Chapter 21: Blast From the Past
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

6 years ago 

" Honey don’t worry so much, it’s bad for you.” I hear my mother’s calming voice say.

" Our daughter not shifting is bad for me and my position, people don’t respect me as much anymore because of her. I love her to death honey, but she needs to shift in order to restore stability and trust to my position.”

" I -” my mother stops speaking,” Never mind.”

" What was it, what were you going to say ?”

" Well, I heard of stories where the mating bond ceremony caused women to shift.” She whispered.

There was complete silence until my father spoke again,” Then what are we waiting for ?”

My mother swallowed harshly,” Dear, you can’t be serious, if anything goes wrong -”

" Then nothing will!” My father booms.

" This is our daughter we’re talking about!” My mother yells,” Our daughter.” She mutters,” I won’t have this done. It’s not fair to her.”

" Life isn’t fair. It’s better she learns this earlier rather than later.” He growls,” If it were fair, I’d be mated to someone else!”

I was shaking with bottled up anger that had no way of release.

" Don’t be cruel. We’ll talk about this tomorrow when I’m calmer.” My mother stands up from the chair she was sitting in,” Sleep on the couch tonight.”

" Honey, I didn’t mean . . . ”

My mother spins around to face him,” You aren’t . . . I know you aren’t going to try and justify yourself right now. I know you love our child very much but this obsession you have with power seems to receive more of that love than she does. She is not a pawn, she is not some object you can control however you please, she is a person and more importantly she is your daughter. Think about what you’ve said.”

My father remains silent as my mother exits the room and slams the door behind her. She inhales sharply before sighing and pressing two fingers to her forehead.

" You weren’t meant to hear that.” My mother whispers,” You didn’t deserve this, I’m so sorry.”

I creep further behind the bathroom door I was hiding behind.

" Honey, come on out. It’s no use hiding. Let’s talk about this.”

I slowly drag my feet as I push the door open and walk to my mother with my head down.

" Don’t worry, I won’t let him force you to do anything you don’t want to.” She caresses my cheek with her hand softly.

I turn my head away from her hand,” I’ll do it.”

My mother dryly laughs,” What ?”

I hate him.

" I’ll get married or whatever.” I mumble,” That’ll make things better, right ?”

" No. No, don’t say that. Nothing needs to be fixed, everything is fine as it is.” She whispers.

She's lying.

" No it’s not.” I mutter.

" Yes -”

" No it isn’t! If everything was fine, you and dad wouldn’t be fighting like this!” I yell,” I don’t care what it is, I’ll do it.”

I hate him.

My mother bent over and hugged me with her chin in my collarbone,” Don’t do this to yourself. Don’t put up this act of nonchalance like you don’t care. You’re my princess, you’re only 15, don’t let him do this.”

" I do care.” I say.

" No you don’t - or at least right now you don’t - if you allow your father to make this decision for you. Become someone you are proud of, don’t let what you are consume you. You are more than part of the pack, you’re more than a wolf, you are my daughter and - and I’m lecturing you again.” She groans as she rolls her eyes and glances back at me,” Just don’t forget who you are. Never let someone else tell you who you are, okay?”

" Yes, mother.”

" And don’t let anyone, not even your mate, order you around or make you think you’re worthless.” She says sternly.

" Don’t worry, I won’t.”

Because I don’t need a mate.

They cause pain to the person they’re supposed to love without realizing it.

They’re greedy.

They assume you want to be with them.

They’re all the same.

They’re all just like him.

Something in the back of my mind whimpers quietly, but I ignore it.

“I wish father was dead.” I say.

My mother’s eyes widen as she gasps in shock.

" Never say that again!” She yells.

She grabs my shoulders and shakes me softly,” Please . . . for me, just don’t . . . ”

He doesn’t deserve you, but you’re so blinded by the mating bond that you can’t see it.

I stare at her mark.

" Okay, mom, I won’t.” I say quietly.

829 words

0