry won't do anything without us there.” Jacob said.

“Yeah, keep telling yourself that.” Harry chuckled.

“How much time do we have, anyway?” Seth asked.

“Dad brought the big case of beer this time.” Harry said with a grin.

“Ha! We've got until curfew!” Seth said, happily. “The girls are gonna love that.”

“The girls?” Bella asked as Seth hopped out the window and Jacob passed him two of the bags he had, the roll of papers, and several lighters.

“Leah's friends.” Harry said and opened the bedroom door. “We're going to the hangout!”

“Come and get some snacks!” Sara responded.

“Oh, right.” Harry said and darted back out of the room and over to the kitchen to pick up the basket. He stood at the end of the counter and stared at her.

Sara made him wait for three whole seconds before she spoke. “Go ahead.” She said and pointed to her cheek.

“Thanks!” Harry said, kissed her cheek with a loud 'mwah!' sound to make her laugh, and ran away with the basket in his hands.

“Kids.” Sara said and went into the living room with Charlie's and Billy's snacks. Old Harry stepped in through the front door and joined the football watching party. He had even brought his own snacks.

*

“Where are they?” Sam asked as he looked down the alley for the others.

“They said they had to wait for Charlie to show up. The game starts in ten minutes.” Embry said.

“They better hurry up! The girls will be upset if...”

“Thanks for waiting!” Seth said loudly as he, Jacob, Harry, and a girl they didn't know appeared at the other end of the alley.

“Hey, who's the new girl?” Embry asked.

“It's more like returning girl.” Harry said. “Guys, this is Bella.”

“No way!” Embry exclaimed. “She's Charlie's little girl that he misses so much?”

Bella felt a little uncomfortable at the two older boys looking at her and suddenly Harry was in front of her.

“Guys, she's not like that, so drop the propositioning looks.” Harry said in a stern voice.

“Hey, it's just a friendly gaze. No offense meant.” Sam said.

“Do you want me to say that to Leah?” Harry countered and Sam made a fist, then he sighed.

“Okay, good point.” Sam said.

“I know.” Harry said and then his hand shot out and slapped Embry's face.

“Ow! What was that for?” Embry asked as he rubbed the spot.

“You don't have a girlfriend I can threaten you with.” Harry said and put an arm over his shoulders. “I had to resort to bodily harm if you even look at Bella like that again.”

“Aww, come on. She's hot!” Embry said and Bella's face flushed red.

“I'm sorry, buddy. I know it's hard; but, you're going to have to ignore it like I am.” Harry said and they started walking out of the alley after Seth handed Sam one of the bags and half of the papers. They all missed Bella's sharp breath at Harry's words.

They met up with a couple other guys near the middle of the reserve and Bella felt a little out of place until one of the guys whispered something.

“Here they come.” He said and everyone turned to look down the street.

It was like a scene from a movie as Leah, Sam's girlfriend of several years, led four other girls down the street towards them. The wind caught their black hair and all five of them walked like their hips were in swivels.

“Goddamn.” Sam whispered as Leah's walk changed to be more seductive for him, now that she knew he was watching. The other girls followed suit, even though they were a couple of years younger than her. They knew the guys were watching them and they had all the power for the next few minutes.

“Hey, handsome.” Leah all but purred as she came to a stop in front of him.

“Leah.” Sam said and stepped close to take her in his arms and then he kissed her like they were all alone.

Seth whistled and a few of the guys laughed.

“Hi, Harry.” One of the girls said and stepped out of the group.

“Hi, Sunflower.” Harry said with a smile.

The girl smiled back. “That's not my name.”

“It's close enough for my feeble brain to acknowledge.” Harry said and she laughed.

“Old Harry would say otherwise.” She said. “My dad can't stop talking about how well you're doing.”

“He's not trying to marry us off again, is he?” Harry asked.

“Would that be so bad?” She asked and reached up to lightly rub his chest.

“Only for you.” Harry responded. “We only went out three times.”

She had to laugh at that. “I told you the elder council would accept you, especially when Old Harry's done training you.”

“Which won't be for years yet. You can't just sit around and hope I'll finish someday. You need to live your own life.”

“Oh, Harry.” She said and stepped close. “Don't you get tired of saying no?”

“No.” Harry said with a grin and she laughed as she poked his chest.

“Stop that!”

“No.” Harry chuckled.

She huffed playfully, then she stood on her toes and kissed his cheek. “You're sitting beside me later.”

“Maybe.” Harry said and she went back over to the girls.

“Are we going to the beach first or the hangout?” One of the other guys asked.

“Hangout.” Nearly everyone else said at the same time and then they all laughed.

