Chapter 7: The History Biggest Idiot.
233 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lucian Drakokia was an old elf with black Stalin's mustache. A younger elf in traditional paladin's gears accompanied him closely. Finally, a black-hair elf holding the air of arrogance gaudier than the jewelry she wore walked into the room. The entire party was wearing a traditional elven blue.

Two bodyguards flanked visitors, intimidating the servant as if like wolves among a flock of sheep.

Cytortia tried to avert her eyes from the gaudiness. Somehow, despite wearing that joke armor, she managed to retain some dignity. Scathach, in her badger disguise, sharpened a broad-head spear in the loudest way possible. Her beady eyes contained nothing but a void that was once mercy.

Hidden behind his mask, Rem contemplated all the possible ways to eliminate these problems. Up to now, he came up with thirty-seven, and he was barely getting started.

On the sofa, away from the action, Avar was immensely enjoying his popcorn.

"Greetings, Lady Cytotia," said the mustache elf. "It's-"

"Silence," Rem stole the elf momentum in a masterful streak. "You are in the presence of exalted goddess Cytortia, mentee of the universe most brutal Honey Badger."

"Excuse me, I am-" Lucian said, his composure slipping.

Rem was severely disappointed.

"Please remain silent," Rem snubbed him politely. "You will talk in turn like civilize gentlemen, or our royal badger will teach you manners."

Rem nodded to the right.

Lucian and their party turned to see a Scathath grinding a buster sword triple her current size.

Lucian began laughing. He arched back crackling as if this was one massive joke.

Sadly, for the old elf, the badger wasn't in a laughing mood.

Chunk!

A massive sword impaled itself above Lucian's head. A very pale elf turned to look at a badger caressing an enormous spike mace. The patriarch gulped. His instinct told him that the badger hated his attitude, and bodyguards or not, what the badger hated would end in a trash compactor. 

Behind him, the blond elf reached for his weapon as his awareness caught up to the hostility. Meanwhile, the black-hair elf sweated before the surprise attack in a mixture of fear and confusion.

The masked boy decided to shatter the tension.

"Excuse me, Gentlemen and Mademoiselle, please be calm. Our companion is touchy that no one can take her seriously." Rem slightly parted his fingers to show the tininess of said sensitivity. "As much as this intrusion is unwelcome, we will honor the code of hospitality. But please be aware that the courtesy will vanish the moment the badger threw a tantrum. My word of advice to you, Lord Drakokia: silence is a good civilization."

Lucian glared at Rem. But by the power of unlikely teamwork, Cytortia coughed, shifting his attention back to her.

Rem nodded and poured a cup of water before offering it to the goddess.

Cytortia slurped the water down in a long gulp.

Silence, no one dares to speak. The blonde elf's eyes twitched dangerously. The black-hair girl's expression transparently told everyone she regretted coming.

Rem smirked. Smart girl. Woefully, she evolved her brain a bit too late into the game. On the metaphorical bench, the guard started thinking whether or not they should ask for a raise.

Cytortia finished gulping down the liquid and handed the glass to Rem, who tossed the glassware over his shoulder.

Smash!

Every elf but Avar drew their weapon. Cytortia's straight face nearly collapsed from Rem's improvisation. Meanwhile, Scathach and Avar barely twitched.

"Excuse my rudeness, but this unwelcome snag to my mistress's downtime annoys me greatly," Rem laughed sardonically. "More importantly, those robes are just... horrible. Normally, the badger will strip you naked and force you to run a marathon while carrying those clothes in a lead backpack."

Scathach's eyes become enlightened. Luckily, Cytortia and Rem managed to keep their shiver under wrap for the show. Meanwhile, the Drakokia's party looked at their gaudy robe, frowning at how the conversation landed on their fashion.

Rem continued.

"Thankfully, my goddess managed to reason with our exalted badger. Although throwing you into a trash compactor will solve the immediate problem, such an act will only tarnish the honorable Nu Wa's name. I disagree, but life is full of compromises. Don't you think so, my mighty leader?"

"Yes, compromise is dearly missing-"

"I am not talking to an old relic of the past," Rem said, undermining Lucian's sentence. "I am speaking to the girl."

All eyes directed toward the elf girl who got hit in the face with a verbal explosive.

Magnolia Drakokia stifled back a curse.

Lucian's and the blonde-hair elf's expression sank like someone caved their face in with a baseball bat.

As a tactician, Remus Breaker enjoyed playing with the unexpected and the unpredictable. The boy didn't care about structures. What mattered was the goal. The endgame could be winning in Monopoly or even a speech, but Rem would always have a core-strategy to win. All hundreds of random tactics he improvised only existed to further this strategy.

That was the mind of Rem Breaker.

From the very first sentence, Rem aimed to halt the elves' momentum and take the high-ground. Scathach's threat was a tactic to trick the elves that a stake existed in this debate. The glass smashing was pure misdirection and shock value. All those steps paved into one bonfire, an unavoidable inquest at the enemies' weakest link.

"Is this a joke?" Magnolia tried and failed to hide the unstable pitch in her voice.

