Chapter 141: Open Sky
40 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The gentle wave lapped gently on the bank of a sandy beach. One person walked among such an idyllic scene: a man dressed in black trouser and a white cotton. It was an uncharacteristic attire for vacation, but those clothes were specially woven. An obvious fact given that Remus Breaker was the one wearing it.

Rem stopped walking near the cliff and walked through the illusion hiding their secret project.

What waited behind that rock was a hollowed-out cliff; engineered as a massive construction cavern. It housed Horizon Dawn's new home and Alcra Shaxter’s pet project even PALISADE knew nothing about. Ehto spent years building this in his spare times, and Horizon Dawn aimed to finish this monumental achievement.

Open Sky

Overtechnology was an understatement to describe what it was. An interdimensional, all-purpose, all-terrain expedition-ship meant to explore the multiverse. People could be forgiven to think Alcra Shacter had a pot of Marijuana hidden in the safe under his bed after reading the blueprint detailing a super-dimension engine that would enable multiversal transportation. Anyone who knew Alcra as a person would question the weapons on the ship. An electrical engineer would throw a book as a project and ask about a generator that could create enough power to fuel the entire vehicle.

It was Alcra’s pipe dream Ehto estimated to cost 200-years of investment given the current rate of magical technology progress on Phantasia.

But Ehto didn’t expect the raw talent of assembled by the Dawn.

“How is it going?” Rem asked the project manager.

“Slower that expected but marching along nicely,” Cytortia stir a soup of bio-matter. “Yep. Help me pour this into the fuel-rod.”

The first problem with Open Sky was power. No generator existed that could power a mansion-size spaceship with multiverse-leaping capability and weaponry. Portable fuel might work, but carrying that along on a prolong journey wasn’t workable. There was also a logistic problem. Greater the distance traveled meant more fuel, which translated heavier weight. It was such a conundrum that kept space exploration a pain in the collective ass of humanity.

Luckily, they got True Magic.

Mana wasn’t infinite energy with a similar limitation as conventional fuel. The Dawn spent three hours of debate and torched a Mana generator as a solution. Instead, it was Rem who proposed the solution.

Turn the ship into pseudo-True Magic user. Instead of burning Mana like fuels, used it to siphon energy from the Multiverse to run the ship.

If Rem was the father of this idea, Cytortia acted as a mother. She spent times collecting and testing the Mana compatibility of a single-cell life-form and created a bio-soup capable of siphoning Mana.

A pseudo multiverse-energy capacitor, if you will.

“According to calculation, we need around 20000 unit of these little guys to fill the reactor chamber.” Melody said, carting the trolly containers for the ritual of labour. “Now according to the design Ehto and I create, we need to create a method to funnel this energy into an arcane which would act as the power generator.”

And that was when Luxinna came in.

“Guys,” she tossed a plate of [Static Glass]. “Would this be, okay? Please told me it is okay. It take an entire week for Ehto and me to create this.”

Cytortia started measuring the plate.

“Yep. Wow, I don’t know what I would do without [Static Glass],” Cytortia said. “All those researches about using Magic stone and Mana battery to supply energy and we are outright cheating.”

“Assembly time?” Ehto’s electronic voice rang.

“Yes, assembly time,” Rem said with glassy eyes. “Are we sure we need to fill and fit twenty thousand of them.”

Cytortia didn’t look that enthusiastic, either. The material cost was hitting their budget like a dropping anvil.

The first Open Sky ship, Daybreak, was 24 meters-tall expedition-ship built as part-mansion, part-battleship. Near the tail, taking the entire three floors of height, was the spherical cavern which would house the bio-generator units.

“Guys, keep the morale high. We are about a percent done,” Rem let loose a motivation speech.

“Stop. Don’t give me hope,” Cytortia said, nearly bored to death by the repetitive labor.

“If you have time to complain, keep working,” Melody — who appeared to be the hardiest of the bunch — yelled.

It was a group effort. Ehto worked overtime to 3D printed the housing and container for each unit. The group then laboriously screwed each bio-unit until all 20000 green tubes went into its housing. These were done with telekinesis, drones and by hands; taking about 3 days in total. In the end, the entire room was covered with green cannister from wall, floor and ceiling like an exhibition room of an alien with a mad collecting hobby.

“Okay, you turn, Luxinna,” Cytortia gestured.

The elf stretched; recalled the properties of the static glass she wanted and the coated the entire room with it.

The product was an alien-looking cavern coated with the forest of countless glass shard poking out of the ground and ceiling. They all shined like golds, but this process wasn’t complete yet.

“Melody, Cytortia, links with me,” Rem said

“[Anima Enchanting],” Melody said and started laying down the enchant to change the fundamental behavior of the glass. 

Rem performed a mind-link with the biological life in the bio-soup buried inside the glass with Cytortia’s [Bio Empathy] as a medium. It was a simple command that made them a part of Melody’s enchantment, therefore gave them the ability to channel the power current in the multiverse with Mana.