“Hangout it is.” Sam said and led them over to the patch of trees and the clearing in the middle. They had wooden benches, two swings, and a nice patch of grass to relax on.

“Everyone, this is Bella.” Harry said when everyone else had settled down. “Charlie's daughter.”

“Wow, we haven't seen you since you were five.” Leah said and took a puff of a joint. “Ooo, that's a nice mix.”

“Thanks to Harry.” Jacob said and everyone thanked him.

“He didn't do it right, dammit.” Harry said and they all laughed.

“You keep trusting him and he never does it right.” Sam said with a laugh and blew out a huge puff of smoke. “I have to say though, even the mistakes are great.”

“They really are.” One of the other guys said and laid back on the grass. “Anyone bring any snacks?”

“Sara gave us some.” Harry said and opened the basket.

“Oh! Give it! She makes the best ones!” Sunflower said and made a 'gimmie' motion with her hands.

Harry handed her a baggie with homemade chocolate chip cookies in it.

“You see! The best!” Sunflower said and held it up. That action was met with applause and she bowed her head several times. “Thank you, thank you.”

Everyone laughed and Harry passed out the snacks to make sure everyone had something. He went over to Bella and they sat on a bench.

“Is it always like this?” Bella asked in a whisper.

“No, Jacob just finished a batch. We usually just hang out and talk, play a few games, and then go down to the beach and have a nice fire and some hot dogs.”

“That sounds...”

“Boringly normal?” Harry asked and Bella let out a sigh. “I'm sorry. We don't do all that big city stuff down here.”

“Harry...”

“It'll get a little better when school starts next week. There's be a lot more kids and you'll be busy with school work and things.” Harry said. “I'm sure that someone as popular as you will make a lot of friends quickly.”

“Huh? What?” Bella asked, confused.

Harry chuckled. “Bella, you're the prodigal daughter that just came back from exile in the big city. Everyone wants to know what happened to you while you were gone.”

“No, I... you're wrong. I'm not that interesting.” Bella said.

Harry turned to look at her. “Bella, don't kid yourself. Look at yourself. You're like a diamond in the rough.”

Bella raised her eyebrows at him and he chuckled.

“Yes, we're the rough and you're the diamond.”

“But...”

“You'll see.” Harry said and put an arm over her shoulders. “When we start classes, I'll probably barely see you.”

“That won't happen.” Bella said. “I just got back and I won't let anyone take me away from you again.”

It was Harry's turn to have his eyebrows raise up. “Bella...”

“That didn't come out right.” Bella said and turned her head away. “Forget I said anything.”

“Sure.” Harry said and didn't take his arm from her shoulders until everyone decided to go to the beach. They all headed over to the place where they already had a nice rack of wood set up for a fire.

“Do it, Harry!” Seth said with a laugh. “Show us your awesome shaman powers!”

That made everyone laugh as they sat around the fire pit.

“Just for that, I'm using the lighter this time.” Harry said and everyone stopped laughing like a switch had been thrown.

“Harry.” Sunflower said and walked over to him. “Please. We weren't laughing to make fun of you. You know we would never do that.” Her hand rubbed his chest. “We were laughing because Seth is an idiot.”

“Hey!” Seth exclaimed and that made a few people laugh.

“Are you sure?” Harry asked and everyone nodded.

“Please. Show us that you're doing your lessons.” Sunflower said.

“Do it.” “Do it.” “Do it.” “Do it.” “Do it.” They all chanted with low voices.

“Give me some space.” Harry said and Sunflower gave him a bright smile before she walked around the pile of wood and shooed everyone back. He nodded and she sat down a couple feet away next to Bella.

“What's he doing?” Bella asked in a whisper as Harry held his hands out to the fire pit and spoke the native language.

“He's calling upon the fire spirits to ask for their blessing.” Sunflower whispered back. “It usually happens quick for him, since he's so powerfu-WHOA!”

The entire pile of wood went afire at once with a whoosh of air and a blast of heat that covered them all. The flames burned bright blue for several seconds before they settled down to a nice crackling orange and yellow fire.

“Hey, do I still have eyebrows? I hope I do.” Seth asked the guy next to him, who laughed.

Harry sat down next to Sunflower and she immediately leaned her head on his shoulder.

“That was amazing.” Sunflower said. “You actually made the flames go blue. Not even the elder shaman can do that, and he was Billy's father.”

“That's because I cheated.” Harry joked and she laughed.

“Uh huh. How did you cheat? It's a fire chant.”

Harry smiled. “I mixed in an air chant.”

Sunflower gasped and lifted her head to stare at him. “You didn't!” She said and he nodded. “How did that work? It should have blown the fire out!”