"You can ask the badger for that," Rem shook his head uncaringly, but internally, he was yelling in triumph. "The exalted furries do hate to hurt an innocent maiden."

Cytortia nearly choked on the water she was sipping.

"However, your companion will be paying the price," Rem winked at the girl.

The elves turned to see Scathath examining a sharpened blade. One slash later and the badger's katana cut through a metal-board like it was a plate of biscuit.

"So, please answer me about a compromise?" Rem leaned closer to Magnolia's face, adding more mental pressure on the thirteen-years old's shoulder. "Surely, you won't disappoint your family's name."

Magnolia gulped but managed a reply.

"Yes, a competent leader had to learn compromise for the good of all."

"Do you mean good of all, or is it good for yourself?" Rem finished the fight by dropping the metaphorical boulder on Magnolia.

Magnolia and Lucian looked as if a badger just threw a time bomb at them.

The two forgotten guards started considering the prospect of employer change.

Cytortia gave Rem a slow clap. Behind her, Scathach sneaked in a thumbs-up.

"But an answer, no matter how much of a lie, is still an answer." Rem bowed toward Cytortia. "My goddess, I present to you two underpaid guards and their masters: an old derelict, an over-confident elf heiress, and an obnoxiously looking blonde young-master. May you grant mercy upon these poor misinformed souls as they try to drag us into their insignificant conflict."

Silence.

Three elves' mouth hung wide open. The raw honesty in such a declaration knocked their logic into a loop. The trio of stooges stood, oblivious that Rem had launched the second phase of his lynching with an all-new goal.

"Disappointing, my servant." Cytortia clapped her hand, catching up to the plan and standing to greet her guest. "I'm sorry to let you down, my dear guest. Come, friends, enemies, and others! Please introduce yourself."

The elves, clearly confused out of their minds, managed to move forward. Their facade of confidence started returning.

"I am Lucian Drakokia," Lucian proudly announced, trying not to let the previous curve-balls got to him as he waved the pair next to him. "This is Artos Sevar, one of the brightest stars the elves ever produce. And I expect you must have heard of my proudest heir and beloved daughter, Magnolia Drakokia."

Rem had to admit Magnolia was rightfully beloved. The ornate staff capped with diamond she was holding must cost a fortune. Almost as expensive as her silver necklace lined with sapphires and tiara of jewelry glittering annoyingly on her hair.

Artos Sevar smiled sweetly. Rem instantly didn't trust him, at least not beyond how far he could shove the prick down a spear. And Lucian's mustache was just creepy.

"I am not amuse," Cytortia stated.

Rem agreed.

"Shall I order the badger to terminate them?"

Scathath tested a spear. It pierced the steel-board like a Hadron collider beam through an elf.

"No, let them try to amuse me. It will be amusing."

Rem entirely agreed with that.

"I excuse my interruption to your evening," Lucian said, ignoring about how he came pretty close into becoming a spear's target. "But your visit to Lightwell is the joyous occasion for all of the elves. I can't believe Avar wouldn't say a single word. You must be here to enlist allies for your master decreed. My Lady; Avar House might be competent, but all know the strength of the Drakokia is unmatched in the North."

"My banner stood with wise men with a good heart. Can you say that about yourself, Lord Drakokia?"

Drakokia smiled haughtily at what he perceived to be raw naivety.

"May I speak lady Cytortia," Artos Savar, the blonde strawman, sensed an attack opportunity.

"Go ahead," Cytortia turned toward Rem. "He is the obnoxious young-master, right?"

"You can call me Artos milady."

"I believe the name is Jafar," Rem said.

"It Sevar," The elf corrected.

"Let stick with Jafar," Cytortia complimented sweetly. "It is a beautiful name."

Jafar/Sevar gave up.

"Now, back to business. Lord Jafar, Lord Drakokia, pardons my intrusion," Rem said. "But I have to ask you? What would stop you from filling our rank with your men only to subvert our organization later?"

Drakokia and Jafar looked at each other as if the honesty caught them with their pant down.

"We have our honor," Drakokia said, aghast. "The elves is one of the most loyal race in Phantasia. We will never violate our oath, Lady Cytortia. I am offended that your servant could announce such a thing. I am truly disappointed that you had recruited such an undisciplined man into her fold."

"I'm also strongly disappointed that you dare to make claims on honor and loyalty," Cytotia replied. "Isn't it you who engineered your own daughter's banishment?"

Drakokia's eyes twitched dangerously. Meanwhile, our host--elder Avar--smiled amusingly and stuffed more popcorn into his face.

"You told her," Drakokia glared at Avar.

"She heard the rumor," the elder replied, feigning sadness. "As a loyal and honorable elf, I wouldn't dare to conceal the truth to my benefactor; especially if it's about my worst regret. Clearly, you understand this too, Lucian."

"We make an oath!"

"The oath didn't mention anything about disclosing her information," Avar replied flatly. "I simply talked; nobody has been forced to act."

Lucian looked like he was about to throw a tantrum, but someone else stepped up to the ring for a beat down.