The mechanism of the generator was simple. This cavern used the bio-life-form to produce electricity by channeling power through static glass and forced the charge carrier to move and generate electric current; winning the design contest with sheer simplicity, weight efficiency and being effectively emission free.

Finally, Melody completed their handwork by connecting the generator control to a command system on the ship bridge.

“Okay, Ehto,” Melody stretched to ease her cramp after a solid minute of complex enchanting. “Power-up our baby.”

The golden cavern lighted like a heart of stars, transferring power throughout the ship.

“And that is just one room,” Rem dreaded. “Let have a meeting before we continue.”

Congress of Hope met as per usual.

In case you were wondering, no, Horizon Dawn convention wasn’t done in a meeting room. Calling it official was an affront to ceremony of every kind. The Congress of Hope met inside Daybreak’s Rec room. Each member sat around the dinning table with exception of Ehto who was placed on the tabletop as an orb connected to the speaker.

The rec room was right next to the living quarter and took a sizable portion of Daybreak’s third floor. Dimension manipulating technology allowed the room to be more spacious than anyone expected. The specification included a massive bar and kitchen by the corner, a circular living-quarter with decent furnishing, lighting and a great window side view. Ehto and Rem even added a smart-wall for strategic meeting. Hell, they even planned to buy several game-console to connect to the massive television set. Luxinna and Melody couldn’t wait to duke it out in Mario Kart.

But currently, the room comprised partially done marble flooring and a roll of carpet leaning against the well. None of them got True Magic that could conjure furniture from atmospheric nitrogen gas and thus begrudgingly outsourced the furnishing to the local carpenter and showroom. On the upside, Rem and Cytortia found a perfect table with a matching set of lower-back support guaranteed chair.

In that sparse room decorated only by dust and dining table, six knights of the Center Force discussed how to save the world with obviously unhealthy amount of cola from the stock Rem got from his buddy, Aleksei Martynov.

“First order of business,” Rem led the meeting. “Let us reviewed the order we got after PALISADE incident.”

Said meeting happened during their teleportation away from the crime-scene.

Horizon Dawn and Ehto founded themselves on the multicolor platform. A familiar woman with healthy tanned sat behind a tea-table with dessert and refreshment ready to greet them.

“Welcome, my kiddo,” Satholia greeted them. “Job well done. Please sit.”

“Who is she?” Ehto cried in alarm. “How did she intercept the teleportation?”

“She is our boss,” Rem answered as he walked to the tea-table and took his seat. “And she can intercept our teleportation because she is the closest thing to omnipotent.”

“Well, I wouldn’t call myself omnipotent,” Satholia said. “Me and WORLD are restricted because—”

“Because if you entered the fray directly, fabric of reality goes kaboom,” Luxinna said, taking her seat.

“Luxinna dear, it is rude to interrupt people's conversation,” Satholia started pouring them drinks. “But you aren’t wrong.”

Soon everyone was seated at the table.

Melody sipped her drink.

“Wow.”

“Yes, liquid optimism always does the trick,” Satholia winked.

“So, what is going on,” Hikma said. “The only member you ever invite to this domain is Rem.”

“Hikma, I am not someone who plays favorite. Rem’s invitation is done because I want to keep Scathach’s interference out of the Dawn as much as possible. No offense to you, but Rem is the most tightlipped of you all. And PALISADE was such an urgent threat, he required the immediate attention even if it meant sending out a communication when the Malice is wire-tapping.”

“Brother?” Ehto asked the first thing ever in this meeting.

“Ehto, I know this may hurt, but your brother is about a yard away from launching a crippling continent-span campaign,” Satholia said. “The army he would create will be too much for Horizon Dawn to handle and the risk of it snowballing is intolerable.” Satholia placed a crystal shard near Ehto. “This is solidified Akasha code, I believe it would be quite a nice snack for Astral life-forms. Take it as a token of my gratitude for holding the fort so long against PALISADE.”

Ehto could feel his Astral body melting in bliss in the proximation of the revitalizing radiation.

“It is incredible. Is this what a spa feel like?” 

Rem whistled.

“Venistalis and PALISADE,” Rem said. “Two apocalyptic threats back-to-back, and homegrown to boot. The Malice must be a laughing at us.” 

Satholia rolled her eyes.

“Like you wouldn’t believe,” the Queen of good complained. “I can hear that guy busting his side all the way from the other-side of the aisle.” Satholia then suddenly flashed a grin. “But I have some good news, my knight, my children, the time for playing catch-up is over. I need to report some success at my end. After several months of authority arm-wrestling, both the Center Force’s and the Malice’s [Clairvoyance] are mutually impaired. Neither the World Enemy nor me got a clear vision on the future anymore.”

“So, both of you are our enemy are blinded,” Cytortia stuffed the cookie in her mouth and looked at the plate with worship.