“Not if you do it right.” Harry teased and she squinted her eyes at him. “Are you sitting in on my last summer lesson tomorrow?”

“I am now.” Sunflower said and he chuckled.

Bella sat there and wasn't sure how to react. She just saw Harry do something amazingly scary. He created fire. From nothing.

“Who's telling the legend story this time?” One of the guys asked.

“Sam's eldest.” Seth said.

“I did it last time.” Sam said and looked at Jacob. “You're the closest to the Swans. Since they have a returning family member, you can do it.”

Jacob nodded and picked up several handfuls of sand. “Harry, give me a boost.”

Harry nodded and held his hands out to the fire. The flames parted and Jacob sprinkled some sand into the space. The hot air held the little granules of sand up, to Bella's surprise, and then Jacob started to talk. He told of an ancient tale of the fight between ancient killing machines and the holy saviors that were chosen to oppose them.

Bella's eyes could almost see the scenes be recreated with the sand granules as Jacob described them. The story unfolded, about their epic battles, truces being called, broken, and more fights. The last truce was the most binding one, the one that the Quileute tribe had imposed the most restrictions on, and that had been over 60 years ago. It was such a strong treaty that it still held today.

“That... that was...” Bella tried to put into words how stupid that sounded.

“The ravings of a weed ravaged mind, right?” Harry asked with a chuckle.

“Well, yeah.” Bella said.

“It's true, though.” Harry said and let the flames go back to their normal shape. “I mean, someone's not supposed to be able to split fire, right?”

Bella's eyes widened as she looked at him.

“It's all right. Almost no one believes it the first time.” Jacob said and also looked at Harry.

“You're saying that he did?” Bella asked and they all nodded.

“He sucked it up like a sponge.” Sunflower said, a bit proudly. “All of the tribe elders just love him.”

“Not just the elders.” Sam teased and Sunflower blushed, as did two of the other girls.

Bella saw their faces clearly because of the light from the large fire. Her eyes once again went to Harry and he laughed a little.

“Before you judge me, I've only gone on a couple dates and then we agreed to only be friends.” Harry responded. “We also haven't... well... you know.”

“I should hope not. You're only sixteen.” Bella said.

“I'm fifteen now.” Sunflower said and gave Harry a sexy smile.

“Fourteen.” Two of the other girls said.

“Thirteen.” The last girl said, dejectedly.

“Harry!” Bella gasped and everyone laughed.

“The age of consent is fifteen on the reserve, with parental permission, it's twelve.” Leah said.

“Wh-what? No way!” Bella exclaimed.

“They dropped the age requirement when the birth rate dropped below sustainability.” Harry said and Bella looked shocked. “They don't want their people to die out over the next sixty years.”

“So... so they...”

Sam laughed. “No, don't think that way. We're not humping everything that moves.”

“I wish we were!” Seth added and the girls grabbed handfuls of sand to throw at him. He coughed and spit it out, since most of the shots hit him in the face, their target. “Pfft! You know what I meant!”

The girls grumbled and huffed, then nodded. They all had someone they wanted to be with if given the opportunity.

“We still court properly and marriage is still involved.” Leah said and cuddled Sam. “Some of us choose to wait, so we can have a life before we start our lives together.”

Bella was sure that she was going to do the same thing. There was no way that she wanted to have a family right away. She knew from experience what it was like to take care of someone and she did not want to do that again for a while. Perhaps never.

“That's enough serious talk for tonight.” Sam said, almost like a command. “Harry, are you looking forward to your first year of high school?”

Harry barked a laugh. “I'd be in college right now if Charlie didn't need me to take care of him.”

Bella looked surprised and Sunflower leaned close.

“Harry's denied class advancement every year.” Sunflower said, once again as if she was the one that was proud. “He's drawing out his schooling, so he can stay here longer.”

“I won't leave Charlie before I have to.” Harry said and kicked a bit of sand with his foot. “College can wait.”

“But... if you're smart enough...” Bella started to say.

“They can't afford it.” Leah said. “Maybe if they save up and Harry qualifies for a scholarship...”

“What? Why?” Bella asked and looked at Harry. “Charlie has lots of money!”

Harry gave her an incredulous look. “No, Bella. You and Renee have lots of Charlie's money.” He said and stood up. “I think we need to head back before it gets too late.”

Bella looked shocked at the relevation.

“Do you want to keep the fire for a while?” Harry asked everyone.

“No, you're right.” Sam said and helped Leah stand. “It's getting close to curfew anyway.”

Harry waved his hand at the blazing fire and it disappeared. It didn't slow down, it didn't fizzle out, or anything. It was just gone.

