Chapter 15: Worthiness
148 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Luxinna Drakokia observed at the last memory.

Her posture relaxed, freed from the cage she locked herself inside all these years. Finally, the elf understood what the boy said. He knew she still loves her sister despite everything that happened. The boy knew that she loved Magnolia enough to attack him, and he pressed all the buttons. Luxinna's mouth twitched into a smirk.

She turned toward the goddess in white.

"He was all talk, isn't he?" Luxinna rhetorically asked. "That guy won't kill even if he wants to."

"Yes," the goddess smiled knowingly. "He truly believes life is pains, but despite rarely admitting it, he know in through share agony we understand each other misery. That empathy is why we can't see others as a complete monster. Rem grows up knowing about the worse we can reach, and the terrible things we can do to each other. However, parts about growing up are that he eventually learns that some people can choose to be kind and optimistic. Every day Rem got presented with a choice whether to give the best or the worse to people, and he wants the best possible result at the expense of himself."

Luxinna frowned.

"That guy is everything but optimistic."

"Because he isn't naive," Satholia nodded sadly. 'He knows he should expect the worse despite loving the brightest side of humanity. Rem resent that he is in for disappointments, yet, he still follows through because he believes passionately in the best we can be."

The darkness around them faded. Stars filled the moonless sky. Meanwhile, the rainbow platform rose from the ground, supplanting the muck as the dominant force of this world.

"As their highest leader, I think it is now my turn to pitch," Satholia cleared her throat. "Luxinna Drakokia, will you follow that suicidal path? Are you going to join those two as they climb up the high ground to uphold what is right, even if it makes an entire world their enemies? Or will you choose to live free from all the pain and expectation?"

Satholia gently offered her hand.

"The choice is yours."

Luxinna looked at the woman in front of her.

She ultimately found, no, remember. She finally recalled why she poured nine hours a day, every day, for three years into swinging a branch to think it all for the dream of a nine-year-old. Luxinna bit back a giggle. The joke was hilarious. 

But if that promise was idiotic, she was fine being an idiot.

"So much for growing up," Luxinna grumbled to herself. "Mag was right, after all, I would suck as an heir."

The elf girl turned toward the embodiment of all good.

"Sorry to say both of your followers kinda suck: one a suicidal maniac and the other is a wimp," Luxinna replied, smiling widely for the first time in three years. "Given that, I suck equally hard, would you mind accepting a homeless reject into your stupid organization?"

The elf took the goddess's hand and shook it.

"You are in luck," Satholia smiled back with a perfect business grin. "The founder privilege is still in effect. Rem didn't have time to draft the paperwork, so you are safe at the moment."

Satholia raised her free hand and clicked her fingers.

"Now..." Satholia glared across space and time. "Get off my lawn."

...

In the real world, the Paracis Corrupter shook twice and exploded in a blinding explosion.

In a wave of miraculous breeze, the raging sea of fire quelled into nothingness. Around Cytortia, the tentacles burnt to ashes in blazes of white flames. Sickly smelling liquid cleared, returning into the spring water. The bud that was the Paracis crumbled and cracked into pieces of charcoal, dissipating peacefully into the wind.

But the miracle didn't stop there.

A wave of rainbow-light ran across the forest and cleansed all trace of corruption. Flowers that supposed to be dead came back to life against an explanation of this world or the next. The toxic green taint vanished as the wave of restoration went further as it repaired all the harm done in this world. Even the charred portion of the forest rewind back to its original greenery. 

Cytortia blinked as she founded herself sitting on a bank of a pristine basin. The scent of flowers rose with the vapor of fog created by the falling water. Music melodious of nature filled the air. It was like everything that had happened was nothing but a nightmare. 

The goddess heaved a sigh a relief. 

The darkness was gone, and the peace restored.

Rem laid among the flowers. A shade of white tinged his originally brown hair, but the boy still smiled contently, believing he finally did some good. Beside him, a figure coated in bright light fell, revealing an elf. After her ordeal, Luxinna Drakokia's cloth was pretty much strips of rags barely holding her modesty. She glanced at that majestic waterfall that was once again dispensing clean water before finally closing her tired eyes and fainted.