“This is the formula for the cookie, my dear,” Satholia answered the former goddess’ inner wish with a sheet of paper. “Yes, but unlike Malice, I still have my eye on the ground: you. We also get another benefit. Now that the veil affecting the future had been lowered, the ramification from my intervention has been lowered. We are all in uncharted territory—all of us.”

“Is the World Enemy coming?” Rem groaned. “We can’t fight off the Primordials.”

“That would a be obvious the strategic play,” Satholia nodded. “But lucky for us, the Ancient sacrificed their entire civilization to put up a seal to stop exactly that from happening.”

“Wow,” Melody was slack-jawed. “The Archeologist are beating each other over how the ancient went out and you know the truth all along.”

“Melody dear, I am the queen of Malice’s greatest enemy, I know more about them than anyone,” Satholia said. “To put it simply, the real big gun on the opposing side can’t penetrate the core of Phantasia. Don’t relax because the seal won’t last much longer, but we still have time and buffer. Yes, we need to clean the wall or later, but you are nowhere strong enough to fix it. But that doesn’t mean the small fries can’t evade through the gap.”

Rem sipped his drink.

“You said catch-up time is over,” Rem recalled. “What do you mean?”

“It means we can now pursue our aim,” the Queen of Center Force declared. “This breathing room provides time to clean house. But first, I would like to welcome the child of Alcra Shaxter to our fold. ”

There was a round of applause from the surrounding.

“I am pleased to be invited,” Ehto looked uncomfortable as an AI. “But why do you want to recruit me? And what you are even recruit me for?”

“Remus, make a short introduction.”

Rem cleared his throat.

“We are a recently created secret order, dedicate to defending the freedom, lives and peace of Phantasia and multiverse. Sponsor directly a pan-cosmic force that represents all good that exists. And we would like to invite you as a candidate and heir of Alcra Shaxter into our fold.”

“I am pleased with the invitation, but I the best I can be is an intelligence network.”

“No need to worry,” Satholia waved. “Melody, after this little meeting introduce Ehto to True Magic 101.”

“Wait, he can use it?” Melody pointed at the orb.

“I can’t use Mana,” Ehto tried to convince himself.

“As long as he has a soul he can wield our power,” Satholia declared. “But will you accept the invitation into our club?”

“Yes… I have nowhere to go anyway.”

“Excellent!” Satholia beamed, but her eyes were serious. “Now, my knight, for our next target. It is time to pry the Heavenly Daughter’s grip away Tengen Continent.”

Stun silence followed.

“You want us to fight Tai Hua and LinLey?” Cytortia’s mouth hung open. “Lady Satholia, they have entire continent under their fingers.”

“That why they must be removed,” Satholia was firm. “The human cost for their conflict was too sickening for a spat. Tengen also contains those blasted Fair Folks.”

“The fairy,” Hikma cringed. “It is the classic, pre-Disney fairy, right?”

“Hikma dear, that is why I said we need to secure Tengen.”

Hikma, who understood the history of the fae sank into his chair. Rem, who heard the rumors, also groaned.

“Guys, what is wrong with fairies?” Luxinna looked up from the cake she was chowing down.

“Think a mean kid who amuses themselves by causing massive, rampant inhumane mischief because they are alien to basic moral,” Hikma thought about the damage report. “Are we sure this wasn’t a crisis? How far are we until the Wild Hunt comes knocking.”

“The seal to the Fearie Realm won’t come down soon,” Satholia confirmed. “But it was neighboring Starland and Frisnia.”

“Which is the battleground of Tai Hua and LinLey?” Cytortia facepalmed. “We can’t take the risk of them letting those bugger out.”

“Now, you understand why we must move to secure Tengen Continent,” Satholia said. “Centurion, Frisnia and Starland; we must salvage those three hotspots of instability. This mission won’t be easy. We need to dethrone local jackasses and foreign interests exploiting the chaos. Several S-class threats will also be presented in an area. It will be a long road until justice is restored.”

“One problem,” Rem said. “How do we infiltrate Tengen? And who do we knock down first?”

“We will infiltrate with Open Sky.”

“You knew about Open Sky?” Ehto nearly choke on the data juice.

“Ehto dear, anything short of pan-cosmic entity cannot block my sight. Yes, I know the Open Sky is pretty much skeleton, but the resource we have and material left behind by Alcra will be enough to get it to operating order for us to port at Centurion.”

“But it will take months!” Ehto yelled.

“3 months to be exact,” Satholia said. “Which is set our deadline to New Year's Eve. In fact, this period is a good opportunity.”

Satholia stood and addressed her knights.

“In Tengen, you will face armies with the strength of six individuals. This is not counting the S-class and those fucking fairies You might struggle to this point on Scathach’s training and self-teaching, but that won’t be enough for Tengen. Thankfully, the weakening of future sight from all pan-cosmic’s entity finally allows me to have a ramification-free interaction with you all.”

She audibly cracked her duty.

“The barrier stopping me from living to my obligation as your leader has died. You WILL triumph against the coming threat, my knight, because from this day forth, I will be supervising your training personally.”

2