“That's just as cool to see as it was the first time.” Seth said with a grin.

“You shouldn't be so easily impressed.” Harry said with a roll of his eyes and Seth laughed.

“Thanks for coming to visit.” Sunflower said as she stood and gave Harry a 'come here' look.

“I'm seeing Angela on Monday.”

“You're only dating.” Sunflower said and licked her lips. “I can choose you on my own now.”

Harry chuckled. “Uh huh. How is that different from your dad choosing me for you?”

“I'll enjoy it more.” Sunflower said with a purr.

The guys laughed and the girls let out giggles, even Leah.

“Just kiss her goodbye and make it a good one. Maybe she'll stop coming over and begging me about the next time you're coming over to visit.” Jacob said.

Sunflower's face flushed and she was glad that there was no light from the fire to show it. Harry could still tell, though. He stepped close an ducked his head a little and Sunflower lifted her own head a little to match, then their lips touched and the light kiss quickly became a passionate one. Their arms went around each other and they made out for about thirty seconds before the guys started to whistle and yell encouragement.

Harry broke the kiss with a laugh and glared at the guys. “Goddammit! Give me at least one chance to kiss a girl without interruption!”

“You wish! Ha ha ha!” They responded and Harry shook his head.

“I'll see you tomorrow at my lesson.” Harry said to Sunflower and she nodded. He let her go and took Bella's hand to help her walk over the sand without falling. With it being dark, it was much harder for someone not used to the area to walk safely. None of them saw the expression on her face after watching Harry's kiss.

They made it back to Billy Black's house and went inside, just in time to see the final goal of the game and Charlie and Old Harry jumped to their feet with a yell. An almost empty bowl of popcorn was flung onto the carpet and beer frothed as they celebrated.

“Here's to fifty bucks!” Old Harry said and clanked his beer can on Charlie's.

“You said it, buddy!” Charlie said and they both finished off their beers.

“That's what I call perfect timing.” Harry said and both men turned to the doorway.

“Harry!” Old Harry said and took two steps, tossed the empty can over his shoulder to have it go exactly into the trash can, and he took the young man into a hug. “I hope you're ready for tomorrow.”

“I've got my pain shirt and my sweat soaked headband all ready.” Harry responded and Old Harry laughed.

“Wouldn't that be something if it were true?” Old Harry said. “I hope you keep up with your practice during the school year.”

“I've put time aside in the middle of the week.” Harry said. “You know how easy I have it in bio-lab.”

Old Harry nodded. “Now, step aside so I can get a good look at Charlie's mysterious daughter.”

Harry stepped to the right and waved at Bella with his free hand, because she still held onto his left. “I present to you, the wonderfully beautiful Bella Swan.”

Bella's face flushed red and she glared at him as she pulled her hand from his, which made Old Harry laugh.

“I can see that you get along well.” Old Harry said.

“Maybe. We're just getting reacquainted the last few weeks and I don't know if she even likes me yet.” Harry said.

“I do!” Bella said and then caught her breath at the admission.

“Ah, surprised honesty. There's nothing more revealing.” Old Harry said with a knowing smile.

“Stop teasing the poor girl, Old Harry. Charlie, I think the kids are ready to go home.” Sara said and came over to them. “Next time, you're hanging out here at the house, you hear?”

“We can't cut into your Charlie time like this old geezer does.” Harry said and a wizened hand smacked the side of his head. “Ow!”

“Respect your elders.” Old Harry said.

“You could at least use the hand without the ring on it.” Harry said and rubbed his head.

“That's the point.” Old Harry said with a mischievous grin. “Bella, it was nice meeting you.”

Bella smiled and glanced at Harry. “Likewise.”

Old Harry laughed.

“Come on.” Charlie said and put his coat on before he handed Harry the keys.

The three of them left the Black house after saying goodbye to Billy and Harry drove them home.

“What's that smell?” Charlie asked.

“Beef stew that's been simmering on low heat all day.” Harry said and then he heard two very distinct stomach rumblings. “Sit at the table and I'll get it ready.”

“I'm not really hungry, so I'm going to...” Bella tried to say.

“Sit.” Harry commanded and Bella sat at the kitchen table. “Charlie? Table or chair?”

Charlie looked at his comfortable recliner in the living room and then at Bella. “Table.” He said and sat down across from her. Bella looked surprised and Charlie looked a little embarrassed.

“Good choice.” Harry whispered to him and quickly did up three bowls of stew, cut up some homemade rolls and lightly buttered them, then served it to Charlie and Bella before he sat down himself to eat.

They ate in silence and Harry could tell that they enjoyed it, if them dipping their buns into the thick broth to eat it was any indication.