"May I speak, Lady Cytortia," said Magnolia.

Rem was impressed. The girl had not given up despite the philosophical beating she suffered. He wouldn't count on her surviving for long, though.

"Go ahead," Cytortia said. "Amuse me."

"You appear to be a fan of honor and justice," the raven-hair elf sighed. "I will tell this from experience; justice won't get you anywhere. The other Heavenly Daughters, your senior sisters, disowned such restraint, and they already assembled a force powerful enough to warrant all attention. You, on the other hand, had only a badger and a fool. Lady Tianshang, we have a common enemy."

Magnolia took a deep breath and looked at the goddess in the eyes."Join us, milady, together we can forge an empire that makes all of the sacrifices worth it. Our power is growing exponentially. With the support from you and lady Artio, we would be able to triumph over the like of Fire and Steel, and return balance to Phantasia."

Cytortia's eyes twitched with conflict. Sensing that, Rem gestured her to stop.

"You are certainly right, my dear!" Rem walked forward and tousled the little elf's hair.

Silence.

No one believes a stranger just tousled the hair of Drakokia's heiress. Using that shock, Rem unleashed the technique of a Bajuquian priest who enjoyed the pain of humanity: prattling.

"You are right. How can one person stand against the force of the world? How can a weak ideal stand against the evil you support?"

"What are you doing?" The elf girl said in confusion.

"I am prattling. It's a professionally distinguished practice of those who derived enjoyment from the suffering of others."

And Rem prattled on.

"But what are you without an Ideal--without dreams? With no flag or spiritual values to unite behind, we are nothing more than a savage animal trying to survive. The like of you smash down the monument of good but never have the strength to replace it. But still, I shouldn't expect any better, believing so would be like expecting a rock to understand the meaning of life."

Rem spread his hands. Mana steeped in the ideal borderlining insanity pulsated. 

Lucian stepped away. The difference in strength and experience was in his favor, but at that moment, his battle instinct caught a glimpse of what the boy would become. The boy reminded him too much of the Forbidden Zone's raw intensity.

Beside him, Artos Sevar paled. As for Magnolia, she nearly collapsed on her knees.

Then Rem delivered his proclamation.

"Little girl, do you know it is your ideal which will unite the people and build those empires of yours? We never need dominion nor power; such a thing will only bring misery. What we want is that better tomorrow--a tomorrow where a girl with destruction in her vein can smile proudly when the Gjallarhorn blows and call us to defend what is right in this world. Your empire is a fragile, dainty thing propped by a false bravado of a little family that can't even accept one of their own. Now, who is the pathetic one?"

The speeches raw grandeur backed Magnolia to the fence and left her defenseless.

"It's the elder's decisions that I am an heiress," Magnolia fought back bitterly, trying to divert the conversation. "What happened to Luxinna Drakokia was simply an unfortunate necessity to preserve the Drakokia's reputation."

"I don't associate myself with a clan who betrayed their own," Cytortia's stance was firmer than steel after Rem's speech. "Especially for such a petty reason."

Lucian bristled in rage.

Rem prepared himself. The pressure had done its job. Now, he had to nail in the final tactic to complete the strategem.

Rem pulled out a throwing knife and revealed it to Magnolia.

"Let me make a prophecy, Ms. Drakokia. No one knows who will be right until time decides. I lay mine believe in the concept that heroes and knight of justice will rise. You assume otherwise. So I will prophesize this: there will come as a day when hope seemed lost. When that moment of despair arrives, and hope abandoned you, a shining knight you never believe in will arrive and deliver you this blade. You can mark the blade anyway you want, but know the when it returns to you; it will be the moment where the Age of Heros began."

Magnolia stood stunned until she abruptly doubled over laughing. Behind her, Lucian looked at Rem like he just walked out of an asylum and Artos Sevar--the straw man--stood there uncomfortably.

"Lady Cytortia, your servant is hilarious!" Magnolia guffawed, all the stress leaving her shoulder. "Age of Heroes? What type of stupid age is that? You can barely cloth yourselves but spouse such an outlandish idea. My gosh, this is quite something."

Scathach silently said her prayer as Rem tossed the elf a knife that clattered on the floor.

"Mark the knife or leave it," Rem demanded. "It's up to you."

Magnolia took the knife from the floor and traced her finger on its surface before tossing the blade back at Rem.

"Don't worry," Magnolia gave Rem an arrogance smirk. "That word described you perfectly."

Rem glanced at the glowing purple line etched onto the metal.

'CLOWN'

Rem smiled on the inside. He successfully tricked a little girl into making a bet against the goddess of good.

"Lord Drakokia," Jafar/Sevar said, ultimately realized he was wasting time. "I don't think they will be interested in our deal."

Lucian gave Cytortia a growl, spun his robe dramatically, and left.

With that, they disappeared one by one.

At the last moment, Magnolia turned toward Rem with a bratty look.

"I am looking forward to meeting that knights of yours, Mr.-"

"Kent," Rem lied. "Clark Kent."

6