: Ch 3 : Sweet dreams
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Griffin]

[Hybrid creature combination of bird and mammal]

:

:

:

It was a very beautiful day that day, especially for the two siblings and all the employees at the restaurant. The skies were mostly grey, threatening to rain down at any second, but to them it may as well have been the sunniest day of them all. 

The adorable brother sister duo spent the whole day having fun playing around with each other, and before they could even realize, the sun was setting and they had to go back home to sleep. 

They quickly made their way back to their little run-down house as there is an enforced curfew in the city and they don't want to get in trouble. They've no doubt heard the many scary stories told by adults as to what happens to any naughty children that stay out too late.

As they make themselves comfortable in their shared bed and blanket, Atsumi took the opportunity to cuddle into the lap of the elder sister.

Atsumi: "Hey big sis, can you tell me another story? One of the ones mom used to tell you?"

Mei: "Of course my cute little hero." She stated as she adjusted her position to be more comfortable for the small black haired child. "Which one do you want to hear tonight?"

Atsumi: "Hmm..." he pondered, putting his hand on his chin with a thoughtful expression on his face, looking exceptionally adorable to the blonde haired young lady. "I really liked the one about the purple-eyed lady who fought the evil clone of herself with her friends, but I also really really like the one about the long necked dinosaur..."

Mei: "Well how about I tell you a new story?"

Atsumi: "There are more?! But, you already know like, a hundred of them!" He stated. Somehow his big sister always seems to know so much, and every time he thinks he's heard it all, she brings up something just as amazing and interesting as the last. Once again his belief that his big sister is unbelievably amazing is reinforced.

Mei: "Yep, there's so much more. I made sure to memorize each and every story she told me. All the things she taught me, I'm going to spend the rest of my life making sure you never forget!" Mei chuckled as she looked fondly at the two glistening black orbs that seemed completely enraptured with everything she said. She adores the way he looks at her, his expression showing him trying to absorb every last detail of her words, committing them to memory in much the same way she did to their mother when she was alive. She doesn't get tired of telling him this either.

There was much to tell the young boy. Mei will never forget a single word her mother told her, and it was times that she thought things like this that she realized yet again how brilliantly her mother prepared her to teach her sibling, instilling endless knowledge and skills in the short time she had with her, knowing that her time was limited in this world. 

She knew her mother was amazing, having a seemingly infinite pool of knowledge about anything and everything, from the way the ant colonies acted, to the origin of how stars were formed. Even questions that she originally thought had no answers did, like that the reason the sky is blue is because light makes colors that bounce off everything into our eyes. 

Mei may not understand why all the things she now knows are the way they are, but she understands the importance of knowledge, so she always made sure to never forget anything her mother said.

Mother never told her about her own parents or siblings if she had any, nor about where she came from or why she knew everything she did. Mei had always guessed that maybe mother was from the future or something, given how she sometimes said things that didn't make sense and her being from the future is what allows most of the things she says to make sense.

Or at least, that's her theory. 

Mother wasn't lying though, and she wasn't sick in the way some people said she was. Mei would know, it was always easy to tell when mother was telling the truth or not given how terrible a liar she was. 

It was easy to see how the way her body was a little off whenever she said she was okay when her health was clearly deteriorating. Or whenever she said she was happy but her smile didn't quite reach her eyes. 

But whenever she taught Mei, going on and on about the adventures of Sinbad or Alexander the Great's conquest across the world, she seemed so incredibly happy. 

It was during the times she went into astounding detail about describing literally anything that she looked truly alive, as if she felt her sole purpose for existing was to share knowledge.

And sometimes Mei thought so too, as the immense amount of things she told her was enough to satiate the curiosity of ten of herself! 

She never got tired of learning new things. She would hate herself for even thinking of getting tired of it, for fear of how it might devastate her mother. She was always so beautiful when she smiled, that it almost pains her to see that spitting image of her staring right back up at her in small adorable child form.

Mei could only pray that her little brother, her sole reason for living, saw something similar when she smiled for him.