“There's lots.” Harry said and got another bowl for himself, then offered a ladle full for Charlie.

“All right. Sure.” Charlie said.

Bella shook her head. “I'm good.”

Harry gave her a skeptical look and she gave him a stern look right back. “Okay.” He said and sat down to finish eating. When they were done, Charlie went to the living room and Harry took the dishes to the sink to start washing them.

“I'll dry.” Bella offered and Harry nodded.

The dishes were quickly dealt with and the stew pot was left to cool before it was put into a large serving bowl and covered in the fridge.

“Goodnight.” Bella said.

“Goodnight.” Harry said and watched her go up the stairs.

When she was out of sight, he ducked out of the house and went to the edge of the property. He held his hands up and started chanting in an ancient language as he started to reinforce the magical barrier that he had constructed around the place. He was never going to let anything take his Bella, no matter what. He would confront them directly if he had to, even knowing he might not survive if he did fight them.

*

It was the first day of high school and Harry was dressed in his best jeans and a blue button up shirt. He drove his truck in silence and had a very tense Bella beside him. They pulled into the parking lot and there were a lot of nicer cars there.

Bella fidgeted at all the stares and Harry chuckled. “What?”

“They aren't looking at you yet. They're staring at the old girl.” Harry pat the dashboard. “They won't realize it's you until you get out.”

“I'm not getting out.” Bella said and Harry laughed.

“It's the first day. We have orientation and announcements for the first half and then homeroom class all afternoon. Our real class schedule won't be until tomorrow.”

“How do you know that?” Bella asked.

“I've asked around.” Harry said. “I just hope they put us in the same homeroom class.”

Bella took in a sharp breath. “Is there a chance they won't?”

“It depends on if they have spare spots during the class sorting.” Harry said with a shrug. “We're both late for the sorting, so maybe we'll be lucky.”

Bella turned to look at me. “What do you mean we're both late?”

“Ah... Charlie might have... forgotten to submit my name until you called and reminded him to add yours.” Harry said, clearly embarrassed.

“Are you kidding me?” Bella asked.

Harry sighed. “We were both really busy all summer and...”

“Harry.” Bella said, sternly.

“I know.” Harry said and found a parking spot right next to a very sporty looking car.

“I don't think you can park here.” Bella said and looked down at the sports car.

“It's one of the last free spots. Just a second and I'll hold the door for you.” Harry said and hopped out. He came around to the passenger side and stood between the truck and the sports car, then opened the door.

“You can't do that every time.” Bella said as she grabbed their backpacks and hopped out. Being only about five foot three, she was small framed and easily passed through the smaller space and walked to the end of the truck.

Harry shut the door and walked over to her. “We'll have to show up earlier if we want to park anywhere else.”

Bella sighed, because they had already gotten up much earlier than she had while living with Renee. Harry took his backpack from her and they both started walking towards the school. The whispers, looks, and pointing, started right away. Bella slowed her walk and ducked her head a little.

Harry reached back and grabbed her arm to make her walk normally. “No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.”

“Huh?” Bella looked at him in surprise.

“I'm saying that you need to ignore them and be wary of any people that want to be your friend right away.” Harry said. “You're going to be popular because you moved here from the big city. They are going to clamp onto you to ride the wave with you.”

Bella wasn't too sure that was a bad thing and Harry laughed.

“As long as you're aware of the danger, it's your choice to be friendly or not.” Harry said and a few people waved to him. “Hey! Had a good summer?”

“Yeah! You?”

“New strain.” Harry responded.

“Lunchtime.” The guy said and Harry nodded. The guy high-fived his buddy and they started talking to the people around them.

“You're dealing drugs at school?” Bella asked in a hushed whisper.

Harry laughed. “No, I just hand out new samples to those interested. If they want anything, they need to leave here and go get it themselves. They know where.”

“It's the same thing.” Bella spat.

“Before you condemn me further, I've processed out the mental retardation factor. It doesn't hinder mental development at all.”

“What? How?”

Harry wiggled his fingers. “Maaaagic!”

Bella laughed and he grinned.

“There's the laugh I love to hear.” Harry said and his eyes caught sight of someone, completely missing Bella's blush. “Oh! You've got to meet Angela. She's been asking about you since I told her you were coming to live here.”

“Is she one of the ones I need to be wary about?” Bella asked.

Harry barked a laugh. “Not at all. Her friends on the other hand... just watch the blonde. She's the most blatant about it.”

“Okay.” Bella said and followed Harry over to a small group of girls.

“There's the lovely beauty I was looking for.” Harry said with a beaming smile.

