Chapter One: Death’s Idea of a Joke
85 5 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Is this heaven?” I mumbled out hearing a strangely familiar sound. The sound of my blaring phone alarm at 7:30 am. Ironic. The supreme being must have his way at first timers.

I opened my eyes, hesitant from all my expectations of what “heaven” could be. It was… a stained cream-colored ceiling. Odd. It struck me as familiar, after all, that’s the ceiling I’ve been waking up to for the past… four years. Oh, was this hell?

My phone alarm continued.

I reached for it, and there it was, right where I always left it -- aha, the supreme being must be playing tricks on me. Maybe this was purgatory. I was just tested to see whether I’d pass to see the pearly gates of heaven.

Blinking, I turned off the alarm and blinked at my screen.

August 21, 2018, 7:30 am

I shook my head. This must be a joke. I unlocked my phone, there were several messages. From -- what I assume -- groupmates, mostly. I skimmed through. I didn’t have the exact memory of people, so I definitely didn’t have the skill to recall messages and when they were sent down to a T.

This wasn’t helping. I needed to figure things out. It was my graduation. I was shot walking away after bowing. I was shot in the chest. I… I died.

“Didn’t I?” I questioned myself, then right after, “I did,” I thought. I was unwaveringly and definitely sure of what happened.

I stood up, and my vision blurred for a split second. Then a… a screen, no, a hologram appeared before me. My eyebrows knitted.

[START]

I whispered, “Are you… are you the supreme being?” The screen flickered.

Beginner's Main Quest:

Welcome to the Unknown

Figure out your situation.

[Time limit: 24 hours]

I blinked once. Then twice. Then once more. The hologram didn’t fade. I moved my hands forward and tried to touch the hologram screen -- the holoscreen. My hand felt nothing but air. The holoscreen distorted to where I passed my hand. It was holographic alright.

My eyes searched the area for any random bugs that would emit the holoscreen. There were none that I could visibly see. I pinched my hand just to be extra sure. Only pain was felt.

I read the screen, “You are tasked to…” My brows knit. “This is unfair. I don’t understand that.”

I huffed and sat back on the bed, the holoscreen followed. I tried not to be super shocked, in case this was all some high-tech prank. The supreme being was having his fun with me, but fine. Alright.

“Just so we’re clear,” I voiced out loud enough for people to hear. “I’m just gonna play along.” I stretched the words slowly for emphasis.

Contemplating, I said, “Close.” The holoscreen disappeared. A curse escaped my lips. I looked around unsurely, and then mumbled, “Open.”

The holoscreen appeared, the same words written across the screen. I was downright amazed ...and wary.

“Just like a game,” I whispered to myself. “Am I in a game?” I laughed and shook my head. “No, definitely impossible. I’m--” Then the holoscreen blinked.

Beginner's Main Quest:

Welcome to the Unknown

Mission Accomplished

[Welcome, Quinn]

“--supposed to be in heaven.” I said weakly staring at the screen. I sat there, for a while. Staring at my first ‘Mission Accomplished.’ I was supposed to be happy with this, right? Right?

I put my hand against my mouth. My mind was doing jumping jacks and running laps at the same time. How? Might as well add that to the list of things I don’t know since everything is just dying to get in that list. Then… all came to a halt as my mind suddenly thought, “I was supposed to be a lot of things by now.”

I’m supposed to be in heaven. I’m supposed to be dead. I’m supposed to be unemployed… but here I am in my dingy college unit...

Facing a holoscreen.

“Nothing can ever faze me!” I said triumphantly, standing with my fist held high.

Skill Unlocked: Idiot's Mind

Nothing can ever faze an idiot like you.

[Level 1]

Dumbfounded. I was just dumb… founded. I’ve barely scratched the surface of where I am or what I needed to do.

My phone chimed, cutting off my thoughts. I fished for my phone from the bed, it was from Blake. Blake, my college buddy, also existed in this world. The thought was mildly comforting.

Blake: Class is about to start

Blake: wru?

I wasn’t sure how to reply. I don’t even remember which class he was talking about. I stared at the holoscreen as it typed out.

New Subquest: Don't Be Late

Head to class before class starts.

Completion Award:

+50 Experience

+1 Major Beginner Chest

Failure:

+0 Experience

+1 Minor Beginner Chest

 

Do you accept?

[Yes]      [No]

I checked my phone. It was 10 minutes before 8:00. I was very much interested in the awards... I stared back at the screen and reached out to tap ‘Yes’. The quest activated.

Subquest: Don’t Be Late

[Time: 9:38]

Rush grew within me. I instinctively waved my hand across the screen, and it closed. I looked at my hand and shook the surprise away. I changed my clothes into whatever I could find in my closet: worn-out jeans and a grey hoodie. I slipped on socks and shoes as quickly as I could manage. Barely managing to lock the door, I ran out.

The time blinked underneath my eyelids, as my feet thrudded down the empty staircase.