Cytotia contemplated whether or not she should join them. 

Then in front of her appeared the goddess in a white gown and multi-color aura. 

...

Kilometers away from the battle, Scathach witnessed the multi-color light. She nodded in awe and took a deep breath. 

"I know you are here," the warrior maid said in all her glory while standing on top of a decapitated Hydra. The rest of the corpse burned in behind her, adding another layer of intimidation to the warrior. "Come out, you imbeciles."

Groups of elves emerged from the shadow. They were dressed in silver armor brandishing the banner of a massive tree residing near a pristine river. Their armor was light but well furnished with silver-plating protecting all the vital parts and stacked designed for maximum mobility. They elf-forces assembled in a file and knelt before the woman in punk cloth. Some of them looked in awe at the Hydra she slain as they worship her.

Two familiar figures came out in front of the armored platoon and bent their knees.

One was a familiar elf girl with charcoal black hairs and lilac eyes, and another was-

"Artos Jafar," Scathach said. 

"It Sevar, Milady," Jafer said indignantly. Several elves began giggling behind him "Please stop calling me with that accursed name. In fact, how did you even hear about it anyway?"

Magnolia glared at him reproachfully, before bowing toward the warrior maid some more.

Scathach gritted her teeth. Despite being exiled and half-starved, Luxinna held herself a magnitude prouder than her sister. If this was the best Drakokia's blood had to offer, Luxinna must be adopted.

"Lady Scathach of Skye, my father sent us here to aid you in the battle against the world enemy. Please--"

Thunk!

Scathach hurled a spear which narrowly missed Magnolia's head. Sevar understandably went pale and hurriedly scrambled away from his partner. The surrounding elves, numbering over a hundred, subduedly shivered at Scathach's speed. As for the nearly pin-cushioned Magnolia Drakokia, she fearfully rubbed her scalp. Her eyes trembled with concern.

She thought about what would happen if the spear was thrown a little bit to the side--the image flashing through her head was terrifying.

The two elves suddenly recalled a dangerous woodland animal they met recently. They tried to shove that possibility out of their heads. Such an idea didn't make any sense. 

The great Scathatch wouldn't disguise as a honey badger. Moreover, that goddess was famous for a joke.

As for that mortal, they would rather die than acknowledge that lunatic fool as a threat.

"Lady Scathach," Magnolia contemplated running but remained glued to the ground due by her duty. "Why?"

Scathach furiously raised her eyebrows.

"Did Lucian taught you to scramble for a god every time a world enemy appears?" Scathach waved her spear at the elves. "Where is your pride? Did you hide it away along with your scout that should be here two hours ago?! For heaven's sake, this is your home! Where are you when the World Enemy was detected? Don't tell me your daddy was playing politic to milk this as an accomplishment! Even your half-traumatize sister would be here with me in the front line an hour ago."

Scathach ranted furiously, shrinking the proud elves under her barrage. 

Seeing that, Artos Jafar knelt in front of her.

"Lady Scathach, I understand your anger, but mobilizing the elves took time. Lord Drakokia must-"

Another flying spear nicked Jafar's face.

"I hate it when people bow and scrap for my help," Scatach glared at him, disgusted. "If you want it, then show some spine and prove you are worth it! Prove to me you have the gut and character to be called my comrade. Instead of bowing down for help, put some effort into saving yourself. Did the elven's race gut and pride left with Luxinna when your kind banish her?"

"You met Luxinna," Magnolia's eyes widened in surprise as she started looking around in fear. "Is she--"

"She isn't here," Scathach dismissed the girl coldly. "Don't worry. I won't tell her about your failures. The girl deserved better than that. Today has already been rough enough for her."

Magnolia shifted uncomfortably. Her eyes moved side-to-side, trying their hardest not to betray her confusion.

Finally, she mustered a reply together with a humble curtsey.

"Lady Scathach, I can talk to father about lowering Luxinna's sentence after we deal with World Enemy. But please join forces with our houses, taking on such a monster alone will be hard even for you. The Drakokia will forever be your allies-"

Another spear impaled the ground in front of Magnolia, cutting her off mid-sentence.