It didn't take long for Mei to go into great detail about how an orange boy went on to save the world. By the time she reached halfway into the first stopping point, Atsumi was softly breathing into a deep slumber.

She knew she could stop when she heard him softly talking in his sleep like he usually does. Though it's what he said specifically that managed to catch her off guard.

Atsumi: "Big sih... wiss I... beauty ah you umday..."

Her heart nearly melted right then and there.

Mei: 'You're just too precious!!!' "Oh I wish you would stay this cute forever..." she said as she hugged him close to her and slowly began to fall asleep herself, not noticing how he had reacted to her saying that, signifying he heard her.

And with that, the two siblings' day had ended.

:

:

:

The sun had just finished setting, leaving the sky almost black. It was at this time a man dressed in traditional Japanese clothing had just entered a room, looking toward a desk with a lamp and the individual dressed in an expensive suit sitting behind it.

???: "Hello Mr. Janesworth. I've been meaning to talk to you. I'm sure you've received my letters?" The man entering the room says as the one sitting down looks him in the eye with a straight face.

Janesworth: "You know I don't read letters, Mr. Han. Please have a seat, but if you're here to discuss what I think you are..." he says as his eyes turn sharp "...then you'd best choose your next words wisely." 

Han: 'Haha, Sharp and scary as always.' He thinks as he sits down with a business smile. "To the point as usual then? Alright, I won't take too much of your time. Though as this city's overseer, it should be the other way around, I just hope you understand that you should be the person who has my position. 

After all, you've done so much for this city..." He then gets up and slowly walks over to the window to the left, resting an arm on it in a relaxed manner and looking over the city. "...and all the advancements we've made wouldve never been possible without you. The living situation of the average citizen has increased drastically and we are flourishing with prosperity." He states as he turns to face Janesworth again.

"And that brings me to why I'm here tonight. You see we will have to do something about that dirty old shack in the most successful part of our city..."

It was at this moment that Janesworth frowned, letting his anger show through.

Janesworth: "You know I absolutely will not go back on my word, so if you touch those kids..."

Han: Shifting his position, he makes his movements very open and non-hostile. "Ah, I can see you misunderstand. No need to get angry. What I mean is, we want to replace their house with a newer model to match the surroundings and make it more pleasing to the eye. You see, we are doing this will make a more complete environment, hoping to improve the level of happiness and mental state of the people living there as well as the people passing through. Not to mention that it's much less of a fire hazard. The kids will have complete ownership of the place just as they inherited it from their mother. It's a complete upgrade to their living situation, and the city is paying for it completely, no need to think about rent or anything like that either. This is a gift for everything that you've done."

Upon hearing that, Janesworth retracted his anger and instead switched to caution. 

Janesworth: "And the real reason for such generosity is?"

Han: "Oh please, don't be like that. It really is just a thank you for all you've done for the city! And besides, your generosity is much greater when compared to what we've just done, given everything you did for those kids and their mother."

Janesworth: "I'm just keeping my word. Nothing to boast about." He stated, pushing up his glasses to hide his flustered state at his misunderstanding and the sudden received praise. 

Han: 'Such a tsundere...' "No need to be so modest. You fit in wonderfully with this city, as we who are in control of it aren't greedy selfish idiots who don't care about the people like some of our neighboring territories, and instead prefer to work constructively with others to create friendly relationships. I can speak with confidence when I say that as the elected representative of this city, we are incredibly indebted to you." He says proudly with a bow of thanks.

Janesworth: "Alright alright, enough. I've had enough of your attempts at stroking my ego, and it's grossing me out. You've already said what you arrived here to say, so get out of my office." 'sigh* this man... how can someone have such a personality and yet also be driven purely by benefits? So weird...' He thinks as he almost lets himself smile.

Han: "Hahaha, alright. I'll be taking my leave then." 

And with that, Han the City Overseer began to leave, thinking he managed to deal with the infamous overprotective cook pretty well. Then just as his hand was on the door handle, a loud bang resounded throughout the city as another ringing soon followed after, leaving shock on the two men's faces.

It was the city's alarm. They were being raided.

0