[Time: 6:10]

I instinctively ran across the field, turning left and right through the small paths that lead to my college. My heart pounded in my chest. Spotting the three-story college, I couldn’t help but sigh in relief.

I closed my eyes.

[Time: 2:04]

I stepped inside the college doors and raised my hands triumphantly. I closed my eyes and the timer didn’t stop.

“Shit,” I thought. I patted my jeans for my phone--I forgot it in my college dorm. My thoughts tried to conjure up my routine back in 2018, only to end up recalling bits and pieces of unnecessary memories unrelated to academics. And those that were related to academics, didn’t really focus on the schedule.

I gritted my teeth and headed upstairs. I wasn’t panicking per se, but it was the feeling of ‘I don’t want to lose to this stupid quest’ that kept me going. I looked through the rooms on the first floor, and by the third room, before I could even open the door, the holoscreen appeared.

Subquest: Don't Be Late

[Time: 0:00]

SUBQUEST FAILED

+0 Experience

+1 Minor Beginner Chest

The red light wasn’t really enticing. I sighed as the screen blinked:

[Open: +1 Minor Beginner Chest]

Contents:

+1 minor health potion

+1 minor mana potion

[added to bag]

“Huh?” I thought about the minor rewards. Suddenly, someone behind me cleared their throat, snapping me away from my thoughts. I looked up seeing… someone who used to be my professor.

“Good morning, Mr. Grayson.” He stared at me unimpressed.

I grinned stiffly, “Morning, Sir.”

We stood there, uncomfortably and awkwardly staring at each other for a moment. It was a bad time to realize that the holoscreen passed right through his belly.

He spoke before I could say anything, “Mr. Grayson, if you would kindly move so we could head on to class…” He gestured towards the door behind me.

I nodded, “Ah yes.” I nodded again as I opened the door, aiding him to enter. “Yes, Sir.”

It was something I didn’t expect, but I wasn’t surprised at. Above my professor’s head, floated his name and level.

<Professor>

Edward Clayton

Level 5

I turned towards the class, and everyone had floating labels above their heads. All had different levels. It didn’t make sense. These were a lot to take in.

“Mr. Grayson?” Sir raised his brow towards me, liketqly exasperated.

I apologized and scuttled down towards the row where Blake was staring. He was obviously unimpressed with me. I sat beside him, confusion clouding my mind. As soon as I did, the lecture started. But my thoughts were drowning with questions, I couldn’t even decide where to start.

“What happened to you?” He hissed. “I even told Era to call you.”

I looked at him, “I think I’m going crazy.”

Nonplussed, Blake sighed, “Have you finished the project?”

<3rd Year Student>

Blake Addams

Level 7

“I’m so confused,” I mumbled and gestured over my head, “What does mine say?”

“What?”

I pointed at the space above my head, “What does mine say?”

Blake looked at me with absolute confusion, “What are you talking about?”

“Mr. Grayson, if you’re more interested in your head than in today’s lecture,” Sir Edward called out from the front of the class, “you’re more than welcome to step out.”

The class echoed giggles and snickers. I grinned apologetically. “Sorry.”

He sighed and continued on with the lecture. Blake glanced sideways at me, but faced the board taking notes on his laptop as he listened.

I remained silent. Blake didn’t seem like he could see the name on our heads. The professor confirmed that much. It didn’t help the current situation I was in. I tried to pattern it out in my head.

The holoscreen appeared with a short notification.

[Diligent concentration increases INT skill by 1]

“INT?” I wondered, “Intelligence?”

I wondered, looking at others. I was able to tell information associated with them on the floating label. With this, it would be highly possible that there’s a skill window… right? In an actual game, it would be called...

I whispered, “Status.”

The hologram shifted to what looked to be as… my status.

Name Quinn Grayson
Class  
Level 4
HP  80/80
MP 40/40
Strength 9
Vitality 7
Dexterity 9
Intelligence 9
Wisdom 8
Agility 7
Skill Points 0
Money $750

“Holy shit,” I whispered, loud enough for my classmates to turn their heads towards me questioningly. I gritted my teeth and fisted my hands.

Blake looked at me, “You alright?”

“Yeah,” I muttered looking through the status. “I’m just disappointed at my level.” I finished with my thoughts. “Any lower and I’d probably get mauled by a slime.” I shuddered at the thought.

I whispered to Blake, “Do you see this?” I gestured towards the holoscreen.

“I…” He drifted off, I felt an ounce of hope, “I see that Edward’s going to send us a warning.” His face directed to his laptop.

I turned towards the front.

So, Blake can’t see it. When he stares from my angle, the holoscreen should've blocked his view. He shouldn’t have been able to see Sir Edward, but he did. It didn’t string together the reality I was experiencing, but it did make one thing clear. I was in a game-like reality.

Thank you so much for staying through the chapter. Comments and feedback are very much appreciated! 

7