Angela blushed, Lauren rolled her eyes, and Jessica gave him a stern look.

“Which one of us are you talking to?” Jessica asked. She was the blonde.

“Since I don't want to insult anyone, I'm keeping my mouth shut.” Harry said and she huffed in frustration. “Angela, Lauren, Jessica... this is Bella.”

“H-hi.” Bella said, her voice slightly shaky. She coughed and straightened her back. “Hi. It's nice to meet some of Harry's friends.”

“You're already lying to her? What a stand up guy you are.” Jessica said and Lauren laughed.

“I didn't lie.” Harry said. “I told her the absolute twisted truth.”

Angela laughed this time and then closed her mouth as she blushed.

Harry winked at her and she turned her head a little, so she wasn't looking directly at him.

“I thought your name was Isabella.” Jessica commented.

“I've always hated my full name.” Bella said. “It wasn't until Harry said...” She stopped herself before she shared her most precious memory.

“Bella was my first word when I was six.” Harry freely admitted and Bella blushed.

“What? Not dada or mama or anything? It was Bella?” Lauren asked, surprised.

“No one else meant as much to me.” Harry said and Bella's face stayed red.

“Harry!” A guy said from twenty feet away and waved.

“Hey, Mike! I'll be right over.” Harry said. “Angela, I'm leaving Bella in your care. I should be back before they call assembly.”

“You go play with the fools and we'll keep Bella company.” Jessica said with a dismissive wave and you could almost see the wheels turning in her mind.

“Just don't make her suffer through the Spanish Inquisition.” Harry said and gave Bella a one arm hug. “I'll see you in a bit.”

Bella stared at him as he walked away and essentially abandoned her with people she didn't know.

“There he goes, turning heads and making waves.” Jessica said with a laugh as the guys with Mike all greeted him with slapped hands and handshakes. “If it wasn't for the cheap glasses and messy hair, I would have asked him out years ago.”

“Geez, judgmental much?” Bella asked and Angela and Lauren barked laughs.

“I am. I have certain standards that need to be upheld.” Jessica said with a haughty voice and smiled wickedly. “Mike is right up my alley. Well dressed, clean cut, and smart. He's going places.”

“What she's not saying is she's settling.” Lauren said and Jessica glared at her. “Hey, we all are, remember? The super hottie has rejected everyone that's asked.”

“Maybe his opinion will change with school starting.” Angela said and the other two laughed.

“You saw his car in the parking lot, didn't you? I doubt he's going to look at anyone except his family.” Jessica said. “There isn't anyone in this school that's even close to how good looking they are.”

Bella blinked her eyes at her words. How is that possible? A whole family of great looking people? Really?

“Shhh! Here they come.” Lauren hushed them and turned to look. Jessica, Angela, and Bella all turned to look as well. Bella gasped when she saw five of the most beautiful people she had ever seen. Three boys and two girls stalked through the crowds and everyone parted for them, as if they knew that they weren't worthy to block their path.

They looked like they were walking in slow motion as they came towards the front doors of the school and time seemed to slow down as they passed. One of the boys, easily the most handsome one, glanced at her and locked eyes with her.

New girl.

Bella heard someone whisper and her face hardened. She had lived here when she was a kid, so she wasn't new. Harry's words when introducing her to the guys on the reserve went through her mind then. 'It's more like returning girl'.

The guy staring at her averted his gaze and the moment passed, as did the five beautiful people.

“Who was that?” Bella asked before she could stop herself.

“That was the Cullen family.” Jessica said. “The muscle man is Emmett, the supermodel is Rosalie, the skinny guy is Jasper, the waif is Alice, and the hottie with the chiselled face is Edward.”

Edward. Bella thought. His name's Edward.

The bell rang and all of the students gathered to go through the front doors. Bella felt a small hand take hers in the crush of the crowd and she turned her head to see Angela's slight blush.

“Harry would never forgive me if I lost you on the first day.” Angela said.

Bella knew then that Angela cared a lot about Harry if she was willing to hold hands with a girl at school, even though she was really shy and didn't want anyone to know her business.

“Thanks.” Bella said and Angela smiled slightly as they followed the crowd into the large assembly hall. Angela led her over to Jessica, who had somehow been one of the first into the hall and had gotten front row seats.

“Whew, made it.” Harry said and while everyone was distracted, he kissed Angela's cheek.

“H-H-Harry!” Angela gasped and blushed harder.

“Isn't she cute?” Harry asked and jumped over the seats to sit behind them in the second row.

Bella held in her laugh at the look on Angela's bright red face. “Harry, you're going to embarrass the poor girl to death.”