"Stupid girl," Scathach gave Magnolia a murderous glare. "The World Enemy had already been taken out."

The elves went silent. Artos Sevar's mouth hung low to swallow an apple whole. Beside him, Magnolia's jewelry draped body froze stiff as her mind went blank. The wind flowed past the army with total neglect, rustling the glass and tree leaves melodically. One word went through all of their heads.

WHAT?

Magnolia and Jafar/Sevar looked at each other and back at the badger. Taking on a World Enemy alone was a feat that qualified anyone for a high-level office anywhere. World Enemy, in general, possessed different weaknesses and strengths. People who fought them needed extensive preparation to come out alive.

So far, the only one that could do that was an S-Rank master like Scathach. While the elves could still accept the woman in front of them could take out the World Enemy by her lonesome, there was a problem. She was fighting a hydra a few minutes ago. Unless she could clone herself, the notion of Scathach taking out the world enemy was impossible. 

"Lady Scathach," Jafar shakily trembled. "Did you--"

"I wish," Scathach interrupted the sentence, "Go back to your bosses and told him to screw his politic."

Scathach jumped down from the Hydra's head and looked back at the platoon.

"Leave," she said. "Don't follow me unless you want to die.

With that, Scathach ran into the forest, leaving hundreds of elves in confusion.

"There is something you never meant to know."

...

Cytortia looked at the floating goddess, stunned.

It was warm. Rem's description couldn't do this goddess justice. Cytortia knew what raw power felt like, but this lady was more than that. She was optimism incarnated. Her very presence dug the happiest memories from the forgotten well with the intensity that sent her down to her knees.

The smile of people she helped, the apple-pies baking class, even her memory with the rabbit, everything good about life was coming back.

Cytortia's eyes watered. No wonder Rem was willing to march to his doom on her request. She finally understands it now. In a certain sense, the light of hope is more addictive than the allure of sin.

"Hello, Cytortia," Satholia drifted down. "We don't have long, but I am glad we finally meet."

Cytortia wiped her eyes.

"Why me?" She pleaded. "I am cowardly, a naive weakling. A failure who shouldn't even be born. Why do you choose me? Why don't you choose someone like that prince from Balperia or the General of the Eastern front? Why?!"

She started shouting.

"Lady Satholia, please reconsider this!?" the goddess begged. "I could never live up to this responsibility. I will never be worthy of this duty. Please take it back for everyone's sake!"

Cytortia mustered everything in her heart to vent her frustration. She got so drained her vigor died at the end of the sentence. 

Satholia shook her head.

"I know how many times you failed," she smiled gently. "Power is never your quality, Cytortia, but no one is more worthy. Despite being oppressed all your life, you never dreamed of crushing others. You can't bring yourself to hurt a fly, and everyone looks down on you for that. I disagreed; you are better than any other candidate. If anything, you prove that by admitting your fault and deny both glory and power."

Satholia's body majestically shined, and a golden stone encrusted with sapphire assembled in the air. It gently floated toward Cytortia.

"Anyone can grow strong," Satholia said. "But what you do with power defined your character. Look at you. I offer you the highest glory, a chance to be remembered as the most renowned leader in history. But you are willing to throw it away for a better candidate. That alone proves your worthiness."

 Slowly, Cytortia accepted the stone. It felt warm. The Mana inside this mineral flowed swiftly like a celestial thunderstorm. Its surface was that of an uncut diamond. The scent of ozone flowed from the soft and delicate ore.

"That golden ore is the root of the Paracyst. With my limited power, I manage to condense all the natural energies the Paracyst's hoard and mix it with my Mana. It is a gift to Luxinna from this forest and me. With it, she will wield the greatest blade ever created in Phantasia."

In the distance, the grass trickled the young elf's face as she slept contently. Satholia smiled as she looked back at those peaceful images as she started to fade.

"The forest loves her, you know. Especially this spring," Satholia glanced at the hopeful sky. "I will be waiting for you at the Land of the Mist, Cytortia. Sorry, but I have to go now."

With it, Satholia faded to nothingness, leaving behind a confused goddess and a golden ore.

And that was how Scathach found them.

7