“She just has to tell me to stop.” Harry said and leaned forward to put his face between Angela and Bella. “Or she can accept that I like her and we can go from there.”

Angela looked around and no one was paying attention to Harry's antics, so she took a breath and leaned in to give his cheek a quick kiss. Or so she thought. Harry saw her move and turned his head slightly to press his lips to hers instead. She looked shocked and Harry chuckled as he leaned back.

Bella couldn't help but laugh a little, because that was the oldest trick in the book. “He got you good.”

Angela glanced at Harry and sighed. “Yeah.”

“Your attention, please!” A man's voice said loudly and then there was a ear splitting hum from the microphone.

“Don't hold it so close.” The man next to him said.

“Yes, right.” The principal said and moved the microphone out. When he spoke, no one heard anything. He moved it back in and spoke. “Settle down, settle down.”

All of the students sat and the hundreds of conversations reduced to a dull roar.

“I'd like to welcome you all to...”

Nearly all of the students blocked out the droning speech the principal gave and sat there in their own little groups as they waited for their classes to be assigned. An hour later, Bella was quite relieved that she had her homeroom class with Harry, Angela, and Jessica. Lauren had missed out by one name and she was a little pissed about it.

“Don't worry. I got this.” Jessica said and took her friend's hand and canvassed the other students in our homeroom class. She found a guy that didn't care what class he was in, dragged him over to the vice principal, and had him and Lauren switch classes. Lauren had to agree to a date, though. She looked the guy over critically, nodded once, and the guy smiled at her and went on his way.

“Okay, even I have to admit that was pretty slick.” Harry said when Jessica and Lauren came back over to them and Jessica laughed.

“I told you.” Jessica preened at the praise.

“A date in exchange?” Bella asked.

Lauren shrugged. “It might turn out.”

“Remember to double your standards.” Jessica said. “A coerced date deserves nothing but more stringent critiques.”

Lauren gave her a sly smile and a nod. “He won't have an easy time, that's fore sure.”

Harry looked over at the guy and saw him glancing over. “He might surprise you.”

“I certainly hope so.” Lauren said. “I haven't had a good date in a while.”

“You and me both.” Jessica said. “Although...” She turned and saw Mike with his friends. She gave him a smile and bit her lip a little, then looked away. She didn't want to seem too eager, because she believed that a guy had to work for it if he thought he deserved her.

“Teachers, lead your classes to their home rooms and give them their class schedules.” The principal said over the speaker system and the assembly hall was quickly emptied.

“At least we didn't get Edward Cullen in our homeroom class.” Lauren said.

“What? Why?” Bella asked.

“They get all the attention.” Lauren said. “Our class would be constantly surrounded by their fans and we'll never get to our other classes.”

“The downside is we don't get to look at him every day.” Jessica said with a teasing note to her voice.

“Are you always about the looks?” Bella asked.

“It's the basis of all good relationships.” Jessica said.

“Huh?” Bella looked at her in confusion. “What do you mean? I thought...”

“Forget whatever you're going to say.” Jessica laughed as she sat down at the middle desk. “If you're not physically attracted to them right off the bat, there's no point in trying to force yourself to like them later.”

“But...”

“If you want to be unfulfilled and want to rely on imagining sleeping with other people while you're with them, go for it.” Lauren said and sat beside her friend. “We'd rather be honest right from the start.”

Angela sat at the desk behind them and Bella sat beside her.

“That's one outlook for a relationship I haven't heard before.” Harry said and sat at the desk next to Angela. “I can't say I strongly disagree, either.”

“Of course you can't. All of the girls you can see through your thick rimmed glasses are hot.” Jessica responded and Lauren laughed softly.

Harry thought about responding and sighed instead. He knew she was joking, and yet, he couldn't counter it. They really were the cheapest glasses he could get, because that was all he could afford. At least, until the paperwork for cancelling the alimony payments went through. Once that was off of Charlie's shoulders, their lives were going to improve by leaps and bounds. Harry glanced at Bella and saw that she was looking down at the desk with a slight blush on her face.

“I hope you picked your favorite seat, because that's your seat for the rest of the year.” The man said and three people immediately changed seats. He nodded to them and walked around the class as he wrote their names down on the seating plan.

Their class schedules were given out then and they were led out of the classroom for a tour. The homeroom teacher led them to each of their classes, even the individual classes that only a few of them were going to attend, like Bella's and Harry's biology lab on Wednesday. Their classes had been assigned based on their previous marks and subjects taken, so there was going to be a lot of cross traffic in the halls when the bell rang.

The tour ended as the lunch bell rang and the teacher told them that they had the afternoon to familiarize themselves with the school and the grounds.

“Come on, we have to try and get there before all the good meals are gone.” Jessica said and grabbed Bella's hand to lead her through the crowd. “Grab Angela.” She said to Lauren and the two girls followed Jessica.

Harry was left to fend for himself in the hallway. “Thanks a lot!” He said after them and Jessica laughed.

The girls grabbed their food and sat at the popular table, or what was going to become the popular table for the normal people. Bella laughed at Jessica's description until she pointed out a table across the cafeteria that seemed to be in its own space. That was where the Cullen family sat.

“It's Edward's first year. Emmett, Rosalie, Alice and Jasper have been here a year already. They always sit there, according to my friend's older brother.” Jessica explained.

“You sure know a lot.” Bella said.

“It's my job to keep up with the social statuses of everyone in town.” Jessica said.

“Can I sit here?” Harry asked as he came over with his food tray.

“No.” “No.” “Yes.” “Yes.” The four girls said at the same time.

“It's a tie, you lose.” Jessica said smugly,

Harry gave Angela a look with raised eyebrows and she blushed a little and didn't say anything. He shrugged and went to sit with the guys that had waved to him earlier. He was warmly welcomed there and Bella couldn't help but be a bit sad that he didn't sit anyway. She turned to look at Angela, who let out a sigh and picked at her food.

Bella didn't see Harry again until it was time to go home. He asked her how she liked the first fake day of school and she had to smile. “It was okay.”

“I hope Jessica didn't get on your nerves too much.” Harry said as they walked across the parking lot to the truck.

“Actually, I kind of liked her.” Bella said.

“Bella! No!” Harry gasped, exaggeratedly.

Bella laughed. “Thanks to your warning, I saw what she was doing and I can honestly say that she wasn't too demanding to know everything about me.”

“Define 'too demanding'.” Harry said and Bella smirked at him.

“Come on, Edward! We're waiting!” A musical voice said loudly.

Harry and Bella came to a stop about ten feet away from the truck, because Edward stood at the back of the sports car and leaned against it.

“I can't open the door safely.” Edward said.

“Oh, damn. I didn't look at the car's door.” Harry said with a sigh. “Bella, wait here.”

“No, I can...”

“Please, wait here.” Harry said and she saw the worried look on his face.

“Okay.” Bella said and watched as he went over to Edward. She couldn't hear their whispered words; but, she could see that it was a heated exchange after what she assumed was Harry's apology. She wondered what they were saying until the muscle guy named Emmett started to approach.

Harry immediately moved back from Edward to keep the both of them in view. After a few more tense words, and a hand from Edward on Emmett's shoulder, the big guy walked back to the others and Harry hopped into the truck. He backed out, careful of the fancy car and the people near them, and somehow turned the truck around within a space that a compact car would have trouble with.

Harry stopped the truck beside her. “Come on.”

Bella climbed in and Harry drove out of the parking lot. “What was all that about?”

Harry sighed. “I'm actually not allowed to tell you directly. It violates the Quileute tribe's treaty.”

“What? Why?” Bella asked.

“Native American secrets.” Harry said with a shrug.

Bella gave him a disbelieving look and he sighed.

“Just because I can't tell you directly, that doesn't mean you'll never find out on your own.” Harry said and then chuckled. “I can't believe I had to spell that out for you. Now I owe Jacob five dollars.”

Bella huffed in a perfect imitation of Jessica. “You're supposed to be honest from the start.”

Harry laughed. “Only a day and you can copy her so well? Bravo.”

“Thank you.” Bella said.

Silence fell in the truck and they didn't speak again until they arrived home.

“Do you want to help make supper?” Harry asked as they entered the house.

“Sure. What's on the menu?” Bella asked.

“Humble pie and a bit of crow.” Harry joked.

“Does Charlie eat a lot of that?” Bella asked with a smile.

“Only when I show him his words were wrong, so once a week.” Harry said and she laughed.

“I'm glad I can help.” Bella said and they got to work.

*

Later that night, after Charlie ate his words that Bella would never cook for them, Harry was busy carving a special shaman charm. He hadn't made one himself before; but, he recalled the lesson like he always did. He performed the ritual perfectly, added in the herbs and magical ingredients, then put it into the small ritual circle.

“Ancient spirits, heed my call. Grant the person that wears this, protection from the beasts that roam in the night. Embrace them and keep them safe from the Quileute tribe's ancient enemies.” Harry said in the native language and poured his considerable magic into the necklace to make it glow. The ritual circle was sucked into the charm and the magic snapped into place.

A wolf's howl cut through the silence of the night and he nodded at the success.

“Treaty or no treaty, I can't let them harm my Bella.” Harry promised.

57